NATION

PASSWORD

NationStates Issues **SPOILER ALERT**

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Kaboomlandia
Negotiator

Founded: May 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kaboomlandia » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:21 pm

Leartopia wrote:I got Diamonds Are an Expat's Best Friend, but it was before the News item announcing it and I dismissed it, so I guess I won't get the chance to experience the full line of issues. :(

Ouch.
In=character, Kaboomlandia is a World Assembly member and abides by its resolutions. If this nation isn't in the WA, it's for practical reasons.
Author of GA #371 and SC #208, #214, #226, #227, #230, #232
Co-Author of SC #204
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result."
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

"Your legitimacy, Kaboom, has melted away in my eyes. I couldn't have believed that only a shadow of your once brilliant WA career remains."

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:29 pm

Leartopia wrote:I got Diamonds Are an Expat's Best Friend, but it was before the News item announcing it and I dismissed it, so I guess I won't get the chance to experience the full line of issues. :(

We haven't hit an update yet, it should still be in your issues.

I just checked, it's still an open dilemma for you.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:49 am

And here's the start of that chain:

“An International Incident”

The Issue

Media outlets have been buzzing about the thousands of children abducted from their remote villages across the exotic nation of Brasilistan, suspected to have been carried out on the order of their own government. Reports are coming in that the abducted children have been sent underground to mine for diamonds, Brasilistan's most precious resource, but military intelligence suggests that some young Urrsish citizens living there have fallen to the same fate.

The Debate

1. "The Brasilistani government have been pursuing aggressive and provoking policies for years, especially in their attempts to annex their neighbour Marche Noir. Now they're abducting and holding hostage not only their own children, but citizens of other countries!" booms General Stefanie Washington, slamming her fist on the conference table and urgently gesturing to a map on the wall. "We have sat idly by and now it's our people over there waking up in the middle of the night to bombs and soldiers destroying their homes! Chairbear of the High Council, we must marshal our forces and intervene with the only language the Brasilistani seem to understand - violence!"

2. "The good general is surely exaggerating the threat here." Al Neumann, one of your trusted advisers responds calmly while drinking his tea. "Brasilistan is our foremost diamond trade partner, so we must approach the situation with diplomacy and targeted efforts. A knee-jerk military response is the worst thing we could possibly do here. I am confident that with some juicy incentives, the Brasilistani government will discover their error and immediately release our citizens."

Issue by: The Immortal Shogunate and Affiliated Territories of Reploid Productions
Editor: Sanctaria
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Golgothastan
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 26, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Golgothastan » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:18 am

Bears Armed wrote:And here's the start of that chain

I'm confused. Isn't the Diamonds issue the first in the chain? Why is the one you posted called "An International Incident"?

Regardless, thanks, added.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:25 am

Golgothastan wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:And here's the start of that chain

I'm confused. Isn't the Diamonds issue the first in the chain? Why is the one you posted called "An International Incident"?
Oops! I forgot to say: The full title that comes up in the list of issues received, although it doesn't appear on the page for the issue itself, is "[An International Incident] Diamonds Are An Expat's Best Friend!".
Last edited by Bears Armed on Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.

Golgothastan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Golgothastan » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:28 am

Bears Armed wrote:
Golgothastan wrote:I'm confused. Isn't the Diamonds issue the first in the chain? Why is the one you posted called "An International Incident"?
Oops! I forgot to say: The full title that comes up in the list of issues received, although it doesn't appear on the page for the issue itself, is "[An International Incident] Diamonds Are An Expat's Best Friend!".

Ah, I see.

Well, I would like to mark the issue chain off specially, much like Easter Eggs are marked, so I'll make use of that tag.

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 12, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sanctaria » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:40 am

All issues in The Chain will have [An International Incident] before the actual issue name. There'll also be a little image in the issue text marking it as part of the An International Incident issue series (that being the official name of The Chain).
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258

Dr. Bethany Greer CMD, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

Auralia wrote:Your condescending attitude is remarkably annoying.

Mediobogdum II
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 01, 2013
Iron Fist Consumerists

[An International Incident] Issue Chain

Postby Mediobogdum II » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:12 am

Sanctaria wrote:All issues in The Chain will have [An International Incident] before the actual issue name. There'll also be a little image in the issue text marking it as part of the An International Incident issue series (that being the official name of The Chain).

Thanks, Sanctaria, I was just going to ask how are we to know, or guess, which issues will form part of the chain? Now I know!

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:40 am

Choosing option '1' on #387 =>

#388 “[An International Incident] Napalm in the Morning"

Issue Series

The Story So Far

A troubled country called Brasilistan has abducted Urrsish tourists and sent them to work in diamond mines in appalling conditions. You gathered your advisers and decided the best course of action was war; immediate and violent.

The Issue

This is a grim day in the history of Bears Armed. Today, Bears Armed goes to war. All eyes are on officials in Council Groves, waiting with bated breath to learn what form the coming conflict with Brasilistan will take.

The Debate

1. "We must mount a full-scale invasion," declares General Jazz Thaler while jabbing at a map of Brasilistan. "We can land forces here, here, and here; and from there we can march straight on to their capital! It could cost millions of our soldiers' lives and take years, but short of nuking Brasilistan, this is the only road to victory."

2."With all due respect, General, you are completely out of your mind!" Johann Dredd of the Air Force huffs. "A full on attack will decimate our troop levels! This is a land whose terrain and climate our foot soldiers are unaccustomed to. No, the best approach is clearly the tactical one. We have gathered a list of targets that can be taken out through a sustained aerial campaign. This will reduce Brasilistan's ability to wage war long before we land a single troop carrier in their territory. Why send scores of our soldiers to their deaths when we can send scores of our bombs instead?"

Issue by: The Immortal Shogunate and Affiliated Territories of Reploid Productions

Glasbyd
Attaché

Founded: Jul 01, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Glasbyd » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:10 pm

I chose #2 on 387:

#389 [An International Incident] Sanctions, Sanctions Everywhere!

ISSUE SERIES
The Story So Far
A distant country called Brasilistan has abducted Glasbydian citizens and sent them to work in diamond mines in appalling conditions. You gathered your advisers and decided the best course of action was to wade in carefully with some carrot-and-stick diplomacy.
The Issue
The decision to try for a diplomatic solution with Brasilistan, rather than open warfare, has been a success with the hostages released. However, aggrieved leading members of the Brasilstani government are openly encouraging vigilantes in the nation's armed forces to hit back at Glasbyd and its interests. The debate now turns to what Glasbyd should do next to completely neutralise Brasilistan.
The Debate
1. "Extending the hand of peace was all well and good, but now we have to make sure they stay under our thumb", your Minister for Foreign Affairs Hillary Smoochinger says candidly, taking a seat in your office. "Right now they can fall back on their military and continue to do unspeakable and violent acts - don't forget they abducted their own children! But if we make that option unviable, then I think we'll find them more than eager to sit down to peace talks. To cripple their military, we need to cripple their economy, and the most effective way to do this is through sanctions. We can embargo the non-essential items, and stick considerable tariffs on the stuff we do need. Eventually they'll have to accede to our demands."
Accept
2. "Crippling their military is a good idea, but we don't have the time for economics to work", the Chief of Staff of the Armed Forces, General Dwight Powell barks. "We need to get our Navy to blockade their ports, get our Air Force to bomb their airfields and key economic centres – we don't have to put a single soldier on Brasilistan soil and we'll still be able to force them into submission. With blockaded ports, burning airfields, and a decimated economy, their military will have no hope of controlling the home front, let alone invading another country. They'll be soon doing what we tell them. A little gunboat diplomacy is all we need."
Accept
3. "These options all sound quite expensive", chimes in Timothy Lagarde, the Treasury Minister. "Wouldn't it be cheaper to, perhaps, send in a few very well trained, and very deadly, operatives and have them deal with the top officials in the regime? We might find some to be very agreeable to our terms after a few intense ... 'workouts', we'll call them. If they refuse to be co-operative, well, I'm sure removing them from the situation entirely might convince their successors to see our way of thinking. It'll be cheaper for us with no long lasting effects on either nation. Everybody wins! Except for those assassinated, of course, but let's not concern ourselves with those little details."
Accept

Issue by: The Divine Republic of Sanctaria

Golgothastan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Golgothastan » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:41 pm

Thanks added.

Couple of thoughts:
  • the names in #389 don't look randomly generated
  • I've opted to include "The Story So Far" text, but as the chain gets more complex this may no longer be possible
  • do you think I should list these issues in order, or put all the chain issues together in one separate post, skipping over them in the issue list?

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:01 pm

Golgothastan wrote:Thanks added.

Couple of thoughts:
  • I've opted to include "The Story So Far" text, but as the chain gets more complex this may no longer be possible
  • do you think I should list these issues in order, or put all the chain issues together in one separate post, skipping over them in the issue list?

Keep the first issue in the chain here, then link to another thread.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

Mediobogdum II
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 01, 2013
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Mediobogdum II » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:34 pm

Valrifell wrote:
Golgothastan wrote:Thanks added.

Couple of thoughts:

Keep the first issue in the chain here, then link to another thread.

But still list all the chain issues in this thread and linking them to the new thread?

Mostrov
Minister

Founded: Aug 06, 2009

Postby Mostrov » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:14 pm

Last edited by Mostrov on Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

Divitaen
Senator

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Divitaen » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:38 pm

I think this may be a new one:

The Issue

Your personal assistant, Charlotte Sweet, has threatened to tell the newspapers that you had an affair with her unless you give her lots of money.

The Debate

"Whether you did it or not, we can't let this story get out," says your Chief of Staff over scotch and cigars, "Think of the scandal! No, no, no. Pay her. Pay the tabloids. Pay anyone who's ever heard the word affair! Pay them as much as it takes to make this disappear. Sure, this might just incentivize all those others to come forward demanding hush money, but sometimes you have to put your career first."

"We just have to make sure she doesn't win the case," councils your attorney Lars Rubin, "Force all the newspapers to brand her a liar. Release statements saying you stand by your family. Drastic measures must be taken to stop that woman and her lies! Now let's prep your testimony. Repeat after me: I did not have an affair with that woman."

"Maybe this little problem really isn't a dilemma," opines your press advisor, Britney Lopez, "We live in modern times, and I don't think the public care about who sleeps with whom. You're better off coming clean about the whole thing. At the very least people will say you're honest. People don't say that a whole lot about politicians these days."
Hillary Clinton 2016! Stronger Together!
EU Referendum: Vote Leave = Project Hate #VoteRemain!
Economic Right/Left: -8.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.15
Foreign Policy Non-interventionist/Neo-conservative: -10.00
Cultural Liberal/Conservative: -10.00
Social Democrat:
Cosmopolitan/Nationalistic - 38%
Secular/Fundamentalist - 50%
Visionary/Reactionary - 56%
Anarchistic/Authoritarian - 24%
Communistic/Capitalistic - 58%
Pacifist/Militarist - 39%
Ecological/Anthropocentric - 55%

Golgothastan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Golgothastan » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:01 am

Thanks, added. Bit of a clunker of an issue for nations with gay male/straight female @@LEADER@@s, though.

Divitaen
Senator

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Divitaen » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:57 am

Golgothastan wrote:Thanks, added. Bit of a clunker of an issue for nations with gay male/straight female @@LEADER@@s, though.

Yeah, it is pretty heteronormative I guess.
Hillary Clinton 2016! Stronger Together!
EU Referendum: Vote Leave = Project Hate #VoteRemain!
Economic Right/Left: -8.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.15
Foreign Policy Non-interventionist/Neo-conservative: -10.00
Cultural Liberal/Conservative: -10.00
Social Democrat:
Cosmopolitan/Nationalistic - 38%
Secular/Fundamentalist - 50%
Visionary/Reactionary - 56%
Anarchistic/Authoritarian - 24%
Communistic/Capitalistic - 58%
Pacifist/Militarist - 39%
Ecological/Anthropocentric - 55%

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 12, 2008

Postby Sanctaria » Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:02 am

Divitaen wrote:
Golgothastan wrote:Thanks, added. Bit of a clunker of an issue for nations with gay male/straight female @@LEADER@@s, though.

Yeah, it is pretty heteronormative I guess.

The game has no way of knowing if your leader is gay or straight (it can tell if it's a woman though and, if it is, a mistress of any sex is still a scandal!)
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258

Dr. Bethany Greer CMD, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

Auralia wrote:Your condescending attitude is remarkably annoying.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:53 am

Choosing option '2' on #388 =>

[An International Incident] Select Your Target!

The Story So Far
Your government's response to overtures of aggression from the Brasilistanis has been to bomb specific high-level, valuable assets in the nation.

The Issue
Having decided to launch a tactical strike on Brasilistan, your military advisors have drawn up a list of different targets, each ranging in terms of severity and civilian casulties.

The Debate
1. Admiral Nelson Wellington presents you with a file first. "This is an aerial view map of Western Brasilistan. We have circled in red key armament factories, military bases, and a military airport. Eliminating these targets will not only harm the enemy's ability to mobilise an effective retaliatory attack, but it also makes it easier for us to land troops on the west coast. The impact on civilians will be minimal."

2. "That won't be enough", Air Marshal Lara Rubin says firmly. "Here is a map of the same region, but as you can see our targets are much more crucial to Brasilistan's infrastructure. Give the go ahead and my pilots will unleash their bombs on the city itself. There is a 100% chance of high civilian casualties, but it's to ensure that the enemy has a 0% chance of retaliation, in any way, shape, or form."

3. "Or we could just nuke them", General Barack Cruz says, pushing the other two out of the way. "Think about it. None of our soldiers will go in so there'll be zero casualties on our side. All it takes is one bomb, so it's considerably cheaper, and it means there'll be no drawn-out conflict. I can't see a loss. To us, anyway. It'll decimate Brasilistan, but they are the enemy, and this is war."

I'm going to choose option '1' here.
Last edited by Bears Armed on Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Golgothastan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Golgothastan » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:18 am

Thanks, added.

I've split off the issues chain into a separate post, but kept the issues listed in numerical order with anchor links.

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:19 pm

For issue 415, the sports name should be @@ANIMAL@@ball and not Catball.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

Golgothastan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Golgothastan » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:24 pm

Thanks, fixed.

Mostrov
Minister

Founded: Aug 06, 2009

Postby Mostrov » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:35 pm

Last edited by Mostrov on Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anti-Zombie Mercenary Group
Lobbyist

Founded: Nov 17, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Anti-Zombie Mercenary Group » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:00 pm

#399 [An International Incident] Invasion Plan

Issue Series

The Story So Far

Your government's response to Brasilistan holding @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ citizens hostage was to take out military installations and armament factories, weakening the country's military capacity.

The Issue

Despite having had a considerable amount of cruise missiles launched at their military bases and airfields, the Brasilistanis are showing no signs of giving up the fight. Public opinion has turned to ending the conflict, and there is a growing consensus that invasion is the only way to finish it.

The Debate

1. "We've softened them up, but that doesn't mean that an invasion will be easy for us", you military adviser says, unfurling a large map of Brasilistan and laying it out on your desk. "If we land here, here, and here, at these beaches on the west coast, we can march to the capital and wipe out any resistance we come across. We'll need to do it in overwhelming numbers if it's to be any way effective though – it's likely we'll lose a significant number of personnel."

Accept

2. "We'll be unnecessarily putting thousands of lives at risk if we do that", your Chief of Staff chimes in. "What we need to do is take out the boys at the top. Chop the head off the snake, as it were. If we cripple the chain of command by a decisive strike to the heart of Brasilistan, I think we'll find the invasion will go much more smoothly. We should be able to airlift our best commandos into the capital without too much difficulty. I trust them to complete the mission. Do you?"

Accept

3. "Invasion will cost our soldiers their lives, and we shouldn't put a single citizen's life at risk", your Minister for Domestic Affairs muses loudly. "Brasilistan is proving tougher than expected, their resistance is admirable, but it's time to put this whole thing to rest I think. I suggest we go nuclear. Couple of bombs in a couple of hours and this whole thing will be done by tea-time."

Accept

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:50 am

Choosing option '2' on # 399 =>

[An International Incident] Insurgents Resurgence

The Story So Far
With Brasilistan's military weakened, you sent in some commandos to assassinate the leaders of the armed forces.

The Issue
Your elite commando units have managed to take out the command structure of the Brasilistan military, but its remnants are continuing to attack your troops present in the country. With public opinion beginning to turn, your advisers once again gather to discuss the situation.

The Debate
1. "We've gone this far, why not take it a step further", your Minister for Domestic Affairs says quietly. "Send in the rest of our armed forces to mop up, and then when they're done, encourage our own citizens to move there on a permanent basis. I'm talking colonisation here, yes, so it will be a long, drawn-out process, but we've invested so much already that it'd be folly not to follow through."

2. "Colonisation is expensive and right now it's unnecessary", General Billy-Bob Groves booms around the room. "But we shouldn't let them get away with hurting our boys over there. I don't know how y'all are feeling about this campaign but it's beginning to get on my back teeth and I'm getting sick and tired of these damned insurgents upsetting our every plan. We should just find them and kill them, and if we can't find them, kill anyone remotely connected to them. That'll teach 'em."

3. "Ah who cares about Brasilistan really", your National Security Advisor exclaims exasperatedly, throwing a pen across the desk. "I don't. It's causing us far much trouble, more than it's worth actually, and it's going to bankrupt us if we continue – and that's before we even think about colonisation. And even if we back out now, in a few years they'll retaliate once they've built up their strength. Let's nip this in the bud. Nuke them."

And that's where this nation presses the 'Dismiss' button.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?