NATION

PASSWORD

VPNs?

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Bythyrona
Minister

Founded: Nov 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

VPNs?

Postby Bythyrona » Wed May 27, 2015 3:22 pm

viewtopic.php?p=24717942#p24717942

Can I get confirmation or denial on the allowance of VPNs?
Days like dominoes, all in a line

Emerge transformed in a million years, from days like these

Hobbesistan
Minister

Founded: Jul 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Hobbesistan » Wed May 27, 2015 4:00 pm

Bythyrona wrote:http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?p=24717942#p24717942

Believe this belongs in Moderation, but there is no real 'ban' on using them - only more nuisance ones (I.e Tor exit nodes as they are often used to bypass bans/spam/ect) are regularly blocked.

edit: fris ninja'd *ragequit*
Last edited by Hobbesistan on Wed May 27, 2015 4:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Hobbes
ra, ra rasputin

(Ret.) Maintainer of the Nationstates FAQ and Deletiger (Ret.) of The East Pacific
russia's greatest

Hobbes is always winning, like Charlie Sheen. - Jurisdictions
love machine

Stop right there (hobbes), your rational thought and intellect will destroy the internet. - Sovreignry
it was a shame how

Giraffes think Hobbes regret a lot. A lot of giraffes do. - Rachel
he carried on.

Bezombia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Bezombia » Wed May 27, 2015 4:22 pm

Hobbesistan wrote:
Bythyrona wrote:http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?p=24717942#p24717942

Believe this belongs in Moderation, but there is no real 'ban' on using them - only more nuisance ones (I.e Tor exit nodes as they are often used to bypass bans/spam/ect) are regularly blocked.

Tor is about as much of a VPN as ssh is.
Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon...but down this road we've been so many times...
Please, call me Benomia. Post count +14623, founded Oct. 23, 2012.
Sauritican wrote:We've all been spending too much time with Ben
Verdum wrote:Hey girl, is your name Karl Marx? Because your starting an uprising in my lower classes.
Black Hand wrote:New plan is to just make thousands of disposable firearms and dump them out of cargo planes with tiny drag chutes attached.
Spreewerke wrote:The metric system is the only measurement system that truly meters.
Spreewerke wrote:Salt the women, rape the earth.
Equestican wrote:Ben is love, Ben is life.
Sediczja wrote:real eyes realize real lies
I'm a poet. Come read my poems!

Hobbesistan
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Hobbesistan » Wed May 27, 2015 7:06 pm

Bezombia wrote:
Hobbesistan wrote:Believe this belongs in Moderation, but there is no real 'ban' on using them - only more nuisance ones (I.e Tor exit nodes as they are often used to bypass bans/spam/ect) are regularly blocked.

Tor is about as much of a VPN as ssh is.

Yes, because routing your traffic through three separate proxy servers is about the same as using encrypted traffic.

In the interest of not only my sanity but everyone here, please don't pursue the 'bold proclamations' business unless you have some idea on the fact(s) to back them up.

Time for technical lesson, I suppose.

(warning major geek inbound - known to cause nosebleeds and confusion)

A PROXY SERVER - Masks your host IP address to display one that is not your own, this is done by routing your traffic through the proxy server, thus, to the end server, giving the impression your origin IP is that server. Tor does this and routs your traffic (anonymously) through not one but three servers; the goal being as all traffic is encrypted internally (where I think you may be confused) no one who hosts a node will be able to tell what people within the network are doing, unless the own both a exit and entrance node, which has happened in the past. This process is otherwise known, shockingly, as a Virtual Private Network, though they can be different in say, a office setting, in this case they are essentially identical.

ENCRYPTION - is when your traffic between you and the end server (in this case, NS) is encrypted; only you and the end server can see what is being sent between you (not withstanding security issues, cough, heartbleed, cough). It does nothing to mask who you are unless it's being used in conjunction with a VPN or proxy network, but even Tor's inbound/outbound traffic (notwithstanding internal node-node traffic) isn't encrypted by default.

P.S Example of a tor exit node for novelty
Last edited by Hobbesistan on Wed May 27, 2015 8:43 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Hobbes
ra, ra rasputin

(Ret.) Maintainer of the Nationstates FAQ and Deletiger (Ret.) of The East Pacific
russia's greatest

love machine

Stop right there (hobbes), your rational thought and intellect will destroy the internet. - Sovreignry
it was a shame how

he carried on.

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Wed May 27, 2015 7:13 pm

Hobbesistan wrote:

Actually, TOR was blocked after someone routed a brute force hacking attempt on multiple nations through it.

Hobbesistan
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Hobbesistan » Wed May 27, 2015 7:24 pm

Flibbleites wrote:
Hobbesistan wrote:Believe this belongs in Moderation, but there is no real 'ban' on using them - only more nuisance ones (I.e Tor exit nodes as they are often used to bypass bans/spam/ect) are regularly blocked.

Actually, TOR was blocked after someone routed a brute force hacking attempt on multiple nations through it.

Thanks for the clarification then, mucho gracias.
Hobbes
ra, ra rasputin

russia's greatest

love machine

it was a shame how

he carried on.

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Thu May 28, 2015 4:21 pm

Hobbesistan wrote:
Flibbleites wrote:Actually, TOR was blocked after someone routed a brute force hacking attempt on multiple nations through it.

Thanks for the clarification then, mucho gracias.

No problem, that's an easy thing for me to remember as I was one of the nations hit by it. I woke up that morning, logged on and was told that there had been three bad login attempts.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical