NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Driven To Distraction

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

[SUBMITTED] Driven To Distraction

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:19 am

Current:

Name

Driven To Distraction

Description

At fifty miles per hour a heavy goods vehicle ploughed into stationary traffic, demolishing a small hatchback and ending the lives of the family of three within it. The twist in the tale? The driver was using his mobile phone, texting to his own wife that he was on his way home. This isn't the first tragedy caused by using a mobile phone while driving, but many are hoping that it can be made to be the last.

Validity

not valid for nations that have banned cars, banned mobile phones or have self driving cars.

The Debate

[option]"That driver... that idiot... He is a murderer!"" sobs @@randomfemalename@@, relative of the deceased family. "A vehicle is a deadly weapon. A driver using his phone while driving is like a chef throwing his cooking knives into a crowded restaurant: you can't claim that they don't know it's dangerous. A sentence of life imprisonment should be attached to this crime, and anyone who is caught using a phone while driving should be charged with attempted murder. The deterrence factor will stop this happening again, especially if you increase police presence to enforce this."
[effect]the police prioritise catching phone-using drivers over chasing down gangsters and human traffickers

[option]"Look, maybe we all know it's not good to check our phones all the time," suggests @@randomnakefirstname@@, a young government aide, his eyes flicking down to his jacket pocket in response to a message alert tone, "but it's something we've probably all done once or twice, and it's an easy thing to slip the mind. Education and adaptation is the key here instead: launch a national campaign of adverts to promote not using phones while driving, and maybe require the auto-industry to have hands-free mobile functionality as standard." His phone beeps again. "Uh... Do you mind if I check this...?"
[effect]ironic crashes into roadside neon signs promoting safe driving are always good for a laugh

[option]"Technology has caused the problem, let technology fix it," says @@randomname@@, a representative from manufacturer Fones4Me. "You don't need the laws to be any stricter than before, you just need to crowd-source your evidence provision. There's plenty of CCTV coverage of roads and traffic - make these recordings publicly available, and the public will he happy to comb through the footage to find pictures of drivers using phones while in control of a vehicle. Make this admissible in court, and your conviction rate will increase tenfold."
[effect]drivers are using their phone cameras to take pictures of dangerous drivers who use their phones while driving

[option]"Using a phone while driving just takes a bit of common sense and restraint," suggests auto mechanic @@randomname@@. "It shouldn't be a crime in itself, though obviously this idiot driver who killed that family should be punished for vehicular manslaughter. Way I see it, texting and driving is a bit like leaving off your seatbelt, or driving after smoking a joint, or eating a burger on the move, or resting one eye at a time for a semi-nap on the motorway: you should be allowed to use your own judgment as to whether you can handle it or not, but face up to the consequences if it goes wrong."
[effect]the auto-repair trade reports that business is booming

First draft:
Name

Driven To Distraction

Description

At fifty miles per hour a heavy goods vehicle ploughed into stationary traffic, demolishing a small hatchback and ending the lives of the family of three within it. The twist in the tale? The driver was using his mobile phone, texting to his own wife that he was on his way home. This isn't the first tragedy caused by using a mobile phone while driving, but many are hoping that it can be made to be the last.

Validity

not valid for nations that have banned cars, banned mobile phones or have self driving cars.

The Debate

[option]"The way I see it is that the driver is a murderer," sobs @@randomfemalename@@, who is daughter to dead parents and sister to a dead brother, thanks to the accident. "A vehicle is a deadly weapon. A driver using his phone while driving is like a chef throwing his cooking knives into a crowded restaurant: you can't claim that they don't know its dangerous. A sentence of life imprisonment should be attached to this crime, and anyone who is caught using a phone while driving should be charged with attempted murder. The deterrence factor will stop this happening again, especially if you increase police presence to enforce this."
[effect]the police prioritise catching phone-using drivers over chasing down gangsters and human traffickers

[option]"Look, maybe we all know its not good to check our phones all the time," suggests @@andomfirstmalename@@, a young government aide, his eyes flicking down to his jacket pocket in response to a message alert tone, "but it's something we've probably all done once or twice, and its an easy thing to slip the mind. Education is the key here instead: launch a national campaign of adverts to promote not using phones while driving, and I'm sure the message will stick." His phone beeps again. "Uh... Do you mind if I check this...?"
[effect]ironic crashes into roadside neon signs promoting safe driving are always good for a laugh

[option]"Technology has caused the problem, let technology fix it," says @@randomname@@, a representative from manufacturer Fones4Me. "You don't need the laws to be any stricter than before, you just need to crowdsource your evidence provision. Make CCTV recordings publically available, and the public will he happy to comb through the footage to find pictures of drivers using phones while in control of a vehicle. Make this admissable in court, and your conviction rate will increase tenfold."
[effect]drivers are using their phone cameras to take pictures of dangerous drivers who use their phones while driving

[option]"Using a phone while driving just takes a bit of common sense and restraint," suggests auto mechanic @@randomname@@. "It shouldn't be a crime in itself, though obviously this idiot driver who killed that family should be punished for vehicular manslaughter. Way I see it, texting and driving is a bit like leaving off your seatbelt, or driving after smoking a joint, or eating a burger on the move, or resting one eye at a time for a semi-nap on the motorway: you should be allowed to use your own judgment as to whether you can handle it or not, but face up to the consequences if it goes wrong."
[effect]the auto-repair trade reports that business is booming

Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:23 am, edited 12 times in total.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:17 am

Option 2: What CCTV recordings?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:23 am

Australian Republic wrote:Option 2: What CCTV recordings?

Good point, let's establish that:

[option]"Technology has caused the problem, let technology fix it," says @@randomname@@, a representative from manufacturer Fones4Me. "You don't need the laws to be any stricter than before, you just need to crowdsource your evidence provision. There's plenty of CCTV coverage of roads and traffic - make these recordings publicly available, and the public will he happy to comb through the footage to find pictures of drivers using phones while in control of a vehicle. Make this admissable in court, and your conviction rate will increase tenfold."

A Humanist Science
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 24, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby A Humanist Science » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:28 am

Needs a require-all-cars-to-support-a-hands-free option. Side effects may include subsidizing the automobile industry, police/strange-pale-skinned-man tracking of the populations' conversations, etc.
Last edited by A Humanist Science on Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:45 am

A Humanist Science wrote:Needs a require-all-cars-to-support-a-hands-free option. Side effects may include subsidizing the automobile industry, police/strange-pale-skinned-man tracking of the populations' conversations, etc.

One sensibly straightforward option is plenty, so I'll add this to the education option.

[option]"Look, maybe we all know its not good to check our phones all the time," suggests @@andomfirstmalename@@, a young government aide, his eyes flicking down to his jacket pocket in response to a message alert tone, "but it's something we've probably all done once or twice, and its an easy thing to slip the mind. Education and adaptation is the key here instead: launch a national campaign of adverts to promote not using phones while driving, and maybe require the auto-industry to have hands-free mobile functionality as standard." His phone beeps again. "Uh... Do you mind if I check this...?"

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:27 pm

Self-driving cars
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:33 pm

Option 1: like a chef throwing his cooking knives into a crowded restaurant: you can't claim that they don't know it's dangerous.
Also, just curious, as a doctor in a hospital, how many of these cases have you seen IRL?

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:16 am

Australian Republic wrote:Option 1: like a chef throwing his cooking knives into a crowded restaurant: you can't claim that they don't know it's dangerous.
Also, just curious, as a doctor in a hospital, how many of these cases have you seen IRL?

I don't work in hospitals, and last time I did, mobile phones had only just started proliferating.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:17 am

Australian Republic wrote:Self-driving cars

Considered, but a separate issue really.

I've accounted for it already in the validity criteria.

Arridian Islands
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 17, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Arridian Islands » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:21 am

I don't think the self driving cars validity should be there, as although self driving cars would be legal, it doesn't mean everyone would have them.
If you want to contact me on my views or anything else, telegram me or add me on skype, my username is akyrathewolf.
I have 0 active alts now. RIP
My personal views:
Pro: nationalism, social democracy, environmentalism, freedom, gun rights, LGBT rights, language preservation/ language revival, Native American interests, atheism

Anti: Any extremism, Islam, feminism, SJWs, violent protesters, racial supremacy, laissez-faire, Democrats and Republicans (USA), BLM, interventionism

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:10 am

Arridian Islands wrote:I don't think the self driving cars validity should be there, as although self driving cars would be legal, it doesn't mean everyone would have them.

A fair point, except that issue options that introduce self-driving cars do often say that human drivers are being replaced in their entirety by self driving cars.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:15 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:[option]"Look, maybe we all know its not good to check our phones all the time," suggests @@andomfirstmalename@@

I think you left out an "r."
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:17 am

USS Monitor wrote:
Candlewhisper Archive wrote:[option]"Look, maybe we all know its not good to check our phones all the time," suggests @@andomfirstmalename@@

So I did, thanks!

Life would be a lot easier if we could just use the editing room macros in the GI forum, I reckon!

Gnejs
Issues Editor

Founded: May 11, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Gnejs » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:19 am

USS Monitor wrote:

No, that's just our new ethiopian-themed macro :p

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:29 am

Gnejs wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:

No, that's just our new ethiopian-themed macro :p

Spiffy. :lol:
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Leppikania
Minister

Founded: Apr 13, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Leppikania » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:45 am

and its an easy thing to slip the mind.

Missing an apostrophe here.
INTP, -4.25 Economic Left/Right, -4.1 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian, tastes like chicken.
I do use NS stats, thank you very much.
Funny Quotes
Pie charts for industries
Request an Embassy

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:47 am

Leppikania wrote:
and its an easy thing to slip the mind.

Missing an apostrophe here.

Gah, no less than three instances of that. My most common error, I think.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?