NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Condemn Kalasparata

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:52 pm

Cyrupe wrote:Just because I'm the first to write the condemnation

That's not entirely the case...

As for the misplaced apostrophe in the document, I honestly apologize for that oversight to those who are genuinely bothered by it. I cannot fix it since the proposal is already submitted so it's pointless to cry over that gallon of spilled milk.

If you particularly care about fixing it, you could submit a Getting Help Request asking a game mod to remove the proposal, so that you can re-draft it. You're not in any way obliged to, though.
Last edited by Sedgistan on Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cyrupe
Ambassador

Founded: May 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Cyrupe » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:59 pm

I really need to do my research on past Condemnations, don't I? As for asking a Game Moderator to remove my proposal, I feel it would almost be a waste of time for whomever actually gets my GHR since it is only a single apostrophe and not a massive list of spelling errors.

Thanks for providing the links to the previous attempted condemnations (and one rather amusing commendation) Sedgistan.
Last edited by Cyrupe on Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:04 pm

Kalasparata wrote:I am against this messure. The WA has no right to condemn me. I am NOT in the WA and am allowed to rule my nation the way I chose! If you condemn me, it would be god-moding!

((OOC: 1), you don't need to be in the WA to be condemned and 2), no, it wouldn't be as you have displayed all the necessary requirements, and more, for condemnation.))
I wholeheartedly agree with this condemnation. Finally, the world can rest easier knowing that the Kalasp government are being shown as evil officially.
--Ceann Office of WA Things

@}-;-'---

"But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most..." -Mark Twain

Thurask
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 03, 2009
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Thurask » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:51 pm

The Republic of Thurask supports this resolution.
National Information
Economic Left/Right: ln 0
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: lim (x->0) 1/x
Pro: Some stuff
Anti: Some other stuff

Greater Rhodes
Senator

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Rhodes » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:03 pm

The beginning of the third line would read better as "Horrified by", not "Horrified of".

The Kingdom of Greater Rhodes wholeheartedly supports this condemnation. May it pass swiftly and with little opposition.
--Dr. Leonardo Dallaire, Rhodian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Canadian
Political Compass
Member of: RIMT | CI | WA
Dominions: The Rhodian Antilles
New Factbook & Embassy in the Works--Never Forget

Denecaep
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Denecaep » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:10 pm

Kalasparata wrote:I am against this messure. The WA has no right to condemn me. I am NOT in the WA and am allowed to rule my nation the way I chose! If you condemn me, it would be god-moding!

:rofl: ...

Ah... whew...

Now then, honestly Kalasparata, if I were you, I would take this condemnation with pride! You are famous within the NS world! Because... you really are good at everything you do. Thank you for that. :clap:
Founding Senator Dene Caep of the NSG Senate

Unibot
Senator

Founded: May 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:25 pm

Advice for the Cyrupean WA Office,

• Use bullet-points instead of lettering --> • <--- copy and paste this, it works in resolutions. Remove the extra spacing between every subclause.
  • End every clause in a comma, except the clause "Hereby condemns Kalasparta", which should receive a period.
  • "REALIZING THAT" should be "REALIZING".
  • Link your references to this thread, all the posts that the clauses were based on should be supplied here for forum-goers to read and reference.

NOTING that Kalasparata routinely subjects it's population to needless cruelties for even minor infractions of the law
[..]
Using firearms against it's citizens for crimes such as driving while under the influence [..]
CONCLUDING that Kalasparata is a threat necessary of a condemnation because of it's reckless disregard of human life, unnecessary usage of weapons of mass destruction and hostility towards it's international neighbors proven in the examples provided earlier in the document.

It's its, not It's. ;)

Good luck.

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:45 pm

d. Forcing dogs to dig in a hole that is five to eight kilometers into the Earth for an unknown reason

Is this a R4 violation?

Sedgistan wrote:In addition to my above point, I'd like to add that the use of the words German/Germanic as adjectives is OK, so long as it's explained what they mean in NationStates. Currently your proposal doesn't do that, and thus they're presumed to be Real World references and in violation of Rule 4.

Seems to me you haven't properly explained that Earth is a planet --> "into the Earth". Of course, the legal workaround would be to say that Earth is synonymous for dirt... but would we refer to lunar soil as the Earth? Or Martian soil as the Earth? And we generally don't say "the Earth", we say "earth" (note the lack of capitalization).. when we're referring to soil instead of the planet. I'm not a mod, but I think if you're going to include the Earth into the resolution, you need to properly describe what it means in NationStates, because the act of assuming everyone knows what it is makes it a Real World Reference.

I'm also hesitant to approve of a reference to "the Earth" as a planet, we don't say, "the Neptune".. "the Mars" when referring to other planets. I suppose I'm willing to agree that a planet could be named as "the" something.. I suppose we do also have the Sun. But note that the two celestial objects that are referred to as common nouns instead of proper nouns were the centers to our heliocentric or geocentric models.. which shows the humanocentric base of our language.

My suggestion would be simply this..
d. Forcing dogs to dig in a hole that is five to eight kilometers deep into Planet Earth for an unknown reason,

I figured the dimensions of the hole should also be clarified.
Last edited by Unibot on Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:16 am, edited 4 times in total.

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:51 pm

The Cyrupean WA Office wrote: a. Providing young children with a mandatory education that is considered to be of college level in most countries

Not necessarily, an evil.

John Stuart Mill was given an extremely rigorous upbringing, and was deliberately shielded from association with children his own age other than his siblings. He was educated exclusively by his father, a strict disciplinarian, with the advice of Jeremy Bentham and Francis Place. His father, a follower of Bentham and an adherent of associationism, wanted to create a genius intellect that would carry on the cause of utilitarianism and its implementation after he and Bentham were dead. John Stuart's feats as a child were exceptional; at the age of three he was taught the Greek alphabet and long lists of Greek words with their English equivalents. By the age of eight he had read Aesop's Fables, Xenophon's Anabasis, and the whole of Herodotus, and was acquainted with Lucian, Diogenes Laërtius, Isocrates and six dialogues of Plato (see his Autobiography). He had also read a great deal of history in English and had been taught arithmetic.

A contemporary record of Mill's studies from ages eight to thirteen, published in Bain's sketch of his life, suggests that his autobiography understated the amount of work he did as a child. At the age of eight he began learning Latin, Euclid, and algebra, and was appointed schoolmaster to the younger children of the family. His main reading was still history, but he went through all the Latin and Greek authors commonly read in the schools and universities at the time. He was not taught to compose either in Latin or in Greek, and he was never an exact scholar; he was required to read for the subject matter, and by the age of ten he could read Plato and Demosthenes with ease. His father's History of India was published in 1818; immediately afterwards, at about the age of 12, John began a thorough study of scholastic logic, at the same time reading Aristotle's logical treatises in the original language. In the following year he was introduced to political economy and studied Adam Smith and David Ricardo with his father, ultimately completing their classical economic view of factors of production.
Last edited by Unibot on Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:11 am

I'd also like to point out that GA#9,Prevention of Torture could be used as further justification for the passage of this resolution.

Note that torture as defined in GA#9 is a particular focus of this condemnation,
GA#9 wrote:1. ‘Torture’ is defined as an act of intentionally inflicting pain, severe discomfort or suffering on a person for the purposes of intimidation, coercion, personal punishment or interrogation, or to extract information, confession or concession to demands from them or any other person, where committed with the approval or assistance of a government official or person acting in such capacity.

GA#9 wrote:3. Torture is designated a crime against humanity, and its commission, including assistance in such commission or threats thereof, is to be designated a heinous crime under national and international law.

GA#9 wrote:6. Member nations shall take effective action to prevent acts of torture within their jurisdiction.

We have jurisdiction over the world in regards to stating our opinion -- which we can do via this condemnation.

An example of citing a GA's resolution mandate as a justification would be "Condemn Greater Tezdrian" (first clause). You can be more specific and use quotations and whatnot if you choose to, I was just following the original resolution author's suggestion and wishes.
Last edited by Unibot on Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

St George of England
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby St George of England » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:24 am

"The Imperial English Empire still does not see the point of this Condemnation, as all it does is admit Kalasparata into an exclusive little club. Ambassadors, do you seriously think that passing this will cause Kalasparata to change it's policies? I doubt it. So, again, I am forced to ask why do we waste our time with this? Are there not more important things to do? Since becoming Regional Delegate I have pursued a policy of endorsing every proposal, in the belief that all should reach a vote. In this case, I shall forego that, and instead shall not endorse this proposal."
The Angline-Guanxine Empire
Current Monarch: His Heavenly Guanxine The Ky Morris
Population: As NS Page
Current RP: Closure of the Paulianus Passage
The United Coven of the Otherworlds
Current Leader: Covenwoman Paige Thomas
Population: 312,000,000
Military Size: 4,000,000
New to NS? TG me if you have questions.

ConDemmed
Attaché

Founded: Aug 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby ConDemmed » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:52 am

Cyrupe wrote:Kalasparata, the World Assembly has every right to condemn or commend whomever they feel is worthy of it. Granted, condemning a nation is an extreme measure

Noticing ConDemmed's post after I submitted this message, I really must say that both 'Hippie' nations and 'Extremist' nations are supporting this proposal and I'm assuming that almost every other walk of life will either support this proposal or be against it. To say only the liberals are supporting it isn't necessarily truthful.

So it's a half-truth, no need to cry over spilt milk! :p
Last edited by ConDemmed on Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grandais
Minister

Founded: Jan 06, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Grandais » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:19 am

d. Forcing dogs to dig in a hole that is five to eight kilometers into the Earth for an unknown reason

'S not unknown, the government of Kalasparata stated that it wanted to prove the existence of tectonic plates. By...digging into the planet. I don't know.
DEFCON 5 [4] 3 2 1
Grandais News|Factbook|Embassies

Quantum Pulse
Civil Servant

Founded: Dec 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Quantum Pulse » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:36 am

I shall attempt to support this merely because it's hilarious.

Oterro
Post Marshal

Founded: May 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Oterro » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:53 am

Oterro supports this condemnation.
we, unlike the bourgeoisie, have nothing to lose and therefore our expression will be the only honest one, our words will be the only challenging ones and our art will be the one revolutionary expression. We need new noise and new voices and new canvases to become something more than the last poets of a useless generation.

Cyrupe
Ambassador

Founded: May 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Cyrupe » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:12 am

Oh my! Uni you've given me quite a bit of things to read and consider. If it doesn't reach the quorum I will certainly edit some of the proposal to comply with what you've given me. I had completely forgotten about 'Earth' potentially violating Rule 4. As for references, I am compiling them as this post is being written and should have it up shortly. I appreciate your advice and the fact you are willing to give it to me means quite a bit.

Sailsia
Senator

Founded: Mar 05, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sailsia » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:19 am

The Sailsian WA Office feels that this proposed resolution is acceptable, but also feels that there is still a lot of material that could be added. It is because of this that the SWAO proposes that a revised version of this condemnation be written now, so that assuming the current proposed resolution is rejected, a better version is already finished and ready for the process of legislation.
RIP RON PAUL
Author of the U.S. Constitution
July 4, 1776 - September 11, 2001

The Murtunian Tribes
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Murtunian Tribes » Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:17 pm

They do. As ridiculous as the condemnation is, they can. No worries, though, this will almost undoubtedly be crushed in the election floor.

Kalasparata
Senator

Founded: Jan 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Kalasparata » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:36 pm

The Cyrupean WA Office wrote: a. Using firearms against it's citizens for crimes such as driving while under the influence, performing surgery on aforementioned citizens without the use of anesthetics, putting them in the equivalent of a work camp and then amputating their necessary limbs for not properly doing duties which would be impossible regardless of their fitness.

Well, true

b. Paying motorists to drive over criminals Kalasparata otherwise deems unfit to continue living.

True, but what's wrong with that? You said yourself that they are unfit for living

c. Forcing prisoners to drink urine and consume feces

That thread was atleast 8 months ago, I will change that

d. Sending prisoners into a so-called 'Danger Island' which contains numerous biological and natural hazards and leaving them for upwards of three days

True

e. Stapling the mouths of prisoners shut so that they are effectively silenced, repeated acid and or fire burns, branding prisoners with molten magnesium, often resulting in the loss of aforementioned prisoner's arm or leg.

True

a. Providing young children with a mandatory education that is considered to be of college level in most countries

True

b. Permitting children to join the army at the age of five with parental permission, granting them independence when they turn fourteen

So what, alot of nations FORCE their 6 year olds to enlist beyond the parents will. Atleaset we give them the choice

c. Torturing children for minor infractions caused in school such as fighting. Often such torture in Kalasparata results in the death of the subject in adult cases, much less child cases

Not true, fighting in school is not a criminal offence unless weaponary is used

1.That was a proposal which had not passed
2.If you accually bothered to read it rather than jumped to the conclusion, you would have seen there was a reason
No I did not spell jail wrong, "gaol" is the Australian spelling
cityrailsaints on TrainsPlanesNRL
Capital City:Ipsola
Leader: Stelios Cityrailsaints
Religion: Orthodox Christianity
|| Factbook (Wiki) | Flag Meaning | Photobucket
|| cityraildude on YouTube || Embassy | NewsEconomic Calculators: NSEconomy | SunSet
98% of all Internet users would cry if Facebook broke down. If you are part of that 2% who simply would sit back and laugh, copy and paste this into your sig.
98%of teenagers would run to his aid if they saw Justin Bieber standing on top of a skyscraper about to jump. If you are the 2% moving people out of the way to make sure no one can catch him, copy and paste this into your signature

Fedeledland
Senator

Founded: Mar 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Fedeledland » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:42 pm

In an almost unanimous vote, the United Duchies of Fedeledland agrees to this condemnation, excepting by point a: "Providing young children with a mandatory education that is considered to be of college level in most countries". That might be good.
Last edited by Fedeledland on Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Factbook (FanT·FT)
Embassies
Political Info (OOC)
WARNING: My writing might contain amounts of extreme pomp and purple prose. Read at your own caution.
QUE VIVA EL REY!

Warzone Codger
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 30, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Warzone Codger » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:51 pm

Meh, plenty of good OOC reasons to condemn him.

That there are IC reasons are just as well.
Warwick Z Codger the Warzone Codger.
Warzone Pioneer | Peacezone Philosopher | Scourge of Polls | Forever Terror Officer of TRR
GA #121: Medical Facilities Protection | SC #183: Commend Haiku | Commended by SC #87: Commend Warzone Codger

The Cyrupean WA Office
Lobbyist

Founded: Nov 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Cyrupean WA Office » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:22 pm

Kalasparata wrote:
The Cyrupean WA Office wrote: a. Using firearms against it's citizens for crimes such as driving while under the influence, performing surgery on aforementioned citizens without the use of anesthetics, putting them in the equivalent of a work camp and then amputating their necessary limbs for not properly doing duties which would be impossible regardless of their fitness.

Well, true

b. Paying motorists to drive over criminals Kalasparata otherwise deems unfit to continue living.

True, but what's wrong with that? You said yourself that they are unfit for living

c. Forcing prisoners to drink urine and consume feces

That thread was atleast 8 months ago, I will change that

d. Sending prisoners into a so-called 'Danger Island' which contains numerous biological and natural hazards and leaving them for upwards of three days

True

e. Stapling the mouths of prisoners shut so that they are effectively silenced, repeated acid and or fire burns, branding prisoners with molten magnesium, often resulting in the loss of aforementioned prisoner's arm or leg.

True

a. Providing young children with a mandatory education that is considered to be of college level in most countries

True

b. Permitting children to join the army at the age of five with parental permission, granting them independence when they turn fourteen

So what, alot of nations FORCE their 6 year olds to enlist beyond the parents will. Atleaset we give them the choice

c. Torturing children for minor infractions caused in school such as fighting. Often such torture in Kalasparata results in the death of the subject in adult cases, much less child cases

Not true, fighting in school is not a criminal offence unless weaponary is used

1.That was a proposal which had not passed
2.If you accually bothered to read it rather than jumped to the conclusion, you would have seen there was a reason

Kalasparata as for "b. Paying motorists to drive over criminals Kalasparata otherwise deems unfit to continue living" I myself did not claim they were unfit for living, I was merely saying that is the reason why your nation paid motorists to drive over the criminals. I think the section I bolded backs that up.

"c. Forcing prisoners to drink urine and consume feces" regardless if you change it or not it happened at one time in your nation and shouldn't be forgotten by the World Assembly when they vote on this proposal. Still, it makes me somewhat happy that you're making attempts to change your behavior because of this preposal.

"b. Permitting children to join the army at the age of five with parental permission, granting them independence when they turn fourteen" I honestly cannot say I've seen too many nations that forcefully enlist their children against their will or too many that enlist children on the child's request. I'm not saying they aren't out there, but I am saying that 'a lot' isn't exactly the proper name for the number of nations that practice child conscription on NationStates. Still, it seems to be the general consensus that enlisting young children is a no-no.
Last edited by The Cyrupean WA Office on Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tmutarakhan
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 06, 2007
New York Times Democracy

Postby Tmutarakhan » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:33 pm

Parti Ouvrier wrote:
Weylara wrote:Nitpick: remove the apostrophe in the "it's" in the conclusion.

Exactly, I disapprove of this proposal on those grounds alone. And so what if young children have a compulsory college level education, they might be smarter than the international average, did anyone actually think of that? No.
We have seen numerous displays of the kinds of "language skills" and "scientific expertise" which are taught in Kalasparata. PLEASE! WON'T SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Life is a tragedy to those who feel, a comedy to those who think, and a musical to those who sing.

I am the very model of a Nation States General,
I am a holy terror to apologists Confederal,
When called upon to source a line, I give citations textual,
And argue about Palestine, and marriage homosexual!

A KNIGHT ON KARINZISTAN'S SPECIAL LIST OF POOPHEADS!

Kryozerkia
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Kryozerkia » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:25 am

They have every right to condemn your nation as they see fit; membership is not a requirement for condemnation, liberation or commendation. It is not godmodding. I strong recommended learning what godmodding actually is, as this is not godmodding. If you don't want to be condemned, then don't provide roleplay reasons for the SC to condemn your nation.
Problem to Report?
Game-side: Getting Help
Forum-side: Moderation
Technical issue/suggestion: Technical
A-well-a, don't you know about the bird
♦ Well, everybody knows that the bird is the word ♦
♦ A-well-a, bird, bird, b-bird's the word

Get the cheese to Sickbay

"Ok folks, show's over... Nothing to see here... Show's OH MY GOD! A horrible plane crash! Hey everybody, get a load of this flaming wreckage! Come on, crowd around, crowd around, don't be shy, crowd around!" -- Chief Wiggum

HC Eredivisie
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby HC Eredivisie » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:33 pm

Sedgistan wrote:
Cyrupe wrote:Just because I'm the first to write the condemnation

That's not entirely the case...

That's one condemnation and two commendations, actually.
Hail Richard, Chief Warlock of the Brothers of Darkness, Lord of the Thirteen Hells, Master of the Bones, Emperor of the Black, Lord of the Undead and the mayor of a little village up the coast.
+7656 posts, Joined 16 april 2003

Het Vijfde Nederlandse Topic met 1461 stemmen, 8070 posts en 144.700 views.
25-01-2005 - 08-06-2009

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives