NATION

PASSWORD

[DEFEATED] Repeal SC#11 "Liberate Democratia"

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Affiliated South Califan Sprawls
Attaché

Founded: Feb 05, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Affiliated South Califan Sprawls » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:36 am

For what it's worth, CWAD supports this repeal and it is our considered opinion that the most opposition to this vote that can be justified under opposition to Liberations is a noisy abstention.
Drewlantis wrote:he/she (sorry, the gender stuff is killing me when you're not sure)
Don't have a heart attack, just say 'they'. It's been the standard tool for that exact purpose for centuries in English. It also avoids needlessly invoking the slur "he/she". There's no reason to run away from 'they' as a third person neutral pronoun.
Naginii wrote:That's what is meant by, "serious." Because the result from using this tool changes the in-game realities, it shouldn't be used lightly or carelessly for every raided or founderless region that has a password locking it down.
I find myself in agreement, but the status quo is that it has been used too carelessly, and this is a chance to undo that. Is it really better to leave more badges around if you're against careless Liberations? I think the Liberation-loving WASC set will barely notice it once they've (quickly) recovered from the senselessness of losing this vote for the reasons that have been put forth so far. Just another pockmark on the WA. I can't believe the badge on Democratia being left there for no reason will really help discourage future Liberations. It just doesn't add up.
Last edited by Affiliated South Califan Sprawls on Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Domestic update: Soccer (FLSC A1-2)
Thanks The Freestates for flag.
WA: Califan WA Detachment
she/they
Libertarian Communist (-8.5, -6.97)
Sondstead wrote:And of course, it is in fact a law of physics that immigrants neither pay taxes nor contribute to the economy in any way. This is referred to in technical terms as the Klux Property.

Naginii
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 21, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Naginii » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:14 pm

Don't disagree with that point, so long as the lesson is eventually learned ;)

Drewlantis
Attaché

Founded: Nov 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Drewlantis » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:52 pm

"I suppose it fails to be a lesson if there is absolutely no way to repeal a Liberation. Instead it becomes a punishment. Do we really want to punish any regions by refusing to get rid of a Liberation despite it's uselessness and hindering of that region's progression? Liberations are sought in desperation by regional representatives that have no where else to turn because they have been invaded and lost control of their region. Punishing them by not allowing them to move on but having the constant humiliation of being stuck in perpetual limbo of partial control. A better lesson would be to not pass Liberations but sparingly."
With Regards,
Fromm Burgenheimer.
Minister of the Department of Diplomacy, Ambassador to the WA, Advisor Second Class to Emperor Imperator Andrew Lake the First.
Personality Type: ENTP, that means watch out ladies and gentlemen, either I'm going to take over the world, or rig a toaster to fly, I don't know yet..
Additional random psychology information: No, I'm not insane, and I have no mental illnesses. I am highly intelligent with some narcissistic tendencies who can be very charming when I want to be, which is sometimes described as psychopathy, but I highly doubt it.. Sometimes.. ;)

Pollaetorian
Envoy

Founded: Oct 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Pollaetorian » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:41 pm

Democratia in its last incarnation was a Peacezone. What would Peacezone Theory do?

Under Peacezone Theory, no regions should be passworded. Passwording shouldn't even exist as a game feature. Under Peacezone Theory, delegates and founders shouldn't even exist but since they do, they should do nothing.

Democratia asked to keep its Liberation after its first refounding because it was symbolic 'double commitment' to Peacezone Theory even though it was practically redundant. Symbolically, keeping the liberation there honours the intentions of the residents of the previous Democratia.
Helping you make the right decisions | The Pollaetorian Guard: Arbiters of Democracy | Liberating the proles from the polls
<Mall> Codger is only an enemy to those who dislike polls.

Redsward
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 24, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Redsward » Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:26 pm

Drewlantis wrote:"I suppose it fails to be a lesson if there is absolutely no way to repeal a Liberation. Instead it becomes a punishment. Do we really want to punish any regions by refusing to get rid of a Liberation despite it's uselessness and hindering of that region's progression? Liberations are sought in desperation by regional representatives that have no where else to turn because they have been invaded and lost control of their region. Punishing them by not allowing them to move on but having the constant humiliation of being stuck in perpetual limbo of partial control. A better lesson would be to not pass Liberations but sparingly."

I agree.
Ex-Grandmaster of the small merc group Red Armor
Currently a resident of the Black Hawks
Security Council Debater
Religion and spirituality are different things

Naginii
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 21, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Naginii » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:04 pm

The reality is that the region now has a founder — who also just happens to be his own subject, too. He can do what he will regardless of the badge. Leaving it in place does nobody any harm at all, as there are no natives to "suffer" with a Liberation badge. With an active founder, there's neither benefit nor hinderance to the region if the badge is left there.

Eventually the spotlight will swing away from the region, and this guy will float away somewhere else, and the region will CTE, and take the badge with it.

Redsward
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 24, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Redsward » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:42 am

"Repeal "Liberate Democratia"" was defeated 9,316 votes to 3,217.

A margin of 6,099 votes. Never in my NS life have I ever seen anything larger.

At least your other resolution in queue is definitely passing.
Ex-Grandmaster of the small merc group Red Armor
Currently a resident of the Black Hawks
Security Council Debater
Religion and spirituality are different things

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives