NATION

PASSWORD

Suggestion: Show Decision Outcomes as Units instead of %

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Pristine Tenor
Secretary

Founded: Oct 02, 2015
Ex-Nation

Suggestion: Show Decision Outcomes as Units instead of %

Postby Pristine Tenor » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:11 am

I just kinda thought it didn't make as much sense to have the stats show as percentages. I think units would be a more comprehensive representation of change :)

Bedetopia
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 12, 2012
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Bedetopia » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:36 pm

Well, it's true that percentages can fool. A huge percentage increase means nothing if the stat was at an all time low.
However, numbers wouldn't be practical either, since scales are not standardized. You've got infinite scales, scales that tend to 0 instead of going negative, scales that rarely go past single units, scales between 0 and 100... You can't know the real meaning of a variation if you don't know what scale the stat uses, and it's painful to check every stat to see that.

Scales need to be standardized to remove decimals, except for some like Lifespan, the Trend Trio, etc. But then you've got a ridiculous amount of Stalins (if you think of it as an upscaled version of the "Hitler SI unit") for Authoritarianism if you do that. That's a tough issue.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:38 pm

My own comparison script lists both the old value, new value, and absolute (additive, not multiplicative) change, in the format "-1.95 Civil Rights (73.28 -> 71.33)", which is generally enough to give a clear picture of how much any change is worth, at least if you're looking directly at it. (The more sensitive stats since the update mean that there's often a plethora of tiny changes to sift through to find the important ones, and my script doesn't currently do the convenient green/red thing of the game's own report page.)

Percentage-based changes are useful for a few stats like Average Income, Average Income of Poor, and Average Income of Rich, which actually seem to be computed as a product rather than sum of factors, and so often change by the same percentage (but completely different absolute values). But for the vast majority of stats, absolute changes are way more informative. Especially the stats which are measured on a 0-100 scale, which really have no business being treated multiplicatively.

[violet]
Executive Director

Founded: Antiquity

Postby [violet] » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:35 pm

It was tried both ways in development. The problem with units is that the scales are wildly different: +1 Stalins is a big change while +100 to Average Income is nothing. So unless you can keep 80 different scales in your head, the raw numbers are pretty meaningless.

It is possible to display both, though, and we do this internally for Editors, so that could possibly be a setting.

King Nephmir II
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 04, 2015
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby King Nephmir II » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:13 pm

[violet] wrote:It was tried both ways in development. The problem with units is that the scales are wildly different: +1 Stalins is a big change while +100 to Average Income is nothing. So unless you can keep 80 different scales in your head, the raw numbers are pretty meaningless.

It is possible to display both, though, and we do this internally for Editors, so that could possibly be a setting.

Perhaps a button to toggle between the two freely?

Rhodevus
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 19, 2013
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Rhodevus » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:33 am

King Nephmir II wrote:
[violet] wrote:It was tried both ways in development. The problem with units is that the scales are wildly different: +1 Stalins is a big change while +100 to Average Income is nothing. So unless you can keep 80 different scales in your head, the raw numbers are pretty meaningless.

Perhaps a button to toggle between the two freely?

i think this would be best.
She/Her
IATA Member Embassy Character Creation 101
Do not argue against me, you will lose...or win, depending on the situation
The Official Madman with a Box
Rodrania wrote:Rhod, I f*cking love you, man. <3
Divergia wrote:The Canadian Polar-Potato-Moose-Cat has spoken!
Beiluxia wrote:Is it just me, or does your name keep getting better the more I see it?

Factbook
International Exchange Student Program Member
XENOS MEMBER OF THE MULTI-SPECIES UNION!

Pristine Tenor
Secretary

Founded: Oct 02, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Pristine Tenor » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:17 am

Probably. No joke, just today I saw my IT industry skyrocket by 12,890%. I checked the graph, and it only showed a tiny bump up, which was because apparently there was almost no IT industry to speak of.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical