NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Right to Petition

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Knootoss
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Knootoss » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:28 am

OOC: WTF. PETA can and, in fact, does send out petitions. People sign them too. There are also petitions against PETA. The argument really makes no sense. Corporations being allowed to send letters is the beginning of the end?

Ideological Bulwark #7 - RPed population preserves relative population sizes. Webgame population / 100 is used by default. If this doesn't work for you and it is relevant to our RP, please TG.

Nullarni
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 26, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Nullarni » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:32 am

OOC: Yeah, didn't you get the memo? Aw corporations iz ebol.
Proud founder of the NEW WARSAW PACT. Visitors welcome.

Speculine
Envoy

Founded: Jul 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Speculine » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:45 am

Knootoss wrote:OOC: WTF. PETA can and, in fact, does send out petitions. People sign them too. There are also petitions against PETA. The argument really makes no sense. Corporations being allowed to send letters is the beginning of the end?

OOC: Yes, I now this and I'm opposed to it in real life as well. I've worked for a couple large corporations and I really don't think they should be pushing their agendas around.
Last edited by Speculine on Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Factbook, still in the works
National Leader: Emperor Maximus Serpentus
WA Representative: Ambassador Antony Zethicus

Knootoss
Senator

Postby Knootoss » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:56 am

OOC: You want a law that bans organisations from sending letters to the government?!

Ideological Bulwark #7 - RPed population preserves relative population sizes. Webgame population / 100 is used by default. If this doesn't work for you and it is relevant to our RP, please TG.

Southern Patriots
Senator

Founded: Apr 19, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Southern Patriots » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:00 am

This is a reasonable proposal.
Approved.

Remember Rhodesia.

On Robert Mugabe:
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:He was a former schoolteacher.

I do hope it wasn't in economics.

Panzerjaeger wrote:Why would Cleopatra have cornrows? She is from Egypt not the goddamn Bronx.

Ceannairceach wrote:
Archnar wrote:The Russian Revolution showed a revolution could occure in a quick bloadless and painless process (Nobody was seriously injured or killed).

I doth protest in the name of the Russian Imperial family!
(WIP)

Speculine
Envoy

Founded: Jul 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Speculine » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:01 am

OOC: PETA is a corporation and yes I do feel that corporations should not be allowed to petition. People and non-corporate entities can petition till their heart's are content. But I really don't think corporations should have that power.
Factbook, still in the works
National Leader: Emperor Maximus Serpentus
WA Representative: Ambassador Antony Zethicus

Knootoss
Senator

Postby Knootoss » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:03 am

If there are nations that want to take away the right of organisations to send letters, this resolution is very much needed.

Alqania
Minister

Founded: Aug 03, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Alqania » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:06 am

Lord Raekevik read through the proposal and smiled.

"Ambassador Koopman, the Queendom shall be casting its vote in favour of this proposal, should it reach the floor.

Regarding companies, since that seems to be an issue of some controversy, I wonder if it would really affect the proposal to remove that clause or make it optional. Perhaps it would be worth it to gain some extra approvals and votes in favour? Perhaps just removing the word 'companies' would be enough for most Ambassadors, leaving organisations and associations in."
Queendom of Alqania
Amor vincit omnia et nos cedamus amori
Former Speaker of the Gay Regional Parliament
Represented in the WA by Ambassador Lord Raekevikinfo
and Deputy Ambassador Princess Christineinfo
Author of GA#178
Member of UNOG and the Stonewall Alliance

Herttora
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Herttora » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:30 pm

Speculine wrote:OOC: PETA is a corporation and yes I do feel that corporations should not be allowed to petition. People and non-corporate entities can petition till their heart's are content. But I really don't think corporations should have that power.

So, if a member of a corporation passes around a petition would that then be illegal? Every petition is written by a person, pushed a person, and submitted by a person. You may perhaps be able to limit corporate funds given directly to a petitioner, but that corporation could simply give the person a "bonus" for "exceptional work". You can't ban the actual act of a corporation petitioning unless you discriminate against everyone employed by one, refusing them the right to petition.

OOC: There are states in the US who have passed laws attempting to do just that, they failed miserably on the same line. A corporation isn't a true entity, but an amalgam of entities. Corporations can't petition, but individuals can petition for something beneficial for a corporation for the express purpose of assisting that corporation. Too fine a line to ever draw.

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:51 pm

If you are worried that government officials are going to be corrupted if corporations have the right to petition, you're looking at the wrong enemy. The problem clearly lies with the officials, not the corporations.

Quelesh
Minister

Founded: Jun 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Quelesh » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:01 pm

Knootoss wrote:EXTENDS this right equally to companies, organisations and associations that have their headquarters in a World Assembly Member State;

I am still concerned that this clause sets an undesirable precedent regarding the recognition of corporate personhood.

I support the right of people, whether individually or collectively, to petition their government. However, as another ambassador has pointed out, petitions must come from people, and corporations are not people.

A petition signed with the names of all or many of the employees of a corporation would be accepted, as these people have the right to petition collectively. However, nations should be able to reject a petition signed not with the names of people but with the name of a corporation, as there is no such person with that name. Forcing member states to accept petitions that are not signed by any person, rather only by a corporation, sets a precedent towards the recognition of such corporations as legal persons, which I very much oppose.

I also continue to maintain that the above clause is entirely unnecessary, because of a previous clause:

Knootoss wrote:RESOLVES that citizens and residents of World Assembly Member States, acting alone or as part of a group, have the right to send petitions to officials and institutions that claim jurisdiction over their person;

Under this clause, people will have the right to petition collectively, not just individually. Therefore, member states would be compelled to accept a petition signed with the names of the employees of a corporation. They would simply not be required to accept a petition with no people's names signed to it.
"I hate mankind, for I think myself one of the best of them, and I know how bad I am." - Samuel Johnson

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw
Political Compass | Economic Left/Right: -7.75 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -10.00

Darenjo
Minister

Founded: Mar 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Darenjo » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:11 pm

First, I'd like to re-iterate my support for this.

Second, I'd like to remind certain delegates to the fact that, under this proposal, your nation could legally decide to chuck any petitions from corporations into the bin upon seeing the return address. The right to petition does not include the right to force someone to read the petition.

Third, as to Quelesh's comment, I do agree that a corporation could count as a "group." Possibly, additional clarification on that point may be needed. And as for the precedent about corporations being people, how about this (if it's really needed):

CLARIFIES that nothing in this resolution is to be construed as the WA taking a position in the debate over whether corporations are people, or keeping the WA from taking a position on such in the future;

There - nice and neutral.

Anyways, once again, I support.

- Dr. Park
Last edited by Darenjo on Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Park Si-Jung, Ambassador to the World Assembly for The People's Democracy of Darenjo

Proud Member of Eastern Islands of Dharma!

Quelesh
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Quelesh » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:19 pm

Darenjo wrote:Third, as to Quelesh's comment, I do agree that a corporation could count as a "group." Possibly, additional clarification on that point may be needed. And as for the precedent about corporations being people, how about this (if it's really needed):

CLARIFIES that nothing in this resolution is to be construed as the WA taking a position in the debate over whether corporations are people, or keeping the WA from taking a position on such in the future;

There - nice and neutral.

I don't think such a clause would be sufficient. The WA may not be taking a stand on the matter, but member states would still be required to accept (though not necessarily read or act upon) petitions that are not signed by any people. Petitions signed by only a non-person corporation would legally have to be accepted, just as petitions signed by people. This would be a small, though I believe significant, step towards the recognition of corporate personhood by those member states.

The EXTENDS clause should be removed entirely. Doing so would not hurt the proposal in the slightest, as all people would still have the right to petition both individually and collectively, and it would earn the support of Quelesh and of other nations concerned about this issue.
"I hate mankind, for I think myself one of the best of them, and I know how bad I am." - Samuel Johnson

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw
Political Compass | Economic Left/Right: -7.75 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -10.00

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:30 pm

Quelesh wrote:Under this clause, people will have the right to petition collectively, not just individually. Therefore, member states would be compelled to accept a petition signed with the names of the employees of a corporation. They would simply not be required to accept a petition with no people's names signed to it.

To you, is there a difference between "Industrial Manufacturing, Inc." and "United Agricultural Workers Union?"

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 29, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:32 pm

Glen-Rhodes wrote:To you, is there a difference between "Industrial Manufacturing, Inc." and "United Agricultural Workers Union?"

Da, Comrade! The Glorious People's Revolution declares that all Unions United Workers are permitted but corporations are forbidden!

Quelesh
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Quelesh » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:03 pm

Glen-Rhodes wrote:
Quelesh wrote:Under this clause, people will have the right to petition collectively, not just individually. Therefore, member states would be compelled to accept a petition signed with the names of the employees of a corporation. They would simply not be required to accept a petition with no people's names signed to it.

To you, is there a difference between "Industrial Manufacturing, Inc." and "United Agricultural Workers Union?"

In terms of personhood, no. Neither is a person and neither entity in itself, as opposed to the people who compose it, should be granted legal recognition as a person.

That said, the aims of those two entities are likely very different; one likely seeks after profit alone while the other likely supports people over profit. However, that's irrelevant to the current discussion and to corporate (or perhaps "organizational") personhood.
Last edited by Quelesh on Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:00 pm

Quelesh wrote:In terms of personhood, no. Neither is a person and neither entity in itself, as opposed to the people who compose it, should be granted legal recognition as a person.

So a labor union should not be able to collectively petition the government? Doesn't that completely destroy the purpose of labor unions?

Quelesh wrote:However, that's irrelevant to the current discussion and to corporate (or perhaps "organizational") personhood.

No, it's not irrelevant. Both are corporations. However, you are separating them into profit vs. non-profit categories, and saying that the profit category corporations don't deserve any rights.

For some reason, you've been fooled into thinking that the right to petition has anything to do with corporate personhood. Corporations have always had the right to petition. Corporate personhood arose in 1886; the right to petition arose in the late 1600s. Since corporations are affected by laws, they have always been given the right to petition for redress of grievances.
Last edited by Glen-Rhodes on Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scandavian States
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Scandavian States » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:30 pm

[There are ways to sharply curb the influence of corporations in government without removing their right to petition. Further, as Glen Rhodes has pointed out, corporate personhood is an old legal concept that at this point is unassailable. Finally, as Knoot has pointed out, corporations have the right to petition because they are chartered by people.

If you're seriously going to argue that corporations don't have the right to petition, you're basically arguing against a whole slew of natural and statutory rights beyond the right to petition.]

Libraria and Ausitoria
Negotiator

Founded: May 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Libraria and Ausitoria » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:26 pm

Knootoss wrote:The resolution says nothing about governments being forced to accept petitions.

Great! Therefore we actively support this proposal: support because we believe people should petition, and actively because we want this proposal to get through and so take some of the wind out of the sails of any possible future petition saying that governments should have to accept petitions.

Darenjo wrote:

Beautiful wording - and a very good addition.
The Aestorian Commonwealth - Pax Prosperitas - Gloria in Maere - (Factbook)

Disclaimer: Notwithstanding any mention of their nations, Ausitoria and its canon does not exist nor impact the canon of many IFC & SACTO & closed-region nations; and it is harassment to presume it does. However in accordance with my open-door policy the converse does not apply: they still impact Ausitoria's canon.
○ Commonwealth Capital (Bank) ○ ○ Commonwealth Connect (Bank Treaty) ○ ○ SeaScape (Shipping & Energy) ○
(██████████████████████████████║║◙█[Θ]█]◙◙◙◙◙[█]

Quelesh
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Quelesh » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:34 pm

Glen-Rhodes wrote:
Quelesh wrote:In terms of personhood, no. Neither is a person and neither entity in itself, as opposed to the people who compose it, should be granted legal recognition as a person.

So a labor union should not be able to collectively petition the government? Doesn't that completely destroy the purpose of labor unions?

The purpose of a labor union is to present a united front in negotiations with an employer, not necessarily to petition the state. The members of labor unions should have the right to collectively petition the government just as the employees of a corporation should have that right. All I'm saying is that the government should be able to reject petitions that are signed only with the name of a corporation (or union, or what have you) and not with the names of any people.

Glen-Rhodes wrote:
Quelesh wrote:However, that's irrelevant to the current discussion and to corporate (or perhaps "organizational") personhood.

No, it's not irrelevant. Both are corporations. However, you are separating them into profit vs. non-profit categories, and saying that the profit category corporations don't deserve any rights.

For some reason, you've been fooled into thinking that the right to petition has anything to do with corporate personhood. Corporations have always had the right to petition. Corporate personhood arose in 1886; the right to petition arose in the late 1600s. Since corporations are affected by laws, they have always been given the right to petition for redress of grievances.

For the purposes of this proposal I'm not separating them into for-profit and not-for-profit. Quelesian law does not recognize the existence of corporations, or any other kind of organization. That doesn't mean that people can't organize; it just means that people are responsible and liable for their own actions individually. There is no "corporate liability."

Granting the right to petition to non-person entities does not grant those entities all the legal rights of personhood, but it is a small step in that direction.

Scandavian States wrote:[There are ways to sharply curb the influence of corporations in government without removing their right to petition. Further, as Glen Rhodes has pointed out, corporate personhood is an old legal concept that at this point is unassailable. Finally, as Knoot has pointed out, corporations have the right to petition because they are chartered by people.

If you're seriously going to argue that corporations don't have the right to petition, you're basically arguing against a whole slew of natural and statutory rights beyond the right to petition.]

Corporate personhood is practically unassailable in the RL United States, but not in NS.

Corporations don't have the right to petition because they don't have any rights at all. Rights, by definition, are for people. Impersonal entities cannot possess rights.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011

Postby Separatist Peoples » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:38 pm

Scandavian States wrote:[There are ways to sharply curb the influence of corporations in government without removing their right to petition. Further, as Glen Rhodes has pointed out, corporate personhood is an old legal concept that at this point is unassailable. Finally, as Knoot has pointed out, corporations have the right to petition because they are chartered by people.

Why should it be so bad that corporations control a government? Several nations in this august council are nothing more then corporate dictatorships and corporate oligarchies.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:49 pm

Quelesh wrote:All I'm saying is that the government should be able to reject petitions that are signed only with the name of a corporation (or union, or what have you) and not with the names of any people.

That flies in the face of the entire concept of the right to petition.

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 29, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:51 pm

Glen-Rhodes wrote:
Quelesh wrote:All I'm saying is that the government should be able to reject petitions that are signed only with the name of a corporation (or union, or what have you) and not with the names of any people.

That flies in the face of the entire concept of the right to petition.

How exactly does requiring signatures from actual people fly in the face of the right to petition?
If you see I've made a mistake in my wording or a factual detail, telegram me and I'll fix it. I'll even give you credit for pointing it out, if you'd like.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

[violet]: Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Me, responding to a request to vote for a liberation: But... but that would blemish my near-perfect history of spitefully voting against anything the SC does!
Farnhamia: That is not to be taken as license to start calling people "buttmunch."

GPG key ID: A8960638 fingerprint: 2239 2687 0B50 2CEC 28F7 D950 CCD0 26FC A896 0638

they/them pronouns

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011

Postby Separatist Peoples » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:54 pm

Aren't governments allowed to ignore any petition anyways? So why is it a problem if corporations are allowed to petition as corporations? You could simply ignore them, and allow nations that would accept such a petition to do so.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:36 am

Quelesh wrote:Quelesian law does not recognize the existence of corporations, or any other kind of organization. That doesn't mean that people can't organize; it just means that people are responsible and liable for their own actions individually.

"So each person who's working in a business that they themselves don't own has to be employed by another specific individual there, in a sort of 'industrial feudalism' arrangement, rather than by the business as a whole? And all premises and vehicles and stocks of materials that are utilised by any business, and all products that have been produced by those businesses but not yet sold on, have to be owned by specific individuals rather than by the business as a whole?!? That smells decidely inefficient for any business that's too big to be financed and run by a single owner or -- at the most -- by a verrry small group of partners..."

Artorrios o SouthWoods,
ChairBear, Bears Armed Mission at the World Assembly.

OOC: *(checks)*
Economy _ Imploded

The private sector is almost wholly made up of enterprising ten-year-olds selling lemonade on the sidewalk, although the government is looking at stamping this out.
Ah, okay, looks as though you might already have found that out for yourself...

^_^
Last edited by Bears Armed on Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives