NATION

PASSWORD

Peacezones -Up for debate

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Letoilenoir
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Peacezones -Up for debate

Postby Letoilenoir » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:17 am

Peacezones?

This isn't my idea and it maybe that it is either not a feasible proposal, or actually serves no purpose, but as Ballotonia has requested here goes:

Whereas the Warzones were specifically designed to be fought over in traditionnal R/D fashion, the feeling I get from the discussion so far on peacezones is that political manouevering rather than sheer military might is envisaged as the primary factor in leading the region, or that is my interpretation

Please feel free to interject at any point, this is just me throwing a few ideas out to see if they hold any water

Now the following is all conjecture so please bear with me, but if we allow that the delegate post will still exist with the WA powers that that entails, we can see that peacezones already exist in the form of GCR's where founder has decreed that the Delegate should be non-executive.

Now it might be that this fact has been overlooked by The Doves of NS - after all they can get their candidate into the delegate spot and thus influence the WA legislation.

However , thats about all they can do , and this may be the primary reason why we are not seeing these regions contested- they cannot agree or rescind embassies and they cannot publicise that their faction has gained "control" because the WFE cannot be amended

If this is indeed what constitutes a "Peacezone" then there is no further need for discussion

However if you want to encourage political competition in a Peacezone to nurture the arts of tact and diplomacy you have to conceed that the Delegate should be more than just the regions "rubber stamp" on WA business

Power to Eject
The first logical step then would be to remove this facility, or have it held in trust by the Founder/WA

Delegates could then still comtrol Embassies, and WFE, but could not simply eject the opposition should they be successful in gaining the delegate post.

Much as they may want to, the Republican Party in the USA could not simply deport all Democrat Party members even if they won overwhelming, in the Senate, Congress and Presidential arenas

But isn't what I have just described what already happens in TRR? If so should we be looking at duplicating the functionality of TRR for GCR's (minus sending ejected nations there of course)
Last edited by Letoilenoir on Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
KEEP THE BLOOD CAVE FREE

Warzone Codger
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 30, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Warzone Codger » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:43 am

Well....if there's actually a technical thread for it. I like the original idea, lets try not to over think it.

Crushing Our Enemies wrote:Peacezone - a region with no founder nor regional delegate. People can get as angry as they want at one another, and disagree as much as they like, but no one can take violent action. People can gain influence, but it doesn't mean anything. People can create forums, but those forums could not be officially tied to the region, as no one has the ability to put them in the WFE. Any "leadership" would be symbolic and powerless, because they have no ability to enforce any policies or exert their will on another nation.

It'd be weird. Possibly completely pointless.

The bold part is what really caught my attention. No powers, not even WFE, so no one could ever claim any sort of in-game "officialness", and any forums/government that succeeds will be because to supreme diplomacy and mutual acceptance.

I wonder if there should be a (powerless) delegate though, and like the Warzones a prominent record on who is the longest delegate. Merely as a vague symbol of who won the most.

Why would anyone play it? Maybe there are more masochists who find this bizzaro world oddly intriguing.
Warwick Z Codger the Warzone Codger.
Warzone Pioneer | Peacezone Philosopher | Scourge of Polls | Forever Terror Officer of TRR
GA #121: Medical Facilities Protection | SC #183: Commend Haiku | Commended by SC #87: Commend Warzone Codger

Crushing Our Enemies
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 16, 2004
Corporate Police State

Postby Crushing Our Enemies » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:55 pm

Warzone Codger wrote:I wonder if there should be a (powerless) delegate though, and like the Warzones a prominent record on who is the longest delegate. Merely as a vague symbol of who won the most.

Why would anyone play it? Maybe there are more masochists who find this bizzaro world oddly intriguing.

I think a powerless delegate would be in the spirit of things, but a record of who's the longest would prompt people to invade and conquer it in hopes of getting that record. Any sense of competition kind of goes against the spirit of peace.

Would anyone play it? Maybe not. Nonetheless, there might be some attractiveness in a region that can never be conquered, you can never be ejected from, and is permanently outside the realm of control of ... anyone. It might be a nice place to retire.

EDIT: The more I think about it, the more a delegate doesn't make sense, for the same reasons having a longest delegate record doesn't. It injects an element of competition into a place that should really, in my mind, be devoid of it.
Last edited by Crushing Our Enemies on Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[violet] wrote:You are definitely not genial.
[violet] wrote:Congratulations to Crushing Our Enemies for making the first ever purchase. :)

Syrakhstan
Envoy

Founded: Apr 14, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Syrakhstan » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:27 pm

It would be interesting to see this play out in a founderless region that's willing to - uhm shall we say "play the role of guinea pig." If this were accepted into the game mechanics.
DEFCON: [2]
Tech Level Varies: (Technology ranging from 1191-2012)
[When I do past tech, I tend to toss in a just a bit of Fantasy.]
Current Roleplays: None.
If you have to ask, you'll never know. If you know, you need only ask.

Crushing Our Enemies
Ambassador

Corporate Police State

Postby Crushing Our Enemies » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:05 pm

Syrakhstan wrote:It would be interesting to see this play out in a founderless region that's willing to - uhm shall we say "play the role of guinea pig." If this were accepted into the game mechanics.

Yeah, I can tell you that ain't gonna happen. As soon as a region declared that they were gonna try it, someone would probably raid them for irony.
[violet] wrote:Congratulations to Crushing Our Enemies for making the first ever purchase. :)

Syrakhstan
Envoy

Founded: Apr 14, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Syrakhstan » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:59 pm

Crushing Our Enemies wrote:
Syrakhstan wrote:It would be interesting to see this play out in a founderless region that's willing to - uhm shall we say "play the role of guinea pig." If this were accepted into the game mechanics.

Yeah, I can tell you that ain't gonna happen. As soon as a region declared that they were gonna try it, someone would probably raid them for irony.

Why not a not so much founderless region such as Eastern Islands of Dharma, if I'm correct Unibot left and locked it down. I'm not sure if everyone else followed suit.
DEFCON: [2]
Tech Level Varies: (Technology ranging from 1191-2012)
[When I do past tech, I tend to toss in a just a bit of Fantasy.]
Current Roleplays: None.
If you have to ask, you'll never know. If you know, you need only ask.

Crushing Our Enemies
Ambassador

Corporate Police State

Postby Crushing Our Enemies » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:35 pm

There can't really be a true test, because unless it's a game-created region accompanying a news post, we won't see how the general community would treat it.

Frattastan
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 24, 2007
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frattastan » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:21 am

I'd support the creation of a Peacezone as a new GCR, with no access regional controls (no passwords, no WFE changes, no ejections). :)

If technically possible (probably not), I'd like it there was no Delegate seat at all.
San Francisco Bay Area (forum) | Founderless Regions Alliance (FRA) | Rejected Realms Army (RRA)

Drop Your Pants wrote:I think raiders are cute, the way they think they're big and scary people who threaten others :)

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:55 am

Crushing Our Enemies wrote:Would anyone play it? Maybe not. Nonetheless, there might be some attractiveness in a region that can never be conquered, you can never be ejected from, and is permanently outside the realm of control of ... anyone. It might be a nice place to retire.
It might be a nice place for a group of friends who just want to answer issues and compare their rankings to each other -- and maybe chat on the RMB a bit -- because they'd be able to count on their nations staying in the same region as each other (for easy comparison, & chatting) but probably wouldn't be as "swamped" by neighbours there as they'd be in any of the sinks...
I agree that such a region having no delegate at all would be better than it having a powerless one.
Last edited by Bears Armed on Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Galiantus
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Galiantus » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:42 am

This idea is awesome. I have always wanted to see a truely WA-free, raider/defender free region that could be considered a "middle ground" compared to all regions. There has always been a large amount of conflict between raiders/defenders, GCRs/PCRs, Anti-WA/Pro-WA, and various forms of other regions, but never a place where Gameplayers can have no conflict. I think the creation of such a blank region (GCR or PCR) would provide enough neutral ground that could open up new types of politics in the game.

However, if this idea is implamented, I would like to ask first that if this region is GCR only, that either 1) it is not also a feeder or 2) it is the only feeder(s) and replace(s) the Pacifics. Otherwise its position as the most purely neutral region in the game would be tainted, simply because it would continue to side with the other feeders when voicing opinions on issues like recruiting.

A few things to consider, if the WAD position was completely removed from this region type:
1. No one could regulate the RMB
2. No one could edit the WFE
3. No one could add tags, other than the automatic ones
4. The region would have very little political power in the WA
Although I like the idea of completely removing the WAD position from the region, I want to point out that there needs to be someone who can at least manage the WFE to maintain order. But I guess that might be the point of this region: a place outside the regions.

I would also like to suggest the possibility of allowing players to create the equivilent of "Peace Zones" on their own, by simply adding an option to completely remove the WA delegate seat from the region. Should the founder CTE, there are a host of options to choose from, including automatically moving the residents of the region to the GCR Peace Zone and destroying the region (this game is all about trade-offs in politics, right?)
Last objected by The World Assembly on Wednesday, August 1, 2012, objected 400 times in total.
Benjamin Franklin wrote:"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch."
Ballotonia wrote:Testing is for sissies. The actual test is to see how many people complain when any change is made ;)

On NationStates, We are the Good Guys:Aretist NatSovs

Crushing Our Enemies
Ambassador

Corporate Police State

Postby Crushing Our Enemies » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:00 pm

Galiantus wrote:A few things to consider, if the WAD position was completely removed from this region type:
1. No one could regulate the RMB
2. No one could edit the WFE
3. No one could add tags, other than the automatic ones
4. The region would have very little political power in the WA
Although I like the idea of completely removing the WAD position from the region, I want to point out that there needs to be someone who can at least manage the WFE to maintain order. But I guess that might be the point of this region: a place outside the regions.

Exactly! Regulation of the RMB would be a form of hard power and political assertion, which goes contrary to the spirit of this suggestion. Similarly, there is no need for tags or WA power, because no one ought to have the right to decide what tags are added, nor how to wield any hard power the region gained in the WA.

Galiantus wrote:I would also like to suggest the possibility of allowing players to create the equivilent of "Peace Zones" on their own, by simply adding an option to completely remove the WA delegate seat from the region. Should the founder CTE, there are a host of options to choose from, including automatically moving the residents of the region to the GCR Peace Zone and destroying the region (this game is all about trade-offs in politics, right?)

Ehh, I don't like this idea. It seems complicated and unnecessary.

I think the name "Peacezone" sounds a little off. "Warzone" makes sense cause that's an actual real life thing. This region should have a name like "No Man's Land" or "Neutral Ground" (although that second one should probably be avoided, to prevent people from thinking it's gameplay-only).

Improving Wordiness
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Improving Wordiness » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:45 pm

Peace zone sounds similar to a creche idea I had a while ago. I had thought that rather than nations spawning into a feeder where they risk ejection that there should be a creche spawn zone.
Nations are born there but a community cannot be formed as there is no one person or government in control. No WFE powers, no delegate, no influence.
Klaus Devestatorie wrote:I'm a massive tool. ;)

Frattastan
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frattastan » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:33 pm

Bears Armed wrote:I agree that such a region having no delegate at all would be better than it having a powerless one.

No delegate is powerless when it comes to voting on resolutions. ;)
Last edited by Frattastan on Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
San Francisco Bay Area (forum) | Founderless Regions Alliance (FRA) | Rejected Realms Army (RRA)

Drop Your Pants wrote:I think raiders are cute, the way they think they're big and scary people who threaten others :)

Crushing Our Enemies
Ambassador

Corporate Police State

Postby Crushing Our Enemies » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:58 pm

I don't like the idea of a feeder peacezone. I'd rather see it develop into a group of nations with a commitment to peace, rather than a place where nations who don't necessarily care about it start out, and no one can make them leave. I think every nation who enters a peace zone should do so by choice.

Frattastan
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frattastan » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:11 pm

Agreed.

Plus, I wouldn't like to alter the current status of the Pacifics.

Mahaj
Senator

Founded: Dec 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:15 pm

Although adding a new one would be interesting.

Not gonna happen, though. :p
Aal Izz Well: UDL
<Koth> I'm still going by the assumption that Mahaj is Unibot's kid brother or something
Kandarin(Naivetry): You're going to have a great NS career ahead of you if you want it, Mahaj. :)
<@Eluvatar> Why is SkyDip such a purist raiderist
<+frattastan> Because his region was never raided.
<+maxbarry> EarthAway: I guess I might dabble in raiding just to experience it better, but I would not like to raid regions of natives, so I'd probably be more interested in defense and liberations

Camian WA Mission
Secretary

Founded: Feb 05, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Camian WA Mission » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:33 pm

I think a peacezone would be interesting, it would serve as another GCR, which as all of us know, GCRs have a lot of interesting culture. However, I am against the delegate not having power of WFE, tags, etc. The WFE is more of a communication asset, rather than a security asset, which is why it isn't very crucial to potential raiders, but it is crucial to delegates who wish to impose a legitimate culture. However, the "no-ban" rule would be interesting, and thus, the only actual component to what would make a peacezone different from a feeder.
Arthur Thompson
Camian WA Mission
To contact Mr. Thompson, telegram that above nation.
Puppet of Camwood

Crushing Our Enemies
Ambassador

Corporate Police State

Postby Crushing Our Enemies » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:02 pm

Camian WA Mission wrote:I am against the delegate not having power of WFE, tags, etc. The WFE is more of a communication asset, rather than a security asset, which is why it isn't very crucial to potential raiders, but it is crucial to delegates who wish to impose a legitimate culture.

You've missed the point. This would be a region where NO ONE could "impose" their culture on the rest of the inhabitants. The lack of a delegate is a crucial component of the whole idea. This would be a region devoid of competition and hard power. If someone were able to control the tags and WFE, that could prompt internal factions or outside groups to take the delegacy, in an attempt to impose their culture on the region. Soon, another group or faction would challenge them for that right and BAM - no more peace.

Weed
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 23, 2011
Capitalizt

Postby Weed » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:18 pm

How is this different than a forum not connected to a region? I just don't get it. There's no reason not to try it I suppose.
I prefer not to be called that
Ex-Defender
Former WASC Author
----V----
Weed
LIVE FREE

Crushing Our Enemies
Ambassador

Corporate Police State

Postby Crushing Our Enemies » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:26 pm

A forum has an administrator and usually, a defined set of values or some reason for existence. This would be a community defined by whoever showed up. There would be no mechanism for enforcing an specific policy, or establishing any regime. Much like NationStates itself, it would be whatever the players made it.

Galiantus
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Galiantus » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:25 am

Crushing Our Enemies wrote:I think the name "Peacezone" sounds a little off. "Warzone" makes sense cause that's an actual real life thing. This region should have a name like "No Man's Land" or "Neutral Ground" (although that second one should probably be avoided, to prevent people from thinking it's gameplay-only).

*I like this

Weed wrote:How is this different than a forum not connected to a region? I just don't get it. There's no reason not to try it I suppose.

The only reason I would honestly support this idea would be if the region was not really a region at all: just a void that replaced the feeders' function and had a completely powerless WA delegete. Would there be a WFE or RMB? I don't know. The existance of either implies, as COE said, a form of tangible power, and would still allow for invasions and political organizations to compete for power; which is the very thing this idea is trying to get rid of.
Last objected by The World Assembly on Wednesday, August 1, 2012, objected 400 times in total.
Benjamin Franklin wrote:"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch."
Ballotonia wrote:Testing is for sissies. The actual test is to see how many people complain when any change is made ;)

On NationStates, We are the Good Guys:Aretist NatSovs

Crushing Our Enemies
Ambassador

Corporate Police State

Postby Crushing Our Enemies » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Galiantus wrote:Would there be a WFE or RMB? I don't know. The existance of either implies, as COE said, a form of tangible power, and would still allow for invasions and political organizations to compete for power; which is the very thing this idea is trying to get rid of.

Well, since there would be no WA delegate, any WFE would be permanent and set by the administrators when the region was created. As for an RMB, I don't see any reason why there wouldn't be one. There's no competitive edge to be gained by the existence of a RMB.

Ballotonia
Senior Admin

Founded: Antiquity
Democratic Socialists

Postby Ballotonia » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:37 pm

Galiantus wrote:I would also like to suggest the possibility of allowing players to create the equivilent of "Peace Zones" on their own, by simply adding an option to completely remove the WA delegate seat from the region.

This I like. It would create two new region types: with a Founder, and without (or non-exec) Founder.

And for clarity: making new feeder regions is out. There's no need for them. Similarly, any plan which would affect existing feeders would require WAY more discussion (and is far less likely to happen) than discussing a plan which doesn't and limits side-effects.

Ballotonia
"Een volk dat voor tirannen zwicht zal meer dan lijf en goed verliezen, dan dooft het licht…" -- H.M. van Randwijk

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mousebumples » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:30 am

Crushing Our Enemies wrote:
Galiantus wrote:Would there be a WFE or RMB? I don't know. The existance of either implies, as COE said, a form of tangible power, and would still allow for invasions and political organizations to compete for power; which is the very thing this idea is trying to get rid of.

Well, since there would be no WA delegate, any WFE would be permanent and set by the administrators when the region was created. As for an RMB, I don't see any reason why there wouldn't be one. There's no competitive edge to be gained by the existence of a RMB.

I guess my WA Delegate related question is this: Should there (still) be a powerless WA Delegate (i.e. unable to ban/kick/etc.) merely for the purposes of voting on WA Resolutions? Of course, I ask this as a resolution author, so I suppose it's quite possible that there are plenty of nations who wouldn't care if their nation/region didn't have a "representative" voting for them in the WA.

I'd think that having an RMB would make sense - just so that there's that way to build a community within the Peacezone. Understandably, a WFE could make it a target for raids - if only to advertise one's "holding" of the area.

Interesting idea. Not one that I'd take part with, with my main - I've only been in my present region for 9+ years :P - but it seems like a new avenue to explore as an option.
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

Crushing Our Enemies
Ambassador

Corporate Police State

Postby Crushing Our Enemies » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:48 am

I think it makes the most sense not to have a delegate at all, to avoid the competitive contest it injects.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical