NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Repeal "On Abortion"

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Mahaj WA Seat
Minister

Founded: Nov 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj WA Seat » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:32 pm

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:
Mahaj WA Seat wrote:I think we should at least see the newest draft before jumping to conclusions.

Who knows. Opinions could change.

All I can say is, this new draft better be a good one...

I understand, honoured ambassador, but there is a fear that CD's ambassador could exploit their draft repeal to shove restrictive alternatives down the throats of countries that practice life-saving abortions.

Wow. This has got to be the most popular proposal that never has come up to vote. Please, save us from your ill timed panic.

The Cat-Tribe wrote:I will save more substantive remarks for if or when CD posts an actual viable draft of a repeal. Then, no doubt, I will have many objections.

I can only hope that CD's new repeal won't be as disingenuous, contradictory, and untruthful as the last attempt.

Thanks for at least waiting and not showing the same sort of jumping foolery that many other delegations have shown.
Member of The South and Osiris
Representing Mahaj in the World Assembly.
The Mahaj Factbook.

Author of Missing Minors Act (Repealed) and In Regards to Cloning
Mike the Progressive wrote:
Brogavia wrote:Fuck bitches, get money.
You shall be my god.

Georgism wrote:Fuck off you cunt, I'm always nice.

NERVUN wrote:Yog zap!

Cool Egg Sandwich wrote:I am the Urinater..... I'll be back.

Jedi Utopians wrote:5) Now, saying that a nation couldn't be part of OPEC would be bold. AIPEC sounds like something you'd want to get checked out by a physician for.

The Cat-Tribe
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 18, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Cat-Tribe » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:37 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:
Ardchoille wrote:10. Requires that all abortions be performed by surgeons. No it doesn’t. It says that all abortions must be performed by physicians trained to “the same accepted medical standards” that surgeons are. These are not necessarily the same thing (for example, a doctor could be trained to that standard only for abortions, the way nurse practitioners are trained to perform and treat some "doctor-standard" diagnoses, such as asthma or diabetes).

Nor does OA specify that a physician or surgeon who is trained to perform surgical abortions has to perform only surgical abortions. Nor does it say that, because they are trained to do surgical abortions, they are rendered unable to prescribe an emergency contraceptive, anti-implantation or abortifacient drug.

This clause goes beyond acceptable rhetoric, to the stage of “the Resolution you’re repealing doesn’t say the thing you’re repealing it for”. Illegal.

I'm not going to make any edits until I resume this proposal; however, I do want to clarify this proposal's tenth concern. Section 4 of "On Abortion" says:
FURTHER MANDATES that physicians who carry out abortions must be trained to the same accepted medical standards that all surgeons are held to, and that abortions are carried out in a way that is as painless as possible while preserving the mother's physical health

My tenth concern says:
Section 4 requires all abortions to be performed by surgeons even though not all abortions are surgical. This provision makes it more difficult for women to access abortifacients such as mifepristone. This clause also limits women’s access to emergency contraception in nations where pregnancy is defined as beginning at fertilization.

Even if a physician is "trained to that [surgical] standard only for abortions," that doctor still is a surgeon because of his/her ability to perform a kind of surgery. Not all surgeons know how to perform all surgeries.

I never said (my proposal doesn't say) that such doctors could perform only surgical abortions nor did I say that "On Abortion" "rendered [such doctors] unable to prescribe an emergency contraceptive, anti-implantation or abortifacient drug." (Let me just note that emergency contraception and abortifacient drugs are different things. :geek: )

My proposal says that Section 4 of "On Abortion" renders other kinds of doctors, such as general practicioners and psychiatrists, unable to prescribe abortifacient drugs. This is a limitation that makes it more difficult for those pregnant to obtain drugs necessary to induce abortion. Such women now can receive prescriptions only from certain kinds of doctors, who may be overrun and, hence, unable to meet with these women in a timely manner. Because only certain kinds of doctors can prescribe such drugs, such women may have to wait to abort. (Later abortions have more potential complications than abortions that occur earlier in pregnancy.)

Under "On Abortion," drugs that prevent the implantation of fertilized ova are more difficult to obtain in nations that define pregnancy as beginning at fertilization. Whereas postcoital contraception could be obtained (in certain places) over-the-counter before "On Abortion," such contraception now requires a prescription. Because of this barrier, "On Abortion" does, in fact, limit "women’s access to emergency contraception" because such women now need to see a doctor before procuring morning after pills. (By the time she makes an appointment, etc., her fertilized ovum probably already has implanted if implantation is going to occur at all. This, however, assumes that fertilization even occurred in the first place. A woman may have to go to all the trouble to see a doctor when a sperm may have not even fertilized her egg.)

Thank you for taking the time to post a detailed analysis of and opinion on my proposal.

This argument for the legality of Clause 10 is flawed and involved exactly the type of verbal gymnastics and line-blurring that led to the original Mod ruling against the clause.

CD makes huge leaps in logic and linguistics in equating "all doctors who carry out abortions" with any physician who prescribes emergency contraception or even an abortifacient.

CD makes similar huge leaps in logic and linguistics in equating "must be trained to the same accepted medical standards that all surgeons are held to" and "must be performed or prescribed by a surgeon."

CD's argument about emergency contraception also fails the reasonable definition standard. Yes, a nation that wished to ban abortion and not implement "On Abortion" in good faith might try to use the language in a way to interfere with emergency contraception -- if it considered emergency contraception to be a form of abortion and wanted to ban it. But that is not reasonable. Also any nation so inclined would, in the absence of "On Abortion," ban such emergency contraception anyway.

This is a cynical, disingenuous argument that defies what "On Abortion" actually says. The ruling that it is illegal should stick.
I quit (again).
The Altani Confederacy wrote:
The Cat-Tribe wrote:With that, I am done with these shenanigans. Do as thou wilt.

Can't miss you until you're gone, Ambassador. Seriously, your delegation is like one of those stores that has a "Going Out Of Business" sale for twenty years. Stay or go, already.*snip*
"Don't give me no shit because . . . I've been Tired . . ." ~ Pixies
With that, "he put his boots on, he took a face from the Ancient Gallery, and he walked on down the Hall . . ."

The Cat-Tribe
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Cat-Tribe » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:41 pm

Mahaj WA Seat wrote:
Charlotte Ryberg wrote:I understand, honoured ambassador, but there is a fear that CD's ambassador could exploit their draft repeal to shove restrictive alternatives down the throats of countries that practice life-saving abortions.

Wow. This has got to be the most popular proposal that never has come up to vote. Please, save us from your ill timed panic.

The Cat-Tribe wrote:I will save more substantive remarks for if or when CD posts an actual viable draft of a repeal. Then, no doubt, I will have many objections.

I can only hope that CD's new repeal won't be as disingenuous, contradictory, and untruthful as the last attempt.

Thanks for at least waiting and not showing the same sort of jumping foolery that many other delegations have shown.

Let us be clear: CD does plan to repeal "On Abortion" and replace it with something that restricts abortions, at the cost of lives. He made that clear before. His signature re-affirms that commitment.
I quit (again).
The Cat-Tribe wrote:With that, I am done with these shenanigans. Do as thou wilt.

Can't miss you until you're gone, Ambassador. Seriously, your delegation is like one of those stores that has a "Going Out Of Business" sale for twenty years. Stay or go, already.*snip*
With that, "he put his boots on, he took a face from the Ancient Gallery, and he walked on down the Hall . . ."

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:53 pm

The Cat-Tribe wrote:
Mahaj WA Seat wrote:Wow. This has got to be the most popular proposal that never has come up to vote. Please, save us from your ill timed panic.

Let us be clear: CD does plan to repeal "On Abortion" and replace it with something that restricts abortions, at the cost of lives. He made that clear before. His signature re-affirms that commitment.
Huh? My signature is advertising a region/regional alliance committed to repealing On Abortion and opposing any legislation to liberalize international abortion law in the future. If a repeal passes, I won't try to install any unreasonable restrictions. Remember a repeal can't do anything but reverse previously adopted legislation.

(There are some reasonable restrictions that the GA could pass after a repeal such as limiting abortions to being performed by physicians, informed consent, and allowing physicians to opt out of having to perform abortions for moral/ethical reasons.)
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

Dilange
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 09, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Dilange » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:59 pm

The Cat-Tribe wrote:
Huh? My signature is advertising a region/regional alliance committed to repealing On Abortion and opposing any legislation to liberalize international abortion law in the future. If a repeal passes, I won't try to install any unreasonable restrictions. Remember a repeal can't do anything but reverse previously adopted legislation.

(There are some reasonable restrictions that the GA could pass after a repeal such as limiting abortions to being performed by physicians, informed consent, and allowing physicians to opt out of having to perform abortions for moral/ethical reasons.)

Lets end this once and for all......Abortion is a female decision.

Government, pro-dominantly patriarchally ruled, seems to make this decision for women which is a sign of men being superior. Leave this as an individual choice. This has nothing to do with any religion nor policy....in fact I dont think that government has a right to tell people what to do with their bodies. Its natural rights and all people have these rights. THe government, especially the WA, has no right mandating some resolution that restricts a person from doing something with their own body.
Last edited by Dilange on Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Cat-Tribe
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Cat-Tribe » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:02 pm

The Cat-Tribe wrote:

Meh. It was a fair comment based on your past activity on this subject and the fact that there is nothing really wrong with "On Abortion." The only purpose for making objections you don't even really believe in is that you want to tear down the reasonable, limited protections provided for by "On Abortion."

Also, your "reasonable restrictions" aren't reasonable. They are buzzwords. Informed consent tends to be lies and scare tactics. On Abortion already limits abortions to physicians -- and you've argued against that! Similarly, "On Abortion" already allows physicians to opt out of performing abortions.
I quit (again).

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:02 pm

Dilange wrote:Leave this as a nation's choice
I agree.
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Dilange
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Dilange » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:03 pm

Dilange wrote:Leave this as a nation's choice
I agree.

Wasnt the point.....the point was its an individual's own choice that should not be banned by religion or law. If not leave it as a choice for the individual nation.
Last edited by Dilange on Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Terishany
Envoy

Founded: Jun 13, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Terishany » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:08 pm

Abortions only in the case of a woman's life in danger. No more.
Young Conservative Christian. But I enjoy talking with anyone!

Dilange
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Dilange » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:09 pm

Terishany wrote:Abortions only in the case of a woman's life in danger. No more.

How about whenever the women feels like it? Government has no authority to tell people what to do with their bodies.

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:12 pm

The Cat-Tribe wrote:

Ambassador from Christian Democrats, you previously attempted to ban late-term abortion back in January: late-term was ill defined meaning that there was a loophole. In addition, your draft did not explicitly protect cases where the decision to perform an abortion is a matter of life or death for the pregnant woman (highlighted for emphasis). This is why Ms. Harper had to step in.

Therefore, Ambassador, there is nothing wrong with On Abortion. On Abortion did not bias itself towards any faith. In fact the right for an individual, regardless of faith, to get a life-saving abortion, if they wish, is currently protected from interference by anti-abortion governments, just as much as the Freedom of Expression.

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:15 pm

The Cat-Tribe wrote:
Christian Democrats wrote:Huh? My signature is advertising a region/regional alliance committed to repealing On Abortion and opposing any legislation to liberalize international abortion law in the future. If a repeal passes, I won't try to install any unreasonable restrictions. Remember a repeal can't do anything but reverse previously adopted legislation.

Meh. It was a fair comment based on your past activity on this subject and the fact that there is nothing really wrong with "On Abortion." The only purpose for making objections you don't even really believe in is that you want to tear down the reasonable, limited protections provided for by "On Abortion."

Also, your "reasonable restrictions" aren't reasonable. They are buzzwords. Informed consent tends to be lies and scare tactics. On Abortion already limits abortions to physicians -- and you've argued against that! Similarly, "On Abortion" already allows physicians to opt out of performing abortions.
Exactly. Those are the parts I'd keep. (The doctor's provision needs some changing, though, because the current "surgeon" restriction doesn't make any sense.)

The other provisions of On Abortion are why I wish to repeal the resolution:
  • Legalization of elective abortion for minors thereby encouraging irresponsibility
  • Allowance of older women to abort children they conceived from illegally engaging in sexual intercourse with pubescent boys
  • Allowance of certain abortions even when the fetus is viable and labor induction is an option
  • Unspecific "foetal abnormality" loophole
  • Unspecific mental health loophole
  • Execution of On Abortion with respect to loner women
  • Next-of-kin deciding in certain cases when they shouldn't have the power to request abortions

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

The Cat-Tribe
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Cat-Tribe » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:42 pm

The Cat-Tribe wrote:

Exactly. Those are the parts I'd keep. (The doctor's provision needs some changing, though, because the current "surgeon" restriction doesn't make any sense.)

The other provisions of On Abortion are why I wish to repeal the resolution:
  • Legalization of elective abortion for minors thereby encouraging irresponsibility
  • Allowance of older women to abort children they conceived from illegally engaging in sexual intercourse with pubescent boys
  • Allowance of certain abortions even when the fetus is viable and labor induction is an option
  • Unspecific "foetal abnormality" loophole
  • Unspecific mental health loophole
  • Execution of On Abortion with respect to loner women
  • Next-of-kin deciding in certain cases when they shouldn't have the power to request abortions

You've already been shown ad naseum to be wrong about each of these "concerns" (in this thread! -- see, e.g., link) and you aren't being honest about your true objections to "On Abortion."

When you have a new draft, we can discuss things. Until then, you are wasting everyone's time.
I quit (again).

Jedi8246
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Jedi8246 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:18 pm

Dilange wrote:
Christian Democrats wrote:I agree.

Wasnt the point.....the point was its an individual's own choice that should not be banned by religion or law. If not leave it as a choice for the individual nation.

The Republic of Jedi8246 seconds that decision. Though we would not be opposed to legislation mandating abortion in the case of danger to the women. On Abortion does more than that, and thus we support the repeal of it.

Sir William Hemsworth
Jedi8246 WA Representative
8th Degree Knight of the First Jedi8246 Templar
Last edited by Jedi8246 on Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Official Member of the Fall of Gods RP Council
Conservative Morality wrote:When you call Bieber feminine, you insult all women.

Agadar wrote:Next thing you know, God turns out to be some weird green space monster with tentacles and a monocle.

Khadgar wrote:Oddly enough, a lot of people who are plotting to harm other people aren't really interested in legal niceties.
Rank #87 in World Cup
Factbook
Jedi8246 is a far-right social libertarian. He is also a non-interventionist and somewhat culturally conservative. Jedi8246's scores (from 0 to 10):
Economic issues: +9.53 right
Social issues: -7.91 libertarian
Foreign policy: -7.32 non-interventionist
Cultural identification: +0.92 conservative

Eternal Yerushalayim
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Eternal Yerushalayim » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:34 pm

Dilange wrote:
Terishany wrote:Abortions only in the case of a woman's life in danger. No more.

How about whenever the women feels like it? Government has no authority to tell people what to do with their bodies.

Well, it'd better not be because "it's not a boy". Because that has nothing to do with their bodies.
"The trouble with Socialism is that you eventually run out of other people's money."-Margaret Thatcher
"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe. " -Saint Augustine
"Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."-Albert Einstein
"The first and simplest emotion which we discover in the human mind, is curiosity." -Edmund Burke

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:43 am

Jedi8246 wrote:
Dilange wrote:

The Republic of Jedi8246 seconds that decision. Though we would not be opposed to legislation mandating abortion in the case of danger to the women. On Abortion does more than that, and thus we support the repeal of it.

Sir William Hemsworth
Jedi8246 WA Representative
8th Degree Knight of the First Jedi8246 Templar

As far as the best of my knowledge, the resolution concerned covers all possible essential cases, as well as standards and consent. Simple.

Hirota
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 22, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Hirota » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:50 am

I'm hoping we can have a well reasoned draft to debate over rather than a draft overflowing with hyperbole and misrepresentation.
When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger - Confucius
Known to trigger Grammar Nazis, Spelling Nazis, Actual Nazis, the emotionally stunted and pedants.
Those affected by the views, opinions or general demeanour of this poster should review this puppy picture. Those affected by puppy pictures should consider investing in an isolation tank.

Economic Left/Right: -3.25, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.03
Isn't it curious how people will claim they are against tribalism, then pigeonhole themselves into tribes?

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
I use obviously in italics to emphasise the conveying of sarcasm. If I've put excessive obviously's into a post that means I'm being sarcastic

Moronist Decisions
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2008
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Moronist Decisions » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:57 am

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:As far as the best of my knowledge, the resolution concerned covers all possible essential cases, as well as standards and consent. Simple.

We agree with Ms. Harper. Honestly, beyond that, what you do is your business in your nation.
Plus, in a more moralistic nation than ours, we believe that these rights won't be used that readily.

Jane Cockcroft, BA
Intern
Note: Unless specifically specified, my comments shall be taken as those purely of Moronist Decisions and do not represent the views of the Republic/Region of Europeia.

Member of Europeia
Ideological Bulwark #255
IntSane: International Sanity for All

Author of GAR#194, GAR#198 and GAR#203.

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

NEW ROUGH DRAFT

Postby Christian Democrats » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:49 am

Moderators,

I no longer need clarification on the ruling issued in January. I've written a new draft without those clauses.

I'll post the new draft later today. I still need to do some proofreading and revision.

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Ardchoille
Retired Moderator

Founded: Apr 18, 2004
Democratic Socialists

Postby Ardchoille » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:53 am

For the sake of clarity and ease of access, closing this thread, then. While separate threads for each new draft are forbidden, this sounds like a substantially new repeal, so let's give it its own thread.
Ideological Bulwark #35
The more scandalous charges were suppressed; the vicar of Christ was accused only of piracy, rape, sodomy, murder and incest. -- Edward Gibbon on the schismatic Pope John XXIII (1410–1415).

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly