NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED 30.3.16] Do You Want to Build a Show, Man?

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:40 am

RE: Option 3
A summer carnival is only good near the coast. Very few coastal places see snow. There is a close to 0 chance that a city could host a summer and a winter carnival. Unless of coarse, the city is near mountains which see snow. This is likely, but the city itself would not see snow

Also, can I make a suggestion for an edit for option 1:
[option]"You wanna build a show, man? Because we want to come outside and play" sings Anna, an excitable party-lover, "Now if we don't want to clash with other festivals in the region, we should have it in winter: a snow carnival would be awesome! We could have people of every nation huddling together over mugs of hot cocoa, outdoor ice rinks, snow-themed carnival floats! Do it once a year in the big city, and you could make @@CAPITAL@@ into fun central!"
[effect]the season of pneumonia and rising heating bills is seen as cause for celebration
[stats]tourism increases a lot, cheerfulness increases, culture increases, inclusiveness increases, industry: retail incereases, industry: beverage sales increases, economy increases, charmlessness decreases, political apathy increases, youth rebelliousness increases, compliance decreases, law and order spending increases, law enforcement decreases, recreational drug use increases, crime increases, ignorance increases, eco-friendliness decreases, nudity increases,

And option 2:
[option]"Go away, Anna!" yells her older sister irritably. "We don't want people all over our city, making a mess and making a noise. In fact, what we want is to keep people out, and lower our profile as a tourist destination to keep undesirable sorts away. Close the doors to @@NAME@@, and the carnival...? Let it go!"
[effect]footloose dancers are banned from having a good time
[stats]social conservatism increases, tourism decreases, safety increases, charmlessness increases,
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:06 am

I can see that those are both changes, but I don't see how they improve the issue. They just add more words with no more information transmitted.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:21 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:I can see that those are both changes, but I don't see how they improve the issue. They just add more words with no more information transmitted.

Fair enough. Did you see what I wrote about the summer/winter thing?
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:44 am

Yes, but I didn't think it made any sense. As long as a city is moving forwards through time, it can have a festival any time of year it chooses. Are you seriously suggesting that only coastal cities have summer carnivals? Or that any single city can only have carnivals during a single season of the year?

I'd suggest going to google, picking a capital city of your choice and then looking at its year-round entertainment calendar. Invariably, you'll find it's a year-round entertainment calendar.

It'd be more reasonable to say that all nations get snow, or that not all capital cities get snow in winter. That'd be reasonable, though I'd address this by saying that the game has no way of knowing whether a country gets snow at winter or not, just like it has no way of knowing a whole load of things that issues assume. I think that its a Schrodinger's Narrative thing: a capital city may or may not be a place where you could have a snow carnival, but that bit of reality doesn't become necessary to define till you open the box (the issue) and doesn't become a concrete feature till you pick the response that confirms you do.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:29 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Yes, but I didn't think it made any sense. As long as a city is moving forwards through time, it can have a festival any time of year it chooses. Are you seriously suggesting that only coastal cities have summer carnivals? Or that any single city can only have carnivals during a single season of the year?

I'd suggest going to google, picking a capital city of your choice and then looking at its year-round entertainment calendar. Invariably, you'll find it's a year-round entertainment calendar.

It'd be more reasonable to say that all nations get snow, or that not all capital cities get snow in winter. That'd be reasonable, though I'd address this by saying that the game has no way of knowing whether a country gets snow at winter or not, just like it has no way of knowing a whole load of things that issues assume. I think that its a Schrodinger's Narrative thing: a capital city may or may not be a place where you could have a snow carnival, but that bit of reality doesn't become necessary to define till you open the box (the issue) and doesn't become a concrete feature till you pick the response that confirms you do.

Fair enough

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:45 am

Australian Republic wrote:A summer carnival is only good near the coast.
[citation needed]

Australian Republic wrote:Very few coastal places see snow.
[citation needed]

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:I think that its a Schrodinger's Narrative thing: a capital city may or may not be a place where you could have a snow carnival, but that bit of reality doesn't become necessary to define till you open the box (the issue) and doesn't become a concrete feature till you pick the response that confirms you do.
Like I said though, if I get this issue on a nation that doesn't get snow, I'll likely mentally edit out the "winter" part and just answer based on how much my nation likes carnivals.

You haven't made the season relevant to the issue in any way that someone who isn't a Frozen fan will care about.

It's not like, say, getting an issue about piracy or whaling in a landlocked nation, where the topic is so completely inapplicable that I'd have little choice but to dismiss it.

Previous

Return to Got Issues?