NATION

PASSWORD

Analyze What?

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Copenhagen Metropolis
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 29, 2009
Ex-Nation

Analyze What?

Postby Copenhagen Metropolis » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:34 am

Not sure if there's already a thread about the new 'Analysis' feature or not - ideally we should have a sub-forum called "News", as a quick way to find all the news-related threads/discussions (we don't have that, do we? :blush: ) - Anyway, I'm not quite sure I "get it", the new feature that is.

I mean; I choose a category up in the right corner, I add some nations down in the left corner, and what do I get? Some flags and -- that's it!? Where's the numbers? I was promised numbers! I guess I'm doing it wrong, so, could I get a helping hand?

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:37 am

There should be graphs.

What browser/operating system are you using?

Seibertron
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Seibertron » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:42 am

At the end of your nation's description there should be something like Mugabe Relativity Rating
Join the Super Robot Mecha Multiverse today!
メリー クリスマス

Xanixi
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Xanixi » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:50 am

Edit:
Oh, well, it might just be the browser you're using. I remember not being able to access Youtube on Firefox once. or twice. The point is, just try it on another browser. If it still doesn't work, then make another account and check that. If the graphs pop up, just add your current nation to the charts, and just read them off of there.

If none of these work, try sending a support ticket in (we can do that, right?).
Last edited by Xanixi on Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grand Imperial Republic of Thedosia | Galactic Imperial Republic [FT]
DEFCON: [4]; Double Take
| Pop.: 508,191,116 | Area: 24.670.330 km2 | Demonym: Thedosian/Republic/Imperial |
| Military: 5,482,193 | GDP: US$32,842,135,458,524.96 | Lifespan: ~650 y/o |
Dr. Carl Sagan wrote:“They say astronomy is a humbling and character-building experience. There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.”
Most Astounding Fact
#AupaAtleti #ContigoHastaElFinal
American and Spanish

Northrop-Grumman
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 28, 2003
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Northrop-Grumman » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:52 am

Looks like the graph is not rendering properly, which happens to be an SVG. I'm betting that the problem lies in using IE8 or prior, which doesn't support SVG too well. The question I have is: do the pie charts on the main nation page work for you?
Last edited by Northrop-Grumman on Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sedgistan
Site Director

Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:53 am

Before posting advice, actually look over all of Copenhagen Metropolis' post. If you'd looked at the screenshot, you'd see he got to the page that is supposed to show the graphs - and that they're not loading.

Northrop-Grumman
Ambassador

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Northrop-Grumman » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:04 am

Sedgistan wrote:Before posting advice, actually look over all of Copenhagen Metropolis' post. If you'd looked at the screenshot, you'd see he got to the page that is supposed to show the graphs - and that they're not loading.
Well, it's not really advice that I'm giving. I just know that the graphs are in the Scalable Vector Graphics format, so if they're not loading then it's possible he's using IE8 or before, since those are the only ones that don't play nice with that format. The pie/line charts also use SVG, which is why I'm asking if those work for him too. If they don't work, then it's most likely the browser not supporting it. If they do work, then there's an issue with the comparison graph.
Last edited by Northrop-Grumman on Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sedgistan
Site Director

Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:15 am

Wasn't directed at you, Northrop-Grumman - I hadn't seen your post when I was replying ;)

Xanixi
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Xanixi » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:16 am

Northrop-Grumman wrote:
Sedgistan wrote:Before posting advice, actually look over all of Copenhagen Metropolis' post. If you'd looked at the screenshot, you'd see he got to the page that is supposed to show the graphs - and that they're not loading.
Well, it's not really advice that I'm giving. I just know that the graphs are in the Scalable Vector Graphics format, so if they're not loading then it's possible he's using IE8 or before, since those are the only ones that don't play nice with that format. The pie/line charts also use SVG, which is why I'm asking of those work for him too. If they don't work, then it's most likely the browser not supporting it. If they do work, then there's an issue with the comparison graph.

He was referring to my post, which I promptly edited to fit better to the actual topic of the thread...
Grand Imperial Republic of Thedosia | Galactic Imperial Republic [FT]
DEFCON: [4]; Double Take
| Pop.: 508,191,116 | Area: 24.670.330 km2 | Demonym: Thedosian/Republic/Imperial |
| Military: 5,482,193 | GDP: US$32,842,135,458,524.96 | Lifespan: ~650 y/o |
Dr. Carl Sagan wrote:“They say astronomy is a humbling and character-building experience. There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.”
Most Astounding Fact
#AupaAtleti #ContigoHastaElFinal
American and Spanish

Northrop-Grumman
Ambassador

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Northrop-Grumman » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:22 am

Oh, uh, sorry then! :oops:

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:03 am

I actually noticed this problem as well, and I'm using IE8. I'm at school right now, or else I'd be using Firefox. If this problem hasn't been figured out and solved by the time I get home, I'll check it out on there.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:23 am

I guess I should also mention that I'm using the Dark Theme.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.

Copenhagen Metropolis
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Copenhagen Metropolis » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:59 pm

Sedgistan wrote:What browser/operating system are you using?

I'm using Internet Explorer 8.

Northrop-Grumman wrote:The question I have is: do the pie charts on the main nation page work for you?

Yeah, the pie charts work just fine.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:33 pm

Grenartia wrote:I actually noticed this problem as well, and I'm using IE8. I'm at school right now, or else I'd be using Firefox. If this problem hasn't been figured out and solved by the time I get home, I'll check it out on there.

UPDATE:
Well, it does work for Firefox. But not for IE (I have the latest version). Still using the Dark Theme.

Northrop-Grumman
Ambassador

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Northrop-Grumman » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:39 pm

Grenartia wrote:
Grenartia wrote:I actually noticed this problem as well, and I'm using IE8. I'm at school right now, or else I'd be using Firefox. If this problem hasn't been figured out and solved by the time I get home, I'll check it out on there.

UPDATE:
Well, it does work for Firefox. But not for IE (I have the latest version). Still using the Dark Theme.
Hrm, weird. I'm using the latest version of IE (IE9) and the dark theme and it works fine. Interestingly enough, when I switch on Compatibility Mode, the pie charts work fine, but the comparison graphs aren't there (which is what apparently happens in IE8).

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:10 pm

Northrop-Grumman wrote:
Grenartia wrote:

UPDATE:
Hrm, weird. I'm using the latest version of IE (IE9) and the dark theme and it works fine. Interestingly enough, when I switch on Compatibility Mode, the pie charts work fine, but the comparison graphs aren't there (which is what apparently happens in IE8).

After switching to compatibility mode, it does work.

Copenhagen Metropolis
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Copenhagen Metropolis » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:12 am

Oh, btw, as a little side note; I just noticed this

Seems that when you're at your own nation's main page, the Analysis tab is right where it should be, but when you're at another nation's main page, the Analysis tab is replaced by a another Trend tab. Or actually; when you press "the second Trend tab", it leads you to the analysis page, so I guess it's still technically an Analysis tab, it just says "Trend".

(didn't want to make a new thread just for this - figured you'd see this comment sooner or later anyway)

Actaris
Bureaucrat

Founded: Dec 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Actaris » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:44 am

I'm having the same problems. I can see the other graphs and I could actually see analysis the first few tries yesterday but now it is doing the same thing.
Child of God.
Political compass:
Left/Right: -6.08
Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.08

[violet]
Executive Director

Founded: Antiquity

Postby [violet] » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:18 pm

Goddamn you, Microsoft.

The problem is that IE comes with a "Compatibility Mode" "feature", which will break modern web sites if turned on. It can get automatically turned on under a range of circumstances, plus if you ever click the little broken page icon beside the URL at any point in time ever. Thereafter, sites like NS won't work completely, and won't look quite right, and you will never know why.

Microsoft's solution is that web designers should put special code into every single one of their web pages to say, "Hey, IE, don't render this page in Compatibility Mode." Which I have resisted doing, because WHY OH WHY should every user and every page be burdened by MS's braindead policy when NO OTHER BROWSER requires--

Anyway. I have given in and done that.

IE users, if you have any love in your hearts for people like me, please switch to a different browser so I can stop dealing with issues like this.

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:24 pm

Copenhagen Metropolis wrote:Seems that when you're at your own nation's main page, the Analysis tab is right where it should be, but when you're at another nation's main page, the Analysis tab is replaced by a another Trend tab. Or actually; when you press "the second Trend tab", it leads you to the analysis page, so I guess it's still technically an Analysis tab, it just says "Trend".

Ahh, an Antiquity problem. Now fixed.

Crazy girl
Game Moderator

Mother Knows Best State

Postby Crazy girl » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:39 pm

But I like IE...it has all my cookies :(

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:45 pm

Crazy girl wrote:But I like IE...it has all my cookies :(

But the only reason IE is even usable as a browser is because web people like me spend hours crying at our desks while we despoil our beautiful sites with IE-specific hacks and compromises. You don't want me to cry at my desk, do you? Do you?

Crazy girl
Game Moderator

Mother Knows Best State

Postby Crazy girl » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:51 pm

Depends...do you have cookies?

Oh, and Sedge now wants a picture of you crying at your desk.

*hugs* I do wubs ya even though you're scary. :P

Shanix
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 07, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Shanix » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:13 pm

[violet] wrote:Goddamn you, Microsoft.

The problem is that IE comes with a "Compatibility Mode" "feature", which will break modern web sites if turned on. It can get automatically turned on under a range of circumstances, plus if you ever click the little broken page icon beside the URL at any point in time ever. Thereafter, sites like NS won't work completely, and won't look quite right, and you will never know why.

Microsoft's solution is that web designers should put special code into every single one of their web pages to say, "Hey, IE, don't render this page in Compatibility Mode." Which I have resisted doing, because WHY OH WHY should every user and every page be burdened by MS's braindead policy when NO OTHER BROWSER requires--

Anyway. I have given in and done that.

IE users, if you have any love in your hearts for people like me, please switch to a different browser so I can stop dealing with issues like this.

Welp, chalk up one more personal AI that lost it's mind to Internet Explorer.
Just know when it's real and when it isn't.

Copenhagen Metropolis
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Copenhagen Metropolis » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:37 pm

[violet] wrote:(...) please switch to a different browser so I can stop dealing with issues like this.

Sowie :(

:p

[violet] wrote:Ahh, an Antiquity problem. Now fixed.

Haha, yeah. You got the whole community to find bugs in all the new themes, but you can always count on me to safeguard Antiquity. We'll be in touch. ;)

... Oh, and thanks for fixing the problem, of course!

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical