NATION

PASSWORD

[Passed] Extinction Preparation Act

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Independent Tzunguton
Political Columnist

Founded: Sep 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Independent Tzunguton » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:31 pm

II.EMPOWERS staff scientists to research advanced methods of artificial insemination, in vitro fertilization, embryo transfer, cloning and efficient horticultural replenishment, as well as the study of keystone species and methods for rebuilding ecosystems.

Infact, yes, this resolution does include cloning. "Artificial insemination, in vitro fertilization, embryo transfer, cloning"? These are unnatural routes towards preservation, and if the world cannot be preserved by conventional, natural means, i.e. : traditional doctoring of patients; improved constuction that can withstand earthquakes; etcetera, instead of pumping billions of dollars into a program that dare I say is researching into areas of science fiction.
His Excellency, Chairman of the Revolutionary Administrative Authority Committee, General Field Marshal Vaul'Utto Radakh

The Associated Peoples
Envoy

Founded: Oct 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Associated Peoples » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:43 pm

Independent Tzunguton wrote:
II.EMPOWERS staff scientists to research advanced methods of artificial insemination, in vitro fertilization, embryo transfer, cloning and efficient horticultural replenishment, as well as the study of keystone species and methods for rebuilding ecosystems.

Infact, yes, this resolution does include cloning. "Artificial insemination, in vitro fertilization, embryo transfer, cloning"? These are unnatural routes towards preservation, and if the world cannot be preserved by conventional, natural means, i.e. : traditional doctoring of patients; improved constuction that can withstand earthquakes; etcetera, instead of pumping billions of dollars into a program that dare I say is researching into areas of science fiction.

I would have to argue that these are indeed not science fiction.We are perfectly capable of preforming these procedures.It just isn't perfected yet.With great scientific minds working together the potential is there.As far as traditional medicine goes at one time germs were science fiction.If one was sick or mentally ill it was attributed to the four humors and the person was bled which made ailments worse and served to hasten their demise. Without scientific research/advancement and sharing of knowledge that is where we would still be.That at one time was considered conventional medicine. Fortunately times have changed and progress has been made past that barbaric point.We can progress so much further.By your logic medicine in of itself is unnatural.Would you rather us regress to that "natural" point?
The Ambassador Elect of The Political Efficiency Accord Dr.Nigel Roosevelt author of GA Resolution #126Extinction Preparation Act
Economic Left/Right: -0.88 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.97
Warzone Codger wrote:Well this is surely an interesting voting spilt.

You've beaten all 5 Feeders, XKI, Region Inc, Capitalist Paradise, (and edit: Gatesville) (the latter 4 being user regions who have more endos than one feeder) ALL voting against.
Intellect and the Arts wrote:Have you ever considered that there exist perspectives other than your own and equally as valid, or do you claim infallible omniscience by virtue of the houseboat you lovingly inhabit on de Nial?
Memebr of the WASO

The Associated Peoples
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Associated Peoples » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:02 pm

Drinks are on me at the strangers bar.Thank you honorable ambassadors for the debate and support.
The Ambassador Elect of The Political Efficiency Accord Dr.Nigel Roosevelt author of GA Resolution #126Extinction Preparation Act

You've beaten all 5 Feeders, XKI, Region Inc, Capitalist Paradise, (and edit: Gatesville) (the latter 4 being user regions who have more endos than one feeder) ALL voting against.
Intellect and the Arts wrote:Have you ever considered that there exist perspectives other than your own and equally as valid, or do you claim infallible omniscience by virtue of the houseboat you lovingly inhabit on de Nial?
Memebr of the WASO

Buried Plows
Civil Servant

Founded: Oct 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Buried Plows » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:15 pm

One crooked tooth gleams as he raises a glass of gin

My most esteemed Premiere Randolphs and more generous Mr. Levi are excellent colleagues and makes everyday a pleasure. I have been watching these debates with pride, and I feel nothing but honor and respect for the intelligence and courage of my Delegate, as well as the coauthor. Yes yes, one is a little more [beat]
looks into the air and thinks a touch
less cordial than the other, but we need all kind do we not? Plus give him some whiskey at a party and my, my, my, he is the Fatty Arbuckle of fun [beat] or is that me?
laughs rather loudly, echoing throughout the hall. Puts his hand to one side of his face in a whisper motion
Mr. Levi is an abstainer, but provides excellent conversation [beat] when he is not working with his laptop out.

This bill is an important piece of legislation that touches upon the heart of our Nations, it the very environment we live in and that which we could not do without. As my regions knows I am not the most [beat] well let me be blunt, paranoia becomes a dictator, but this bill caused me no qualms for if you cannot trust the WA then why are you in it?

Looks appalled and offended.

When LouLou's Amusement has water slides, leading to a pool with a water fall and swim up bars? Oh how you mock me...oh how you shame me!
Last edited by Buried Plows on Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Associated Peoples
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Associated Peoples » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:20 pm

Honorable Mr. Yale I thank you for your kind words now let's hit the bar and see who turns into Fatty Arbuckle first!! :)

Memebr of the WASO

Zarvarza
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Zarvarza » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:26 pm

where does one go to learn how to write resolutions to repeal rediculous legislation such as this?

Jedi Utopians
Envoy

Founded: Dec 28, 2010
Ex-Nation

OOC: WA Resolution impacts

Postby Jedi Utopians » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:30 pm

OOC: Just for the record, guys, I have definitive proof that the FAQ is correct--these resolutions do affect more than just stats, they affect our taxes. Resolution 17 be damned--the game engine will impose higher taxes on your country if resolutions requiring funding get passed.

Oddly, immediately after the resolution was passed, I got a new issue: Cloning research! Dismiss!

Have fun at the bar. Time to get to work!
The honorable Son Rai, envoy of the Republic Council
Economic Left/Right: -4.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.10
"Think: Christ, Gandhi, or Mr. Rogers."
--
Me: You're funny. Naive, but funny.
Jedi8246: I fail to see the humor. Or how I am naive.
--

Lykosia
Minister

Founded: Jul 06, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Lykosia » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:38 pm

Jedi Utopians wrote:OOC: Just for the record, guys, I have definitive proof that the FAQ is correct--these resolutions do affect more than just stats, they affect our taxes. Resolution 17 be damned--the game engine will impose higher taxes on your country if resolutions requiring funding get passed.

Oddly, immediately after the resolution was passed, I got a new issue: Cloning research! Dismiss!

Cloning research? :eyebrow:

Zarvarza
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Zarvarza » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:38 pm

Totally Bogus Resolution... If there is a large extinction level event, then obviously humans would likely die too. thus a complete waste of money.

The Associated Peoples
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Associated Peoples » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:45 pm

Zarvarza wrote:Totally Bogus Resolution... If there is a large extinction level event, then obviously humans would likely die too. thus a complete waste of money.

I should point out that there are more than just humans and there is more than just one planet represented by the WA.Also humans are allot more resilient than you give them credit for after all we did survive an ice age or two and that was way before we had all these modern conveniences.
Jedi Utopians wrote:OOC: Just for the record, guys, I have definitive proof that the FAQ is correct--these resolutions do affect more than just stats, they affect our taxes. Resolution 17 be damned--the game engine will impose higher taxes on your country if resolutions requiring funding get passed.

Oddly that being the case my taxes actually came down by 2% from 39% to 37%.

Memebr of the WASO

Jedi Utopians
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Jedi Utopians » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:00 am

The Associated Peoples wrote:
Zarvarza wrote:Totally Bogus Resolution... If there is a large extinction level event, then obviously humans would likely die too. thus a complete waste of money.

I should point out that there are more than just humans and there is more than just one planet represented by the WA.Also humans are allot more resilient than you give them credit for after all we did survive an ice age or two and that was way before we had all these modern conveniences.

Oddly that being the case my taxes actually came down by 2% from 39% to 37%.[/quote

OOC: Interesting; That skews the results, and leads me to a new hypothesis. Need more data. Thanks for sharing!
--
--

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Rich Port » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:10 am

I smell an insta-repeal in the works... :palm:
THOSE THAT SOW THORNS SHOULD NOT EXPECT FLOWERS
CONSERVATISM IS FEAR AND STAGNATION AS IDEOLOGY. ONLY MARCH FORWARD.

Pronouns: She/Her
The Alt-Right Playbook
Alt-right/racist terminology
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Lykosia
Minister

Founded: Jul 06, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Lykosia » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:18 am

The Rich Port wrote:I smell an insta-repeal in the works... :palm:

very unfortunate if they do

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:19 am

Lykosia wrote:

very unfortunate if they do

I know for a fact Jedi Utopians nor Zarwakka aren't exactly caliber writers... But I've seen worse pass into quorum. :eek:

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

The Associated Peoples
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Associated Peoples » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:21 am

I would not be surprised if an attempt were made.The opposition was quite strong.

Memebr of the WASO

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:30 am

The Associated Peoples wrote:
I would not be surprised if an attempt were made.The opposition was quite strong.

Swear to God people swallowed their paranoia pills today

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Zerconus
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Zerconus » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:37 am

Independent Tzunguton wrote:Infact, yes, this resolution does include cloning. "Artificial insemination, in vitro fertilization, embryo transfer, cloning"? These are unnatural routes towards preservation, and if the world cannot be preserved by conventional, natural means, i.e. : traditional doctoring of patients; improved constuction that can withstand earthquakes; etcetera, instead of pumping billions of dollars into a program that dare I say is researching into areas of science fiction.

Yes, I became aware of this after The Associated Peoples quoted it. However, as this facility is already being commissioned, I'm sure that your country's representatives can request that no Cloning techniques be used for their specimens, or even just a return of samples sent so your teams can decide what to do with it. All the facility wants is the specimens to store and study until your nations asks for aid in reviving lost species. Or you can abstain and have your extinct species lost forever. I for one wonder what a Dodo would taste like? Or if my cloned one was off somehow.
The Zerconus Factbook- Almost Completed
“Strength Through Work, Freedom Through Entertainment.”
Defense Condition - 5

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mousebumples » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:43 am

The Rich Port wrote:I know for a fact Jedi Utopians nor Zarwakka aren't exactly caliber writers... But I've seen worse pass into quorum. :eek:

OOC: I don't know your thoughts on my "caliber" of proposal authoring, but I may be willing to try authoring my first GA repeal based on this baby.

However, I'll probably wait until my cold passes since I'm not terribly confident at my coherency ability at this moment.
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:19 am

Mousebumples wrote:OOC: I don't know your thoughts on my "caliber" of proposal authoring, but I may be willing to try authoring my first GA repeal based on this baby.

I really don't understand what the big deal is. This proposal promotes cloning and fertility research and preserves the genetic information of species. This is done in the real world. The idea was also already pushed forward by the World Assembly itself -- the Food Welfare Act contains a seedbank and emergency crop farms, which is the plant equivalent of this resolution.

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:26 am

The Rich Port wrote:I wonder why the voter turnout was so thorough... :blink:

This has gotta be the most I've seen people vote on the WA

It could be the new WA vote notification deal that [violet] added recently.

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mousebumples » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:46 am

Glen-Rhodes wrote:
Mousebumples wrote:OOC: I don't know your thoughts on my "caliber" of proposal authoring, but I may be willing to try authoring my first GA repeal based on this baby.

I really don't understand what the big deal is. This proposal promotes cloning and fertility research and preserves the genetic information of species. This is done in the real world. The idea was also already pushed forward by the World Assembly itself -- the Food Welfare Act contains a seedbank and emergency crop farms, which is the plant equivalent of this resolution.

My problem is not with the general premise of the proposal - it's rather with the lack of specificity of the proposal itself. I would support a repeal and replace effort that would tighten up much of the wording in this proposal's text.
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:37 pm

Mousebumples wrote:My problem is not with the general premise of the proposal - it's rather with the lack of specificity of the proposal itself. I would support a repeal and replace effort that would tighten up much of the wording in this proposal's text.

What's wrong with the wording? When the proposal was specific, the author was cautioned to make the language more vague.

The Associated Peoples
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Associated Peoples » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:23 pm

Glen-Rhodes wrote:
Mousebumples wrote:My problem is not with the general premise of the proposal - it's rather with the lack of specificity of the proposal itself. I would support a repeal and replace effort that would tighten up much of the wording in this proposal's text.

What's wrong with the wording? When the proposal was specific, the author was cautioned to make the language more vague.
That is very true.It was brought to my attention that the methods that are employed in my own nation could be considered low tech when compared to others.I conceded the point out.As it turns out this was the correct thing to do.

Memebr of the WASO

The Associated Peoples
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Associated Peoples » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:49 pm

Flibbleites wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:I wonder why the voter turnout was so thorough... :blink:

This has gotta be the most I've seen people vote on the WA

It could be the new WA vote notification deal that [violet] added recently.
Yes that is more than likely it.I think this was a great idea. :clap:

Memebr of the WASO

Jedi Utopians
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Jedi Utopians » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:52 pm

Glen-Rhodes wrote:

As a person who strives to see "unforeseen consequences" and deal with them before they happen, I believe the advice to make the language vague was unwise, or worse, driven by an ulterior motive, perhaps unknown even to the person giving that advice. My original argument against this resolution dealt with the lack of specificity regarding the research, and as the debate went on, many more concerns manifested themselves. It would be a travesty, not the first, if, under the guise of "WASP research," illegal biological weapons were developed--completely unexpectedly, I'm sure. I do not believe reasonable caution is "paranoia." Instead, I believe that ambition finds a way to work in vague places, often to undo the very thing well-meaning people set out to accomplish.

OOC: And if you're a militaristic RPer, send your thanks to the Associated Peoples, c/o Dr. Nigel!

I am flattered by the suggestion, regardless of the spirit it was given in, that my delegation might craft a repeal to this resolution. We are a young nation, and it would be most unwise to attempt to craft any legislation for this body, repeal or otherwise, without more experience in the process and a better understanding of the aims and motivations of those assembled. Nevertheless, if a "repeal and replace" process were to be attempted, It would be an honor to be involved, and I encourage all of my fellow delegates to participate in the democratic process.
--
--

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives