NATION

PASSWORD

Suggestion - Streamlined Way to Report Major Forum Issues

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Gregoryisgodistan
Senator

Founded: Jun 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Suggestion - Streamlined Way to Report Major Forum Issues

Postby Gregoryisgodistan » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:16 pm

The forum was completely down earlier today for numerous, if not all, users, including me. When I went to the help page, it told me to submit a post in the Technical Forum if I found a bug, but of course I couldn't since the forums were down. In the end, I submitted a GHR since I didn't know what else to do, but I'm still not sure if that was the right way to report it. So I think there should be a clearer way to report that you can't post to the forum for whatever reason. Maybe have a separate category of GHR? Telling people to post in the Technical Forum is fine for most bugs, but if the bug is stopping them from posting, it really doesn't work.
Gregoryisgodistan, population 75,000,000. All citizens are required to worship Lord Almighty Gregory, our head of state, as a deity.
IBS II Champions
Beach Cup IX Round of 16
World Indoor Soccer Championship 6 - 2nd place
BoI XIV Champion
IBS III Champions
WCoH 22 Round of 16
WB XXII 10th Place in Casaran, advanced to Round of 32
IBS IV host, champion
4th in WCoH 23
WBC 29 QF
HWC 12 hosts
WJHC VI 2nd place,
CoH 60 4th place
WCoH XXIV Champs
CoH 61 Runner-Up
IBS VI Champs
BOI XVI Host
IBS VII Champs
WCoH XXV 2nd Place
WBC 32 2nd Place
IBS VIII host and champs
WBC 33 Host/QF
WCoH 27 co-host and champs
WC 72 Qualifier
WBC 34 champs
CoH 67 Third place

Jeckland
Minister

Founded: Nov 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Jeckland » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:54 pm

Gregoryisgodistan wrote:The forum was completely down earlier today for numerous, if not all, users, including me. When I went to the help page, it told me to submit a post in the Technical Forum if I found a bug, but of course I couldn't since the forums were down. In the end, I submitted a GHR since I didn't know what else to do, but I'm still not sure if that was the right way to report it. So I think there should be a clearer way to report that you can't post to the forum for whatever reason. Maybe have a separate category of GHR? Telling people to post in the Technical Forum is fine for most bugs, but if the bug is stopping them from posting, it really doesn't work.

I think there should be a status site offsite for stuff like this. If you remember about a week ago the whole game broke, and there is currently no obvious way to report this.
Winners: N/A
Runners Up: WBC 30 & 31, Memorial Cup
Semi Final: CE 26, WBC 35, WLC 20

Leutria
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 29, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Leutria » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:58 pm

I will note that you don't really need to report major outages. If I recall the admin get an e-mail whenever the servers are down, and obviously whatever moderators are online at the moment would notice and report it.

Oaledonia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Oaledonia » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:04 pm

Leutria wrote:I will note that you don't really need to report major outages. If I recall the admin get an e-mail whenever the servers are down, and obviously whatever moderators are online at the moment would notice and report it.

Not only that, but you could also e-mail the admins directly if the issue is serious enough.
Last edited by Wikipe-tan on January 13, 2006 4:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The lovable PMT nation of hugs and chibi! Now with 75% more Hanyƫ!
Oaledonian wiki | Decoli Defense | Embassy | OAF Military Info
Blackjack-and-Hookers wrote:
Oaledonia wrote:I'll go make my own genocidal galactic empire! with blackjack and hookers

You bet your ass you will!
Divair wrote:NSG summer doesn't end anymore. Climate change.
Under construction
*POLITICALLY CONTENTIOUS STATEMENTS INTENSIFY*

Jeckland
Minister

Founded: Nov 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Jeckland » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:07 pm

Oaledonia wrote:
Leutria wrote:I will note that you don't really need to report major outages. If I recall the admin get an e-mail whenever the servers are down, and obviously whatever moderators are online at the moment would notice and report it.

Not only that, but you could also e-mail the admins directly if the issue is serious enough.

The only place I know of where the admin email is publicly available is the forums. And if they're down that's useless.
Winners: N/A
Runners Up: WBC 30 & 31, Memorial Cup
Semi Final: CE 26, WBC 35, WLC 20

Land of Minecraft
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 20, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Land of Minecraft » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:29 pm

Gregoryisgodistan wrote:The forum was completely down earlier today for numerous, if not all, users, including me. When I went to the help page, it told me to submit a post in the Technical Forum if I found a bug, but of course I couldn't since the forums were down. In the end, I submitted a GHR since I didn't know what else to do, but I'm still not sure if that was the right way to report it. So I think there should be a clearer way to report that you can't post to the forum for whatever reason. Maybe have a separate category of GHR? Telling people to post in the Technical Forum is fine for most bugs, but if the bug is stopping them from posting, it really doesn't work.

A really good website to use for this kind of thing is iidrn.com It has all the info on if a website is down or not, and you can report issues on there.

I've found this website extremely helpful in solving these kinds of issues. :)
Last edited by Land of Minecraft on Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I love Minecraft!
If you have any questions about Minecraft, feel free to telegram me!
Also, I love to say nice things about people! Telegram me, and I'll find something nice to say about you! We must destroy the haters!

GENERATION 32: The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:38 pm

Both forum posts and Getting Help Reports are handled by mods, so it really doesn't matter which method is used - it will only go to an active mod. Given our geographic distribution, there is almost always an active mod around, even if they're not actively modding. So events like the forum outage were quickly and obviously apparent to the moderation team.

The mods have ways of reaching the admins, but there are really only two active admins at the moment. Ballotonia saw the outage, checked his access, and found he couldn't even log in to reboot. The only admin who can deal with host-side errors (which I believe this was) is [violet], and frankly a short term forum outage is not something she needs to get up in the middle of the night to deal with. She'll see the mod email pretty much first thing upon waking, and is usually pretty quick to deal with it.

Nothing a player could have sent would have been received any earlier. The only thing that would have sped things up would have been a middle of the night international phone call, and I'm not going to be the one making that call. No money was lost. No one was injured. Nothing bad happened except you couldn't chat with your online pals for a few hours.

I'm not seeing anything that needs fixing.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical