NATION

PASSWORD

[DEFEATED] Nuclear Proliferation Accords

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Alqania
Minister

Founded: Aug 03, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Alqania » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:55 am

United Federation of Canada wrote:
Alqania wrote:"Perhaps I ought to rephrase my legality concern", Princess Christine speculated. "I put it to my distinguished colleagues in this chamber and to the ever watchful Secretariat that:"

A. A legal Global Disarmament proposal must reduce government spending for the military and/or police
B. This proposal does NOT reduce government spending for the military or police

Conclusion: This proposal is NOT a legal Global Disarmament proposal

"I hope that was clear enough", the Princess added, rather unsatisfied about having to make what she considered an extremely blunt argument.

Oh but it does, as it requires nations to reduce their stockpiles to minimum deterrence levels, which does CUT military spending.

"So stick to that, get rid of the non-proliferation provisions and we have ourselves a fine Global Disarmament proposal", Princess Christine advised. "Controlling whether a member state opts to develop a product themselves or to purchase it is micromanagement and that does not belong in any category."
Queendom of Alqania
Amor vincit omnia et nos cedamus amori
Former Speaker of the Gay Regional Parliament
Represented in the WA by Ambassador Lord Raekevikinfo
and Deputy Ambassador Princess Christineinfo
Author of GA#178
Member of UNOG and the Stonewall Alliance

United Federation of Canada
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 09, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby United Federation of Canada » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:00 am

Alqania wrote:
Oh but it does, as it requires nations to reduce their stockpiles to minimum deterrence levels, which does CUT military spending.

"So stick to that, get rid of the non-proliferation provisions and we have ourselves a fine Global Disarmament proposal", Princess Christine advised. "Controlling whether a member state opts to develop a product themselves or to purchase it is micromanagement and that does not belong in any category."

If we prevent non-proliferation that also promotes global disarmament as well though. It is not micromanagement and and is a very valid issue.

We have asked the Secretariat to look into whether it violates Cooperation in Science and have not heard back yet. If it does, then we will remove the non-proliferation clauses, but that essentially destroys the spirit of this act, and does not truly promote global disarmament.

Alqania
Minister

Founded: Aug 03, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Alqania » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:18 am

Alqania wrote:

If we prevent non-proliferation that also promotes global disarmament as well though.

"False. Non-proliferation does not reduce spending."

United Federation of Canada wrote:It is not micromanagement and and is a very valid issue.

"That is a matter of opinion. The Queendom disagrees."

United Federation of Canada wrote:We have asked the Secretariat to look into whether it violates Cooperation in Science and have not heard back yet. If it does, then we will remove the non-proliferation clauses, but that essentially destroys the spirit of this act, and does not truly promote global disarmament.

"I do not believe there is any Contradiction issue with the Cooperation in Science Act. Research related to nuclear weapons is arguably related to national security and therefore exempted from the CSA. But I do remain steadfast in the interpretation that non-proliferation does not reduce spending and therefore does not belong in a Global Disarmament proposal."
Queendom of Alqania
Amor vincit omnia et nos cedamus amori
Former Speaker of the Gay Regional Parliament
Represented in the WA by Ambassador Lord Raekevikinfo
and Deputy Ambassador Princess Christineinfo
Author of GA#178
Member of UNOG and the Stonewall Alliance

Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby United Federation of Canada » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:28 am

Alqania wrote:
If we prevent non-proliferation that also promotes global disarmament as well though.

"False. Non-proliferation does not reduce spending."

United Federation of Canada wrote:It is not micromanagement and and is a very valid issue.

"That is a matter of opinion. The Queendom disagrees."

United Federation of Canada wrote:We have asked the Secretariat to look into whether it violates Cooperation in Science and have not heard back yet. If it does, then we will remove the non-proliferation clauses, but that essentially destroys the spirit of this act, and does not truly promote global disarmament.

"I do not believe there is any Contradiction issue with the Cooperation in Science Act. Research related to nuclear weapons is arguably related to national security and therefore exempted from the CSA. But I do remain steadfast in the interpretation that non-proliferation does not reduce spending and therefore does not belong in a Global Disarmament proposal."

We understand your disagreement as to the interpretation and respect it, but we believe non-proliferation of nuclear weapons does need to be legislated and will proceed AS IS at this time. If the General Assembly does not agree with our interpretation and does not approve the legislation as is then we are full willing to compromise.

We are just awaiting official contact with our office from the Secretariat on any possible contradictions to current legislation and will proceed when the queue clears up a bit.

We thank Your Highness for the healthy debate on this subject, as this may have opened many eyes on this subject.
Last edited by United Federation of Canada on Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:43 am, edited 4 times in total.

Samozaryadnyastan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Samozaryadnyastan » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:34 am

Samozaryadnyastan wrote:I still believe that 'minimum deterrent' cannot exist.
Sure, MAD may have worked in the real world (though more than once came close to completely failing) but this is NS, where thousands of militaries engage in nuclear attacks as a matter of daily course.

We believe it can work and will.

It would have never actually failed as common sense and survival instinct would have prevented it, plus it requires several people to launch an actual attack and it only take one person to not follow through to prevent it from happening.
In the UK it takes eight to come to agreement and two to launch (aboard a sub). The Soviets needed just four in a silo, with two to launch again. The Americans I think require more than either but still two to launch. If those two can overpower their peers in each scenario, you have a launch.
Remember that a sub has drastically more personnel, but drastically more arsenal.

The thing about the 'minimum deterrent' is that you haven't tried to quantify it (well, you have, but), and doing so anyway would be pointless. It's non-quantifiable and dependant on far too many factors to calculate, assume or even know the existence of.
Sapphire's WA Regional Delegate.
Call me Para.
In IC, I am to be referred to as The People's Republic of Samozniy Russia
Malgrave wrote:You are secretly Vladimir Putin using this forum to promote Russian weapons and tracking down and killing those who oppose you.
^ trufax
Samozniy foreign industry will one day return...
I unfortunately don't RP.
Puppets: The Federal Republic of the Samozniy Space Corps (PMT) and The Indomitable Orthodox Empire of Imperializt Russia (PT).
Take the Furry Test today!

Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby United Federation of Canada » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:43 am

If those two can overpower their peers in each scenario, you have a launch.

But you failed to point out that without the actual launch codes that come as part of the Emergency Action Message or similar from the military command the warheads themselves will not detonate.

Samozaryadnyastan
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Samozaryadnyastan » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:18 pm

If those two can overpower their peers in each scenario, you have a launch.

But you failed to point out that without the actual launch codes that come as part of the Emergency Action Message or similar from the military command the warheads themselves will not detonate.

They almost always have their codes there, with the definite exception of American land and air based missile forces.
All naval (read, ballistic missile sub) arsenals have their launch and arming codes issued in sealed envelopes to which only the Captain of a vessel may have access to. Soviet silo crews had two members of the Strategic Rocket Force who would actually launch the missile, but the remainder of the crew was made up by two KGB agents who would be responsible for arming the warhead.

Naval crews have their codes issued to them because they're intended to be rapid reaction launch platforms. In the case of Britain, especially, the whole point is that the subs expect to launch without any kind of centralised command structure, on which case the sub crew will launch on their own initiative. The Soviet's arsenal could be readied and launched almost automated.
Call me Para.
Malgrave wrote:You are secretly Vladimir Putin using this forum to promote Russian weapons and tracking down and killing those who oppose you.
^ trufax
Puppets: The Federal Republic of the Samozniy Space Corps (PMT) and The Indomitable Orthodox Empire of Imperializt Russia (PT).

Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby United Federation of Canada » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:15 pm

Do we have a legality ruling from the Secretariat or are we clear to send this act to the floor for consideration?

South Aztlan
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] Nuclear Weapons Convention

Postby South Aztlan » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:53 pm

Does it count if i have Nuclear Warhead ICBMs???
For a Safe and Secure Society

Samozaryadnyastan
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Samozaryadnyastan » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:35 pm

South Aztlan wrote:Does it count if i have Nuclear Warhead ICBMs???

Under most (all) definitions, that would constitute a nuclear weapon, yes.
Call me Para.
^ trufax

Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby United Federation of Canada » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:44 pm

DEFINES Nuclear Weapons as a weapon whose destructive power comes from nuclear energy,

Goddess Relief Office
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 04, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Goddess Relief Office » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:12 am

United Federation of Canada wrote:Do we have a legality ruling from the Secretariat or are we clear to send this act to the floor for consideration?

The Mods don't do blanket checking for entire resolutions-- if you have a question on a particular paragraph, you should send them a GHR or go to the Moderation forum and ask them to take a look at that one specific para. for legality.
Keeper of The World Tree - Yggdrasil
General Assembly:
GA#053 - Epidemic Response Act
GA#163 - Repeal LOTS
GA#223 - Transboundary Water Use Act

Security Council:
SC#030 - Commend 10000 Islands (co-author)
SC#044 - Commend Texas (co-author)
SC#066 - Repeal "Liberate Wonderful Paradise"
SC#108 - Liberate South Pacific
SC#135 - Liberate Anarchy (co-author)
SC#139 - Repeal "Liberate South Pacific"

Former delegate and retired defender
Nice links for easy reference:
Passed WA Resolutions | GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | GA Rules

South Aztlan
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby South Aztlan » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:20 am

Samozaryadnyastan wrote:

Under most (all) definitions, that would constitute a nuclear weapon, yes.

Ok then I will cease using the Nuke ICBMs

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:25 am

OOC: The argument so far seems to have centred on the potential use of nuclear weapons as deterrents by 'modern'tech' nations that share a world. What about those 'future-tech' nations for whom nuclear warheads (and/or 'bomb-pumped laser' warheads, which this proposal's current wording would also cover) are actually "required" for use in space against enemy warships?
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Samozaryadnyastan
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Samozaryadnyastan » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:38 am

I believe it's been put forward before that non-MT nations can take or leave the WA proposals as relevancy decides.
Call me Para.
^ trufax

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:42 am

Samozaryadnyastan wrote:I believe it's been put forward before that non-MT nations can take or leave the WA proposals as relevancy decides.

OOC: Not by the Mods, as far as I can recall...
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.

Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby United Federation of Canada » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:17 pm

Goddess Relief Office wrote:
United Federation of Canada wrote:Do we have a legality ruling from the Secretariat or are we clear to send this act to the floor for consideration?

The Mods don't do blanket checking for entire resolutions-- if you have a question on a particular paragraph, you should send them a GHR or go to the Moderation forum and ask them to take a look at that one specific para. for legality.

I have sent a request and a thread in moderation. I was told to start a thread here, which was done with the initial draft.

Samozaryadnyastan
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Samozaryadnyastan » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:57 pm

Bears Armed wrote:
Samozaryadnyastan wrote:I believe it's been put forward before that non-MT nations can take or leave the WA proposals as relevancy decides.

OOC: Not by the Mods, as far as I can recall...

I think it was...
I wouldn't be able to source it, but it essentially said that since the issue wouldn't be relevant to some tech levels (Uranium mining to PT, a whole swathe of things for FT), it could be ICly ignored by those tech levels. Obviously, there's no way to evade the game's ruling on the matter.
Call me Para.
^ trufax

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:17 am

Samozaryadnyastan wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:OOC: Not by the Mods, as far as I can recall...

I think it was...
I wouldn't be able to source it, but it essentially said that since the issue wouldn't be relevant to some tech levels (Uranium mining to PT, a whole swathe of things for FT), it could be ICly ignored by those tech levels. Obviously, there's no way to evade the game's ruling on the matter.

But surely a restriction on numbers of nukes would be relevant to those nations? I can certainly remember one or two of their ambassadors criticising a previous such proposal for this reason...
Last edited by Bears Armed on Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

South Aztlan
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby South Aztlan » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:58 am

Bears Armed wrote:OOC: The argument so far seems to have centred on the potential use of nuclear weapons as deterrents by 'modern'tech' nations that share a world. What about those 'future-tech' nations for whom nuclear warheads (and/or 'bomb-pumped laser' warheads, which this proposal's current wording would also cover) are actually "required" for use in space against enemy warships?

I recently proposed the WA to create a Space Command, much like the one that the UN has. But the proposal didn't pass.

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:47 pm

South Aztlan wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:OOC: The argument so far seems to have centred on the potential use of nuclear weapons as deterrents by 'modern'tech' nations that share a world. What about those 'future-tech' nations for whom nuclear warheads (and/or 'bomb-pumped laser' warheads, which this proposal's current wording would also cover) are actually "required" for use in space against enemy warships?

I recently proposed the WA to create a Space Command, much like the one that the UN has. But the proposal didn't pass.

No, it was deleted because it violated the WA's "No WA Military/Police" rule. But what does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

Bob Flibble
WA Representative

Samozaryadnyastan
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Samozaryadnyastan » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:15 pm

Bears Armed wrote:
Samozaryadnyastan wrote:I think it was...

But surely a restriction on numbers of nukes would be relevant to those nations? I can certainly remember one or two of their ambassadors criticising a previous such proposal for this reason...

I don't see how a limit on the number of nukes a nation can use really matters in the 1860s.
Plus, as has been said, warheads would be innumerable for most FT nations, for a variety of reasons. Mining charges, propulsion charges, the fact that given the assumed vastly superior detection, defence and engagement systems of platforms in the future would make nukes one of the only viable munitions in space and often on the ground.
Call me Para.
^ trufax

Scandavian States
Diplomat

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Scandavian States » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:48 pm

[Minimum deterrence? I suppose that means something if you think, like most people, that conducting nuclear warfare is just a matter of who can bust the other side's cities fastest. Otherwise, it's a loophole so huge you could drive one of those massive German strip mining machines through it with plenty of room to spare.]

Samozaryadnyastan
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Samozaryadnyastan » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:49 pm

Scandavian States wrote:[Minimum deterrence? I suppose that means something if you think, like most people, that conducting nuclear warfare is just a matter of who can bust the other side's cities fastest. Otherwise, it's a loophole so huge you could drive one of those massive German strip mining machines through it with plenty of room to spare.]

Exactly as I have been trying to explain.
Call me Para.
^ trufax

Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby United Federation of Canada » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:04 pm

Submitted for the consideration of the World Assembly.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives