NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Commend Glen-Rhodes, Take #2

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Mahaj
Senator

Founded: Dec 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:03 am

Nazis in Space wrote:
Connopolis wrote:
With all due respect, you need to understand something ambassador, which you've been untinentionally omitting out of blatant spite - I have personally defended once with the UDL. I've posted on their forums once. Stating that I'm advertising the UDL is absolutely non-sensical, given the fact that not only do I lack the reasons to, but I lack the desire to. And before you go around saying that the UDL is so presumptuous, mentioning its own name in the resolution; I advise you read this. This was a private drafting process, in which I made very few changes, given the lack of interest by the generalites of the SC - this proposal was completely devoid of UDL influence, and if it satisfies you, I won't make true statements abou the UDL; rather, I'll simply mention their existence - or is that still too ostentatious to present within the proposal?

Also, "spitting in the faces of hundreds who've achieved more"? Please, if you'd be so inclined as to give me another nation that's passed 7 resolutions, was a former defender, and wrote the WA-based script that determines statistics of WA votes? Stating that hundreds have achieved more is not only spurious, but laughable. Overall, every statement made in your post was slanderous, with all due respect your excellency. It seems as if you've veered off on a tangent of personal spite directed at Dr. Castro, and Glen-Rhodes, and for that, I'm displeased.

Yours in frustration,
How exactly are seven (Poor) resolutions relevant to defending achievements?

I urge the Connopolitan delegate to take the time to actually comprehend my words and the context they're spoken in. When we're talking specifically about a paragraph concerning more-or-less unextant defending achievements, I think it's reasonable to expect everyone to figure out that this is, in fact, the paragraph being talked about. Not any of the other paragraphs.

That the Connopolitan delegate still hasn't understood this, despite it being that specific paragraph that was, and still is, argued about the most, and the one that resulted in the commendation being shot down is, in truth, quite shocking indeed.

~ Mecha-Hitler, English Skillz

You know what really is poor? The fact that you think his resolutions are poor. Your entire comment, and all previous comments here and in the other thread, have been in poor taste. I wish I could expect better of you, but unfortunately, I can't.
Aal Izz Well: UDL
<Koth> I'm still going by the assumption that Mahaj is Unibot's kid brother or something
Kandarin(Naivetry): You're going to have a great NS career ahead of you if you want it, Mahaj. :)
<@Eluvatar> Why is SkyDip such a purist raiderist
<+frattastan> Because his region was never raided.
<+maxbarry> EarthAway: I guess I might dabble in raiding just to experience it better, but I would not like to raid regions of natives, so I'd probably be more interested in defense and liberations

Connopolis
Minister

Founded: May 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Connopolis » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:04 am

Nazis in Space wrote:
Connopolis wrote:
With all due respect, you need to understand something ambassador, which you've been untinentionally omitting out of blatant spite - I have personally defended once with the UDL. I've posted on their forums once. Stating that I'm advertising the UDL is absolutely non-sensical, given the fact that not only do I lack the reasons to, but I lack the desire to. And before you go around saying that the UDL is so presumptuous, mentioning its own name in the resolution; I advise you read this. This was a private drafting process, in which I made very few changes, given the lack of interest by the generalites of the SC - this proposal was completely devoid of UDL influence, and if it satisfies you, I won't make true statements abou the UDL; rather, I'll simply mention their existence - or is that still too ostentatious to present within the proposal?

Also, "spitting in the faces of hundreds who've achieved more"? Please, if you'd be so inclined as to give me another nation that's passed 7 resolutions, was a former defender, and wrote the WA-based script that determines statistics of WA votes? Stating that hundreds have achieved more is not only spurious, but laughable. Overall, every statement made in your post was slanderous, with all due respect your excellency. It seems as if you've veered off on a tangent of personal spite directed at Dr. Castro, and Glen-Rhodes, and for that, I'm displeased.

Yours in frustration,
How exactly are seven (Poor) resolutions relevant to defending achievements?

Err . . . This commendation is about his WA career - that's only a side-bit. Regardlessly, I've removed it.

Also, Glen-Rhodes' resolutions aren't poorly written; I advise you read them prior to making spiteful comments about them. I find it laughable that you're the only one that thinks they're poorly written; albeit, while many might disagree with the proposal, no one's commented on their quality besides you.

Yours,
Last edited by Connopolis on Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
From the office of,
Mrs. Pamela Howell
GA Ambassador of the Connopolian Ministry of Foreign Affairs

Connopolis
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Connopolis » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:19 am

Also, I've changed the world "plethora", to "numerous", as per the request of a certain individual that made note of its erroneous placement. ;)

Yours,
From the office of,
Mrs. Pamela Howell

Southern Patriots
Senator

Founded: Apr 19, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Southern Patriots » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:08 am

I don't think mentioning the UDL once is in poor taste, I've worked with it before. I think trying this commendation again is humorous though. That vote... wow.

Remember Rhodesia.

On Robert Mugabe:
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:He was a former schoolteacher.

I do hope it wasn't in economics.

Panzerjaeger wrote:Why would Cleopatra have cornrows? She is from Egypt not the goddamn Bronx.

Ceannairceach wrote:
Archnar wrote:The Russian Revolution showed a revolution could occure in a quick bloadless and painless process (Nobody was seriously injured or killed).

I doth protest in the name of the Russian Imperial family!
(WIP)

Cerberion
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 22, 2010
Corporate Police State

Postby Cerberion » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:44 am

I'll certainly encourage my region to vote for the newly drafted resolution.

NewBriton
Secretary

Founded: Jul 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby NewBriton » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:47 am

Have to say I'm not very impressed about being sent a telegram asking me to change my vote... I read through the entire debate before deciding how to vote, and everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Unibot II
Senator

Founded: Jan 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot II » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:47 am

Connopolis wrote:The Security Council,

RECOGNIZING the World Assembly ambassador of Glen-Rhodes, Dr. Bradford Castro, as one of the most prolific resolution authors of all time,

FURTHER RECOGNIZING their delegation as a behemoth influence within the General Assembly, and has currently drafted, and passed a plethora extraordinary collection of resolutions such as:

[Reason: 'plethora' describes an 'excess' whereas extraordinary collection, simply suggests it's an outstanding contribution]

• GAR#52 Food Welfare Act, which distributes food to countries in a state of famine, while also creating an international seed bank to prevent individual crops from going extinct,
  • GAR#61 WA Copyright Charter, which creates an international standard for copyrights, and protects patent holders from possible discrimination by individual member-states,
  • GAR#70 International Competition Laws, which promotes international free trade, while preventing impairments to international trade, such as cartels, exclusive trade, and other anti-competitive policies,
  • GAR#94 Microcredits and Microgrants, which creates the World Microcredit Foundation, as well as a subset - the Microgrant Institute - the purpose of which is to distribute microcredits and microgrants to impoverished individuals,
  • GAR#112 Convention on Execution, which creates a standard in regards to execution, while protecting certain individuals from capital punishment (pregnant individuals, mentally instable individuals, and children). This was an important compromise bill that resolved a tense resurgence of the capital punishment issue in the General Assembly,
  • GAR#130 Elections and Assistance Act, which promotes fair election in democratic nations, and creates the Organization for Electoral Assistance, the purpose of which being to assist nations with elections,

APPLAUDING the government of Glen-Rhodes in their creation of an automatically updated archive of how any member-nation that uses the service, have voted in the General Assembly and the Security Council. This "Vote Tracker" has been immensely useful for any member-nation that wishes to maintain a record of which resolutions it has voted for, against or withdrawn.

FURTHER APPLAUDING Glen-Rhodes relentless advocacy for democratic reform in the World Assembly voting system. Although not necessarily agreeing with Glen-Rhodes on this issue, the nominee's steadfast advocacy and commitment to having the fairest system possible is incontrovertibly admirable. To demonstrate what the nominee believed is an undemocratic system, Glen-Rhodes created "RealVotes" which reveals the votes of individual WA nations, the votes of individual WA delegates, and the influence that standard WA members have during individual votes, broken down into percentages; this program has been used by both said issue's proponents (for the purposes of advocacy) and said issue's opposition (as a novelty),

HUMBLED by the etiquette and patience IMPRESSED by the tenacity of Dr. Castro while debating in the chambers of the General Assembly, compounded with his persistence and application of logic and reasoning,

[Let's be honest here guys, G-R isn't the beacon of etiquette, he's patient in the respect that no discourse is too extensive for G-R.]

CONVINCED that any nation that instills such positive change in the world deserves adequate recognition from the medium in which they conducted such change,

HEREBY Commends Glen-Rhodes.
Vocenae wrote:Unibot, you have won NS.
General Halcones wrote:Look up to Unibot as an example.
Member of Gholgoth | The Capitalis de Societate of The United Defenders League (UDL) | Org. Join Date: 25/05/2008
Unibotian Factbook // An Analysis of NationStates Generations // The Gameplay Alignment Test // NS Weather // How do I join the UDL?
World Assembly Card Gallery // The Unibotian Life Expectancy Index // Proudly Authored 9 GA Res., 14 SC Res. // Commended by SC#78;
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Duty is Eternal, Justice is Imminent: UDL

Unibot II
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot II » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:48 am

I also remember G-R co-authored some resolutions, I think. You may want to take a look into that. Anyways, I'll have more suggestions later.
Member of Gholgoth | The Capitalis de Societate of The United Defenders League (UDL) | Org. Join Date: 25/05/2008
Unibotian Factbook // An Analysis of NationStates Generations // The Gameplay Alignment Test // NS Weather // How do I join the UDL?
World Assembly Card Gallery // The Unibotian Life Expectancy Index // Proudly Authored 9 GA Res., 14 SC Res. // Commended by SC#78;

Connopolis
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Connopolis » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:52 am

Unibot II wrote:I also remember G-R co-authored some resolutions, I think. You may want to take a look into that. Anyways, I'll have more suggestions later.

Thanks Uni. I've edited the proposal to accommodate for your edits; needless to say, I've listed you as co-author.

Cerberion wrote:I'll certainly encourage my region to vote for the newly drafted resolution.

Your open-mindedness is certainly admirable. Thanks for the support Cerb.

Yours in warmth,
Last edited by Connopolis on Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
From the office of,
Mrs. Pamela Howell

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:14 pm

Not that I want to help write my own commendation, but I want to correct some factual inaccuracies. The correct term is "microloans" in the M&M clause, not "microcredits." Also, the WA Copyright Charter doesn't cover patents. And lastly, the Organization for Electoral Assistance specifically assists nations transitioning into democracy.

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:25 pm

Connopolis wrote:FURTHER APPLAUDING Glen-Rhodes relentless advocacy for democratic reform in the World Assembly voting system. Although not necessarily agreeing with Glen-Rhodes on this issue, the nominee's steadfast advocacy and commitment to having the fairest system possible is incontrovertibly admirable. To demonstrate what the nominee believed is an undemocratic system, Glen-Rhodes created "RealVotes" which reveals the votes of individual WA nations, the votes of individual WA delegates, and the influence that standard WA members have during individual votes, broken down into percentages; this program has been used by both said issue's proponents (for the purposes of advocacy) and said issue's opposition (as a novelty),

(Non-modly) I'd suggest looking at the wording of this one. Aside from the fact the clause is overly long, be careful about including a clause that commends someone for wanting to remove the power of delegates over WA voting, when those same delegates will have a significant impact on the success of the proposal.

Walabamba
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 13, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Walabamba » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:37 pm

Great, I will definitely be encouraging 10KI to vote for this resolution :)
Avenio wrote:The Canadian ubermensch will soon sweep out of the North and devour the world in a thousand-year reign of darkness, as decreed by Dear Leader Harper from his fortress at Barad-dûr, also known as Calgary. So Canada, obviously.

Unibot II
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot II » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:08 pm

Sedgistan wrote:
Connopolis wrote:FURTHER APPLAUDING Glen-Rhodes relentless advocacy for democratic reform in the World Assembly voting system. Although not necessarily agreeing with Glen-Rhodes on this issue, the nominee's steadfast advocacy and commitment to having the fairest system possible is incontrovertibly admirable. To demonstrate what the nominee believed is an undemocratic system, Glen-Rhodes created "RealVotes" which reveals the votes of individual WA nations, the votes of individual WA delegates, and the influence that standard WA members have during individual votes, broken down into percentages; this program has been used by both said issue's proponents (for the purposes of advocacy) and said issue's opposition (as a novelty),

(Non-modly) I'd suggest looking at the wording of this one. Aside from the fact the clause is overly long, be careful about including a clause that commends someone for wanting to remove the power of delegates over WA voting, when those same delegates will have a significant impact on the success of the proposal.

I think the clause lays out rather clearly that he's not commending him for the idea, but the good intentions and the admirable tenacity of the nominee. I also don't know if watering down the clause to play to delegates is something that would recognize Glen-Rhodes.

Frenequesta
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 22, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Frenequesta » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:12 pm

Frenequesta might actually vote for this, unlike most Security Council proposals.
I’m mostly here for... something to do, I suppose.

Yuktova
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Yuktova » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:13 pm

Come on people. Seriously grow up. I liked the first Commend Glen-Rhodes, and it gets struck down because two people did not like the wording for it. Sad, sad indeed. I dont care what it says, just Commend the guy already!

Sincerely, Yuktova.

Also, approved!
I'm Morrissey... Nice to meet you.
Goldsaver said: This is murder, not a romantic date!

Casta Nal
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Casta Nal » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:17 pm

This lost by two damn votes. Let's hope this time works.
EnragedMaldivians wrote:I hereby dub thee Wage-Slave No.187878XCZ.

An FT Fenda.
My Nation does not reflect my views.

Walabamba
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Walabamba » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:31 pm

Yuktova wrote:Come on people. Seriously grow up. I liked the first Commend Glen-Rhodes, and it gets struck down because two people did not like the wording for it. Sad, sad indeed. I dont care what it says, just Commend the guy already!

Sincerely, Yuktova.

Also, approved!

Well, the point of a Commendation is to recognize someones acheivements and this one does it a hell of a lot better then the other one.
Avenio wrote:The Canadian ubermensch will soon sweep out of the North and devour the world in a thousand-year reign of darkness, as decreed by Dear Leader Harper from his fortress at Barad-dûr, also known as Calgary. So Canada, obviously.

The Bruce
Diplomat

Founded: Antiquity
New York Times Democracy

Postby The Bruce » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:00 pm

The clause about commending their attempt to remove delegate votes is questionable, but their impact on the WA is not. I think that if you amended the part about removing delegate votes, you'll see Glen-Rhodes get the commendation they deserve.

A mean old man
Senator

Founded: Jun 27, 2008
Father Knows Best State

Postby A mean old man » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:41 pm

Casta Nal wrote:This lost by two damn votes. Let's hope this time works.

Don't put anything outlandish in it and it will.
A: SC#16 - Repeal "Liberate The Security Council"
A: SC#26 - Commend The Joint Systems Alliance
A: SC#30 - Commend 10000 Islands
A: SC#37 - Condemn NAZI EUROPE
A: SC#38 - Repeal "Condemn NAZI EUROPE"
A: GA#149 - On Expiration Dates
C: SC#58 - Repeal "Commend Sedgistan"
A: SC#62 - Repeal "Condemn Swarmlandia"
C: SC#63 - Commend Ballotonia
A: SC#65 - Condemn Punk Reloaded
C: GA#163 - Repeal "Law of the Sea"
A: SC#72 - Repeal "Commend Mikeswill"
C: SC#74 - Condemn Lone Wolves United
C: SC#76 - Repeal "Condemn Thatcherton"
A: SC#81 - Repeal "Condemn Anthony Delasanta"
C: SC#83 - Condemn Automagfreek
C: SC#84 - Repeal "Liberate Islam"
C: SC#111 - Commend Krulltopia ← please forget

Black Marne
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 11, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Black Marne » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:05 pm

FOR. Forforforforforforforforforforforforforforforforforforforforfor.

-The New Argonian Homeland of Black Marne
Defense, Liberation, Bacon: UDL

FUS RO DAH!
World Assembly Delegate of New Dinosaurtopia

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 14, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:12 am

The Bruce wrote:The clause about commending their attempt to remove delegate votes is questionable, but their impact on the WA is not. I think that if you amended the part about removing delegate votes, you'll see Glen-Rhodes get the commendation they deserve.

Once again, Bruce, do you even know what you're talking about here, or are you just assuming GR deserves a badge because he's a famous name? :roll:

As to the OP, I highly prefer the "Commend SP" approach to recalling legislative exploits -- that is, brief prose about the overall effects of the nominee's resolutions, rather than the blow-by-blow of each notch on the bedpost, as you have above. Uni's additions could afford to be scaled down.

(Like I'm gonna vote for this anyway, but take from that what you will.)
Omigodtheykilledkenny FAQ | "The Biggest Sovereigntist IN THE WORLD" - Chester Pearson

Walabamba
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Walabamba » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:08 pm

When were you thinking of submitting this?

Black Marne
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Black Marne » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:36 pm

Walabamba wrote:When were you thinking of submitting this?

Who knows? But if this gets to quorum again, WE MUST VOTE EARLY. It will swing votes in our direction.

FUS RO DAH!

Drop Your Pants
Senator

Founded: Apr 17, 2005
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Drop Your Pants » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:42 pm

Wasn't that an issue last time around? :P
Happily oblivious to NS Drama and I rarely pay attention beyond 5 minutes

Black Marne
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Black Marne » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:18 pm

Drop Your Pants wrote:Wasn't that an issue last time around? :P

Indeed, it was more or less the reason for the proposal's downfall.

FUS RO DAH!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives