NATION

PASSWORD

[DEFEATED] Protection of Partially Born

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Persepo
Civil Servant

Founded: Jul 16, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Persepo » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:11 pm

Azurius wrote:jesus political correctness or incorrectness.... these entire terms are strawmans to begin with and for people with no arguments. Whoever Persepo is, by using this dumb correctness strawman I could now easily counterclaim that:

Persepo here exposes him foot licking to political incorrectness.

And don´t get me started on the grave contradictions that political incorrect people display. From all I saw they do so actually far more often and frequently then so called political correct people. As said this entire term has been invented by the far right as a strawman since they lack arguments.

Leader, if you have an argument as to why nations should not be concerned with the inconsistencies the General Assembly has displayed, and can refrain from using the "strawman" strawman, I, and all concerned nations, would be all ears.

Mattopilos
Senator

Founded: Apr 22, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Mattopilos » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:19 pm

This has to be one of the most vague things I have had to vote on. There is not clear-cut way of defining "partially born", and the very idea that a baby is anything more than a parasite BY ITS VERY DEFINITION is absurd. If it had said the last, say, 6-8 weeks, I might agree. However, it does not define any of this, nor does it take into account that birth can cause death to the person birthing the child and the only way to prevent this is an abortion.

I disagree with this at a personal level, and find the "moral" approach to it overly subjective and nonsensical. The fact remains it is the person's choice to have the abortion, and the baby is not yet "a fully functioning human".
"From each according to their ability, to each according to their needs"
Dialectic egoist/Communist Egoist, Post-left anarchist, moral nihilist, Intersectional Anarcha-feminist.
my political compass:Economic Left/Right: -8.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.23

Pros:Anarchy, Communism (not that of Stalin or Mao), abortion rights, LGBTI rights, secularism i.e. SOCAS, Agnostic atheism, free speech (within reason), science, most dark humor, dialectic egoism, anarcha-feminism.
Cons: Capitalism, Free market, Gnostic atheism and theism, the far right, intolerance of any kind, dictatorships, pseudoscience and snake-oil peddling, imperialism and overuse of military, liberalism, radical and liberal feminism

Peoples Republic of the Basque People
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 03, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Peoples Republic of the Basque People » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:44 pm

Could not convince myself that this would be effective. It is so vague. I'm fairly anti-abortion, but I can't come to terms with this one.
Yarniawill reign forever!!!

Othelos
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Othelos » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:31 pm

This proposal is redundant because it is already only performed when medically necessary.

No decent human being would ever needlessly destroy a baby coming out of the womb.
Last edited by Othelos on Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Malisin
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Malisin » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:43 pm

Today I learned moonbats overwhelmingly support 4th trimester abortions. Bravo!

Malisin
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Malisin » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:45 pm

Mattopilos wrote:This has to be one of the most vague things I have had to vote on. There is not clear-cut way of defining "partially born", and the very idea that a baby is anything more than a parasite BY ITS VERY DEFINITION is absurd. If it had said the last, say, 6-8 weeks, I might agree. However, it does not define any of this, nor does it take into account that birth can cause death to the person birthing the child and the only way to prevent this is an abortion.

I disagree with this at a personal level, and find the "moral" approach to it overly subjective and nonsensical. The fact remains it is the person's choice to have the abortion, and the baby is not yet "a fully functioning human".

This is a child literally exiting the womb during birth. This doesn't impede with the right to an abortion, it only protects babies from being murdered immediately after they leave the birth canal.

That being said, this seems entirely unnecessary since any nation that respects the WA and the human rights it mandates would never have allowed this in the first place, as Othello said.
Last edited by Malisin on Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Second Moon Rising
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Second Moon Rising » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:47 pm

Ovybia wrote:The proposal only applies during birth, which is around 9 months, the exact week of birth changes depending on the baby.
But it does not. The Second Moon Rising would point out that the proposal only defines birth as the second and third stages of labor. It says at no point that the labor is restricted to/near the ninth month. Therefore, induced labor for the purpose of performing an IDX at twenty weeks would, by the wording of the proposal, be included.

Ovybia wrote:OOC: The IDX procedure, which is the common procedure of child destruction, is a very painful and gory procedure that I don't think even animals should be subject to. It involves puncturing the head and sucking out the brain with a vacuum. I think you would agree that child destruction is not the right procedure for euthanizing the infant/fetus. At any time before birth, if there are any fetal health problems or any other problems for that matter, the mother is totally free to have an abortion.

OOC: ... Actually, after making some inquiries today, it seems that in a PROPERLY performed IDX procedure, the fetus is euthanized prior to mechanical cervical dilation/labor is chemically induced. Yes, then the fetus is partially breech-birthed after this, the head is then punctured, and then the brain is removed via surgical vacuum. This collapses the skull, allowing for easier delivery of a mostly intact, dead fetus. IDX is cited as being less invasive/physically traumatizing to the woman, and because less instruments are inserted into her body it carries a significantly lower risk of infection. It also allows for more comprehensive medical examination of the remains, and allows the mother/involved family greater chance at closure as there are intact, recognizable remains that can be used for funeral services.

CONTRAST this to a D&E procedure, where after the fetus is euthanized, it is dismembered while still inside the mother's womb and then surgically vacuumed out.The increased instruments inserted and the risk of bone fragments scratching the womb's interior increase the risk of infection. Closure is potentially harder for the family (who would want to look at a jar of dismembered fetus parts, or think about that being in a closed casket? Would that even be considered remains that could be used for funeral services or be considered medical waste?), and medical examination is complicated by the state of the remains.

Now, if you had drafted a proposal that imposed mandatory criminalization (is that a word? It should be a word...) of those who perform abortions in unsafe and inhumane ways (which in the Real World is known as "backyard/backalley abortions" and is considered illegal), those who attack/assault pregnant women in a manner that result in the death of a fetus, and/or women who perpetuate acts upon themselves outside of approved/legal abortion methods that are properly overseen by a professional licensed in such matters for the purpose to kill their unborn, I'd likely give you support if it were properly worded. I'd consider all those acts of child destruction, and it seems that there is Real World precedent where all three were legally considered as much despite the fact that the fetus involved were killed prior to the mother going into labor.

Unfortunately, what is current up for proposal reads more as an attempt to discreetly reclassify a method of abortion because it involves labor. The wording of the proposal makes no difference regarding labor that is induced at (hypothetically) twenty weeks for the purpose of an IDX procedure (of which almost all of your argument for this proposal has centered around) or occurring at around forty weeks when natural birth of a healthy infant could occur. It simply defines birth as the second and third stages of labor.

[[Edited for wrong word.]]
Last edited by The Second Moon Rising on Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Riser delegate stands at just over six and a half feet tall and bears a vaguely humanoid shape. All other features are obscured by layers upon layers of elaborate robes and veils in varying patterns and weaves of silver, the hands are covered with meticulously wrapped strips of cloth so that only the tips of short nails are exposed, and even the voice is ambiguous. The plate on the Riser delegate's desk bears the Romanization "M'yullouand'inthouahuynn y yht Shoa Vouaniya A'alayoulin Luath'louad". Stuck to that, there is a large blue Post-it note with elegant handwriting that reads "Do not bother to try and pronounce this one's title. This one is simply the Riser delegate.".

Mattopilos
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Mattopilos » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:49 pm

Malisin wrote:
Mattopilos wrote:This has to be one of the most vague things I have had to vote on. There is not clear-cut way of defining "partially born", and the very idea that a baby is anything more than a parasite BY ITS VERY DEFINITION is absurd. If it had said the last, say, 6-8 weeks, I might agree. However, it does not define any of this, nor does it take into account that birth can cause death to the person birthing the child and the only way to prevent this is an abortion.

This is a child literally exiting the womb during birth. This doesn't impede with the right to an abortion, it only protects babies from being murdered immediately after they leave the birth canal.

... Then this whole declaration is stupid, then. Abortion occurs WAY more often than what this person is arguing against. Never have I heard of any such event occurring.
Dialectic egoist/Communist Egoist, Post-left anarchist, moral nihilist, Intersectional Anarcha-feminist.

