NATION

PASSWORD

[DEFEATED] On the Declaration of War

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Airandia
Secretary

Founded: Apr 25, 2012
Ex-Nation

On the Declaration of War

Postby Airandia » Fri May 17, 2013 8:57 pm

To determine if a war is justified or not, is necessary a political and historical analysis that take years. The revisionist processes add complexity in the study of a war causes (and consequences), and a military conflict begins responding more to historical courses, than short term political actions.
Then the applicability of this proposal is questionable, coupled with possible detriment of the nations sovereignty.
Ensuring the respect of the human rights and international law is the fundamental responsibility of the World Assembly during a military action, NOT deciding on defense and international policies that belongs to a country sovereignty.
Therefore, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Airandia delegates, with the power conferred by the Executive office and the National Assembly, refuses to support this proposal.]

Bodobol
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 12, 2010
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Bodobol » Fri May 17, 2013 10:12 pm

Bodobol opposes this legislation on the basis that it is impossible for a single party to determine whether or not a war is justifiable.
Last.fmRead my blogshe/her

Crizchu
Civilian

Founded: May 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Crizchu » Fri May 17, 2013 11:11 pm

War itzelf iz unjiztifiable... the rezolution iz a way to legitimate certain wars that seem "rational", but no war iz rational for the people of Crizchu. Crizchu votez "AGAINZT".

New Charon
Secretary

Founded: Sep 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby New Charon » Sat May 18, 2013 2:40 am

This disarmament proposal is ridiculous and I hope it get defeated (which it will). What about the nations that aren't active members of the world assembly? They will be a severe advantage as they continue to build up there military power while our nations will be prevented from advancing our own defenses because of an international sanction, which was in turn proposed by pacifists who are probably reliant on there allies for military protection.

Bungaku Shoujo
Political Columnist

Founded: Mar 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Bungaku Shoujo » Sat May 18, 2013 3:05 am

The government of Bungaku Shoujo voted against the resolution as we don't see why we should risk the lives of our own soldiers to aid another nation who might be practicing the ideologies that we oppose.

Antrema
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Antrema » Sat May 18, 2013 5:39 am

We already have provisions of this in Antremian Law, but due to the wording of this treaty of the world assembly namely the prohibiton of military or financial aid or support to a nation already engaged in war, we have vetoed this bill. Any nation that is found to have supported enemies of the state during wartime by providing financial or military aid will be dealt with appropriately.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sat May 18, 2013 6:17 am

The Eternal Kawaii wrote:As well-intentioned as this proposal is, it is fundamentally meaningless, and we are wasting our time debating it.

The voting trend is agreeing with you, almost 80% against right now.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Cabana
Minister

Founded: May 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cabana » Sat May 18, 2013 6:32 am

Do we really need any more soldiers?
I just got off the phone with the Toldovian Prime Minister and he bragged to me about the martial law he enacted with all of his soldiers.
It's inevitable that we will end up starting martial law with all these soldiers
The only thing I do not support about it however is advancing our military's technology.
Post-Sarcastic Gnostic Anarcho-Fascist
Bezombia wrote:-Reagan was a Pastafarian and had statues of Cthulhu in his bed every night.
-Vladimir Lenin was married to Reagan's wife. Make of that what you will.
come on and slam
Only results! This world only remembers the results!

Scorpio1224
Civilian

Ex-Nation

Postby Scorpio1224 » Sat May 18, 2013 3:22 pm

Dear Ambassadors,

The Republic of Scorpio1224 has no issue with nations wanting to ensure that people go to war for justified reasons. But it is our view that some Nation's reasons may not be that clear to other nations and this defeats the purpose of this resolution. It is up to the citizens of that nation or nations to determine whether or not their governments are justified in the actions they have taken. As such, the Republic of Scorpio1224 votes AGAINST this resolution.

The Republic of Scorpio1224 World Assembly Ambassador,
John Bolt

Ummagumma
Lobbyist

Founded: Antiquity
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Ummagumma » Sat May 18, 2013 4:41 pm

As sneak attacks are the acts of cowards, we believe that this resolution doesn’t go far enough. It permits you to invade someone and then at your earliest convenience declare war. That option completely strips this resolution of any significance.

It should be stipulated by the WA that under no circumstances is it acceptable to go to war with another state without first making a formal declaration and with good reason (if there truly is such a thing). For too long we've had to endure a steady line of wars that have no reason other than war itself. There are far too many opt outs for this resolution to be effective.

When a WA member state commits savage acts of war, without regard for diplomacy, it diminishes us all.

TitanShadow12
Attaché

Founded: Jan 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby TitanShadow12 » Sat May 18, 2013 4:47 pm

Araraukar wrote:
TitanShadow12 wrote:This bill is NOT saying that you cut military spending, even though that's in the subtitle!

The category does that, though, regardless of the resolution text. Look them up.

OOPS, my bad! I guess you're right.
I still stand by my decision for other reasons. Thanks for clearing that up. Now i feel stupid... :palm:

Velika Zeta
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Velika Zeta » Sat May 18, 2013 7:13 pm

Velika Zeta wishes condolences to Cowardly Pacifists, as it appears this resolution is destined for failure.

However, it then retracts its condolences as it can not help but think that this resolution was, in part, formulated for Cowardly Pacifists own agenda.

Maynardian Diplomatic Mission to the WA
Secretary

Founded: Feb 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Maynardian Diplomatic Mission to the WA » Sat May 18, 2013 8:02 pm

When judging resolution, our diplomatic mission considers whether the benefits of the legislation outweigh the loss of sovereignty and/or the increase of bureaucracy. We have judged that this resolution worth it and will be supporting it.
From the Office of the Maynard Islands Diplomatic Mission to the World Assembly
Part of The Maynard Islands Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade

Aguas Tranquilas
Civil Servant

Founded: Feb 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

On The Current Proposal

Postby Aguas Tranquilas » Sat May 18, 2013 11:18 pm

While the United States of Aguas Tranquilas is a peaceful nation that strongly condemns the unjust waging and execution of wars, and believes in international accountability, we have chosen to vote against this proposal. We believe that it is an unnecessary set of restrictions. The Security Council is responsible for keeping nations accountable. Adding a set of guidelines on various subjects for the Security Council might be in order, however. This GA proposal contains no mention of the Security Council and is only on the subject of the declaration of war. The Government of Aguas Tranquilas, supported by numerous citizens, suggests that this proposal be revamped to provide fewer loopholes, eliminate the possibility of subjectivity, to focus more on the conduct of war, and to make specific reference to the Security Council.
Jack Olive-Branch
Assistant to the Tranquilian Ambassador to the GA

Mizrad
Senator

Founded: Jan 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Mizrad » Sat May 18, 2013 11:23 pm

Bodobol wrote:Bodobol opposes this legislation on the basis that it is impossible for a single party to determine whether or not a war is justifiable.

I agree with the proposal, but also with this statement. Said "Deciding party" Would obviously be the biased government of the nation waiting for a reason to turn a country to ash just because of some made up reason to attack somebody who did little wrong.
"No good decision was ever made in a swivel chair" -George Patton
Proud Member of the INTERNATIONAL FREEDOM COALITION!

Nosy little fucker aren't you?

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sun May 19, 2013 5:27 am

*(reads the text)*
Requires Member Nations, in making their determination, to consider whether war is necessary for self defense, to protect an innocent nation from imminent danger, or to correct a grave public evil such as aggression or a violation of basic human rights;

"So fighting to defend humans' rights would be considered 'just', but fighting to defend ursines' rights wouldn't?
"Against."

Artorrios o SouthWoods,
ChairBear, Bears Armed Mission at the World Assembly
for
The High Council of Clans,
The Confederated Clans of the Free Bears of Bears Armed.

(OOC: Honestly the first time that I'd looked closely enough to spot that point...)
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Ainocra
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 20, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ainocra » Sun May 19, 2013 6:28 am

Due to the attempt to rob nations of their discretion we can no longer support this proposal.
The Star Empire votes Nay.
Alcon Enta
Supreme Marshal of Ainocra

"From far, from eve and morning and yon twelve-winded sky, the stuff of life to knit blew hither: here am I. ...Now--for a breath I tarry nor yet disperse apart--take my hand quick and tell me, what have you in your heart." --Roger Zelazny

Taak
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby Taak » Sun May 19, 2013 4:30 pm

Taak is in favor, although opponents have voiced valid concerns and questions regarding the proposal. Voted yes.

The Old States
Secretary

Founded: Sep 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Old States » Sun May 19, 2013 6:54 pm

As The Old States stands by that no resolution shall limit any nation of war powers, we vote nay for this bill.

Perlas-ng-Silangan
Secretary

Founded: Jan 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Perlas-ng-Silangan » Sun May 19, 2013 9:19 pm

We, the people of the Allied States of Perlas-ng-Silangan, are vexed with certain stipulations in the proposal and thus raise the same objections as the representatives of Bodobol and Scorpio1224.

We vote against the resolution, without prejudice to its being brought to vote again in an amended form in the foreseeable future.
Last edited by Perlas-ng-Silangan on Sun May 19, 2013 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What if things went differently? What if the events of the next 100 years after the Revolution were altered beyond recognition, giving birth not to a half-dead mess, but to an altogether different entity?

Welcome to Perlas-ng-Silangan. This is how history should have unfolded. This is our story.

Economic Left/Right: -3.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.85

Czechopolakia
Political Columnist

Founded: May 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Czechopolakia » Sun May 19, 2013 11:02 pm

Against

Gwrachbyd
Envoy

Founded: Nov 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Gwrachbyd » Mon May 20, 2013 3:29 am

we feel that we will have to abstain from voting on this issue for the time being as though we agree that war is terrible thing and that the world would be a better place without it we also feel that it is a nessacary evil and that sometimes armed conflict is unavoidable, and we feel that terms such as "justifiable" is too ambiguious as what one person or nation may consider a valid reason to go to war another may not.

even though we agree with the spirit of this proposition we feel that at this time we can not vote one way or the other as we feel that if this were to come to pass it could limit the ability of ourself and others to aid those we feel need help in the event that such situation should arrise but considered "unjustified" by other nations.

so for now we have decided to withold our vote until we have had time to ponder the ramifications of this proposal but are still willing to listen to arguements one way or the other in regards to this proposal

Libraria and Ausitoria
Negotiator

Founded: May 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Libraria and Ausitoria » Mon May 20, 2013 5:45 am

Bears Armed wrote:*(reads the text)*
Requires Member Nations, in making their determination, to consider whether war is necessary for self defense, to protect an innocent nation from imminent danger, or to correct a grave public evil such as aggression or a violation of basic human rights;

"So fighting to defend humans' rights would be considered 'just', but fighting to defend ursines' rights wouldn't?
"Against."

Your excellency, we are under the apprehension that when it is the WA, 'human rights' should be interpreted in the same way that the WA category 'human rights' is. At the very least, the wording is identical.
Last edited by Libraria and Ausitoria on Mon May 20, 2013 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Aestorian Commonwealth - Pax Prosperitas - Gloria in Maere - (Factbook)

Disclaimer: Notwithstanding any mention of their nations, Ausitoria and its canon does not exist nor impact the canon of many IFC & SACTO & closed-region nations; and it is harassment to presume it does. However in accordance with my open-door policy the converse does not apply: they still impact Ausitoria's canon.
○ Commonwealth Capital (Bank) ○ ○ Commonwealth Connect (Bank Treaty) ○ ○ SeaScape (Shipping & Energy) ○
(██████████████████████████████║║◙█[Θ]█]◙◙◙◙◙[█]

Cowardly Pacifists
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Cowardly Pacifists » Mon May 20, 2013 9:03 am

Clearly, there is not much international support for this idea - at least not as I've managed to express it in this proposal.

I remain convinced that war declarations serve a valid international purpose, though I fear my attempt to include more than a smidgen of just war theory is what doomed this proposal.
Last edited by Cowardly Pacifists on Mon May 20, 2013 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
The We Already Surrender of Cowardly Pacifists

Warning: Sometimes uses puppets.
Another Warning: Posts from this nation are always OOC.

Crowell Republic
Civilian

Founded: May 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

End This

Postby Crowell Republic » Mon May 20, 2013 12:10 pm

Making this law will mean that no nation can be supported during a time of need. If a nation is in trouble we can't help them. You need to end this vote anyways. Your going to lose because most of the delegates have voted against.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives