NATION

PASSWORD

Empty the Loony Bin? [SUBMITTED!]

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
TurtleShroom
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 13, 2009
Ex-Nation

Empty the Loony Bin? [SUBMITTED!]

Postby TurtleShroom » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:36 am

NATIONSTATES
ISSUE PROPOSITION; SUBJECT: DEINSTITUTIONALIZATION

Issue name:Empty the Loony Bin?

Validity: For all nations with a government and a prison system. For all nations that have incarceration. Not valid for nations that focus insanely on rehab. Not valid for nations that have abolished prison or prefer “community guidance”.

Description: @@NATION@@’s largest mental hospital, “Objective Healing and Care Repository for the Absurd and Paranoid of the @@TYPE@@”, has finally reached its full capacity. With the @@NAME@@ prison system preparing plans for a new institution, human rights activists are now campaigning not just to stop the construction, but to end the institutionalization policy of anyone deemed “insane”.

CHOICES:
[option]”It’s so horrible it breaks my heart.” sniffles @@RANDOMNAME@@, handing you a tissue. “I saw a poor soul who thought he was a vampire in there the other day. After being convicted for drinking the blood of a citizen, they locked him up in this horrible place, never again for him to see the light of the full moon…’ he breaks down in tears. “I can’t take it! It’s not right for the state to lock away people just because folks think they’re ‘crazy’! No, they’re just different, that’s all! Respect the rights of ‘different’ people and stop this madness! Deinstitutionalize @@NAME@@ and free the hostages! For their sake!”
[effect]the nation’s mental institutions have been shut down and their insane inmates now roam the streets
[stats]nation becomes more Liberal, Compassion up, Civil Rights up, Crime way up, Taxes slashed, Death by Murder up, Law and Order down, Healthcare down, "Death by Exposure" way up

[option]“Don’t listen to that guy. He’s just another sorry bleeding heart.” says @@RANDOMNAME@@, warden of the mental institute. “You must continue to allow us to lock up the insane, the paranoid, the mentally retarded, and the lumberjacks donning women’s clothing without hindrance! Without mental hospitals, these people would either be eating people on the streets or getting raped in normal criminal prison. Just give us more funds, all right?”
[effect]”funny farms” have become “funny plantations” now that the nation is greatly expanding its mental hospital system
[stats]Healthcare way up, Taxes up, crime slashed, Safety way up, Happiness up, "Death by Exposure" slashed

[option]“Why do we need funny farms anyway?” asks @@RANDOMNAME@@, local prison warden. “We should just lock the crazies in normal jail. It’s cheaper, easier, and still gets rid of people. It’s not like the people that think they’re Superman will beat up other inmates and cause prison riots. What could POSSIBLY go wrong?”
[effect]prisons are bathed in the blood of mentally deranged patients and convicted criminals that are always rioting
[stats]Taxes down, Civil Rights down, Cynicism up, “Death by Police Custody” up, Prisons up, nation becomes more Rightist, Death Rates up, “Death by Old Age” down, "Death by Exposure" slashed

[options]”Heh heh. Hey, here’s a brilliant idea!” laughs @@RANDOMNAME@@, an advisor of yours, while consistently trembling and rubbing his hands together. “Yeah. Why not institutionalize political dissidents! Ha ha! Yeah! Drag in anyone that questions you, ‘cause obviously, disagreeing with the great @@LEADER@@ of @@NAME@@ is a clear-cut case of TOTAL MENTAL INSANITY! We’ll teach ‘em, yeah, we’ll teach ‘em what’s right to think! Lock ‘em all up! PRAISE @@NAME@@! Ha ha! HA!” he throws back his head and cackles maniacally. “BA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!”
[effects]dissenting with the government is officially a mental disease
[stats]Law and Order up, Healthcare up, Apathy down, Corruption skyrockets, Political Freedoms slashed, nation becomes far more Authoritarian, Extremism up, nation takes political prisoners, Brainwashing up, nation becomes more evil, leader now “rules with an iron fist”, across the board crumbling of liberty, nation becomes more dictorial, Death Rate up, “Death by Old Age” down, "Death by Exposure" slashed

:D
Last edited by TurtleShroom on Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
THE FUTURE
IS IN THE
PAST!!

Jesus Loves You and Died for You!!
●▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ש✞ש▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬●
NationStates' only surviving States' Rights Democrat/Dixiecrat (minus the rascism)!

Frenequesta
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 22, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Frenequesta » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:35 am

"Nation becomes more liberal" and "civil rights up" are redundant, as on NS it means the same thing. "Cynicism" is a quality encountered at low political freedoms, and the option where it increases doesn't imply a drop in political freedom. "Brainwashing", "evil" and "Rightist" are not statistics as far as I know, and "death rate up" might be replaced with a decrease in average lifespans to be a bit more technical.

I would also add that the first option should also increase death by exposure, as it's usually considered a measurement of homelessness (as you probably know, the increase in homelessness in the US in the 80's was partly due to a wide-scale release of people in mental wardens).

Otherwise, you're quite good at this. Even got a classic acronym in the description.
I’m mostly here for... something to do, I suppose.

TurtleShroom
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 13, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby TurtleShroom » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:12 pm

Frenequesta wrote:*snip*

Thank you. Your items have been factored in.

"Brainwashing" is part of the "Most Authorarian" category. "Rightist" is my synonym of the "Most Conservative" category. "Cynicism" is a description of the populace. (Its hard-nosed, eetc., cynical population...)

"Death Rate" generally increases the amount of "deaths" for the table. It's a cut to any natural cause and raises the percentage of the others on the pie. "Old Age" itself is exactly what it says on the tin: it cuts the Old Age stat. 'Evil", to me, is a large part of "Most Avoided", sometimes "Most Extreme", "Most Authortarian", the crime rates, and the corruption of the government.
THE FUTURE
IS IN THE
PAST!!

Jesus Loves You and Died for You!!
●▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ש✞ש▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬●
NationStates' only surviving States' Rights Democrat/Dixiecrat (minus the rascism)!

Frenequesta
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 22, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Frenequesta » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:14 pm

TurtleShroom wrote:
Frenequesta wrote:*snip*

"Cynicism" is a description of the populace. (Its hard-nosed, eetc., cynical population...)

Exactly. The description only pops up if the nation has low political freedoms.
I’m mostly here for... something to do, I suppose.

Maroza
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 28, 2011
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Maroza » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:29 pm

Love the issue they way it is at the moment. I think this is one that will pass and become an issue.
Last edited by Maroza on Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current level 5: Peacetime
Find a Helmet
Put on a Helmet

Find me someone who does not support the revolutionary sciences and the technology of peace and they will be shot as traitors to the revolution.~Aethrys
The disease first struck a wealthy nation with low population density, an adequate health care system and naturally declining population.

Return to Got Issues?