Pros:Anarchy, Communism (not that of Stalin or Mao), abortion rights, LGBTI rights, secularism i.e. SOCAS, Agnostic atheism, free speech (within reason), science, most dark humor, dialectic egoism, anarcha-feminism.
Cons: Capitalism, Free market, Gnostic atheism and theism, the far right, intolerance of any kind, dictatorships, pseudoscience and snake-oil peddling, imperialism and overuse of military, liberalism, radical and liberal feminism

Vitami
Bureaucrat

Founded: Sep 07, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Vitami » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:59 pm

Othelos wrote: No decent human being would ever needlessly destroy a baby coming out of the womb.

Technically some nations would do so, in the name of what ever religous practice they follow

Example would be my secondary nation Galicland

Evan Ryan
Civilian

Founded: Jul 19, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Evan Ryan » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:12 pm

Although it is not considered a homicide in most countries it is still morally wrong. Wrong enough so it should be a tort.

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:16 pm

"Well, this was a spectacular failure." Schultz says. "You should have named it Partial Birth Termination Ban."

"Might I suggest renaming the proposal 'Ban on Necrophilia'? It has a nice ring to it." Blackbourne states.
Current Ambassador: Adelia Meritt
Ex-Ambassador: Cornelia Schultz, author of GA#355 and GA#368.
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Digital Network Defence is pretty meh
Tier 9 nation, according to my index.Made of nomadic fleets.

News: AI wins Dawn Fleet election for High Counselor.

Pyrovikings
Civilian

Founded: Jul 16, 2016
Ex-Nation

Banning necrobaby

Postby Pyrovikings » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:40 pm

Excidium Planetis wrote:"Well, this was a spectacular failure." Schultz says. "You should have named it Partial Birth Termination Ban."

"Might I suggest renaming the proposal 'Ban on Necrophilia'? It has a nice ring to it." Blackbourne states.

Are you saying that we haven't already banned necrophilia?
Why hasn't this been proposed already!?

Keam
Lobbyist

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Keam » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:55 pm

This vote was a disaster for the sponsors! Wow.

Mal-Dalak
Lobbyist

Founded: Dec 28, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Mal-Dalak » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:27 pm

OOC: Oh god, don't bring abortion discussions into NS...please....we don't need that sh*t.

"The nation of Mal-Dalak votes no."
This nation represents the opposite of all of my beliefs.

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:28 pm

Mattopilos wrote:
Malisin wrote:

... Then this whole declaration is stupid, then. Abortion occurs WAY more often than what this person is arguing against. Never have I heard of any such event occurring.

While I firmly oppose abortion in all forms, the writers do seem to be misinformed on what a partial birth abortion actually constitutes.

Lowell Leber
Minister

Founded: Jan 27, 2010
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Lowell Leber » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:33 pm

A "parasite"? Wow! You must be a firm believer in the human race. Complete self absorption on full display...
IC The Leberite Empire

New Nicksyllvania - Unjustly Deleted 4/2/11

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:35 pm

Parasitism invovles invasive species. Offspring doesn't constitute a parasite.

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:00 pm

Mal-Dalak wrote:OOC: Oh god, don't bring abortion discussions into NS...please....we don't need that sh*t.

OOC: That has nothing to do with this resolution.

Lowell Leber wrote:

A "parasite"? Wow! You must be a firm believer in the human race. Complete self absorption on full display...

That has nothing to do with this resolution.

Tarsonis Survivors wrote:

Damn, you might as well have named it Ban on Necrophilia. The conversation would have been equally off topic.
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."

Cumberlanda
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Cumberlanda » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:06 pm

Mattopilos wrote:I disagree with this at a personal level, and find the "moral" approach to it overly subjective and nonsensical. The fact remains it is the person's choice to have the abortion, and the baby is not yet "a fully functioning human".

Can I ask, just curious, when does one become a fully-functioning human?
Bundes'ka o Cumberlanda
"What are we gonna do on the bed, Max Barry?"
The Sentinel:Honestly I am looking for a better signature format because this one is hot garbage
Please look at these if you wish to comment on my nation. NS Stats are not the best.

Yodle
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 11, 2016
Democratic Socialists

Postby Yodle » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:07 pm

Definition of parasitism: "Parasitism is a relationship between two different organisms where the parasite harms the host. When worms live in a dog and take nutrients from the dog, this is an example of parasitism." A baby is akin to a worm living in the guts of a dog. It sucks nutrients from the host and gives nothing in return, as the child is quite literally living off the mother. That's biology 101, a literal parasite on the mother's body. Just because you associate parasitism with tape worms or other insidious organisms does not change the fact that a child in the womb is a literal parasite, whether the mother wants to give it nutrients or not.
SC #201
GAR #380
SC #218
Left Social Libertarian
Economic Left/Right: -5.68 (Mid 2016) to -6.30 (Jan. 2017) to -7.33 (May 2017) to -6.84 (August 2017)
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.69 (Mid 2016) to -4.32 (Jan. 2017) to -4.48 (May 2017) to -4.93 (August 2017)
Foreign Policy Stance: -4.99 (Mid 2016) to -6.13 (Jan. 2017) to -5.18 (May 2017) to -5.38 (August 2017) (Non-Interventionist)
Culture War Stance: -8.18 (Mid 2016) to -7.65 (Jan. 2017) to -6.95 (May 2017) to -8.22 (August 2017) (Cultural Liberal)
I am a millennial from New England, a supporter of Bernie Sanders, a self-described liberal and Democratic Socialist and currently a student attending college (with a major in Political Science).

Azurius
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 18, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Azurius » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:08 pm

Persepo wrote:
Azurius wrote:jesus political correctness or incorrectness.... these entire terms are strawmans to begin with and for people with no arguments. Whoever Persepo is, by using this dumb correctness strawman I could now easily counterclaim that:

Persepo here exposes him foot licking to political incorrectness.

And don´t get me started on the grave contradictions that political incorrect people display. From all I saw they do so actually far more often and frequently then so called political correct people. As said this entire term has been invented by the far right as a strawman since they lack arguments.

Leader, if you have an argument as to why nations should not be concerned with the inconsistencies the General Assembly has displayed, and can refrain from using the "strawman" strawman, I, and all concerned nations, would be all ears.

Never said that and I agree here, nice strawman. Still doesn´t make anything I said wrong or negates it.

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:08 pm

Excidium Planetis wrote:
Mal-Dalak wrote:OOC: Oh god, don't bring abortion discussions into NS...please....we don't need that sh*t.

OOC: That has nothing to do with this resolution.

Lowell Leber wrote:A "parasite"? Wow! You must be a firm believer in the human race. Complete self absorption on full display...

Damn, you might as well have named it Ban on Necrophilia. The conversation would have been equally off topic.

The fuck it doesn't. If a delegate is going to offer parasitism as a reason why they don't support this bill, it's a topic up for discussion, that we may correct said delegates ignorance and they may be properly equipped to decide on the matter

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:18 pm

Excidium Planetis wrote:OOC: That has nothing to do with this resolution.

The fuck it doesn't. If a delegate is going to offer parasitism as a reason why they don't support this bill, it's a topic up for discussion, that we may correct said delegates ignorance and they may be properly equipped to decide on the matter

The person you were replying to had not commented on the resolution at vote at all in their post. That person was directing their comment pretty much entirely at someone themselves, and not at anything they said about the resolution. And then that person was making an argument against the resolution that had nothing to do with the resolution, really.

So we have someone announcing they are voting against for a reason that has little to do with the resolution, someone mocking that person, and then you replying to the person mocking the person voting against the resolution. Nothing to do with the resolution.

Mattopilos
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Mattopilos » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:24 pm

Lowell Leber wrote:

Learn the definition of parasite and come back to me.

Mattopilos
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Mattopilos » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:25 pm

Cumberlanda wrote:
Mattopilos wrote:I disagree with this at a personal level, and find the "moral" approach to it overly subjective and nonsensical. The fact remains it is the person's choice to have the abortion, and the baby is not yet "a fully functioning human".

Can I ask, just curious, when does one become a fully-functioning human?

When the vital organs have developed enough that they can function on their own - that is far into the development of the baby.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives