NATION

PASSWORD

Republican House Unveiled Proposed Cuts

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Republican House Unveiled Proposed Cuts

Postby Luna Amore » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:54 am

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/20 ... ding-cuts/

The House Republicans are proposing the biggest reduction package in history, five times bigger than any before it. I'm really confused how anyone thought this was a good idea. Under this, over 100 programs would be completely canceled including AmeriCorps, Teach For America, and scholarships. The aim is to cut 100 billion, but my first thought was, couldn't you cut 100 billion from the defense budget alone? If I remember correctly, that went over a trillion last year.

Thoughts on this? Good, bad? Do you think Americans will support this? Will this die or will the Democrats compromise?

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:02 am

They promised and they delivered. Also they know it wont get past the senate so intact, they will compromise to 1/4 that.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Xomic
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 12, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Xomic » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:02 am

One wonders why they don't just raise taxes instead.
Political compass
Economic Left/Right: -6.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.21

Rolamec
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 15, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Rolamec » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:05 am

Xomic wrote:One wonders why they don't just raise taxes instead.

Because it means less money for people to spend....did we not learn anything from the Great Depression, when FDR tried raising taxes what was it in 37? 39? And caused a double dip? Anybody? ANYBODY!
Rolamec of New Earth
A Proud and Progressive Republican.
"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Economic Left/Right: 4.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 2.05

Herskerstad
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Herskerstad » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:06 am

100 billion is nothing when running 500 billion - 1,7 trillion dollar debts each year.
Although the stars do not speak, even in being silent they cry out. - John Calvin

Rolamec
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Rolamec » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:11 am

Not to mention, I'm happy that we are cutting stuff, but out of how much? I mean we have a $1.6 trillion dollar projected deficit, that's not the budget, that's the difference between how much we are getting in and how much we are spending. I mean Christ, this is like a 16 year old chick with a credit card making $100 a month and spending $500 or even more...I mean surely having a deficit, not a budget, a deficit of 10% of our GDP can't be good for our economy...
Rolamec of New Earth

Xomic
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 12, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Xomic » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:13 am

Rolamec wrote:
Xomic wrote:One wonders why they don't just raise taxes instead.

Because it means less money for people to spend....did we not learn anything from the Great Depression, when FDR tried raising taxes what was it in 37? 39? And caused a double dip? Anybody? ANYBODY!

Uh huh. Yet you can cut and cut and cut theses social programs all you want and still not address the fundamental problem of the united states undertaxing. In fact, you could the vast majority of social programs and still be deep in debt.
Political compass
Economic Left/Right: -6.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.21

Rolamec
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Rolamec » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:15 am

Xomic wrote:
Rolamec wrote:

Uh huh. Yet you can cut and cut and cut theses social programs all you want and still not address the fundamental problem of the united states undertaxing. In fact, you could the vast majority of social programs and still be deep in debt.

I agree. I don't know if raising the taxes is the answer, or perhaps reducing them and closing the gap for those who don't pay (which is essentially the same thing).
Rolamec of New Earth

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:17 am

Rolamec wrote:
Xomic wrote:

I agree. I don't know if raising the taxes is the answer, or perhaps reducing them and closing the gap for those who don't pay (which is essentially the same thing).

What does "closing the gap for those who don't pay" mean?
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Rolamec
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Rolamec » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:19 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Rolamec wrote:

What does "closing the gap for those who don't pay" mean?

Meaning there is something seriously flawed with only half of our country paying federal taxes, yet reaping the benefits from the other half which is paying..
Rolamec of New Earth

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:22 am

Rolamec wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:What does "closing the gap for those who don't pay" mean?

Meaning there is something seriously flawed with only half of our country paying federal taxes, yet reaping the benefits from the other half which is paying..

Perhaps, depending on definitions which I'm prepared to go into this morning, but I still don't get what it is you propose to do about.
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz

Rolamec
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Rolamec » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:24 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Rolamec wrote:

Perhaps, depending on definitions which I'm prepared to go into this morning, but I still don't get what it is you propose to do about.

I'd say the rates should be cut, everybody pays a bit, even if the lowest income earner is paying 1% -it's something, but it remains progressive (ability to pay), as a flat tax would be unfair. In short, reduce the rates, and get rid of all deductions, breaks, credits, etc.
Rolamec of New Earth

Alien Space Bats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Republican House Unveiled Proposed Cuts

Postby Alien Space Bats » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:29 am

Does anyone find it curious that their focus is on eliminating funding on regulatory enforcement in workplace and product safety (eg., FDA and FAA inspection), as well as those programs aimed at helping the poor become competitive in contemporary markets (WIC infant nutrition [think infant mental development], Head Start [think preschool education], Americorps, scholarships, etc.)?

Considering that cutting these programs will also take money out of the economy (by resulting in a reduction of government workers' salaries and/or layoffs), the argument that trying to make good the difference by increasing taxes on that top 2% seems remarkably hollow. Yes, some of those taxes taken would go into investment or product purchases if not taken; but (in addition to the loss of consumption spending by government workers and the poor) the reduction in human capital due to lost educational opportunities by the poor will also hurt the nation's economic position as well - and not just by keeping people from reaching their full productive potential, but by extending their future as persons who are essentially being carried by the system rather than being able to pull their own weight.

Indeed, increasing welfare dependency hardly seems to be a strategy well-suited to long-term deficit reduction, unless our long-term goal is to let people on welfare die. Is it?
"These states are just saying 'Yes, I used to beat my girlfriend, but I haven't since the restraining order, so we don't need it anymore.'" — Stephen Colbert, Comedian, on Shelby County v. Holder

"Do you see how policing blacks by the presumption of guilt and policing whites by the presumption of innocence is a self-reinforcing mechanism?" — Touré Neblett, MSNBC Commentator and Social Critic

"You knew damn well I was a snake before you took me in."Songwriter Oscar Brown in 1963, foretelling the election of Donald J. Trump

President Donald J. Trump: Working Tirelessly to Make Russia Great Again

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:30 am

Rolamec wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Perhaps, depending on definitions which I'm prepared to go into this morning, but I still don't get what it is you propose to do about.

I'd say the rates should be cut, everybody pays a bit, even if the lowest income earner is paying 1% -it's something, but it remains progressive (ability to pay), as a flat tax would be unfair. In short, reduce the rates, and get rid of all deductions, breaks, credits, etc.

Ah, okay, gotcha. Yeah, I suppose. It would certainly increase the need for more tax preparers.

Packville
Bureaucrat

Founded: Sep 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Packville » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:32 am

Abolish the income tax, do away with country-club prisons, and hit billionaire crooks (like Ken Lay) with fines of the sort that ancient Rome imposed on criminals. As long as it doesn't take more than 75% of their ill-gotten gains, it will not violate their 8th Amendment protection against excessive fines. You could get enough from Bernie Madoff alone to avoid a deficit this year.

Rolamec
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Rolamec » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:35 am

Packville wrote:Abolish the income tax, do away with country-club prisons, and hit billionaire crooks (like Ken Lay) with fines of the sort that ancient Rome imposed on criminals. As long as it doesn't take more than 75% of their ill-gotten gains, it will not violate their 8th Amendment protection against excessive fines. You could get enough from Bernie Madoff alone to avoid a deficit this year.

I'm pretty sure Madoff doesn't have a trillion and a half, and that 75% might be a bit high...
Rolamec of New Earth

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:37 am

Rolamec wrote:
Packville wrote:Abolish the income tax, do away with country-club prisons, and hit billionaire crooks (like Ken Lay) with fines of the sort that ancient Rome imposed on criminals. As long as it doesn't take more than 75% of their ill-gotten gains, it will not violate their 8th Amendment protection against excessive fines. You could get enough from Bernie Madoff alone to avoid a deficit this year.

I'm pretty sure Madoff doesn't have a trillion and a half, and that 75% might be a bit high...

And Ken Lay played the ultimate "get out of jail free" card. He died.

Packville
Bureaucrat

Founded: Sep 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Packville » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:40 am

Rolamec wrote:

As long as the punishment fits the crime, it isn't excessive. And if Madoff alone doesn't have enough, some of his partners in crime can make up the slack.

Another way to save money is to end the war on drugs, scrap the DEA altogether, and close about half of the federal prisons by granting a general amnesty to everyone convicted solely of non-violent drug offenses.
Last edited by Packville on Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Der Teutoniker
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 09, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Der Teutoniker » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:55 am

Herskerstad wrote:100 billion is nothing when running 500 billion - 1,7 trillion dollar debts each year.

No, it's something. And you have to start somewhere.
South Lorenya wrote:occasionally we get someone who has a rap sheet longer than Jormungandr

Austin Setzer wrote:We found a couple of ancient documents, turned them into the bible, and now its the symbol of christianity.

ARM Forces wrote:Strep-throat is an infection in the throat, caused by eating too much refined sugar! Rubbing more sugar directly on it is the worst thing you can possibly do.

Dumb Ideologies wrote:Communism and anarchy; same unachievable end, different impractical means.

Innsmothe
Senator

Founded: Sep 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Innsmothe » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:59 am

Cut the damned military budget, maybe it'll encourage a mor streamlined and impressive performance.
ان الذي فشل لقتلي فقط يجعلني غريب
"an aledy feshel leqtely feqt yej'eleny gheryeb"
Ronald Reagan: "Well, what do you believe in? Do you want to abolish the rich?"
Olof Palme, the Prime Minister of Sweden: "No, I want to abolish the poor."

Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: -7.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.54

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:01 am

Notice most if not all the cuts are aimed at social assistance of one form or another.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004

Postby Ashmoria » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:02 am

Luna Amore wrote:http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/02/11/house-republicans-unveil-dramatic-spending-cuts/

The House Republicans are proposing the biggest reduction package in history, five times bigger than any before it. I'm really confused how anyone thought this was a good idea. Under this, over 100 programs would be completely canceled including AmeriCorps, Teach For America, and scholarships. The aim is to cut 100 billion, but my first thought was, couldn't you cut 100 billion from the defense budget alone? If I remember correctly, that went over a trillion last year.

Thoughts on this? Good, bad? Do you think Americans will support this? Will this die or will the Democrats compromise?

The Department of Agriculture’s budget would see a 22% reduction compared with current spending levels: $88 million in cuts for Food Safety and Inspection; a $747 million cut in nutrition programs for women and children; a $241 million cut at the FDA.

what? you dont think that its right to let babies starve so that the rich can keep their tax cuts?
whatever

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:03 am

Gauthier wrote:Notice most if not all the cuts are aimed at social assistance of one form or another.

Just defending the American tax-payer. ;) Saint Ronnie would be proud.

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004

Postby Ashmoria » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:03 am

Gauthier wrote:Notice most if not all the cuts are aimed at social assistance of one form or another.

we are not supposed to notice that its CLASS WARFARE.

its only class warfare when the rich might lose a few dollars.
whatever

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:04 am

Ashmoria wrote:
Luna Amore wrote:http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/02/11/house-republicans-unveil-dramatic-spending-cuts/

The Department of Agriculture’s budget would see a 22% reduction compared with current spending levels: $88 million in cuts for Food Safety and Inspection; a $747 million cut in nutrition programs for women and children; a $241 million cut at the FDA.

what? you dont think that its right to let babies starve so that the rich can keep their tax cuts?

Kids who can't pick the right parents don't deserve my sacred tax dollars for food.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General