NATION

PASSWORD

London or New York?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Which City is Better?

London
52%
New York
48%

Total votes : 181

Megady
Attaché

Founded: Mar 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Megady » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:56 am

New York because its in my favorite place ever, The United States!;)

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:29 pm

I've worked in both

Climate, NY has wider temperature variation but doesn't suffer the smog/fog problems London does.winner toss-up

food, you just cant get good Mexican food in London but i've had Tai and Bavarian food at 3am in the apple. winner NY

diversity, well NY does host th UN, but that kinda makes it unfair, but even dismissing that the sheer religious diversity in NY trumps jolly old england, winner NY

Sports, you can talk about the the Yankees, the Nicks and The mets but the sheer commitment Londoners offer their rugby and soccer teams has to give them the win, winner London

architecture, Now NY has some stunning vistas but a past of monarchy has left its mark on London, the sheer dearth and abundance of building styles makes London my favorite, winner London

Wealth, the apple and the smoker have been leading competitors for yeas for who has the better finances, that said in the last ten years NY has managed to have an average of twice London's GDP. winner NY

Crime, while I'd like to wade in on this I really haven't experienced a difference, I know NY has the lowest crime rate among large US cities but London could very well match up so I'm calling this no winner. winner the human race.

public transport, while both have a subway NY's is open 24/7. bicycles are exceedingly popular in both, but I did see more in use in London
both have massive bus system and feature three airports (althoug NY is adding a fourth). I really want to give this one to NY because of the nicer subway but its just not enough if I'm being fair so winner nobody

in conclusion London 2, NY 3, and the City That Never Sleeps beats the City on The Thames.
I think we risk becoming the best informed society that has ever died of ignorance. ~Reuben Blades

I got quite annoyed after the Haiti earthquake. A baby was taken from the wreckage and people said it was a miracle. It would have been a miracle had God stopped the earthquake. More wonderful was that a load of evolved monkeys got together to save the life of a child that wasn't theirs. ~Terry Pratchett

The Parthians
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 14, 2004
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby The Parthians » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:32 pm

New York has quite literally everything ever conceived of on Earth.

Seriously. Delivery Afghan food. London doesn't have that,

Therefore, New York.
"And as you approach Parthia's prisons..."What's that buzzing noise, a factory?"
"No, that's all the carrion flies near the prison."
-New Edom

Because profit is more important than morality, obviously.

Lacadaemon
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Lacadaemon » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:58 pm

Sociobiology wrote:food, you just cant get good Mexican food in London

You really can't in NYC either to be quite honest. It's quite notorious for that in fact.
The kind of middle-class mentality which actuates both those responsible for strategy and government has little knowledge of the new psychology and organizing ability of the totalitarian States. The forces we are fighting are governed neither by the old strategy nor follow the old tactics.

Great Valencia
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 13, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Valencia » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:58 pm

The Parthians wrote:New York has quite literally everything ever conceived of on Earth.

Therefore, New York.

Check it for bombs first
DEFCON 5
I will now go back to my easier habits of threatening to slice babies in half in order to find who the true mother is.- The Archregimancy
One other thing: There's no rule against profanity, but there IS a rule against spam. Bear that in mind, motherfuckers. - Lunatic Goofballs
"They. Are. Alive. Too." So are bacteria. I feel no pity when I use hand sanitizer.
-Conservative Morality
I hope they don't ban it. Going to the airport is the only time I can get anyone to feel me up anymore. -Minoriteeburg
"I'd find the tallest cliff I could, stand on the edge naked and hope I was sucked off." -Fartsniffage
Military Size: 46.2 Million (1%)

Londim
Minister

Founded: May 23, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Londim » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:31 am

Sociobiology wrote:I've worked in both

Climate, NY has wider temperature variation but doesn't suffer the smog/fog problems London does.winner toss-up

Smog? I don't think London has suffered from smog for a long time.
YES. I have returned.
Now a writer over at The Sixth Axis.

Tokos
Senator

Founded: Oct 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Tokos » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:37 am

Both of them need a flamethrower. Both are filthy and diseased but in different ways.
The Confederal Fasces of Tokos

Economic Left/Right: -6.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.05

Unchecked Expansion
Negotiator

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Unchecked Expansion » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:43 am

Tokos wrote:Both of them need a flamethrower. Both are filthy and diseased but in different ways.

Filthy and diseased? Sure, they both pretty much have the full range of human experience, from poverty to insane wealth, with all the crime and suffering that entails. But they're also full of all the good parts of humanity

Tokos
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Tokos » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:45 am

Unchecked Expansion wrote:
Tokos wrote:Both of them need a flamethrower. Both are filthy and diseased but in different ways.

Filthy and diseased? Sure, they both pretty much have the full range of human experience, from poverty to insane wealth, with all the crime and suffering that entails. But they're also full of all the good parts of humanity

They've been getting worse and are only going to continue to get worse. Also drinks are overpriced in London.

Unchecked Expansion
Negotiator

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Unchecked Expansion » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:46 am

Tokos wrote:

They've been getting worse and are only going to continue to get worse. Also drinks are overpriced in London.

Eh, docklands have been rejuvenated, Hackney improved, Stratford is getting a massive cash injection and transport overhaul... London is no worse now than when I lived there

Ad Nihilo
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 18, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Ad Nihilo » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:17 am

Tokos wrote:

Nay, you fool. Samuel Smith pubs. Most expensive drink would be the stout, at about £2.30. Lager is like £1.80. There are tons, but the ones I usually go to are the Lyceum, and Ye Old Cheshire Cheese.

Tokos
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Tokos » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:02 am

Well, I never said it was all bad. But London Pride, nice though it is, gives terrible hangovers.

Ad Nihilo
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 18, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Ad Nihilo » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:02 pm

Tokos wrote:Well, I never said it was all bad. But London Pride, nice though it is, gives terrible hangovers.

Hah... I don't really get hangovers 8)

No but seriously, there are some embarrassingly cheap places. For example, if you don't mind students, you can get any drinks for 99p or £1.50 at most in UCL SU, and at ULU (Uni of London Union). The two I mentioned are fairly upmarket old pubs on Strand and Fleet Street.

The chrisman union
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 13, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby The chrisman union » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:09 pm

Been to both, London wins. It has a bigger clock.
Embassy
The Allied Nations of the Chrisman Union (ANCU)
Leader: President Christian Veldt
Armed forces: 900,000
Population: 340,000,000
Government type: Liberal Social Democracy
Shebu wrote: 9 out of 10 times when you have a Ak47 pointed at you, you pay attention.

North Defese wrote:If I had a nickle and the head of everyone who called me [Defense], I'd be rich, and thrown in prison for all the mutliated corpses strewn about my house.

Tunizcha wrote:Never get in a staring contest with a cat. Even if you win, you still lose, because you just spent 5 minutes staring at a cat.

Canadai wrote:In Canadai, the vertically impaired are treated as equal citizens, and given ladders by the government.

Niur wrote:Lets all just get brain transplants to shark bodies.
Defcon: 1 2 3 4 [5]

EvilDarkMagicians
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby EvilDarkMagicians » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:12 pm

The Parthians wrote:New York has quite literally everything ever conceived of on Earth.

Therefore, New York.

You probably can get everything in London too with the right amount of money.

And London does have Afghan delivery food.

Jagalonia
Senator

Founded: Jun 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Jagalonia » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:14 pm

Ad Nihilo wrote:
Tokos wrote:Well, I never said it was all bad. But London Pride, nice though it is, gives terrible hangovers.

Hah... I don't really get hangovers 8)

No but seriously, there are some embarrassingly cheap places. For example, if you don't mind students, you can get any drinks for 99p or £1.50 at most in UCL SU, and at ULU (Uni of London Union). The two I mentioned are fairly upmarket old pubs on Strand and Fleet Street.

I must find such pubs.....Damn you canadian over-pricing!!!
Tokyoni wrote:Hitler's mustache looks weird. Adam Smith was a drunken fatass. There, I've just pwned fascism and capitalism by such "logic".
Edlichbury wrote:OOC: If Knootoss can claim alcohol is a biological weapon, I can claim sentient Milk-People.
Senestrum wrote:Russians took the maximum allowable missile performances from the ABM treaty as design goals.
lolz ensued
Ifreann wrote:
Computer Land wrote:I don't want someone hacking my fridge :meh:

fridge.setTempC(100);
sysout("I'm melting! I'm meeeeelting! Oh what a world, what world!");
I'm Amish...Problem?
Unsigable. >.>
I am a Magnificent Titan who likes to Devour Heroes
All tech.

Nimzonia
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 27, 2004
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Nimzonia » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:02 pm

I'm pretty sure New York doesn't have any 900-year-old castles.

Inertina
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 04, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Inertina » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:00 pm

Nimzonia wrote:

The TV show Gargoyles begged to differ. Imported skyscraper castles, for the win.

Hegstoria
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Hegstoria » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:52 pm

Tokos wrote:

Okay no, New York has been getting amazingly better. Thanks to Gullianis massive sweep against crime and recent surge to make the city green is showing very good signs for the city. I'm not familiar with London so I can't comment.
"Quotation is a serviceable substitute for wit."-Oscar Wilde

Defcon 5: Pax Hegstoriana
Defcon 4: Ehh, things are pretty good, but a bit heated
Defcon 3: War seems near, but not at the moment, and far from the mind
Defcon 2: Get a helmet
Defcon 1: Put on said helmet

Colonies: South-West Hegstodia, The Hegstoria Rhodesian Confederacy(3 independent colonies), Fuair

Major Leaders: President Jonathan F. Shepherd, Vice President Francis P. Sinclair, Minister of the Interior Samuel D. Lisbon, Minister of the Armed Forces General Stanley C. McAlister

Map: -currently under a redesign-

Size: 7,825,600 km^2

Life Expectancy: 84.59 years Courtesy of Unibot

Alliances: Skyguard Defense Network

embassy program

Nimzonia
Ambassador

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Nimzonia » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:30 pm

Inertina wrote:
Nimzonia wrote:

The TV show Gargoyles begged to differ. Imported skyscraper castles, for the win.

I was merely giving an example of something that New York doesn't have. I didn't know Americans had such castle-envy that they had to make a cartoon about it.

Hegstoria
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Hegstoria » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:37 pm

Nimzonia wrote:
Inertina wrote:

I was merely giving an example of something that New York doesn't have. I didn't know Americans had such castle-envy that they had to make a cartoon about it.

We actually do have several castles across the country, and one that I know of in particular in the state. It's only a short distance away from the city and was moved here some time ago from England, if I remember correctly.

Colonies: South-West Hegstodia, The Hegstoria Rhodesian Confederacy(3 independent colonies), Fuair

Major Leaders: President Jonathan F. Shepherd, Vice President Francis P. Sinclair, Minister of the Interior Samuel D. Lisbon, Minister of the Armed Forces General Stanley C. McAlister

embassy program

Nadkor
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 22, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Nadkor » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:45 pm

London has a 900 year old castle right in the middle of the city, and in it's original location. You may be familiar with it:
economic left/right: -7.38, social libertarian/authoritarian: -7.59
thekidswhopoptodaywillrocktomorrow

I think we need more post-coital and less post-rock
Feels like the build-up takes forever but you never get me off

Hegstoria
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Hegstoria » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:49 pm

Nadkor wrote:London has a 900 year old castle right in the middle of the city, and in it's original location. You may be familiar with it:

I really don't give a shit, I was just saying that there are castles here.

embassy program

Nimzonia
Ambassador

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Nimzonia » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:51 pm

Hegstoria wrote:
Nimzonia wrote:

We actually do have several castles across the country, and one that I know of in particular in the state. It's only a short distance away from the city and was moved here some time ago from England, if I remember correctly.

The US doesn't have any true castles. They are all just follies or large houses with the word 'castle' in the name.

Hegstoria
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Hegstoria » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:53 pm

Nimzonia wrote:
Hegstoria wrote:We actually do have several castles across the country, and one that I know of in particular in the state. It's only a short distance away from the city and was moved here some time ago from England, if I remember correctly.

The US doesn't have any true castles. They are all just follies or large houses with the word 'castle' in the name.

No, we have castles here that were brought over here from Europe.

embassy program

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General