NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Delineation of Borders Act

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
Serrland
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

[PASSED] Delineation of Borders Act

Postby Serrland » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:13 am

This is a rough outline of a proposal I've had in the works for a few days but haven't taken the effort to post. It might be slow going, and I don't have two endorsements anyways, so this might be a long time coming if it's deemed worthy of anything. Per ususal, criticism is welcomed and encouraged.

Delineation of Borders Act
Category: Political Stability
Strength: Mild

AWARE that maintaining territorial integrity is critical to a government's ability to function,

NOTING that established international borders are of crucial importance to determining and maintaining said territorial integrity,

FURTHER NOTING that unclear and undilineated borders are often detrimental to a nations ability to maintain territorial integrity over border regions,

BELIEVING that clearly and precisely demarcating international borders is in the interest of all nations,

HEREBY

CALLS for states to work in cooperation in regards to demarcating and documenting international borders whenever possible,

ENCOURAGES the peaceful resolution of disputed borders whenever possible,

ESTABLISHES the General Assembly Border Demarcation Organization (GABDO), a committee dedicated to examining international borders and documenting them properly, arbitrating border disputes when requested, and maintaining accurate maps of international borders,

LIMITS the arbitration powers of the GABDO to situations in which all parties directly involved agree to request said arbitration,

STRONGLY SUGGESTS that nations involved in border disputes seek arbitration on the matter from the GABDO rather than engage in acts of violence against each other

INVITES non-WA nations to seek GABDO arbitration if all parties agree to respect said arbitration and a proper fee is paid
Last edited by Flibbleites on Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:48 am, edited 5 times in total.

Aglrinia
Minister

Founded: Jul 02, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Aglrinia » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:18 am

Although i'm not in the WA, i'll do my best to get my delegate to support its one of the few that seems necessary now a days.
Jakker wrote:TBH is Pro-bring Life to GP

Rientia
Civilian

Founded: Sep 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Rientia » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:22 am

I have read and would vote for this Act without a doubt. Borders are constantly changing, and without definition of those borders being clear and concise, many nations may be unwilling losing territory to other more advanced nations.

If you have any trouble finding your endorsements or you would like it posted in the WA asap, then send me a telegram. I am currently WA Delegate of my region and would love to see this motion pass.

Holy Roman Confederate
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Roman Confederate » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:53 am

This creates a committee that has no power unless both sides if a disagreement agree to involve the committee. I see no reason for the HRC to support this measure.
http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=78531
http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=79073&p=3753933#p3753933

Embolalia
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Embolalia » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:37 am

There are the basics of something worthwhile here. But there are a few questions that need to be asked:
What should be done if all parties don't agree to participate?
Should there be penalties for not recognizing borders?
What if all of the parties aren't WA members?
I'm sure there are more that I haven't thought of, but start with those.
Do unto others as you would have done unto you.
Bible quote? No, that's just common sense.
/ˌɛmboʊˈlɑːliːʌ/
The United Commonwealth of Embolalia

Gafin Gower, Prime minister
E. Rory Hywel, Ambassador to the World Assembly
Gwaredd LLwyd, Lieutenant Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author: GA#95, GA#107, GA#132, GA#185
Philimbesi wrote:Repeal, resign, or relax.

Embassy Exchange
EBC News
My mostly worthless blog
Economic Left/Right: -5.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51
Liberal atheist bisexual, and proud of it.
@marcmack wrote:I believe we can build a better world! Of course, it'll take a whole lot of rock, water & dirt. Also, not sure where to put it."

Serrland
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Serrland » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:37 pm

There are the basics of something worthwhile here. But there are a few questions that need to be asked:
What should be done if all parties don't agree to participate?

That is indeed problematic and difficult to address. I don't believe it is the place of the WA to act unilaterally to determine the territorial boundaries of sovereign states. That does cause something of a predicament, though, and that is addressed below.

Should there be penalties for not recognizing borders?

Personally, yes, there definitely should be. Legally, can it happen? I didn't think it was legal to impose punitive measures within WA legislation, but if I'm mistaken then I'd be inclined to add something to that effect.

What if all of the parties aren't WA members?

If a non-WA member was in a border dispute with a WA member things would get admittedly muddled. If both the WA and non-WA nations agreed to arbitration by the GABDO they should have access to it, as it effects a WA nation directly.

I'm sure there are more that I haven't thought of, but start with those.

These concerns are the main ones I imagined would be levied when I wrote this, and they're quite frankly difficult ones to approach.
Last edited by Serrland on Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:45 pm

Ms. Harper thinks that it is hard to see how a draft could not affect non-member states. For example, there is a member state whose borders are only with non-member states. Now, where it says:

CALLS for states to work in cooperation in regards to demarcating and documenting international borders whenever possible,

This clause seems to apply to non-members. I'm not saying that it is impossible but it could be clarified.

Darenjo
Minister

Founded: Mar 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Darenjo » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:07 pm

or you could add a clause allowing non-WA members to participate
Dr. Park Si-Jung, Ambassador to the World Assembly for The People's Democracy of Darenjo

Proud Member of Eastern Islands of Dharma!

Manticore Reborn
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 13, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Manticore Reborn » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:02 am

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:Ms. Harper thinks that it is hard to see how a draft could not affect non-member states. For example, there is a member state whose borders are only with non-member states. Now, where it says:

This clause seems to apply to non-members. I'm not saying that it is impossible but it could be clarified.

Although I agree with you assessment, would it be illegal for a WA Committee to keep track of non-member nation's borders? Obviously it would have no legal bearing on them, but it would be useful for organizational reasons.
Respectfully,
Hamish Alexander, Eighteenth Earl of White Haven
Minister of Foreign Affairs to His Majesty King Roger VI
The Kingdom of Manticore Reborn

Our National Anthem
Factbook on NSWiki

Chaosbull
Bureaucrat

Founded: Feb 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Chaosbull » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:08 am

i support
THX to the type 542 chaos kightmares folling nations are under chaos control
Sucrati = area 12 , Femifascism = area 13, Kent-Norman = area 14, Jimanistan = area 15, klude MUSh= area 16

Darenjo
Minister

Founded: Mar 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Darenjo » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:01 pm

Manticore Reborn wrote:
Charlotte Ryberg wrote:Ms. Harper thinks that it is hard to see how a draft could not affect non-member states. For example, there is a member state whose borders are only with non-member states. Now, where it says:

Although I agree with you assessment, would it be illegal for a WA Committee to keep track of non-member nation's borders? Obviously it would have no legal bearing on them, but it would be useful for organizational reasons.

Just allow non-members to voluntarily participate. Though i cannot think of a resolution that has a similar clause, there have been proposals that had such clauses that simply failed to gain quorum.
Dr. Park Si-Jung, Ambassador to the World Assembly for The People's Democracy of Darenjo

Proud Member of Eastern Islands of Dharma!

Serrland
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Serrland » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:38 am

Manticore Reborn wrote:

And it would relate directly to the affairs of the WA. I'll lodge a question about that in Moderation in a little bit to try to get a definitive ruling on the matter.

Serrland
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Serrland » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:43 am

Darenjo wrote:
Manticore Reborn wrote:Although I agree with you assessment, would it be illegal for a WA Committee to keep track of non-member nation's borders? Obviously it would have no legal bearing on them, but it would be useful for organizational reasons.

Just allow non-members to voluntarily participate. Though i cannot think of a resolution that has a similar clause, there have been proposals that had such clauses that simply failed to gain quorum.

This could be interpreted as a resolution inclusive of non-WA states, but this resolution would be a better example - notably operative clause 8. Again, though, I'll seek a ruling from Moderation on the matter just to be sure.
Last edited by Serrland on Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Charlotte Ryberg

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:48 am

Considering a similar clause by GA#103
GA #103 wrote:4. Non-WA nations may apply for access to DOCTUS; a nominal fee may charged by the IDEA for access.

The WA has previously invited non-members access to at least one of its services, it's just that it cannot force a service upon them.

Serrland
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Serrland » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:33 am

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:Considering a similar clause by GA#103
GA #103 wrote:4. Non-WA nations may apply for access to DOCTUS; a nominal fee may charged by the IDEA for access.

The WA has previously invited non-members access to at least one of its services, it's just that it cannot force a service upon them.

Thank you for providing another example. I have filed arequest for clarification and hopefully things will get ironed out properly and we can proceed with debate and discussion. I highly doubt it will be deemed illegal, but I thought it better to confirm than to continue acting on a faulty assumption.

Morscraw
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 29, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Morscraw » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:38 am

Not in the WA but i do support this strongly. I have had many Boarder disputes with my Eastern Neighbors in Europe.

Serrland
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Serrland » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:36 pm

Ard has confirmed the legality of allowing non-WA nations to voluntarily participate in the GABDO. I will edit the original proposal to make that more clear.

Quelesh
Minister

Founded: Jun 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Quelesh » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:43 pm

This is not a bad proposal, but it doesn't really do much. It encourages (but does not require) nations to clearly delineate borders "when possible," and creates a committee. Like I said, it's not actually bad; it's just that it does so little that it doesn't seem to be worth it at this point.
"I hate mankind, for I think myself one of the best of them, and I know how bad I am." - Samuel Johnson

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw
Political Compass | Economic Left/Right: -7.75 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -10.00

Charlotte Ryberg

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:58 pm

INVITES non-WA nations to seek GABDO arbitration if all parties agree to respect said arbitration and a proper fee is paid

Ms. Harper thinks we should be a little bit generous and take the fee out. ;)

If not, try and make it reasonable.

Sierra Lobo
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sierra Lobo » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:31 pm

I am not in support of this proposal. I am not a WA member and have no plans of joining in the future. Currently I have 3 border disputes of various WA members. What this act will do is a legalized land grab from WA members. All non WA member states will be disenfranchised by this proposal.
Last edited by Sierra Lobo on Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Economic Left/Right: -2.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.21

"Then there are the fanatical atheists whose intolerance is the same as that of the religious fanatics, and it springs from the same source . . . They are creatures who can't hear the music of the spheres." - Einstein

“Liberals are very broadminded: they are always willing to give careful consideration to both sides of the same side”

Mediterreania
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mediterreania » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:40 pm

It should be under global disarmament rather than political stability.
Quick and dirty guide to factions in Mediterranea, and puppets to serve as examples:
-Free Assembly - decentralized group of local associations. Main faction.
-Workers' Republic - anarcho-syndicalist commune
-República Morsica (Betico)
-Republic of Lusca
-Catholic State (The Archbishop of Siraucsa)

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:11 pm

Quelesh wrote:This is not a bad proposal, but it doesn't really do much. It encourages (but does not require) nations to clearly delineate borders "when possible," and creates a committee. Like I said, it's not actually bad; it's just that it does so little that it doesn't seem to be worth it at this point.

I agree, I would like to see some power given to the new authority. I see no reason why all border disputes between member-nations should not have to go through the committee.

I support allowing non-members to use the committee, and I agree that they should have to pay a fee. But, members already pay into the General Fund, which would be responsible for covering the administrative costs of the committee.

- Dr. B. Castro

Mediterreania wrote:It should be under global disarmament rather than political stability.

OOC: The proposal has nothing to do with armaments.
Last edited by Glen-Rhodes on Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mediterreania
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mediterreania » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:56 pm

Glen-Rhodes wrote:
Mediterreania wrote:It should be under global disarmament rather than political stability.

OOC: The proposal has nothing to do with armaments.

Oh really?
Serrland wrote:
ENCOURAGES the peaceful resolution of disputed borders whenever possible,

STRONGLY SUGGESTS that nations involved in border disputes seek arbitration on the matter from the GABDO rather than engage in acts of violence against each other
Quick and dirty guide to factions in Mediterranea, and puppets to serve as examples:
-Free Assembly - decentralized group of local associations. Main faction.
-Workers' Republic - anarcho-syndicalist commune
-República Morsica (Betico)
-Republic of Lusca
-Catholic State (The Archbishop of Siraucsa)

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:42 pm

Mediterreania wrote:Oh really?

OOC: Tangential at best. Let me reword: the proposal has nothing to do with disarmament. Please make the case for how this proposal would require nations to decrease their armaments, or even to decrease military spending. 'Global Disarmament' does not mean 'reduction of conflict.'
Last edited by Glen-Rhodes on Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:46 am

Glen-Rhodes wrote:
Mediterreania wrote:Oh really?

OOC: Tangential at best. Let me reword: the proposal has nothing to do with disarmament. Please make the case for how this proposal would require nations to decrease their armaments, or even to decrease military spending. 'Global Disarmament' does not mean 'reduction of conflict.'

If memory serves me properly then there have been one or two past proposals, deemed legal, for which that was the case: Maybe the previous international organisation's resolution on recognising borders?
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives