NATION

PASSWORD

[Passed] Quarantine Regulation

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Herbandua
Political Columnist

Founded: Apr 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Herbandua » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:46 am

Not gonna support at all! :rofl:

lol

Euanos
Political Columnist

Founded: Aug 24, 2016
Ex-Nation

A different idea

Postby Euanos » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:26 am

Why don't we take these countries under our wings as colonies or vassals so that our economic growth is their economic growth too? Everyone's living standards go up.

Umeria
Senator

Founded: Mar 05, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Umeria » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:54 am

OOC: Links and titles updated. I'm sorry they were late but I was really tired...
Ambassador Anthony Lockwood, at your service.
Author of GAR #389

"Umeria - We start with U"

Otrua
Political Columnist

Founded: Apr 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Otrua » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:34 am

Umeria wrote:...
2) Defines, for the purposes of this resolution:
  1. ...
  2. a "treatment" as any action done to an infected person with the purpose of:
    1. curing the infected person;
    2. rendering the infected person non-contagious;
    3. ensuring the infected person does not undergo any unnecessary harm; and/or
    4. ensuring the infected person is not deprived of any necessities a non-infected person would normally receive;

If killing a person renders them non-contagious, is it OK to kill them? Or torturing?

There should be a line item that would enforce that:
  1. if people can't be cured, they should be at least made comfortable (for example, pain killers)
  2. they are living in good conditions
  3. they have internet access, so they can video-chat with their uninfected friends/family
  4. they have access to things like education, exercise, entertainment (books, movies, etc) - especially if they are in quarantine for a long time

Umeria
Senator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Umeria » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:49 am

Otrua wrote:If killing a person renders them non-contagious, is it OK to kill them? Or torturing?

No, because 4(c) says you need to provide every treatment to them. If one treatment is to kill them, then another is to stop that treatment(due to the "prevent unnecessary harm" clause). So, murder and other violent treatments are cancelled out by the prevention treatments.
Otrua wrote:if people can't be cured, they should be at least made comfortable (for example, pain killers)

Does that need to be enforced? Reasonable nations would give them the painkillers anyway to get them to stop screaming.
Otrua wrote:they are living in good conditions

How would you define a "good condition"?
Otrua wrote:they have internet access, so they can video-chat with their uninfected friends/family

There are many past-tech nations in which internet does not exist.
Otrua wrote:they have access to things like education, exercise, entertainment (books, movies, etc) - especially if they are in quarantine for a long time

I think that falls under "any necessities a non-infected person would normally receive".
Author of GAR #389

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:56 am

Otrua wrote:
  1. ...
    4. ensuring the infected person is not deprived of any necessities a non-infected person would normally receive;

If killing a person renders them non-contagious, is it OK to kill them? Or torturing?

"I suppose that depends on policy. There are certainly several resolutions that prevent the state from using violence in particular circumstances, but none that prevent medical culling to my knowledge. Its possible that would count as euthanasia, and therefore require the target's permission. Torturing them would unquestionably be out of the question: extant resolutions forbid such action."

1. if people can't be cured, they should be at least made comfortable (for example, pain killers)

"Not to nitpick, these two are perfectly fair, but define "good" conditions?"
  • they have internet access, so they can video-chat with their uninfected friends/family

• "Alternatively, allow them correspondence, as not every nation has the internet or even allows internet connectivity to civilians."

• they have access to things like education, exercise, entertainment (books, movies, etc) - especially if they are in quarantine for a long time

• "Now, here is an interesting question for the author: has extant legislation on the rights of the incarcerated included those detained in quarantine, or merely those in a penal institution? At what point can a quarantine be considered incarceration in practice, if not definition? What might be valuable is dedicating a section, or even an entire resolution, to the rights of those quarantined, much like the right of convicted criminals, and ensuring that states can fairly deal with individual rights while taking emergency steps."

OOC: This is, of course, tricky. IIRC, the CDC has terrifyingly broad powers that override a number of legal and human rights in particularly dire circumstances. The US, being a relatively reasoned entity, doesn't abuse them, but NS has the unreasonable aplenty. As I suggested before (and have no idea how the idea was received), establishing a WA oversight committee designed to function specifically as a medical ethics review board on the topic of broad, emergency quarantines. You've already tasked your committee to aid in the logistical issues, expanding it to deal with the ethical issues is a reasonable next step. And, if this isn't an option for this proposal, perhaps you ought to write another proposal dealing with those issues first, the better to smooth the way for this one.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
    Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Morteuphoria
    Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 29, 2016
    Ex-Nation

Postby Morteuphoria » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:11 am

Otrua wrote:
    1. ...

3. they have internet access, so they can video-chat with their uninfected friends/family
    4. they have access to things like education, exercise, entertainment (books, movies, etc) - especially if they are in quarantine for a long time

I am against Internet access, as my nation is mostly not permitted access to almost any part of the Internet other than a few shoddy government-run sites. And any other forms of entertainment would have to be government-approved first as well, of course.

Kryozerkia
    Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
    Ex-Nation

Postby Kryozerkia » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:35 am

1. ...

If I was to change one word, I'd change "any" to "appropriate".
    Problem to Report?
    Game-side: Getting Help
    Forum-side: Moderation
    Technical issue/suggestion: Technical
    A-well-a, don't you know about the bird
    ♦ Well, everybody knows that the bird is the word ♦
    ♦ A-well-a, bird, bird, b-bird's the word

Get the cheese to Sickbay

"Ok folks, show's over... Nothing to see here... Show's OH MY GOD! A horrible plane crash! Hey everybody, get a load of this flaming wreckage! Come on, crowd around, crowd around, don't be shy, crowd around!" -- Chief Wiggum

Premedite
    Political Columnist

Founded: Nov 21, 2013
    Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Premedite » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:40 am

Kaboomlandia wrote:3(d) of GA #53 basically covers this subject already.

agreed
    Baron of Deals.
    Charter of Chaos.
    Unyielding Hatred.
    You're probably in the wrong place.

-- AZAZEL, THE YELLOW EYED

Umeria
    Senator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Umeria » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:46 am

Premedite wrote:
    Kaboomlandia wrote:3(d) of GA #53 basically covers this subject already.

agreed

That resolution covers the incipient stages of an outbreak, this one comes into effect when the outbreak gets serious. Also:
    Wrapper wrote:Official ruling: ... There is no overlap, no duplication, and no contradiction of GAR#53 in this proposal as currently written.
    Author of GAR #389

Kryozerkia
    Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kryozerkia » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:19 am

Umeria wrote:
    Premedite wrote:agreed

That resolution covers the incipient stages of an outbreak, this one comes into effect when the outbreak gets serious. Also:
    Wrapper wrote:Official ruling: ... There is no overlap, no duplication, and no contradiction of GAR#53 in this proposal as currently written.

That ruling was for a previous draft. You have made changes since then. It is not unreasonable to expect a new legality challenge.
    Problem to Report?

"Ok folks, show's over... Nothing to see here... Show's OH MY GOD! A horrible plane crash! Hey everybody, get a load of this flaming wreckage! Come on, crowd around, crowd around, don't be shy, crowd around!" -- Chief Wiggum

Umeria
    Senator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Umeria » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:10 pm

Kryozerkia wrote:
    Umeria wrote:That resolution covers the incipient stages of an outbreak, this one comes into effect when the outbreak gets serious. Also:

That ruling was for a previous draft. You have made changes since then. It is not unreasonable to expect a new legality challenge.

My proposal still only comes into effect when the outbreak becomes serious. I did remove the 50% infection rate thing from the definitions clause, but it still says the epidemic has to "significantly decrease the nation's well being and/or functioning". At that point, the epidemic is no longer in the incipient stages.
    Author of GAR #389

Kryozerkia
    Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kryozerkia » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:13 pm

Umeria wrote:
    Kryozerkia wrote:That ruling was for a previous draft. You have made changes since then. It is not unreasonable to expect a new legality challenge.

My proposal still only comes into effect when the outbreak becomes serious. I did remove the 50% infection rate thing from the definitions clause, but it still says the epidemic has to "significantly decrease the nation's well being and/or functioning". At that point, the epidemic is no longer in the incipient stages.

It is your proposal, but I could reasonably foresee someone using that as a launching pad for a repeal.
    Problem to Report?

Umeria
    Senator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Umeria » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:19 pm

Kryozerkia wrote:
    Umeria wrote:My proposal still only comes into effect when the outbreak becomes serious. I did remove the 50% infection rate thing from the definitions clause, but it still says the epidemic has to "significantly decrease the nation's well being and/or functioning". At that point, the epidemic is no longer in the incipient stages.

It is your proposal, but I could reasonably foresee someone using that as a launching pad for a repeal.

Well, they can't say it duplicates GAR#53, because if it did it would have been removed. GAR#53 already covers the incipient stages of an epidemic, so they can't say that the quarantines are created too late. I do not see the repeal hook.
    Author of GAR #389

Kryozerkia
    Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kryozerkia » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:22 pm

Umeria wrote:
    Kryozerkia wrote:It is your proposal, but I could reasonably foresee someone using that as a launching pad for a repeal.

Well, they can't say it duplicates GAR#53, because if it did it would have been removed. GAR#53 already covers the incipient stages of an epidemic, so they can't say that the quarantines are created too late. I do not see the repeal hook.

Don't underestimate the determination of some delegates and ambassadors when it comes to nitpicking language.
    Problem to Report?

Umeria
    Senator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Umeria » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:31 pm

Kryozerkia wrote:
    Umeria wrote:Well, they can't say it duplicates GAR#53, because if it did it would have been removed. GAR#53 already covers the incipient stages of an epidemic, so they can't say that the quarantines are created too late. I do not see the repeal hook.

Don't underestimate the determination of some delegates and ambassadors when it comes to nitpicking language.

If someone does start a repeal effort, then I will be ready with counterarguments.
    Author of GAR #389

Araraukar
    Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
    Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:40 pm

Umeria wrote:
    Kryozerkia wrote:Don't underestimate the determination of some delegates and ambassadors when it comes to nitpicking language.

If someone does start a repeal effort, then I will be ready with counterarguments.

OOC: Unfortunately I agree with Kryo here - and heck, I've been saying all along that this proposal is unnecessary, as what existing legislation doesn't cover, reasonable nations would be doing on their own anyway. I'd suggest doing a legality ruling request ASAP, since you're likely to hit quorum this time around. GHR is probably the best.
    - ambassador miss Janis Leveret
    Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
    Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
    Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Umeria
    Senator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Umeria » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:48 pm

Araraukar wrote:
    Umeria wrote:If someone does start a repeal effort, then I will be ready with counterarguments.

OOC: Unfortunately I agree with Kryo here - and heck, I've been saying all along that this proposal is unnecessary, as what existing legislation doesn't cover, reasonable nations would be doing on their own anyway. I'd suggest doing a legality ruling request ASAP, since you're likely to hit quorum this time around. GHR is probably the best.

OOC: The last time I submitted a GHR for a legality request, the response was "We recommend you seek assistance from the regulars in the GA Forum because not all Game Moderators are familiar with the inner workings of the General Assembly and its subtle nuances." Is that going to happen again?
    Author of GAR #389

Kryozerkia
    Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kryozerkia » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:53 pm

Umeria wrote:
    Araraukar wrote:OOC: Unfortunately I agree with Kryo here - and heck, I've been saying all along that this proposal is unnecessary, as what existing legislation doesn't cover, reasonable nations would be doing on their own anyway. I'd suggest doing a legality ruling request ASAP, since you're likely to hit quorum this time around. GHR is probably the best.

OOC: The last time I submitted a GHR for a legality request, the response was "We recommend you seek assistance from the regulars in the GA Forum because not all Game Moderators are familiar with the inner workings of the General Assembly and its subtle nuances." Is that going to happen again?

You're nearing the end of the road. Your proposal has evolved and gone through a few drafts since that original request. Your original request was for the entire proposal. You've clearly worked with the others here to improve it. If/when you submit your legality check request, you should consider including specific questions.
    Problem to Report?

Bananaistan
    Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
    Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:38 pm

OOC: These objections based on section 3d of GAR#53 are a nonsense. Referring to "a local outbreak while it is still in the incipient stages", GAR#53 merely "strongly urges ... quarantining infected individuals". This proposal looks at a stage of an outbreak far beyond this when an epidemic of a disease threatens "the nation's functioning and/or well-being" and then imposes a requirement that the infected individuals be quarantined.
    Last edited by Bananaistan on Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
    Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
    General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
    There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
    Ideological Bulwark #281
    THIS

States of Glory WA Office
    Minister

Founded: Jul 26, 2016
    Ex-Nation

Postby States of Glory WA Office » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:21 pm

OOC: If there were genuine legality concerns about this draft, why weren't they brought up before submission? The author has already worked their socks off drafting this proposal, so I don't see why they should have to go through the trouble of doing it all again.
    Ambassador: Neville Lynn Robert
    Assistant: Harold "The Clown" Johnson
    #MakeLegislationFunnyAgain

Araraukar
    Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
    Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:38 pm

States of Glory WA Office wrote:OOC: If there were genuine legality concerns about this draft, why weren't they brought up before submission?

OOC: They were. And more than once the reference to the old ruling was made as a justification for it being legal and needed. We all might've taken that to be still applicable, though I can't remember there having been contradictions/major duplication (minor duplication has been repeatedly deemed okay) that I could see between the previous legislation and the draft that got submitted. In case you haven't noticed, I've tried to find faults in the proposal all along. :P

I may have missed something, of course - I don't claim to be infallible.

EDIT: You've reached queue. :clap: Now hope that you'll keep it until next game update!
    Last edited by Araraukar on Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    - ambassador miss Janis Leveret
    Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
    Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
    Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Topid
    Minister

Founded: Dec 29, 2008
    Capitalizt

Postby Topid » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:15 pm

OOC: You should have waited 7 weeks or so in order for this to go to vote before the Zombie outbreak.
    AKA Weed

The Chittering Darkness
    Political Columnist

Founded: Apr 03, 2016
    Ex-Nation

Postby The Chittering Darkness » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:56 pm

The Chittering Darkness will NOT endorse outside regulations which restrict moment of its own citizens. If we have an epidemic, we can take care of it on our own darn terms.
    Last edited by The Chittering Darkness on Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

The Sky Pineapple
    Civil Servant

Founded: Aug 01, 2016
    Ex-Nation

Postby The Sky Pineapple » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:47 pm

"1) Tasks the Epidemic and Pandemic Alert and Response Center to define as a "serious disease" any disease which is harmful and contagious enough to create the need of a quarantine in the case of an outbreak of the disease;"
    So a disease is specified by this law if it needs to be quarantined, and a disease needs to be quarantined if it is specified by this law? The Sky Pineapple came here to vote on laws, not textbook examples of circular reasoning. Our delegation is frankly insulted by how vague and poorly written this doctrine is, and has therefore decided to vote against it.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives