NATION

PASSWORD

Regarding Robbers rights

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Genomita
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 10, 2010
Ex-Nation

Regarding Robbers rights

Postby Genomita » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:48 am

The Issue
The Household Defence Alliance is lobbying for the right to kill anyone who trespasses on private property.

The Debate
1. "We must take a stand against burglars and looters entering our property," explains HDA President, Catherine Gratwick, while digging a moat around her house. "We should be able to rip their guts out with a machine gun, no questions asked. If they want rights they should have considered the poor sod they were robbing."

2. "Even burglars have human rights," says @@RANDOMNAME@@, while thieving a @@CURRENCY@@ from your pocket. "And we don't deserve to be shot for trying to make our way in the world. People are far more important than property, I hope you agree! Why attack a burglar? That's the job of the coppers! I think anyone injuring anyone else should be severely punished with no excuses about trespassers or defending your property. Or yourself."

3. "Hey, let's not be hasty!" cautions @@RANDOMNAME@@, an anti-gun protester. "I'm not for riddling burglars with bullets either, but I do want to protect my family! I think it would be a lot more sensible if we allowed homeowners to attack burglars, but not with guns. In fact it would be even better if we just banned guns while we're at it."

My nation is currently experiencing problems with crime. However, none of these options seems like a good idea to me, as I am trying to protect my citizen's personal freedoms without banning guns or causing crime to rise even higher.

My guess is that option #01 would lower crime while decreasing civil rights and live expactations while number #2 would accomplish the opposite. Does anybody have reliable information how exactly these options affect a nation, or should I just dismiss it and wait for a better crime-related issue ?
Last edited by Genomita on Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
I use 80BF00 for native Genomitan,4040BF for Standard and BF80000 for Skav

Banyuwangi
Lobbyist

Founded: Aug 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Banyuwangi » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:17 am

Option 2 will:

Decrease:
weaponization by 27%
Safety by 5,72%
Safety from crime by 6,25%

So, this option decrease safety. Ain't no good...

However, the only good news is that pacifism increase with 12%

Enjoy!
Banyuwangi
Gay

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:50 am

Percentage changes for choosing issue options aren't necessarily the same for all nations: They can be affected by the nations' sizes (smaller ones being easier to change) and by where those nations currently fall on the scales concerned.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Alicutia
Civil Servant

Founded: Sep 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Alicutia » Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:05 pm

I Choose option 1 and crime went down dramatically Then again that has been happening with every issue i have addressed today.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:09 am

Makes sense. If you make fewer things illegal (like killing an intruder) then there'll be less "crime".

Or to put it another way, a nation that makes breathing illegal has 100% crime. A nation that says you can do whatever you please has 0% crime.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:10 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Or to put it another way, a nation that makes breathing illegal has 100% crime. A nation that says you can do whatever you please has 0% crime.
In my experience, this is not actually how it works in this game. Anarchies tend to have high crime.

However, allowing killing burglars means there will be fewer burglars.

Willy Beamish
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 06, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Willy Beamish » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:09 pm

Option 1 lowers Crime and raises Civil Rights, Economic Freedom and Intelligence. However, it also increase the Wealth Gaps and decreases Weaponization.

Yeah. Allowing the citizens to shoot burglars causes everyone to get rid of their weapons. Makes total sense.
Last edited by Willy Beamish on Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:17 pm

Weaponization depends far too much on Crime, rather than stuff that actually has to do with weapons.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?