NATION

PASSWORD

Invasion in Ixnay

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Lemmrod
Secretary

Founded: May 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Lemmrod » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:41 am

Last edited by Lemmrod on Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--------- IXNAY FADA BEO ---------

Free Ixnay!

Rephesus
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Rephesus » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:43 am

Sedgistan wrote:Comparing the legal act of invading in a nation simulation game with rape or sexual assault is not in any way appropriate. Cut it out now, or warnings for trolling will follow.

Well Legal by NS rules. As pointed out before, in terms of actual law its a bit of a grey area.

Post War America
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 05, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Post War America » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:43 am

Mallorea and Riva wrote:
Rephesus wrote:Precisely. I don't see why your surprised that the majority of RPers are pissed at this intentional targeting of RP regions for the sole purpose of invoking anger and possible flaming.

All regions are targeted which aren't Raider in origin. RP'ers are nothing special in this regard, it isn't because Ixnay is an important RP region that made it the target, it's because it is important. The fact that RP is where it derives its importance isn't overly relevant, at least not to me.

Then by that logic wouldn't it make much more sense to hit the XKI, which is probably the most prominent defender region in the game, than Ixnay which is considerably smaller, and considerably less important... as in I hadn't heard of it until it was hit. I mean, such an attack would be the raid of a century, unlike hitting another important non-R/D region.

Ultimately methinks it proves my thesis. That R/D is pretty much only fun because the Raiders get to kick over someone else's sandcastle, and the defenders get to fight back in a little proxy war, rather than fighting for their own home turf. Otherwise the RP community (and indeed the non-R/D community) in general would never have to deal with this crap because raiders and defenders could Raid and Defend to their heart's content, which would be far more peaceful and ultimately far less destructive.
Ceterum autem censeo Carthaginem delendam esse
Proudly Banned from the 10000 Islands
For those who care
A PMT Social Democratic Genepunk/Post Cyberpunk Nation the practices big (atomic) stick diplomacy
Not Post-Apocalyptic
Economic Left: -9.62
Social Libertarian: -6.00
Unrepentant New England Yankee
Gravlen wrote:The famous Bowling Green Massacre is yesterday's news. Today it's all about the Cricket Blue Carnage. Tomorrow it'll be about the Curling Yellow Annihilation.

Kaztropol
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 30, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Kaztropol » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:44 am

I have a couple of questions about this thread:

1. nshistory is an off-site tool, yes ?

2. nationstates.net only keeps information on nation events for a few days, yes ?

3. a nation that moved regions say, 6 months ago, would show as having done this on nshistory, but not on any of the information on nationstates.net itself ?

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Founded: Sep 29, 2010
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:46 am

Kaztropol wrote:I have a couple of questions about this thread:

2. nationstates.net only keeps information on nation events for a few days, yes ?

3. a nation that moved regions say, 6 months ago, would show as having done this on nshistory, but not on any of the information on nationstates.net itself ?

Kinda sorta, the information isn't stored based on time, it is stored based on space in regional/national happenings.
Ideological Bulwark #253
Retired Major of The Black Hawks
Retired Charter Nation: Political Affairs in Antarctic Oasis
Retired Colonel of DEN Central Command, now defunct
Former Delegate of The South Pacific, winner of TSP's "Best Dali" Award
Retired Secretary of Defense of Stargate
Terror of The Joint Systems Alliance
Mall Isaraider, son of Tram and Spartz, Brother of Tal and apparently Sev the treacherous bastard.
Frattastan quote of the month: Mall is following those weird beef-only diets now.

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:46 am

Rephesus wrote:
Sedgistan wrote:Comparing the legal act of invading in a nation simulation game with rape or sexual assault is not in any way appropriate. Cut it out now, or warnings for trolling will follow.

Well Legal by NS rules. As pointed out before, in terms of actual law its a bit of a grey area.

Swith Witherward has since reconsidered her assessment. She was wrong.

That aside, the topic of this thread is the invasion of Ixnay. Stick to it.

Rephesus
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Rephesus » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:49 am

Sedgistan wrote:
Rephesus wrote:Well Legal by NS rules. As pointed out before, in terms of actual law its a bit of a grey area.

Swith Witherward has since reconsidered her assessment. She was wrong.

That aside, the topic of this thread is the invasion of Ixnay. Stick to it.

Reconsidering doesn't mean she was wrong, and seeing as Ixnay was raided, you could still press her arguments on this particular raid of Ixnay, which is the topic of the thread.

Lemmrod
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Lemmrod » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:50 am

Free Ixnay!

Kistan
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 02, 2012

Postby Kistan » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:10 am

Lemmrod wrote:Well, here I go. I humbly request that all raiders please leave Ixnay, and allow us to go back to our RPing as we have always done.

I agree. It's not as if you claimed a victory for some glorious cause- all you do is cause chaos for the sake of your own enjoyment. By the way, that's the same general idea behind sociopaths, rapists, and sometimes terrorists.
Humor:
"It's the Vrell Fuel and Oils Corporation, not Kistani Oils. Kistani Oils makes lotions and petrolium jellies."
Disclaimer: Kistan is for fun, and you should not expect the IRL me to do the things Kistan may do.

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:13 am

Kistan wrote:
Lemmrod wrote:Well, here I go. I humbly request that all raiders please leave Ixnay, and allow us to go back to our RPing as we have always done.

I agree. It's not as if you claimed a victory for some glorious cause- all you do is cause chaos for the sake of your own enjoyment. By the way, that's the same general idea behind sociopaths, rapists, and sometimes terrorists.

See here. *** Warned for trolling. ***

Kaztropol
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 30, 2011

Postby Kaztropol » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:13 am

Mallorea and Riva wrote:
Kaztropol wrote:I have a couple of questions about this thread:

Kinda sorta, the information isn't stored based on time, it is stored based on space in regional/national happenings.

when I click on your profile, to go to this page: http://www.nationstates.net/nation=mallorea_and_riva
I see the "National Happenings", which has an entry up to 42 days old. It shows the ten most recent events. OK.

If I press "more", to go to this page: http://www.nationstates.net/page=activi ... a_and_riva
I see only the events happening in less than 6 days, it seems. OK.

Similar things for regional happenings. Shows the ten most recent events, and if you go to more on the regional happenings, you can see all the events in that region within the past 6 days, seemingly regardless of how many events there were. OK.

This was mentioned:
Mallorea and Riva wrote:A nation which had been in The Silver Isles (another TBR raid) which even a cursory glance at the nation's history would have revealed.

what is meant here by "A cursory glance" ? I looked at the nation in question, did not see anything in the available information that would indicate that nation had been in The Silver Isles region.

Using the nshistory off-site tool showed that the nation had been in that region, but that is an off-site tool, which I was unaware of prior to today.

My opinion currently then, is that the intrinsic tools that nationstates itself provides, don't have the functionality needed for what people use nationstates for (i.e. both r/d and rp).

To look up a nation's history, as part of "security measures", would appear to require the use of off-site tools, as nationstates own tools are inadequate. As a principle, I do not believe having to use out-of-game tools to do things that are necessary in-game, is a good thing, in any game system.

So, I currently think, that more and better in-game tools are necessary, to allow RP regions that absolutely do not want to be a part of R/D, to achieve that status.

Keyboard Warriors
Minister

Founded: Mar 17, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Keyboard Warriors » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:20 am

Like I suggested in the forum in moderation, why don't we dump passwords altogether and move to a system where the delegate and/or founder must send an invite to a nation for it to be able to join a region. In order to prevent every region from adopting a similar system and to keep similarity between passwords, a nation wouldn't be able to go to a regional page and "apply", they'd have to be invited specifically by the delegate.

This becomes a regional password that is non-transferable to other nations so regions will not have to conduct extensive background checks on nations nor reject new nations which might be suspicious, particularly regions looking for new members that don't have founders.

I think this would have almost certainly stopped the Ixnay raid and gives founderless regions a foolproof method of opting out of R/D. I doubt any regions other than those currently using passwords would swap for the new system hence there would still be plenty of founderless, unlocked regions for raiders to mess with.

I thought about this and I can't think of any obvious flaws. What do other people think?
Last edited by Keyboard Warriors on Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yes.

Lemmrod
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Lemmrod » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:23 am

Free Ixnay!

Small Huts
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Antiquity
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Small Huts » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:24 am

My apologies then. Redacted.

Astarial wrote:
Lemmrod wrote:
It's actually a pretty accurate analogy, albeit not a very popular one.

It's not even close to being accurate, which you'd know if you had any idea what you were talking about.

My point was that Mall's argument is invalid. It reduces the raid to an abusive relationship and Raiderisms to it's basest game. You know me. I've Raided. I've Raided for you I think. I realis now that my comment could have been triggering and that is not going to serve the purpose so in that regard I must confess it's inappropriateness.
Current:
World Assembly Delegate of The United Federation of Planets
Governor of The United Federation of Planets
Cure Squad Security of Equilism
Former:
World Assembly Delegate of Equilism
Chief Minister of Equilism (and minister in all departments)
ερωτâv πάντα

Keyboard Warriors
Minister

Founded: Mar 17, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Keyboard Warriors » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:26 am

Lemmrod wrote:
Keyboard Warriors wrote:Like I suggested in the forum in moderation, why don't we dump passwords altogether and move to a system where the delegate and/or founder must send an invite to a nation for it to be able to join a region. In order to prevent every region from adopting a similar system and to keep similarity between passwords, a nation wouldn't be able to go to a regional page and "apply", they'd have to be invited specifically by the delegate.

This becomes a regional password that is non-transferable to other nations so regions will not have to conduct extensive background checks on nations nor reject new nations which might be suspicious, particularly regions looking for new members that don't have founders.

I think this would have almost certainly stopped the Ixnay raid and gives founderless regions a foolproof method of opting out of R/D. I doubt any regions other than those currently using passwords would swap for the new system hence there would still be plenty of founderless, unlocked regions for raiders to mess with.

I thought about this and I can't think of any obvious flaws. What do other people think?

Pretty alright...

But that doesn't solve the problem that my dear Ixnay is overrun by heathen hordes of TBR.

As a roleplayer and a generalite, it really does kill me to say this but there's nothing that can be done to immediately rescue Ixnay from raiders. As seen with region Sapphire in 2012 (?), the game moderators won't be doing anything about it because technically it was within game rule. The only real solutions are to try and pass a liberation or try and negotiate with the raiders to leave.
Yes.

Drop Your Pants
Senator

Founded: Apr 17, 2005

Postby Drop Your Pants » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:32 am

Keyboard Warriors wrote:The only real solutions are to try and pass a liberation or try and negotiate with the raiders to leave.

Or make a new region. Its only a name afterall.
Happily oblivious to NS Drama and I rarely pay attention beyond 5 minutes

Lemmrod
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Lemmrod » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:43 am

Free Ixnay!

Kistan
Ambassador

Postby Kistan » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:44 am

-redacted-
Last edited by Kistan on Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Humor:
"It's the Vrell Fuel and Oils Corporation, not Kistani Oils. Kistani Oils makes lotions and petrolium jellies."
Disclaimer: Kistan is for fun, and you should not expect the IRL me to do the things Kistan may do.

Ambroscus Koth
Ambassador

Founded: May 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ambroscus Koth » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:07 am

People are apparently never going to learn that it's not in any way right to compare people's actions in a browser games to the sort of shit you said. It's disgusting, and makes me wonder if you honestly cannot see the divide between the internet and the real world.
☀ Pharaoh Emeritus of Osiris (x2) ☀
Lieutenant of The Black Hawks | Sovereign General of the DEN
♥ Drunk married to Aurum Rider | Author of SC#172

Miniluv: Stability is Stagnation!

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:11 am

Kistan wrote:Also, you couldn't find a better reason to warn me than trolling? TROLLING?

If you really want to press it, I'm sure we could be convinced to upgrade to nation deletion. If you really want to press the issue, that is ...

Nierr
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 24, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Nierr » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:13 am

Threatening a nation with deletion for having the temerity to question moderation decisions?

Why aren't I surprised?

Kistan
Ambassador

Postby Kistan » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:16 am

Frisbeeteria wrote:
Kistan wrote:Also, you couldn't find a better reason to warn me than trolling? TROLLING?

If you really want to press it, I'm sure we could be convinced to upgrade to nation deletion. If you really want to press the issue, that is ...

Nah. I'd rather run back to a founder region.
Humor:

Lemmrod
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Lemmrod » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:17 am

Free Ixnay!

Ever-Wandering Souls
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 01, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ever-Wandering Souls » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:18 am

Post War America wrote:
Then by that logic wouldn't it make much more sense to hit the XKI, which is probably the most prominent defender region in the game, than Ixnay which is considerably smaller, and considerably less important... as in I hadn't heard of it until it was hit. I mean, such an attack would be the raid of a century, unlike hitting another important non-R/D region.

-snip-

Ah, but see- XKI has The United States of Grub, a founder. There's no point raiding a foundered region, expect perhaps one where the founder is inactive (in which case why not wait a month or less for it to CTE and be sure), because they have god-like powers. Versus a founder, we lose. Period. And any and every active raider and defender region will keep a founder, and likely even have it's delegate non-exec to boot. Not to mention, we try to avoid attacking other raiders. Besides a few radical offshoots, we work together - as evidenced by the fact that though this is TBR's raid, you've got UIAF, LWU, and Sicarius troops in there supporting. As....someone, I don't remember who, said, if a major defender org lost it's founder, we'd be all over it, with any luck. That said, there is a certain safety in numbers. It's a lot harder to take something like Canada, for example. Though it meets the criteria, that's a lot of endo's to beat. Ixnay's delegate had seven. TO get something big like that, you'd have to infiltrate and get native endo's to get you within range of the delegate, maybe ten or fifteen off, then bring a good sized force to jump in, and then have a large number of reinforcements ready, because you can bet on losing the native endo's and having more join up to endorse their delegate. Not impossible, but difficult. Canada has somewhere above 40, if I remember right. Thomas in XKI has 298. The reason smaller targets are attacked is, simply put, because those are the ones we can get. Even if XKI went founderless, there's no way we could beat that many endo's right at this moment.

But that's all theoretical, anyways.

To everyone repeating "Why an RP region, why now?" - Because the majority of regions that are founderless, big enough to be interesting but small enough to be possible, etc are RP regions. Plus, as I've heard and seen, this was one where they had a sleeper for quite a while (and you can bet there's more out there), and were forced to move due to the potential refound. It's not an attack on an RP region becuase it's an RP region - it's an attack on a RP region because it's a valid target, and one that they had to move quickly on.

Drop Your Pants wrote:
Keyboard Warriors wrote:The only real solutions are to try and pass a liberation or try and negotiate with the raiders to leave.

Or make a new region. Its only a name afterall.

Speaking- I've seen increasing activity in New Ixnay. Can I hear any natives speak on that? Is there an evacuation going on to there, or will you continue to resist? I've seen a few prominent natives head that way, and be banned from coming back...
Last edited by Ever-Wandering Souls on Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Proud Raider; General of The Black Hawks, Ret.
TG me anytime; I'm always happy to talk about anything!

The Alicorns (Equestria) wrote:Let them stay, no need to badmouth them...From our view a bunch of nations just came in, seized the delegate position, and changed a few superficial things...we play NationStates differently...there's really no reason for us to be butthurt.
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8944227
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8951258

Misley wrote:
Hobbesistan wrote:Don't think I understand the question.
The color or what?..

Jesus, Hobbes, it's 2015. You can't just call someone "the color".

Reploid Productions wrote:Raiders are endlessly creative

How Do I Telegram API?

Omnis delenda est.

Cormac A Stark
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cormac A Stark » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:21 am

Nierr wrote:Threatening a nation with deletion for having the temerity to question moderation decisions?

Why aren't I surprised?

Questioning of Moderation decisions belongs in Moderation.

Where the thread will promptly be locked and swept under the rug.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay