NATION

PASSWORD

DEFEATED: Repeal "Stem Cells for Greater Health"

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Dream Republic
Political Columnist

Founded: Jan 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Dream Republic » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:48 pm

If I were in the WA I would have voted AGAINST. Why? Here we go:

- Some breakthroughs may not be wanted to be put in the public domain; it's up to the scientist.

- The patient should get it if it saves his/her life.

- I'd say that's enough emphasis myself.

Anyways, the only people for the repeal can be categorized into this:

They are whiny, theist little toadies that own a lot of money and say that Christianity is capitalism, and that stem cells are against god when there is no god. And I forgot to capitalize god, didn't I?

/s/ Myan Al 'Khali

Buccaneers FC
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 23, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Buccaneers FC » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:49 pm

OOC: Sorry. That was meant to be me, my computer messes me up from time to time.
The Weegies said:
Dear God, imagine a date with Bluth Corporation:

Date: "Do you mind paying, or do you want to split the bill?"
Bluth Corporation: YOU ARE INFRINGING UPON MY UNIVERSE-DERIVED OBJECTIVE INDIVIDUALITY! MY PERSONAL SOVEREIGNTY, TAKEN FROM COMPLETELY CORRECT AND OBSERVABLE FIRST PRINCIPLES HAS BEEN VIOLATED! YOU ARE IMPOSING SOCIETAL NORMS UPON ME WHICH I REJECT AS ILLEGITIMATE! A IS A! A IS A!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Date: So... split it, then?

Urgench
Minister

Founded: May 21, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Urgench » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:04 pm

Dream Republic wrote:If I were in the WA I would have voted AGAINST. Why? Here we go:

- Some breakthroughs may not be wanted to be put in the public domain; it's up to the scientist.

- I'd say that's enough emphasis myself.

Anyways, the only people for the repeal can be categorized into this:

They are whiny, theist little toadies that own a lot of money and say that Christianity is capitalism, and that stem cells are against god when there is no god. And I forgot to capitalize god, didn't I?

/s/ Myan Al 'Khali

Your Excellency, your characterisation of our delegation, as supporters of this repeal, is an outrageous and grievous insult. Had your Excellency bothered o read the debate your Excellency would have seen that Urgench is virtually completely atheist, and our government is in no way motivated by any kind of theistic agenda. We have put forward a reasoned and in our opinion sound argument as to why Stem Cells for Greater Health in fact served no one, not patients seeking treatment, not nations seeking better means to cooperate in scientific and medical advancement, not scientists or businesses trying to develop better therapies for illnesses, and not law courts in trying to maintain medical ethics. We have not whined, and the Confederated Sublime Khanate of Urgench toadies to no one.

Christianity, a religion which died out in the CSKU many centuries ago was never more than a minority faith within it in any case and our economic policies have never been influenced by any religious creed, they have been guided by the prosaic and earthly imperatives of creating a prosperous and economically secure state in which poverty no longer exists and in which economic freedoms are valued as a human right.

We invite your Excellency to apologise for your ugly and dismissive generalisations which are in fact fatuous and ill informed.

Yours,
- Mongkha, Khan of Kashgar, Ambassador in Plenipotentiary to the World Assembly for the Federated Sublime Khanate of Urgench -

Exchange Embassies with the FSKU here - http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=67

Buccaneers FC
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Buccaneers FC » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:10 pm

While this was too broad a generalization, it is still a valid point. Many supporters of the repeal are probably like that.

Thus, I apologise for insulting your nation.

/s/ Myan Al 'Khali.
The Weegies said:

Bluth Corporation: YOU ARE INFRINGING UPON MY UNIVERSE-DERIVED OBJECTIVE INDIVIDUALITY! MY PERSONAL SOVEREIGNTY, TAKEN FROM COMPLETELY CORRECT AND OBSERVABLE FIRST PRINCIPLES HAS BEEN VIOLATED! YOU ARE IMPOSING SOCIETAL NORMS UPON ME WHICH I REJECT AS ILLEGITIMATE! A IS A! A IS A!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Krioval
Minister

Founded: Jan 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Krioval » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:22 pm

Dream Republic wrote:If I were in the WA I would have voted AGAINST. Why? Here we go:

Your Excellency should be made aware that SCfGH puts all stem cell-related discoveries into the public domain. Krioval believes that it should be up to the discoverer or inventor to do with their discovery what they will, unless they have agreed to deliver the rights of their discovery to another party - or to the public.

SCfGH does not mandate this. In fact, a doctor can refuse life-saving treatment if it conflicts with their "morals" under SCfGH.

Your Excellency has backtracked a bit on this, but the Imperial Chiefdom feels that more discussion is warranted on this issue. Krioval has very few Abrahamic monotheists - Jews, Christians, and Muslims - as a result of our indigenous culture. Our official religion, such as it is, is termed "evolutionary pantheism", and represents our abiding belief that the divine is the natural. We further believe that the secrets of the universe are best revealed by scientific inquiry, and our holy texts are updated as needed to reflect the reality of the universe in which we find ourselves. Because of our repeated conflicts with European colonial powers in our history, and the struggle to sustain our culture against them, we are sad when another delegation fails to ask about our unique history before casting aspersions upon it. We hope that this mischaracterization will not be repeated, Excellency.

Ambassador Darvek[-kan] Tyvok
Imperial Chiefdom of Krioval

Buccaneers FC
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Buccaneers FC » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:24 pm

My apologies, Honoured Ambassador from Krioval, but to be quite honest many people who support the repeal are like that. I am not saying all of them- I say most of them. You happen to be one of the excluded.

/s/ Myan Al 'Khali.
The Weegies said:

Urgench
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Urgench » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:25 pm

Buccaneers FC wrote:While this was too broad a generalization, it is still a valid point. Many supporters of the repeal are probably like that.

Thus, I apologise for insulting your nation.

/s/ Myan Al 'Khali.

To be scrupulously accurate your Excellency, this new speculation of your bears no similarities to your previous statements which appeared to dismiss all supporters of this repeal as theistic toadies et.c. as a matter of fact. Without actually having accurate statistics regarding the characters of those member states which voted upon this repeal we can make no statement regarding the validity of your Excellency's new position.

We do however thank your Excellency for their apology.

Yours,
Last edited by Urgench on Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Mongkha, Khan of Kashgar, Ambassador in Plenipotentiary to the World Assembly for the Federated Sublime Khanate of Urgench -

Exchange Embassies with the FSKU here - http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=67

Krioval
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Krioval » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:26 pm

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:We nevertheless made our voices clear: we voted FOR.

We thank Your Excellency for the support.

I can't see how this resolution should be abandoned at all, but certainly there should be more arguments on why Stem Cells for Greater Health is not improving the world as expected. Maybe try arguments such as:

- Why some breakthroughs should not be put into public domain?
- What about the patient's right to say yes or no to stem cell treatment?
- More emphasis should be put into the regulation of the research and use of biological matter and the resolution concerned has fallen short of it.

Well, we thought we made the argument without an excess of wordiness. You may be correct, Excellency, that more description is needed.

More generally, the Imperial Chiefdom is willing to work on any draft of this repeal that another nation wishes to put forward in the next month or two; we will attempt a redraft of the repeal ourselves at that time. We do ask that we be granted coauthorship credit for any repeal of SCfGH, though we understand that that is predicated on our assistance during the drafting.

Enn
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Enn » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:45 pm

Buccaneers FC wrote:My apologies, Honoured Ambassador from Krioval, but to be quite honest many people who support the repeal are like that. I am not saying all of them- I say most of them. You happen to be one of the excluded.

/s/ Myan Al 'Khali.

Guilt by association? Is that what we've come to?

Stephanie Fulton, of Enn
I know what gay science is.
Reploid Productions wrote:The World Assembly as a whole terrifies me!
Pythagosaurus wrote:You are seriously deluded about the technical competence of the average human.

Buccaneers FC
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Buccaneers FC » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:46 pm

No- I've come down to a disturbingly broad yet realistic generalization of the people that voted for the repeal.

/s/ Myan Al 'Khali.
The Weegies said:

Urgench
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Urgench » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:54 pm

Buccaneers FC wrote:No- I've come down to a disturbingly broad yet realistic generalization of the people that voted for the repeal.

/s/ Myan Al 'Khali.

What on earth does your Excellency mean by "realistic" ? Your Excellency has absolutely no detailed information whatsoever regarding the motivations of any significant number of those states who supported this repeal. Your Excellency's speculations are wild and unfounded in any hard facts and represent your Excellency's personal prejudices and subjective opinions. Unless your Excellency is privy to some vast storehouse of reliable statistics regarding this matter we suggest they no longer pretend to know the intimate consciences of the governments and peoples of thousands of states.

Yours,

Serrland
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Serrland » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:55 pm

No- I've come down to a disturbingly broad yet realistic generalization of the people that voted for the repeal.

I'm willing to bet, good Sir, that you are quite mistaken. Many of the suspected theists those who voted against this seem to harbor great hatred for are not members of the WA, having been driven away by past resolutions. I'm willing to wager, say, 3 bottles of fine Serri Red Wine, grown in the Royal Vineyard itself, that the majority of those who voted against the appeal to not fall into the generalized group you have made reference to.

Krioval
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Krioval » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:58 pm

Buccaneers FC wrote:No- I've come down to a disturbingly broad yet realistic generalization of the people that voted for the repeal.

/s/ Myan Al 'Khali.

Is it really so difficult to admit error in this instance? Krioval forgives; it is an easy enough mistake to make, but one should take responsibility for one's words, Excellency.

Koumpounophobia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Koumpounophobia » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:18 am

Krioval wrote:Is it really so difficult to admit error in this instance?

"Of course it is!" bellowed Carlnet drunkenly, "anything that one person says could offend anyone else. So even after he apologizes for being so generalized and aims to tighten the net of his attack, you still chase him as far as the eye can see! Relax! No harm was meant! He's just letting off steam after a real pressure cooker!"

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives