NATION

PASSWORD

PASSED: Repeal "Universal Standard Time Act"

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:27 pm

Using "But it was passed" as a reason not to repeal something we have fundamental disgreement with is a very ineffective argument. If that was the bar set to gauge all repeal attempts, then there would never be any repeals as the very fact something was passed would then make repeals illegal, which is not the case. That is why repeals are an option, to correct mistakes made by the WA. We would like to point out that repeals are just as "democratic" as resolutions because they too must be voted on by the WA at large. And, we would like to note that no resolution has ever passed with a 100% "yes" vote, which means that they all must have had at least some opposition, which is another reason repeals are available.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Beldonia
Senator

Founded: Jan 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Beldonia » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:28 pm

Krioval wrote:
Beldonia wrote:I didn't mean that you guys actually forgot. It's just that you're talking a lot of shit about it now, but it was originally passed.

Uh...some of us voted against it when it came up to vote. We vigorously argued against it in the debate. However, it is possible that many national delegations were unable to participate in the debate and essentially wondered "what's the harm?" - and then voted for USTA. Well, I figured that I could demonstrate "the harm" in this repeal effort and attempt to convince some of the yes-voting nations to reconsider their stance. It's not as if the Imperial Chiefdom originally supported the USTA, after all.

Henrik Søgård
Imperial Chiefdom of Krioval

There's no "harm". According to you, it's just needless, but not harmful.

Krioval
Minister

Founded: Jan 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Krioval » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:30 pm

Beldonia wrote:There's no "harm". According to you, it's just needless, but not harmful.

The harm is in mandating technology that is not a good fit for many nations. The harm is in wasting the WA's finite time and resources on an issue best dealt with on a domestic level. Waste and inefficiency are inherently harmful to the WA.

Henrik Søgård

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:32 pm

Needless, pointless and harmful are all valid reasons to attempt a repeal. Can you explain why keeping an unnecessary resolution 'on the books' is a good idea? We would think that "needless" is a very valid reason for repeal. Why must something which is not needed also be considered "harmful" in order for it to be considered for repeal?

Not Ta'veren

Beldonia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Beldonia » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:34 pm

Grays Harbor wrote:Needless, pointless and harmful are all valid reasons to attempt a repeal. Can you explain why keeping an unnecessary resolution 'on the books' is a good idea? We would think that "needless" is a very valid reason for repeal. Why must something which is not needed also be considered "harmful" in order for it to be considered for repeal?

I don't think it's needless.

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Postby Mousebumples » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:00 pm

Beldonia wrote:
Grays Harbor wrote:Needless, pointless and harmful are all valid reasons to attempt a repeal. Can you explain why keeping an unnecessary resolution 'on the books' is a good idea? We would think that "needless" is a very valid reason for repeal. Why must something which is not needed also be considered "harmful" in order for it to be considered for repeal?

I don't think it's needless.

That is your opinion. Other delegations - clearly - disagree with you. You are welcome to your opinion, just as they are welcome to their own contrary opinion.
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

Beldonia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Beldonia » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:01 pm

Mousebumples wrote:
Beldonia wrote:I don't think it's needless.

That is your opinion. Other delegations - clearly - disagree with you. You are welcome to your opinion, just as they are welcome to their own contrary opinion.

Sure. Of course.

Takaram
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 23, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Takaram » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:36 pm

Voted for.

Embolalia
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Embolalia » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:16 pm

Beldonia wrote:There's no "harm". According to you, it's just needless, but not harmful.
Ah, but it is harmful. At the very least, it costs money. We have to pay the gnomes in the WATB and we have to maintain the clock itself. That costs money. The WA doesn't have infinite money to throw around at worthless shit. Depending on how you interpret the General Fund, it's running on manditory contributions from its members, which means my country's taxpayers, and yours, are paying their hard earned money to this crap. Or, limited voluntary funding given to the WA, which must be terribly difficult to raise, is being squandered on an unneeded clock that doesn't even make practical sense.

Also, the resolution mandates an arbitrary system of units that may be completely ridiculous to some nations. The 60-60-24 system only makes sense on Earth, where it takes roughly that time for that planet to rotate once on its axis. Any other planet (and let's not forget that some nations are on other planets) will likely rotate at a different rate, thus making those units ridiculous. (Actually, the proposal's mandate doesn't make sense on Earth, either. It requires UT to use a "24 hour, 60 minute, 60 second day", which is a 25 hour and one minute day. How does that make sense?)

Not to mention, there are nations here spread across galaxies. Time itself is not consistent across vast distances. Just as an example: On Earth, the sun is 8 minutes ago. What an observer on Earth sees happening at the sun happened 8 minutes ago. What does it even mean to keep a clock within one second in that circumstance? And if you get into relativity, time starts doing all sorts of crazy shit when you travel at light speed. So yes, this resolution is harmful.
Do unto others as you would have done unto you.
Bible quote? No, that's just common sense.
/ˌɛmboʊˈlɑːliːʌ/
The United Commonwealth of Embolalia

Gafin Gower, Prime minister
E. Rory Hywel, Ambassador to the World Assembly
Gwaredd LLwyd, Lieutenant Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author: GA#95, GA#107, GA#132, GA#185
Philimbesi wrote:Repeal, resign, or relax.

Embassy Exchange
EBC News
My mostly worthless blog
Economic Left/Right: -5.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51
Liberal atheist bisexual, and proud of it.
@marcmack wrote:I believe we can build a better world! Of course, it'll take a whole lot of rock, water & dirt. Also, not sure where to put it."

Schnubert
Attaché

Founded: Nov 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Schnubert » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:33 pm

Anyone want to repeal "Convention on Wartime Deceased"?
I find it needless and stupid, for dead people are actually just collections of material that resembles a human.
As for the Universal Time Act, I don't understand why people hate it.
Join Good Nutrition for free milk and cookies!

Beldonia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Beldonia » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:47 pm

Schnubert wrote:Anyone want to repeal "Convention on Wartime Deceased"?
I find it needless and stupid, for dead people are actually just collections of material that resembles a human.

I can't write for my life, but I agree with the sentiment.
Yeah, me neither.

Rozonia
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 09, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Rozonia » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:38 pm

Rozonia has managed its 7 timezones itself for thousands of years, and we certainly don't need a WA resolution for this. We support this repeal!

Beldonia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Beldonia » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:58 pm

Rozonia wrote:Rozonia has managed its 7 timezones itself for thousands of years, and we certainly don't need a WA resolution for this. We support this repeal!

But it doesn't infringe on the management of your timezones, so let it be.

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Postby Mousebumples » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:28 pm

Discussion on a possible repeal of a different resolution does not belong in this thread. I'd suggest you create a new thread, if you want to discuss on that topic. Even if you are not up to writing the repeal yourself, an OP with a list of specific problems you have with the resolution would be a decent jumping off point, should someone wish to take on the task of repealing that resolution.
Proud Member of UNOG

Thatius
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 29, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Thatius » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:33 pm

I voted for this resolution, as I voted against the Act in the first place. Didn't think it was necessary as Thatius has two time zones, and does not deal much in foreign affairs.

Krioval
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Krioval » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:17 pm

Then go write a repeal and keep the discussion here on this repeal.

I don't hate it. I find it a wasteful piece of legislation, and I believe in legislative efficiency whenever possible. If Your Excellency has any specific complaints about the repeal text, I would be glad to address them.

Beldonia wrote:I can't write for my life, but I agree with the sentiment.
Yeah, me neither.

Has Your Excellency actually read the arguments or listened to a single word that I have been saying? I try to be polite, but comments like these strain my patience.

Henrik Søgård

Krioval
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Krioval » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:18 pm

Rozonia wrote:Rozonia has managed its 7 timezones itself for thousands of years, and we certainly don't need a WA resolution for this. We support this repeal!

Thatius wrote:I voted for this resolution, as I voted against the Act in the first place. Didn't think it was necessary as Thatius has two time zones, and does not deal much in foreign affairs.

Both of Your Excellencies' nations somehow managed to keep time without the need for pointless WA intervention? Please spread the word! Also, the Imperial Chiefdom thanks Your Excellencies for the support.

Henrik Søgård

Burninati0n
Envoy

Founded: Oct 15, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Burninati0n » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:34 pm

We fail to see how some fail to see the benefit of this resolution on international trade. Especially considering the difficulties with measuring time when travel between planets is concerned.

We also find arguments that this is an unnecessary intrusion to be baseless, since it makes no effort to regulate anything.

Krioval
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Krioval » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:43 pm

BURNINATI0N wrote:We fail to see how some fail to see the benefit of this resolution on international trade. Especially considering the difficulties with measuring time when travel between planets is concerned.

Because interstellar nations have such problems harmonizing different time scales? That's Your Excellency's argument? The WA isn't doing anything that those nations weren't already doing, and the WA's system is almost certainly less efficient than one worked out by those nations feeling the need for such a system. There is no benefit to technologically advanced nations.

Since measuring atomic vibrations is beyond other nations, USTA leaves technologically limited nations out in the cold as well. As for the rest, I sincerely doubt that trade has suddenly improved now that an arbitrary line has been drawn on maps, and that it is half past ten there.

Henrik Søgård

Beldonia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Beldonia » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:45 pm

Krioval wrote:
BURNINATI0N wrote:We fail to see how some fail to see the benefit of this resolution on international trade. Especially considering the difficulties with measuring time when travel between planets is concerned.

Because interstellar nations have such problems harmonizing different time scales? That's Your Excellency's argument? The WA isn't doing anything that those nations weren't already doing, and the WA's system is almost certainly less efficient than one worked out by those nations feeling the need for such a system. There is no benefit to technologically advanced nations.

Since measuring atomic vibrations is beyond other nations, USTA leaves technologically limited nations out in the cold as well. As for the rest, I sincerely doubt that trade has suddenly improved now that an arbitrary line has been drawn on maps, and that it is half past ten there.

Henrik Søgård

Meh. It pretty much unifies the world when it comes to time. That's kinda cool.

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Postby Mousebumples » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:52 pm

Beldonia wrote:Meh. It pretty much unifies the world when it comes to time. That's kinda cool.

"Meh." ?

"That's pretty cool." ?

Good to know you're so very resolved and determined to make sure that your reasons for supporting the resolution in question are strong and clearly detailed. :roll:

As others have said, there's no reason to leave laws on the books simply because they don't hurt anything. If anything, such resolutions hurt my national tax rate and my national economy. My nation's people like having more money in their pocket.

We've survived for ... *checks calendar and, ironically enough, a clock* ... 8 years, 3 months, 16 days, 11 hours, and 50 minutes without having a unified time system between all WA member nations. I see no reason why such a system is suddenly required at this late date in order for our member nations to function effectively in an international world - one, mind you, in which the non-WA member nations outnumber us.
Proud Member of UNOG

Beldonia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Beldonia » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:59 pm

Mousebumples wrote:
Beldonia wrote:Meh. It pretty much unifies the world when it comes to time. That's kinda cool.

"Meh." ?

"That's pretty cool." ?

Good to know you're so very resolved and determined to make sure that your reasons for supporting the resolution in question are strong and clearly detailed. :roll:

As others have said, there's no reason to leave laws on the books simply because they don't hurt anything. If anything, such resolutions hurt my national tax rate and my national economy. My nation's people like having more money in their pocket.

We've survived for ... *checks calendar and, ironically enough, a clock* ... 8 years, 3 months, 16 days, 11 hours, and 50 minutes without having a unified time system between all WA member nations. I see no reason why such a system is suddenly required at this late date in order for our member nations to function effectively in an international world - one, mind you, in which the non-WA member nations outnumber us.

The reason is that it's kinda cool.

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:09 pm

Mousebumples wrote:

"Meh." ?

"That's pretty cool." ?

We believe that the representative from Beldonia may have broken translation buffers as he does not appear to understand the words coming from any of our mouths.

Hey, Beldonian, "Because its cool" is not sufficient reason to keep a bit of useless fluff on the books. It is not even insufficient reason. In fact, it barely qualifies as a moderately humourous interlude.

Not Ta'veren

Beldonia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Beldonia » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:12 pm

Grays Harbor wrote:
Mousebumples wrote:"Meh." ?

"That's pretty cool." ?

We believe that the representative from Beldonia may have broken translation buffers as he does not appear to understand the words coming from any of our mouths.

Hey, Beldonian, "Because its cool" is not sufficient reason to keep a bit of useless fluff on the books. It is not even insufficient reason. In fact, it barely qualifies as a moderately humourous interlude.

Meh. You're probably right. It's still kinda cool.

Krioval
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Krioval » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:14 pm

Beldonia wrote:The reason is that it's kinda cool.

It would also be "kinda cool" if Bjørn would occasionally rinse his damn dishes before running the dish washer once in a while without my having to ask repeatedly, but that doesn't mean that the WA should become involved. While a bit silly, this argument does apply to Your Excellency's statements - USTA may put forth an interesting idea, but it's one that's best managed without official legislation, especially considering that each resolution to pass costs money and time to implement. If there were an infinite amount of legislative resources available, the Imperial Chiefdom would not be so adamant that USTA be repealed, but resources allocated to USTA are resources that are taken away from enforcing resolutions like the Charter of Civil Rights.

Henrik Søgård

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives