NATION

PASSWORD

[IDEA] Security Council Resolution to Evict Founder

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Shadow Afforess
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Shadow Afforess » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:45 am

Sedgistan wrote:Yep, I understand you are - just some others that posted here were suggesting modifying C/Cs, hence my post.

I understood that, but a lot of people were starting to conflate my idea and C/C proposals. I am not interested in modifying C/C's, that is a separate can of worms.

Sedgistan wrote:As for your suggestion, I'm sure a great deal of fun could be had with it - though I'd question whether we'd just see "De-Founder Nazi Europe IV", as most RPers don't have an interest in going after raiders (they'd prefer not to deal with gameplay), defenders don't generally attack raiders, and raiders wouldn't have the support to successfully target anyone.

There's also the matter of founders being considered "untouchable" - they're the ultimate level of protection for a region, and "De-Founder Prominent_RP_Region" would cause even more upset than Liberate Haven (even if it wouldn't have a chance of success).

[violet] has ruled time and again that no one can "opt-out" of the gameplay aspects of NationStates. Roleplayers are free to complain about this reality, but the fact of the matter is that changing an admins opinion on such a topic would be nigh impossible. If an opinion on such an important issue can not be changed, then the opinion should be embraced instead. That is what this proposal does.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Whiskum
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 10, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Whiskum » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:38 pm

Far from making gameplay more dynamic, this would cause all regions which are not committed to military gameplay to avoid it or indeed any controversy.

Raider groups may well not care about the security of their own regions if this potentially creates the option of expanding targets for them (although in practice I doubt the Security Council would pass resolutions de-foundering regions for raiders, so this change would ultimately come down to a one-sided method of targeting raiders and any other unpopular region) - I should stress that I have not asked them, so I do not know, but I imagine that a region committed to the raider-defender game as its primary focus might enjoy a more risky environment in which there is more for them to play for.

However, gameplay regions which raid but which do so as a side focus, such as for foreign policy reasons, and which are not fundamentally raider, would no longer have the same incentive to do so. The LKE, TNI and Albion, and similar regions, raid because it is in their interests to do so. The act of raiding is unpopular - but at present game-wide popularity does not come into the equation, we do not need to care about what non-allies think. Allowing the SC, which often passes anti-raider and pro-defender resolutions, to target unpopular regions in this way would change the interests of these regions and others.

The result would be that all political gameplay regions would have an active incentive to avoid unpopularity and to secure their own regions. Thus, rather than seeing political gameplay regions using their armed forces as an instrument of foreign policy, you would see raiding confined to those who love it; those prepared to risk having their region de-foundered for it. In the end this would render military gameplay less lively, more predictable and less political.

Military gameplay should be open to regions who are not committed raiders/defenders and who care first about other things, namely a stable domestic region. The effect of rendering unpopular regions vulnerable is such that only those really committed to raiding would embrace it: likewise anything else controversial. Regions should be allowed to engage in military activity while enjoying the benefits of a guaranteed stable domestic community.

Those benefits are not exclusive: any group of people can build a stable community by founding a region under the present structures. Ultimately, no founderless region which is not passworded or secured with a very high number of endorsements is ever really safe - by maintaining a founderless region as your group's base, you accept that - however you also have the opportunity to build your community (or rebuild it) around a founded region and thereby gaining true security. Founded regions are the only true security in this game and are the precondition on which stable regional communities are built. If you compromise that edifice of stability by features like this SC mechanism, the risk will be to seriously undermine the spheres of activity that rest on it.
Emperor Emeritus of The Land of Kings and Emperors
King Emeritus of Norwood, Basileus Emeritus of Polis, etc.

Prince of Jomsborg, of Balder

Archduke, of The New Inquisition
Viscount, of Great Britain and Ireland
Honoured Citizen of Europeia
Emperor of the LKE
LKE Prime Minister
LKE Chief of the Imperial General Staff

Crown Prince of TNI
Commander of TNI Armed Forces
Director General of TNI Intelligence

Vice Delegate and Crown Prince of Balder
Balder Statsminister
Balder Chief of Defence

GB&I Home Secretary
GB&I First Sea Lord

Chief Justice of Europeia

Member, Imperial Military Council, UIAF
Supreme Allied Commander, SRATO

WA Delegate of The Rejected Realms

Riftend
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 29, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Riftend » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:25 pm

I made rather clear it was a personal opinion now didn't I? My opinion being that the Security coucal should affect nothing in gameplay aside from giving a region a gold star for being a defender or a big bad angry face if they were naughty and raided someone - I am aware this is not everyone's opinion.

This here is a terrible idea as all raiding regions would be put through constantly having their founder kicked and ultimately having to regionless or change regions every few days - So a complete destruction of a gameplay aspect. The people who would be affected most by this would have no say in the matter - Fairly undemocratic having the people who have negative views towards someone deciding their fate....main reason why in court systems the judge has to step down if there is a conflict of interest.

If people are so butthurt about having a crap founder do as I did and found our own region. Quiet often the reason people hate on their founder has nothing to do with whether or not they are evil - but because they don't realise how much work is involved in the job that you can't exactly take a break from. Everyone expects our attention and you are told to make every one happy - It doesn't happen.

All I can see from this I 100 proposals a week of people who don't like their founder because he didn't vote for them or something like that.

The last issue is this would be the regions problem with the founder and not the rest of the world. No one would really know whether or not the founder is evil because majority of the world does not live in said region.

Seriously this is a terrible idea.

EDIT: Removed a Quote and Removed a sentance
Last edited by Riftend on Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
About Me
True Neutral
Economic Left/Right: 1.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.82
Prophet of
The
Coalition of Freedom

Freedom is not a right - but a privilege provided through citizenship
------------------------------Raider------------------------------
| CoF Foreign Relations | Riftend's Factbook | CoF Overview |

Astarial
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 12, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Astarial » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:22 pm

Whiskum wrote:However, gameplay regions which raid but which do so as a side focus, such as for foreign policy reasons, and which are not fundamentally raider, would no longer have the same incentive to do so. The LKE, TNI and Albion, and similar regions, raid because it is in their interests to do so. The act of raiding is unpopular - but at present game-wide popularity does not come into the equation, we do not need to care about what non-allies think. Allowing the SC, which often passes anti-raider and pro-defender resolutions, to target unpopular regions in this way would change the interests of these regions and others.

The result would be that all political gameplay regions would have an active incentive to avoid unpopularity and to secure their own regions. Thus, rather than seeing political gameplay regions using their armed forces as an instrument of foreign policy, you would see raiding confined to those who love it; those prepared to risk having their region de-foundered for it. In the end this would render military gameplay less lively, more predictable and less political.

Alternatively, it could render it more political - if regions like The LKE, TNI, and Albion want to keep raiding as they have been, they would need to guarantee their protection by, for example, allying with prominent GCRs (something all of those regions already do). If it's included in treaties that allies must stomp against any attempt to remove one another's founders, and the allies are strong enough in combination, political regions that raid would be able to continue to do so without concern.
Ballotonia: Astarial already phrased an answer very well. Hence I'll just say: "Me too."1
Purriest Kitteh, 2012

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:33 pm

I think the point Whiksum is making (though I'm sure he'll say I'm wrong) is that TNI, LKE, and Albion don't want to be the "R" of R/D. They don't see themselves as raiders. They merely see raiding as an activity that is their interests. They want an "opt-out" of R/D, too. They just want to keep raiding while not having to be raiders, and without a founder, it's suddenly more difficult to maintain their position.
Last edited by Glen-Rhodes on Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Astarial
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Astarial » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:37 pm

Glen-Rhodes wrote:I think the point Whiksum is making (though I'm sure he'll say I'm wrong) is that TNI, LKE, and Albion don't want to be the "R" of R/D. They don't see themselves as raiders. They merely see raiding as an activity that is their interests. They want an "opt-out" of R/D, too. They just want to keep raiding while not having to be raiders, and without a founder, it's suddenly more difficult to maintain their position.

Right, but they can keep doing that and still keep their founders by politicking more heavily.
Ballotonia: Astarial already phrased an answer very well. Hence I'll just say: "Me too."1
Purriest Kitteh, 2012

Whiskum
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 10, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Whiskum » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:20 pm

Astarial wrote:
Whiskum wrote:However, gameplay regions which raid but which do so as a side focus, such as for foreign policy reasons, and which are not fundamentally raider, would no longer have the same incentive to do so. The LKE, TNI and Albion, and similar regions, raid because it is in their interests to do so. The act of raiding is unpopular - but at present game-wide popularity does not come into the equation, we do not need to care about what non-allies think. Allowing the SC, which often passes anti-raider and pro-defender resolutions, to target unpopular regions in this way would change the interests of these regions and others.

Alternatively, it could render it more political - if regions like The LKE, TNI, and Albion want to keep raiding as they have been, they would need to guarantee their protection by, for example, allying with prominent GCRs (something all of those regions already do). If it's included in treaties that allies must stomp against any attempt to remove one another's founders, and the allies are strong enough in combination, political regions that raid would be able to continue to do so without concern.

The consequence of that scenario is to concentrate increasing power into the hands of certain GCRs directly at the expense of large UCRs.

At present, having a powerful military gives foreign affairs advantages to large UCRs. Under the model you present, it's a hindrance that needs buying.

Moreover, the risk would still remain very great: in the case of the UIAF regions, there is very defined anti-UIAF GCR bloc (TRR, TP, Lazarus) and the range of the votes in the World Assembly (never mind individual nations) extends well beyond a list of regions that the UIAF regions could ally with. It would present no secure guarantee against an outcome which could only be described as a complete and unmitigated catastrophe that could not be contemplated.

Raiding at the moment is an advantageous add-on for political gameplay regions: not something which they like for itself, but an add-on which if they utilise they can gainfrom. With this change, that add-on risks losing these regions their founders and potentially increases their dependence on others.

Why keep such an impediment? The entire balance of calculation in relation to whether to raid or not changes.

You say, 'it could render it more political': that depends what you mean. If by 'it', you mean military gameplay, the risk of political gameplay regions no longer wishing to participate in an activity which is now a political disadvantage for them means that it would make military gameplay less political.

It would add a political element, but only in the sense that it would alter an already uneven balance of power even further in the direction of GCRs.

Finally, while obviously the UIAF regions' examples illustrate my point, my comments can be applied to other political gameplay regions as well.

Indeed, more so, because the alliances you point to the UIAF regions as holding are not necessarily going to exist for other UCRs.

User-created regions should have the capacity to fashion and implement a foreign policy which includes military action - with relative ease.
Emperor Emeritus of The Land of Kings and Emperors
King Emeritus of Norwood, Basileus Emeritus of Polis, etc.

Prince of Jomsborg, of Balder

Archduke, of The New Inquisition
Viscount, of Great Britain and Ireland
Honoured Citizen of Europeia
Emperor of the LKE
LKE Prime Minister
LKE Chief of the Imperial General Staff

Crown Prince of TNI
Commander of TNI Armed Forces
Director General of TNI Intelligence

Vice Delegate and Crown Prince of Balder
Balder Statsminister
Balder Chief of Defence

GB&I Home Secretary
GB&I First Sea Lord

Chief Justice of Europeia

Member, Imperial Military Council, UIAF
Supreme Allied Commander, SRATO

WA Delegate of The Rejected Realms

Astarial
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Astarial » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:24 pm

That's a fair point, and you're right - it would give GCRs more power and prominence and put smaller UCRs at greater risk, thereby keeping them from participating. Neither of those are things I support.
Purriest Kitteh, 2012

Klaus Devestatorie
Minister

Founded: Aug 28, 2008
Capitalizt

Postby Klaus Devestatorie » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:20 am

I sympathise with the intent behind the proposal, but the regions that in a perfect world would deserve this the most are the same regions that would have the least practical or emotional attachment to their previous home webpage region, and as a result... what's the point? :|

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Re: [IDEA] Security Council Resolution to Evict Founder

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:36 am

Why is everybody assuming that raiders have no attachment to their regions? There is no UDL of raiders and there hasn't been for a very long time. Raiders would definitely see it as a huge blow to have their own region raided.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Riftend
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 29, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Riftend » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:46 am

Glen-Rhodes wrote:Why is everybody assuming that raiders have no attachment to their regions? There is no UDL of raiders and there hasn't been for a very long time. Raiders would definitely see it as a huge blow to have their own region raided.

Gotta disagree with ya mate 8)

If it came down to no founder raiding organisations would have their citizens live EVERYWHERE and operate from an offsite forum. It'd work fine - I still don't support this though.
About Me
True Neutral
Economic Left/Right: 1.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.82
Prophet of
The
Coalition of Freedom

Freedom is not a right - but a privilege provided through citizenship
------------------------------Raider------------------------------
| CoF Foreign Relations | Riftend's Factbook | CoF Overview |

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:57 am

Riftend wrote:
Glen-Rhodes wrote:Why is everybody assuming that raiders have no attachment to their regions? There is no UDL of raiders and there hasn't been for a very long time. Raiders would definitely see it as a huge blow to have their own region raided.

Gotta disagree with ya mate 8)

If it came down to no founder raiding organisations would have their citizens live EVERYWHERE and operate from an offsite forum. It'd work fine - I still don't support this though.

It'd "work fine" obviously -- defenders have already proven that with the UDL. Whether or not it would work doesn't have any bearing on whether or not raiders would see the fall of their own regions as a defeat. History has shown that raiders are for more attached to their regions than people in this thread are suggesting. There are no founderless raider orgs. There is no Raider UDL. Raiders even trumpet their victory whenever they take a region associated with a defender org, showing that they believe regions do matter.

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 29, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:34 am

Shadow Afforess wrote:[violet] has ruled time and again that no one can "opt-out" of the gameplay aspects of NationStates.

Uh, no. The ruling has always been that having a founder is the sole opt-out to r/d, despite the difficulty of refounding a large region, especially one being targeted by raiders. (What is it with you misciting rulings?) You're suggesting taking away the one accepted way to opt out of r/d. Keep in mind that every other aspect of the game is opt-in; your preferred part is the only one that people can be forced into without doing anything. Your proposed purpose for this idea is to allow regions that have been raided to get revenge; that's a giant load of crap and you know it: those regions have no desire to participate in r/d. The only real use for this would be to force everyone to participate in r/d, even those who have gone to the effort of utilising the long-standing sole opt-out.
If you see I've made a mistake in my wording or a factual detail, telegram me and I'll fix it. I'll even give you credit for pointing it out, if you'd like.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

[violet]: Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Me, responding to a request to vote for a liberation: But... but that would blemish my near-perfect history of spitefully voting against anything the SC does!
Farnhamia: That is not to be taken as license to start calling people "buttmunch."

GPG key ID: A8960638 fingerprint: 2239 2687 0B50 2CEC 28F7 D950 CCD0 26FC A896 0638

they/them pronouns

Benevolent Thomas
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Benevolent Thomas » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:05 pm

Unibot III wrote:Invaders would go regionless like the UDL

Yeah, I think this is what will happen as well. I do not like this proposal very much, although I applaud Afforess for his creativity. Wasn't there recently a TRT article that claimed that the GCRs basically determine the outcome of every SC vote? "Evict Founder" SC proposals will make the GCRs even more powerful and players would flock to them in order to influence their votes. This could be used to strip both Grub and Evil Wolf of their foundership, lets just think about that for a minute. That's what the SC would devolve into. tit-for-tat founder evictions to carry out vendetta invasions/griefings.
Ballotonia wrote:Personally, I think there's something seriously wrong with a game if it willfully allows the destruction of longtime player communities in favor of kids whose sole purpose is to enjoy ruining the game for others.

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Founded: Sep 29, 2010
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:07 pm

Benevolent Thomas wrote:
Unibot III wrote:Invaders would go regionless like the UDL

Yeah, I think this is what will happen as well. I do not like this proposal very much, although I applaud Afforess for his creativity. Wasn't there recently a TRT article that claimed that the GCRs basically determine the outcome of every SC vote? "Evict Founder" SC proposals will make the GCRs even more powerful and players would flock to them in order to influence their votes. This could be used to strip both Grub and Evil Wolf of their foundership, lets just think about that for a minute. That's what the SC would devolve into. tit-for-tat founder evictions to carry out vendetta invasions/griefings.

There is a legitimate point to be made by pointing out that historically raiders have clung to region names.
Ideological Bulwark #253
Retired Major of The Black Hawks
Retired Charter Nation: Political Affairs in Antarctic Oasis
Retired Colonel of DEN Central Command, now defunct
Former Delegate of The South Pacific, winner of TSP's "Best Dali" Award
Retired Secretary of Defense of Stargate
Terror of The Joint Systems Alliance
Mall Isaraider, son of Tram and Spartz, Brother of Tal and apparently Sev the treacherous bastard.
Frattastan quote of the month: Mall is following those weird beef-only diets now.

Oaledonia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Oaledonia » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:14 pm

Shadow Afforess wrote:[violet] has ruled time and again that no one can "opt-out" of the gameplay aspects of NationStates. Roleplayers are free to complain about this reality, but the fact of the matter is that changing an admins opinion on such a topic would be nigh impossible. If an opinion on such an important issue can not be changed, then the opinion should be embraced instead. That is what this proposal does.

She also promised us that we would have options to defend ourselves.
As it stands, both the Founder status and passwords were said to be our defense. Without the founder, we are once again effectively defenseless, and it would force Violet to implement something else. Lest she be make a liar of herself.
Last edited by Wikipe-tan on January 13, 2006 4:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The lovable PMT nation of hugs and chibi! Now with 75% more Hanyū!
Oaledonian wiki | Decoli Defense | Embassy | OAF Military Info
Blackjack-and-Hookers wrote:
Oaledonia wrote:I'll go make my own genocidal galactic empire! with blackjack and hookers

You bet your ass you will!
Divair wrote:NSG summer doesn't end anymore. Climate change.
Under construction
*POLITICALLY CONTENTIOUS STATEMENTS INTENSIFY*

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:33 pm

Benevolent Thomas wrote:That's what the SC would devolve into. tit-for-tat founder evictions to carry out vendetta invasions/griefings.

I'm not sure how that's any different, fundamentally, from what the R/D game (including the SC) already is.

Northrop-Grumman
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 28, 2003
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Northrop-Grumman » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:15 pm

Yeah, no. That'll remove the one last barrier non-R/D folks have to being completely annihilated regionwise. At that point, I'd just let my own region timeout and decamp to TRR where I'll just let everything rot away and never interact with anyone gameside again. There's no real point in having a region then if it can be snatched away from you by a vote. Might as well do like a select few folks do and just only see the gameside to log in so that you can go directly to the forums.
Last edited by Northrop-Grumman on Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alvalero
Envoy

Founded: Jun 05, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Alvalero » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:36 am

Against.
While it makes things interesting it is little more than a tool which will be abused to the point of making military gameplay laughable.
UCR's with founders shouldn't be punished for having active founders.
Same goes for founders who decide to become dictators of the region they created(get a condemnation proposal going if you feel so strongly about them). They founded the region they can do whatever they like with it. At the end of the day the founder made the region for a reason and should reenforce whatever twisted vision they have for the region on it. If people don't like it then they can leave and either find a region which suits their views or found their own region.
Zander Cerebella
Prince of Aarhus

Duke of New Hyperion(Wintreath)
Autarch of New Hyperion

Former Delegate, Vice Delegate & Statsminister of Balder

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical