NATION

PASSWORD

Not to sound like a n00b but...

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Tynmark
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 30, 2010
Ex-Nation

Not to sound like a n00b but...

Postby Tynmark » Tue May 25, 2010 9:36 am

Hey all.

I'm looking to get involved in II here, seeing as it has an awesome rep for RP, and the RP that i'm currently involved in is a bureaucracy choked morass.

So i just had a few questions, before I dive in.

DISCLAIMERS
1: I Have indeed read some of the nifty guides you have up in II. These questions (i hope) are not clearly answered in those.
2: I'm no stranger to nationstates, or to RP. I'm not a COMPLETE n00b, but this is my first time venturing onto the official forums in an RP capacity, so i'm unfamiliar with how you folks run the show here.
3: If any of my questions ARE redundant/not new/already answered somewhere else, my B, i was having some trouble navigating your helpful hints things, so if you could direct me where i need to go i would greatly appreciate it.

QUESTIONS
1: Maps- Is there anything official, or can i just make my own? Is there any process for determining who your neighbors are, or would it be advisable to make a map with open spaces?

1a: Would a Map go in the databases area?

2: What is your policy for Statistics, such as population, military, etc? If I understand correctly, its pretty lenient, and so long as i don't deviate too much from NSE (or other types of calculators) i'll do fine. But i guess more specifically, if I were to RP my nation as having 100% of my population in the military, would you yell at me if there were no Economic or Social problems in my nation, or would it be fine so long as i'm within the general parameters of realism? ((I don't intend to RP that way, its just a hypothetical scenario))

3: Is there an acceptable level of introductory technology? I think i saw that i'm above the "age limit" for nuclear technology, but i still want to research it. Should i RP as if i've been here the whole time, you just didn't notice me, so i have a full military load out and everything? or would a different scenario be optimal?

4: Are there any other rules of thumb i should know about before I jump in? Can i alternate between PMT, MT, FT, PT, or would i theoretically have to maintain a separate datasheet for each type? ((I'm only planning on doing MT, but i'm used to PMT +/- 15 years))

Thanks in advance for your help,

-Tynmark
The Commonwealth of Tynmark
Under the Dominion of Hadar
Factbook | Political Compass
President:Lars (III) Zaelland, The Ruthless | TAFR Chairman: Lawrence Stugrand | Novid V the Third
TDA Chairman: Max Holder | NARCON: 1 | Deployment: Zone 1

Naivetry
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 02, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Naivetry » Tue May 25, 2010 12:18 pm

I've put in a move request for you - Gameplay isn't for questions on RP, and the folks in II should be able to answer your questions better. :)

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=10013

Tynmark
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Tynmark » Tue May 25, 2010 12:57 pm

:palm: thanks, my B.
President:Lars (III) Zaelland, The Ruthless | TAFR Chairman: Lawrence Stugrand | Novid V the Third

Stedicules
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Stedicules » Tue May 25, 2010 1:05 pm

You can make your nation look however you wish. There is a flag maker in Gameplay that is quite good. For the neighbor thing, I believe that you should ask the nation you wish to be near, if they want to be near you. You should put your map in a factbook (check "Factbook & National Information for the Factbook guide. Also see examples of a few from peoples sigs, you can look at mine too).
DOMINATED BY OBSESSION OF POWER AND LUST, LED BY UNWRITTEN RULES FROM CLINICAL BIRTH TO CLINICAL DEATH. ASK THE EPITHET OF GOD! IT STILL IS DECEPTION, NO IDEOLOGY, NO PROGRESS; NOTHING. THE WORLD IS SMOTHERED IN ABSURDITY.

Of The Arch ilands
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Of The Arch ilands » Tue May 25, 2010 1:27 pm

As you i came here with a skip in my step and a hole in my heart to be filled with plenty experience in RP, the place i came from (Tagged) was choked and just filling with useless one liners who simply GMed you into the ground... any who getting off track here.

Yes this is in the wrong place but thats fine you weren't to know the mods are pretty leaniant with this stuff and will just move your thread to the proper place no hassle so don't worry about it :)

In answer to your questions:

1: Maps- Is there anything official, or can i just make my own? Is there any process for determining who your neighbors are, or would it be advisable to make a map with open spaces?

Most people simply just make a map on paint of how they want there island to look and so forth a few towns and what now with no general neighbours, your neighbours are generally what ever region you reside in but then again if its an RP region they should have a region map.

if you surf the forum there are a few threads where More advanced map makers offer to create a map for you, there are some really good ones and some ones that are ok and just trying to better there skills (Like me) Most of the Advanced map makers use Paint.net which is a free Paint like program with lots of nifty kwl extra features.

There are no official database areas most people make a nation factbook if you go to the nations and factbooks part of the forum there is a helpful guide to set up a nation factbook, you can put your nations map on that if you wish.

What is your policy for Statistics, such as population, military, etc? If I understand correctly, its pretty lenient, and so long as i don't deviate too much from NSE (or other types of calculators) i'll do fine. But i guess more specifically, if I were to RP my nation as having 100% of my population in the military, would you yell at me if there were no Economic or Social problems in my nation, or would it be fine so long as i'm within the general parameters of realism? ((I don't intend to RP that way, its just a hypothetical scenario))

The general rule here is your nations military on the whole should never surpass more than 5% of your population if its any higher than that you are kinda expected to RP your countries economic collapse because of the stress your giant military puts on it. In FT there isnt much in the way of this as you generally play with a much bigger nation than you you have in MT

ooh yes if you dont already know this your MT nations population goes of your Games population. but that's a no brainer.

I beleive the General MT rule for Army percentages Training/equipment ratio. Goes something like this:

5% Conscripts armed with cheap weaponry, no real Order simply wave after wave.
3-4%% Cold war Style military the training is there but there's no real money for effective equipment.
1-2% USA/British style Military Effective well trained and well armed.

3: Is there an acceptable level of introductory technology? I think i saw that i'm above the "age limit" for nuclear technology, but i still want to research it. Should i RP as if i've been here the whole time, you just didn't notice me, so i have a full military load out and everything? or would a different scenario be optimal?

There is no real Introductory you can make it clear your nation is new and fresh on its feet no problem some times it makes for an interesting RP, but generally you'll end up getting beat down on by a much larger nation. and about military load out so long as you know what the load out is (Factbook comes in handy here) then yes you can come up with your own weapons or use RL weapons or go to one of the many Weapons store fronts in the Economics section of the forum.

But by all means Rp to your hearts content do what you wish.

4: Are there any other rules of thumb i should know about before I jump in? Can i alternate between PMT, MT, FT, PT, or would i theoretically have to maintain a separate datasheet for each type? ((I'm only planning on doing MT, but i'm used to PMT +/- 15 years))

there's absolutely nothing stopping you alternating between any of them, how ever i my self am trying to put a cannon story line together for my nations by passing through certain Threads and so forth for my eventual transition into FT i am already am half way into PMT as a nation my military is extremely advanced using American style FFW armour and my home made weapons. Nothing stopping you either, but its only really viable to have an army of men clad in that kinda armour if you have a massive military budget. (which my nation does)

Anywho i hope this helps you out. I look forward to seeing you about the forums
The Confederacy of the Arch Islands Factbook|Confederacy of the arch Planets Factbook (FT)|Military Factbook (MT)|Arch's Random Species Generator (FT)

Xiscapia wrote:In Soviet Archland, OH SHIT FRANK IS BEHIND YOU!

18:47 Urarailgun In heaven the cooks are Archian, the engineers are Urarailian, the lovers are Delemontian, and the police are Britannian. In hell the cooks are Britannian, the engineers are Delemontian, the lovers are Archian, and the police are Urarailian

Librira
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Librira » Tue May 25, 2010 2:25 pm

well on the map thing. well there is a program called the "greenfish reilef map generator" or something like that one is really good.
Last edited by Librira on Tue May 25, 2010 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Librira is a Democratic-Syndicalist nation
Sunalaya's Corentian Nationalist - Corentia is the Superior Continent!
Member of Sunalaya
Information, If you like.

Stedicules
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Stedicules » Tue May 25, 2010 2:28 pm

Librira wrote:well on the map thing. well there is a program called the "greenfish reilef map generator" or something like that one is really good.

There is also a map maker on NS.
DOMINATED BY OBSESSION OF POWER AND LUST, LED BY UNWRITTEN RULES FROM CLINICAL BIRTH TO CLINICAL DEATH. ASK THE EPITHET OF GOD! IT STILL IS DECEPTION, NO IDEOLOGY, NO PROGRESS; NOTHING. THE WORLD IS SMOTHERED IN ABSURDITY.

Of The Arch ilands
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Of The Arch ilands » Tue May 25, 2010 2:28 pm

Librira wrote:well on the map thing. well there is a program called the "greenfish reilef map generator" or something like that one is really good.

Yeh i Used that once to check it out. its easy to use but but it give no indication to where your capitol is or anything other than cities and towns on your map even then u cnt tell which is which so it still needs some editing on paint and such but its quick and easy if you want a quick map that you can then put your own towns and forts on where you want.

There is also a map maker on NS.

There is ? o.O
Last edited by Of The Arch ilands on Tue May 25, 2010 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Confederacy of the Arch Islands Factbook|Confederacy of the arch Planets Factbook (FT)|Military Factbook (MT)|Arch's Random Species Generator (FT)

Xiscapia wrote:In Soviet Archland, OH SHIT FRANK IS BEHIND YOU!

18:47 Urarailgun In heaven the cooks are Archian, the engineers are Urarailian, the lovers are Delemontian, and the police are Britannian. In hell the cooks are Britannian, the engineers are Delemontian, the lovers are Archian, and the police are Urarailian

Tynmark
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Tynmark » Tue May 25, 2010 3:13 pm

thanks! i'll check that stuff out. I've got my share of experience with paint.net and paint cartography. Used to be a Cartographer for my RP region. Im just diversifying n such.

Thank you all for your feedback! I'll tinker around and see what i come up with.

Is there an official thread for any other questions i might have, or is it alright if i keep using this one?

Comorostan
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Comorostan » Tue May 25, 2010 3:16 pm

Don't be a jerk, accept constructive criticism, write a good story. If you're doing an intro, try to be original. People get tired of the usual war/rebellion/genocide/"hi we're here now" threads. Or at least I do.

If you're looking for a sort of introductory MT RP, give me a TG.
The People's State of Comorostan - communist Zoroastrians
Member of Kayfabeland

ViZion
Powerbroker

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby ViZion » Tue May 25, 2010 3:17 pm

Tynmark - Welcome to NS RPing! I'd suggest going here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=49801
The Constitutional Federal Republic of ViZion

[ Angola | Zambia | Tanzania | Antarctica | ViZion Island | Northern South America | Central America | Astyria | Coulter Bay | 18,546,524.5 sq mi ]
(Founded June 14, 2003)
Astyria | Astyria GE&T Directory | The Astyrian Network

The Krieg Empire
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Krieg Empire » Tue May 25, 2010 3:22 pm

Check my sig if you need a map. I got some in que but im doing my best to get them done.
Sig is being reworked!
||

Satirius
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Satirius » Tue May 25, 2010 3:31 pm

You can make your own and coordinate with others as you wish. Some regions mostly made of RPers like Haven, Nova, Gholgoth, or Azhukali(to name a few) have regional maps where spots are claimed by entering nations.

They would go into your factbook, and it's generally common courtesy to provide a map when being invaded so people know how to move around in your nation. Your factbook can either be in the forums or on one of the off-site wikis such as WikiStates and NSWiki, or a dedicated site like the one Grays Harbor has.

2: What is your policy for Statistics, such as population, military, etc? If I understand correctly, its pretty lenient, and so long as i don't deviate too much from NSE (or other types of calculators) i'll do fine. But i guess more specifically, if I were to RP my nation as having 100% of my population in the military, would you yell at me if there were no Economic or Social problems in my nation, or would it be fine so long as i'm within the general parameters of realism? ((I don't intend to RP that way, its just a hypothetical scenario))

Population: Most people stick with what the front page tells them, but older nations may cap their populations.

Military: Up to 5% in a "normal" nation, where 5% means "North Korea." You can have more in an existential fight to the death, but be reminded it's not sustainable. Lyras, famous for his arms storefront, has 100% of his population in the military(you can't leave home without an assault rifle in Lyras), but he pulls it off by making it a bureaucratic measure, as all the farmers, housemaids, and stock analysts normally in the civilian part of the country is kept on the military register, but the actual "troops" numbers are pretty reasonable.

Most nations RP that way, as an isolationist and/or insignificant nation rising to the world stage.

Many nations alternate between techs, and the player behind Examplestan can set up a Grand Duchy of Examplestan set in 1228 AD, a Republic of Examplestan set in the present, and the Interstellar Empire of Examplestan set in the year 3000, and people associate with the appropriate Examplestan. Most nations are modern tech, meaning everything up to around say 2020 to 2025.
ODECON | Pact of the Bros | Your Typical International Incidents Alliance
Satirius on WS, note this is for better RPers than you

Franberry - Sharfghotten - Rosbaningrad - Tyrandis - Jeuna
Unjustly Deleted by Unjust Tyranny, and I Don't Think I Need to Mention What I Mean by Tyranny

Kagetora
Minister

Founded: Sep 18, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Kagetora » Tue May 25, 2010 3:32 pm

Tynmark wrote:QUESTIONS

Thanks in advance for your help,

-Tynmark

Well thanks for asking. One of the things we like least are people who are unwilling to admit they know nothing about what they are doing.

Well answers.

1. Considering joining one of the larger regions, such as Haven, Tarquinia, Tyrrhenia, Gholgoth, and other ones that have lots of large and respected roleplayers residing in them. They all have regional maps.

2. The vast majority of us don't pay attention to NS calculators, though you are free to do so if you wish. As for military, just roleplay the effects realistically. Having more than like 2 or 3% of your population in the military for an extended time would make you like North Korea.

3. Well either way you want to go on this one. The 100 million rule regarding nukes is only really enforced (in my experience) if you just say "HAY GUIZE, I HAZ NOOKS NAO". Roleplaying their development would definitely lessen the backlash.

4. You can switch between them, but you have to recognize that they don't interact, including histories (unless you want them to, it could provide problems for your latter tech nations though).
If you want help with something, simply send me a telegram. I'll do my best to respond intelligently, and if I can't I'll refer you to someone who can.
Caladan Imperium||Montgomery Broadcasting [EII]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents