NATION

PASSWORD

NationStates Century Dark Theme

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Northrop-Grumman
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 28, 2003
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Northrop-Grumman » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:05 am

Greater Neo Germany wrote:Is it me or is the display of your rank in the daily census of your region and the world that appears below the national happenings new?

Example:

@@NATION@@ is ranked 2nd in @@REGION@@ and 8,042nd in the world for Most Beautiful Environments, with 311 Pounds of Wildlife less Pounds of Concrete per square mile.
"@@NATION@@ is ranked 2nd in @@REGION@@ and 8,042nd in the world for Most Beautiful Environments" has been there since the beginning of the game, and ", with 311 Pounds of Wildlife less Pounds of Concrete per square mile." has been there ever since we got the whole nation analysis feature, IIRC. You'll never see anything like that added to the dark theme because it's just not possible with CSS. I can play around with pictures, change colors of things, and delete stuff, but I can't add in anything new that involves customized text like that.

Greater Neo Germany
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Neo Germany » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:05 am

Northrop-Grumman wrote:
Greater Neo Germany wrote:Is it me or is the display of your rank in the daily census of your region and the world that appears below the national happenings new?

Example:

@@NATION@@ is ranked 2nd in @@REGION@@ and 8,042nd in the world for Most Beautiful Environments, with 311 Pounds of Wildlife less Pounds of Concrete per square mile.
"@@NATION@@ is ranked 2nd in @@REGION@@ and 8,042nd in the world for Most Beautiful Environments" has been there since the beginning of the game, and ", with 311 Pounds of Wildlife less Pounds of Concrete per square mile." has been there ever since we got the whole nation analysis feature, IIRC. You'll never see anything like that added to the dark theme because it's just not possible with CSS. I can play around with pictures, change colors of things, and delete stuff, but I can't add in anything new that involves customized text like that.

Oh haha, ok. Did you ever come up with a solution to the newspaper heading on the issues page?

The Most Glorious Hack
Retired Moderator

Founded: Mar 11, 2003
Anarchy

Postby The Most Glorious Hack » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:36 am

Northrop-Grumman wrote:"@@NATION@@ is ranked 2nd in @@REGION@@ and 8,042nd in the world for Most Beautiful Environments" has been there since the beginning of the game

December of '03, actually. Changelog happy funtiemz
Now the stars they are all angled wrong,
And the sun and the moon refuse to burn.
But I remember a message,
In a demon's hand:
"Dread the passage of Jesus, for he does not return."

-Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, "Time Jesum Transeuntum Et Non Riverentum"

Kalaspia-Shimarata
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Kalaspia-Shimarata » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:47 am

It's been stuffing up alot lately in the forum. Sometimes, the text which is supposed to be white is actually dark grey and very hard to see, whilst at other times it is black and can't be seen at all. It's been stuffing up too much lately, and now unfortunatly, I can't use it :(
Kalaspia-Shimarata's flag represents the Union between K&S. The dark blue represents the sea and the light blue represents the sky. In Kalashi language considers light blue and dark blue to be different colours. England colonised, and unified K&S, between 1774 and 1953, and English, light blue and dark blue are considered to be the same colour. Therefore, the contrast between dark blue and light blue represents the union, but the differences between K&S where as blue being two but simultaneously one colour represents K&S being two, but simultaniously one entity. The opposite to the symmetry represents the unity and indipendance of K&S, whilst also representing the Kalashi culture of opposite symmetry.KS is 75% Christian, hence the cross.

Northrop-Grumman
Ambassador

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Northrop-Grumman » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:00 pm

Greater Neo Germany wrote:Oh haha, ok. Did you ever come up with a solution to the newspaper heading on the issues page?
Yes, I did, but it's taking some time to get sorted out.

Kalaspia-Shimarata wrote:It's been stuffing up alot lately in the forum. Sometimes, the text which is supposed to be white is actually dark grey and very hard to see, whilst at other times it is black and can't be seen at all. It's been stuffing up too much lately, and now unfortunatly, I can't use it :(
What browser and OS are you using? If you're using IE8, then hitting the Compatibility View button will work as a temporary fix, but unfortunately it breaks a bunch of other stuff like what [violet] said here: viewtopic.php?p=10572759#p10572759

EDIT: By the way, I've made some headway in fixing the IE8 bug. Hilariously (not), it's a problem that's only specific to IE8, not 7 or 9.

EDIT2: I just submitted the updated stylesheets to Max, so those who are using IE8 shouldn't have to worry about using Compatibility View anymore when these revisions are applied within the next day or so.
Last edited by Northrop-Grumman on Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Northrop-Grumman
Ambassador

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Northrop-Grumman » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:18 pm

And the theme was updated not too long ago.

Changelog
- Evened glowing effect of flag on nation page
- Darkened background of dispatch endorsement box and moved it towards the top of the table
- Removed background and borders for endorsement tallies on factbook index
- Reduced the rounded corners on BBcode post buttons
- Split post color CSS statement to ensure compatibility with IE8

For those who are interested in the revisions to the Issues page, that's going to appear in the next update, because it's still being worked on and the problem with IE8 needed to be resolved rather quickly since it severely impaired people's ability to even use the forums.
Last edited by Northrop-Grumman on Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Kalaspia-Shimarata
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Kalaspia-Shimarata » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:58 am

Northrop-Grumman wrote:
Greater Neo Germany wrote:Oh haha, ok. Did you ever come up with a solution to the newspaper heading on the issues page?
Yes, I did, but it's taking some time to get sorted out.

Kalaspia-Shimarata wrote:It's been stuffing up alot lately in the forum. Sometimes, the text which is supposed to be white is actually dark grey and very hard to see, whilst at other times it is black and can't be seen at all. It's been stuffing up too much lately, and now unfortunatly, I can't use it :(
What browser and OS are you using? If you're using IE8, then hitting the Compatibility View button will work as a temporary fix, but unfortunately it breaks a bunch of other stuff like what [violet] said here: viewtopic.php?p=10572759#p10572759

EDIT: By the way, I've made some headway in fixing the IE8 bug. Hilariously (not), it's a problem that's only specific to IE8, not 7 or 9.

EDIT2: I just submitted the updated stylesheets to Max, so those who are using IE8 shouldn't have to worry about using Compatibility View anymore when these revisions are applied within the next day or so.

Wow! That does work! Thanks!
Last edited by Kalaspia-Shimarata on Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kalaspia-Shimarata's flag represents the Union between K&S. The dark blue represents the sea and the light blue represents the sky. In Kalashi language considers light blue and dark blue to be different colours. England colonised, and unified K&S, between 1774 and 1953, and English, light blue and dark blue are considered to be the same colour. Therefore, the contrast between dark blue and light blue represents the union, but the differences between K&S where as blue being two but simultaneously one colour represents K&S being two, but simultaniously one entity. The opposite to the symmetry represents the unity and indipendance of K&S, whilst also representing the Kalashi culture of opposite symmetry.KS is 75% Christian, hence the cross.

The Republic of Lanos
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Lanos » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:56 pm

I still have a gripe with the boxes being like this.

Northrop-Grumman
Ambassador

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Northrop-Grumman » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:41 pm

The Republic of Lanos wrote:I still have a gripe with the boxes being like this.
Right now, the maximum amount of quote nesting you can do is two deep and the forum will absolutely prevent you from doing that whenever you try to; that's why I never bothered going any further than that.

Although, there seems to be a number of older threads, some spam, some not, that have nested quotes that go deeper than that, and you're right, that should be fixed. The biggest hitch is that recently I've tweaked the colors so that the deeper you go, the brighter it gets, just so that the different people being quoted are distinguished from one another. If I continue that then there will be a tremendous bloating of the CSS file, because the result will look something like
Code: Select all
blockquote blockquote blockquote {
   background-color: #XXXXXX;
   border-color: #XXXXXX;
}

blockquote blockquote blockquote blockquote{
}

blockquote blockquote blockquote blockquote blockquote{
}

blockquote blockquote blockquote blockquote blockquote blockquote{
}

blockquote blockquote blockquote blockquote blockquote blockquote blockquote{
}

blockquote blockquote blockquote blockquote blockquote blockquote blockquote blockquote{
}
, which is too much of a waste of space for too few people looking through the archives. What I can do is either alternate the colors as you go up the quote pyramid, or have the third nested quote be a brighter color (to accommodate any future changes in the rules) and have everything after that be a single color.
Last edited by Northrop-Grumman on Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kylarnatia
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 07, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Kylarnatia » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:00 am

I don't know if you fellow member's have noticed, but it seems one or two members are beginning to have a tendency to use the 'color=#333' BBCode, which doesn't stand out well against the 'Dark' Theme. Like this, for example, and I have great trouble reading this text when it is up against the 'Dark' Theme.

Now, I know this problem could easily be solved by reverting back to the old theme where it would of course stand out, or by quoting the text and therefore giving a person the ability to read it, but that is all very tedious and some people can even find it very irritating, which could lead to an argument between members, which we of course don't want. So, I've taken to suggesting (emphasis on suggesting) to members that do this to not do it, so people who use both the 'Light' and 'Dark' Themes can read their writing.

I bring this here because I want to know what you guys think. Is this perhaps something to do with the browser, the computer screen, or the theme itself?

Regards,

- Kylarnatia [Kyle]
The Ancient Empire of Kylarnatia // Imperium Antiquum Kylarnatiae
Lord of Gholgoth | Factbook (Work in Progress) | Embassy & Consulate Programme
I write mostly in PMT-FaNT, and I enjoy worldbuilding and storytelling. Any questions? Ask away!
NationState's friendly neighbourhood Egyptologist
Come one, come all to my Trading Card Bazaar!
"Kylarnatia is a rare Nile platypus." - Kyrusia

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:52 pm

Kylarnatia wrote:I don't know if you fellow member's have noticed, but it seems one or two members are beginning to have a tendency to use the 'color=#333' BBCode, which doesn't stand out well against the 'Dark' Theme. Like this, for example, and I have great trouble reading this text when it is up against the 'Dark' Theme.

Now, I know this problem could easily be solved by reverting back to the old theme where it would of course stand out, or by quoting the text and therefore giving a person the ability to read it, but that is all very tedious and some people can even find it very irritating, which could lead to an argument between members, which we of course don't want. So, I've taken to suggesting (emphasis on suggesting) to members that do this to not do it, so people who use both the 'Light' and 'Dark' Themes can read their writing.

I bring this here because I want to know what you guys think. Is this perhaps something to do with the browser, the computer screen, or the theme itself?

Regards,

- Kylarnatia [Kyle]

You're unlikely to make progress here.
I remember when I used to do that I did so solely because I thought the dark theme was ugly and wanted to irritate those who were using it.
The Sublime Island Kingdom of Astrolinium
Ilia Franchisco Attore, King Attorio Maldive III
North Carolina | NSIndex Page | Embassies
Pop: 3,082 | Tech: MT | DEFCON: 5-4-3-2-1
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...
About Me: Ravenclaw, Gay, Cis Male, 5’4”.
"Don't you forget about me."

Ex-Delegate of Ankh Mauta | NSG Sodomy Club
Minor Acolyte of the Vast Jewlluminati Conspiracy™

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:12 pm

Astrolinium wrote:You're unlikely to make progress here.
I remember when I used to do that I did so solely because I thought the dark theme was ugly and wanted to irritate those who were using it.

That's pretty much equivalent to using garish posts to annoy other users. If you do it again, expect to be warned.

Northrop-Grumman
Ambassador

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Northrop-Grumman » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:13 am

Kylarnatia wrote:I don't know if you fellow member's have noticed, but it seems one or two members are beginning to have a tendency to use the 'color=#333' BBCode, which doesn't stand out well against the 'Dark' Theme. Like this, for example, and I have great trouble reading this text when it is up against the 'Dark' Theme.

Regards,

- Kylarnatia [Kyle]
I've taken a look at one RP thread that has used it ( Link ), have compared it to how it appears in the default theme both with and without the color changes ( Link ), and quite frankly, find there is little purpose/value to it. Someone could make the argument that perhaps it's easier on a person's eyes, but that gets shot down because it's only specific to that person's posts. They could just as easily write up a one-line stylesheet that changes the color of everyone's posts but would only affect their own browser. I just don't see why anyone would continually write extra code on all their posts just to change the color ever so slightly.

In regards to the dark theme, to be blunt, I'm not going to write in extra code just to mitigate this sort of thing or the stylesheet file sizes are going to bloat. Nothing will stop these people from using #474747 or other closely related grey colors, which are as equally annoying. At the moment, what I try to do in regards to forum colors is to maintain some degree of functionality in comparison to the lighter themes, like, take the case of someone in the default theme deliberately coloring their text to blend in with the forum background. That's something that's common to almost all forums I've seen so I try to replicate that with the dark theme. Also, someone might accidentally use "black" or "#00000" to return their signature or post text to the default, which is an understandable mistake, really common, and doesn't show up in the default themes, so I'll work around that too.

Ultimately though, I feel like this thing is something that should be policed by the members of the community. Even a simple "Hey, knock that off, please. People can't read that." should suffice, I'd imagine.

Kylarnatia
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 07, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Kylarnatia » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:27 am

Northrop-Grumman wrote:

Regards,

- Kylarnatia [Kyle]
I've taken a look at one RP thread that has used it ( Link ), have compared it to how it appears in the default theme both with and without the color changes ( Link ), and quite frankly, find there is little purpose/value to it. Someone could make the argument that perhaps it's easier on a person's eyes, but that gets shot down because it's only specific to that person's posts. They could just as easily write up a one-line stylesheet that changes the color of everyone's posts but would only affect their own browser. I just don't see why anyone would continually write extra code on all their posts just to change the color ever so slightly.

In regards to the dark theme, to be blunt, I'm not going to write in extra code just to mitigate this sort of thing or the stylesheet file sizes are going to bloat. Nothing will stop these people from using #474747 or other closely related grey colors, which are as equally annoying. At the moment, what I try to do in regards to forum colors is to maintain some degree of functionality in comparison to the lighter themes, like, take the case of someone in the default theme deliberately coloring their text to blend in with the forum background. That's something that's common to almost all forums I've seen so I try to replicate that with the dark theme. Also, someone might accidentally use "black" or "#00000" to return their signature or post text to the default, which is an understandable mistake, really common, and doesn't show up in the default themes, so I'll work around that too.

Ultimately though, I feel like this thing is something that should be policed by the members of the community. Even a simple "Hey, knock that off, please. People can't read that." should suffice, I'd imagine.

Yeah, I see where you're coming from. People seem to reply positively to the suggestion anyway, so :P

Just thought I'd post it here and see what you thought on the situation.
The Ancient Empire of Kylarnatia // Imperium Antiquum Kylarnatiae
Lord of Gholgoth | Factbook (Work in Progress) | Embassy & Consulate Programme
I write mostly in PMT-FaNT, and I enjoy worldbuilding and storytelling. Any questions? Ask away!
NationState's friendly neighbourhood Egyptologist
Come one, come all to my Trading Card Bazaar!
"Kylarnatia is a rare Nile platypus." - Kyrusia

Zemnaya Svoboda
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 06, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Zemnaya Svoboda » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:21 pm

Could you please expand this line:

img[src="/images/bymax.png"]{ -webkit-filter: grayscale(100%) invert(90%); }

to

img[src="/images/bymax.png"],img[src="/images/rmb.png"],img[src="/images/externallink.gif"],img[src="/images/forumlink.png"] { -webkit-filter: grayscale(100%) invert(90%); }

Northrop-Grumman
Ambassador

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Northrop-Grumman » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:47 pm

Zemnaya Svoboda wrote:Could you please expand this line:

img[src="/images/bymax.png"]{ -webkit-filter: grayscale(100%) invert(90%); }

to

img[src="/images/bymax.png"],img[src="/images/rmb.png"],img[src="/images/externallink.gif"],img[src="/images/forumlink.png"] { -webkit-filter: grayscale(100%) invert(90%); }
That's certainly possible to do; I'll have to take a look at it, tweak the CSS, and post the results here. (Reminder: the color inversion/grayscale only works for Google Chrome)

And the theme was updated not too long ago.

Changelog
- Introduced darker newspaper background on individual issues pages
- Darkened colors for forum quotes that are nested more than 2 quotes deep
- Fixed problem where forcing user selected color of black to the default text color was not working

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:41 pm

I'd like to take a moment to point out that this part of the theme is one I actually find almost terrifying:
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

The Republic of Lanos
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Lanos » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:42 pm

Astrolinium wrote:I'd like to take a moment to point out that this part of the theme is one I actually find almost terrifying:
(Image)

I actually don't get that. I only get the white background one.

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:42 pm

The Republic of Lanos wrote:
Astrolinium wrote:I'd like to take a moment to point out that this part of the theme is one I actually find almost terrifying:
(Image)

I actually don't get that. I only get the white background one.

I just noticed it; I think it must be recent, but I severely dislike it.
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

The Republic of Lanos
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Lanos » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:44 pm

Astrolinium wrote:
The Republic of Lanos wrote:I actually don't get that. I only get the white background one.

I actually like it. Though it only pops up on my iPhone, not my comp.

Nullarni
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 26, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Nullarni » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:41 am

I think the negative version looks awesome, really. I also like the negative header on the issues page. The dark theme really looks great.
Proud founder of the NEW WARSAW PACT. Visitors welcome.

The Republic of Lanos
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Lanos » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:45 pm

Speaking of which, I don't get the negative Jennifer Government: NationStates thing now. Just the Machine Man ad or the original white NS logo.

Northrop-Grumman
Ambassador

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Northrop-Grumman » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:42 pm

Astrolinium wrote:
The Republic of Lanos wrote:I actually don't get that. I only get the white background one.
Double-checking back on the changelog, that change was made at the beginning of August, but you might not have noticed it right off because that ad switches with the Machine Man one which is outside of my control. I know that there have been several days before I see the other ad.
Nullarni wrote:I think the negative version looks awesome, really. I also like the negative header on the issues page. The dark theme really looks great.
Thanks!
The Republic of Lanos wrote:Speaking of which, I don't get the negative Jennifer Government: NationStates thing now. Just the Machine Man ad or the original white NS logo.
The negative version should only work for Chrome when using your desktop/laptop. As for your iPhone, I honestly don't know; I don't have a smartphone or anything like that so I can't check to see how it looks there.

Northrop-Grumman
Ambassador

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Northrop-Grumman » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:14 pm

Don't worry; I'm still here! I've just been away on personal related matters, but I've been keeping track of everything that's going on and am planning on getting some more of the previous suggestions implemented in the future since I'm back now.

I know [violet] sometimes pops in this thread, so if she's watching, I'm just wondering how long the NS Challenges page and such will be up. I've noticed that a few things there are a little broken (but not disastrously so), but I'm not sure if some of this stuff is disappearing soon, which would make the fixes kinda pointless to work into the theme.

[violet]
Executive Director

Founded: Antiquity

Postby [violet] » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:19 pm

Northrop-Grumman wrote:I know [violet] sometimes pops in this thread, so if she's watching, I'm just wondering how long the NS Challenges page and such will be up. I've noticed that a few things there are a little broken (but not disastrously so), but I'm not sure if some of this stuff is disappearing soon, which would make the fixes kinda pointless to work into the theme.

The Challenge may wind up hanging around in some form, but the code is very messy, with lots of inline CSS (it was done in a hurry). If we keep it, I'll shift all that to stylesheets, where it would be easier for you to modify.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical