NATION

PASSWORD

The Jaguar Claw Codex (A PIT Case, IC, Closed)

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]
Muravyets
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 18, 2005
Ex-Nation

The Jaguar Claw Codex (A PIT Case, IC, Closed)

Postby Muravyets » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:45 pm

“Lost Mayan city, eh?” The Director of PIT leafed through the file handed to him by the Director of Archeology from The Four Tribe's Museum of History.

The Director of Archeology nodded.

The Dir. of PIT opened a map that was folded into the file and compared it to some photographs. “Dense jungle,” he observed. “Empty for miles. Few roads.”

“No roads,” the Dir. of Archeology interjected.

The Dir. of PIT could not surpress a little smile. “What’s the security situation like?”

“I won’t gloss it over. It’s poor.”

The Dir. in his gray suit glanced up sharply at the Dir. in his brown tweed jacket and corduroy trousers. “Troublesome officials?” he asked.

The Dir. of Archeology demurred. “The authorities in Yucatan aren’t bad, they’re just absent. The location is extremely remote.”

The Dir. of PIT nodded and returned his attention to the file. “So I would expect a lack of utilities as well. Communications could be a problem?”

“For trips like this we use satellite uplinks and portable generators. They work most of the time.”

The Dir. of PIT continued to nod. Under his calm, discrminating appearance, he was as giddy as a teenager, and he hadn’t even accepted the case yet. A journey deep into an unexplored jungle to find a fabled, lost, and cursed city of a vanished civilization. Ah, if only his field work days were not so far behind him. This was the kind of thing that made his blood race. And to have a client as prestigious as The Four Tribe’s Museum of History, to say nothing of the other institutions listed in the file. He did his best to hide the gleam in his eye.

“However,” he said, practically, “I need to point out that an expedition like this is a considerably greater scope of work than a simple investigation. PIT typically sends a larger group to manage the logistics involved.”

“Of course. That is entirely reasonable and even, I daresay, desired,” answered the Dir. of Archeology. “PIT’s experience in field work is well known. I am authorized to discuss terms, and we would like to get things in motion as quickly as possible. The window of opportunity before the rainy season starts in that part of the world is quite limited. The head of the expedition, Dr. Fahy, is familiar with the area, having been there before. His team is already on site.”

“Understood,” said the Dir. of PIT with a broad smile, pressing a button on his desk phone to ask his secretary to pull out some field investigator files. “I’m sure something can be arranged in short order.”

He was already mentally selecting names for the extended team he had in mind. Some of them, coincidentally were already in Yucatan. Others could be assembled quickly.

Within the day the file had been emailed to Karel Hrabak. By the middle of the week, an extended team of assignees and volunteers had been selected, and the case was bumped up the PIT calendar and distributed to the team members under the label:

Code: Select all
Case:  The Jaguar Claw Codex
Client:  Dr. J.B. Fahy, FT Museum of History
Location:  El Principado de Yucatan; report to Karel Hrabak, El Cuyo, Yucatan

Case File Enclosed

The File
Last edited by Muravyets on Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kick back at Cafe Muravyets
And check out my other RP, too. (Don't take others' word for it -- see for yourself. ;) )
I agree with Muravyets because she scares me. -- Verdigroth
However, I am still not the topic of this thread.

Bazalonia
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 04, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Bazalonia » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:57 pm

Somewhere just over the Horizon from the Yucatan coast

An outboard-powered inflatable craft powered itself towards the Yucatan coast, behind it the last remnants of a submarine disappeared underneath the otherwise calm waters. On board sat Johnathon Karver steering the bag of air towards a traditionally quiet beach a few kilometers walk from the edge of El Cuyo.

He was dressed in a red t-shirt, overlaid with a long sleeve blue jacket finished off with brown cargo pants and almost black combat boots. Not the most colour co-ordinated bunch of clothing but it was certainly practical considering the setting. On the floor of the craft sat what looked like 2 larger than normal sports bag. One contained extra sets of clothes, who knew how long they would be here and the other contained weapons, ammunition and other standard military equipment.

He arrived literally on the beach unmolested, raising the outboard out of the water just as he approached the shore line allowing the momentum to take him up onto the beach and out of the water. The first task was to hide the inflatable boat and it's out board. To this end he deflated the craft and hide it just by a rock under the sand. It should be right if he needed to get it in the relative short term.

The outboard was a bit harder to hide but utilising a natural ditch he was able to cover it up, it wouldn't stand up to any decent scrutiny but it was isolated enough that it shouldn't be a problem. He hid his trusty pistol in his pants, with the safety on, and picked up his two bags and started the long walk into El Cuyo
Bazalonia.bz: For all your Bazalonian Government needs
Bazalonia, my characters, my settings - A Blog

* Han has an utter sinking feeling that details of this are going to surreptitiously slip out into someone's siggy...
<Han> so let's hope it's neither precognitive nor self-fulfilling...

Lynion
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 08, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Lynion » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:58 am

Lucus was in one of the worst moods he has developed since he lost his family during the Fungi War (2012-2018). There was nothing physical visible on Lucus but the mental scare against him, was something he couldn’t heal no matter what he bandaged it with. On the other hand, his right ring finger bore a valuable ring that kept him going. He wasn’t one for telling anyone and neither was he intending to brag about it. Kissing his engagement ring gently, Lucus looked closely at his crossbow for a moment.

Sitting not far from the youngster was Revan Piece who appeared to be relaxed. This was a strange stance for the Shadow Assassin. Often he was deathly silent, hiding in the shadows or faking sleeping just to keep his wits about. With his scimitar as his side weapon, the primary weapon was an assault rifle hidden away in his baggage since he desired to sleep on something. Something on his mind was daunting him but he refused to allow it to play with his mind.

“You ever served in a rainforest before?” Revan asked Lucus which caught Lucus off guard completely.

“No sir,” Lucus replied. “Mainly urban, woodland and bush warfare,” Lucus explained while he try to keep his cool.

“Ain’t much difference just make sure you keep your boots on when we land,” Revan added to the conversation causing Lucus to raise an eyebrow in suspicion.

“Why?” Lucus asked curiously but also regretting ever asking him the question inside his guts.

(To be contiuned...)

“No telling what your feet will contact,” Revan smiled to the hidden joke.

Lucus sat calmly in the seat of the plane
"Indeed" Merlin replied, remaining in shadow "Emotions give people more power than they could possibly image. Emotions can turn the tide of battles with a single heroic act, help beat back even the strongest enemy. Emotions are what keeps us going in our hour of need. Hope, and trust in our friends. What Rathma did, he did because he had emotions, not because he had a lack of them"

Merlin, Ustio North - Origins of a Hero

RP's with a population of 5bn

North Avayu
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 18, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby North Avayu » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:33 am

"So, when will our new guests arrive?"

Tony Allman sat at the kitchen table of the house in El Cuyo. In his right hand, he held a cup of black coffee, in the left the file for the new case. He read through it for the third time since the file had arrived, while he took slow sips of the hot coffee every now and then. This time, he wanted to be sure to know as much as possible before heading out into the field, especially after what had happened a few weeks before. What he read made him both excited and anxious at once. He always had liked the thoughts of adventures, of discovering something new and of solving seemingly impossible mysteries, that was why he was here after all. But on the other hand, the reports spoke of killed and mutilated animals, disappeared people and legendary monsters. Everything told him that this case would be potentially dangerous, but weren't they always? Well, danger, that was something he believed he could handle. In fact, he had already seen a few dangerous situations of the matter-of-life-and-death type in his short career in the PIT. What worried him more was the thought of stumbling around the jungle, the green hell as it was called not without reason, completely cut off from civilisation and all its amenities, for a prolonged period of time.

Through the open window he was able to hear the waves running against the beach. A gentle breeze moved the palm trees outsides. It was a beautiful place for a vacation, and he had enjoyed it greatly. Tony had spent most of his time at the beach and with his friends, relaxing and simply enjoying his free time. He had left the problems and fears of the last case behind and had simply been himself. Now he was sure he was ready for the next case. Only a day after the information on the new mission had arrived, he had gone to town to buy more convenient clothes for a walk in the jungle than what he usually wore. Now, as he was waiting for the team to assemble, he was dressed in comfortable, yet practical, cargo pants and a light, short-sleeved shirt in pale blue. Back in his room there waited a big rucksack for him he planned to use instead of his regular shoulder bag. It was full to the brim with backup clothes, clean underwear, socks and whatever else he thought to need in the jungle. It also carried his equipment which was pretty much the same as always, just that this time he took a larger bottle of water with him to withstand the heat of the heartland and that he still hadn't been able to buy a new laptop. His usual flat leather shoes he had swapped for hiking boots with a thick sole. Out of an idea, he also had bought a hat with a broad brim, which now hung over the rucksack. He was ready to go.

"Lucus and Revan are coming with us,", he said, looking up from the case file, "that should be interesting." Lucus had been of great help for them in the last case, but still had been a mystery for Tony. Exactly like Revan, whom he met on his other cases. Maybe everyone from Lynion was that way, he didn't know. "And Xeri is back again, too." That was another case, he didn't even know whether he liked that man or not, he had only been part of the team for a short time and had not left the best impression with him. But one never knew how something would turn out. The rest of the names on the paper were unknown to him, but he generally enjoyed working with new people. so he didn't worry.

Tony drank the rest of the coffee in his cup in one long sip, before he placed cup and file on the table and stood up. "Let's see how this one turns out."

Muravyets
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

El Cuyo Diary

Postby Muravyets » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:59 am

Karel Hrabak was not a keeper of diaries, but if he was, the weeks that passed among him and his friends on the Yucatan beach might have gone something like this:

Sofiya milking that busted arm for all it’s worth.  I don’t think I’ve ever opened so many jars before.  Every time she goes down to the beach, I catch Tony and Hebert loitering nearby to “help” her with things.  Hebert’s no problem – everything he does makes me look good.  But Tony, that sweet, noble, kind, athletic -- two can play at that game, my friend. We’ll see what Mr. Loofah has to say about it come bath time.  Hehehe, experience and treachery beat youth and talent every time.

Found a loofah that’s just the right size and shape.  Has quite a lot to say at bath time, it turns out.

In other news, Sofiya re-annointed our charms and whatnot.  Gods, she's sexy when she's casting spells.  Martin managed to ship in replacements for laptop, phone, and watch, all of which were destroyed by swamp mud and bullets.  Go Martin.

Sofiya’s stitches out today.  Obsessed over uneven tan due to bandages.  Stupid zombies.  It is a boon to bath time, though, at least.  Will have to do something about the mess we make of the bathroom all the time.  Maybe hire a maid…some nice looking local girl who likes athletic rich boys perhaps…

Mother called on new phone.  Thanks, Martin.  Gave me an hour of hell about feeling guilty.  “You kill only four?  Vat you bitching about?  ‘Oh, boo-hoo, I break my vord, I take up veapons!’  That’s a problem?  Next time, use your hands!”  Go tequila.

Found old tennis gear in closet.  No net, but Tony and I invented a form of beach volley tennis, which Sofiya seems to enjoy watching us play.  Hebert seems to enjoy it too, as he usually sits right next to her on the sidelines.  Have to get her to work out that arm with some two on one action.  Maybe some physical therapy in the surf…

Is every housekeeper in this town over 50?  El Cuyo, you’re failing me.

Teachable moment today.  It turns out a loofah isn’t just a loofah.  Don’t know exactly what happened.  It was bath time again.  I had to step out a moment to get more of that lotion Sofiya likes.  Suddenly, a whole lot of splashing and Italian, and here comes Hebert out of the bathroom as fast as a one-legged man can hop backwards.  An innocent misunderstanding, I’m sure.

Guess it’s all in the wrist.  Hehehe.  Hm, I wonder how much mileage I can get out of The Loofah Incident?

PIT emailed.  Something about a case – lost city in the jungle, curse, blah blah.  Some guy I never heard of who works at the National Museum in Prazhal mentioned my name because I’ve done stuff for them before.  Sigh.  I suppose I’ll have to do it.  It’s probably fate calling in my debt for breaking my oath in the struggle against the dark loa.  Stupid fate.

"So, when will our new guests arrive?" Tony asked over breakfast. No sooner had Karel printed out copies of the case file, than Tony rushed right out to the sporting goods outfitters to gear up. Perhaps they had all started to feel the idleness of their recuperation time.

Karel shrugged. "I have no idea. Apparently, they're fielding two teams on this case, but I haven't heard from the other leader," he checked the roster in the file, "Jamie Lison. I don't know her."

He had also experienced mixed feelings upon seeing the names of Revan and Lucus both on the list. He'd felt immediately happy to see two men who had proven their worth in a tight spot, but at the same time concerned about the shadows he knew hung about both men -- what Karel had come to think of as the Lynion Condition. On the other hand, their special abilities in the setting they were heading into would no doubt be a benefit, so in the end, Karel settled on being happy to have more people he knew joining them.

Xeri on the other hand... PIT in its wisdom apparently still considered him fit for field work. Karel remembered his difficulty in Maurepas, and he hoped there would not be a repeat incident. From what the case file hinted at, he doubted they would be able to safeguard any team member who couldn't keep up.

"It says here, the client is to come meet us. Apparently, giving directions to the place we're going is more than can be managed. I haven't heard from him yet, either," Karel added, drinking coffee and enjoying the ocean breeze as well.
Last edited by Muravyets on Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
And check out my other RP, too. (Don't take others' word for it -- see for yourself. ;) )

Lynion
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Lynion » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:59 am

TO: Jaguar Claw Codex Leader, KarelH(?)
RE: Interest?

Got told you're an interested contact for the upcoming case. Not sure where we're meant to met up but I've got an apprentice your familiar with. Nevertheless, I'm roughly an hour out and bound to find something interesting. Where can we meet?

Revan sent off the email quickly to Karel as they contiune down the road. He had a rough idea where he was meant to meet up with the team, but he was going to need something correct for it to work. Lucus looked over at him and thought about what he said earlier about the court martial and the evidence he gave against his uncle, General Rudploh Lingston. It was going to be some time before he got a response.
Last edited by Lynion on Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Indeed" Merlin replied, remaining in shadow "Emotions give people more power than they could possibly image. Emotions can turn the tide of battles with a single heroic act, help beat back even the strongest enemy. Emotions are what keeps us going in our hour of need. Hope, and trust in our friends. What Rathma did, he did because he had emotions, not because he had a lack of them"

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:26 pm

If Karel Hrabak was not a keeper of diaries, then William Hebert was even less of one, still, had he kept one, it would've looked something like this:

Can't swim with these damned injuries. Decided to compete for their female companion's affections. I spend my time rubbing suntan lotion and opening jars when the old man isn't around. Enjoying that in the fully basest sense. Fortunately kept the old man in the dark, poor, innocent, Tony receiving the brunt of his suspicion. All according to plan.

Managed to contact some still friendly members of the Guilds of New Orleans. Got my things back, including the much needed cane, makes going up and down the steps much easier.

Got some interesting flirting in as Sofiya renewed our charms, suspect she enjoys playing along, if just for getting on Karel's nerves.

Bandages came off today, though shoulder and thigh still a bit stiff. Sofiya's obsession with her tan providing ample opportunity for flirting activity.

Tony and Karel invented an odd game of Badminton, which, played in the sand without a net, looks rather silly. But, offers much more time to sit in the sand next to her, occasionally opening drinks, and rubbing lotion, may try upping the ante soon.

Interesting incident today, intending to use the bathroom, instead I find Sofiya lounging in it with the door open, loofah in hand, decided now was the time to up that bet. I asked if she minded and at first her reply was "Not at all, mio caro amico.." but, as I took the loofah and got started, heard Karel walking up steps, got hit with several curses in Italian, got away as fast as I could.

Maybe better luck next time.

Fortunately leg and shoulder got a little better today, still stiff, but, was able to fully enjoy the surf at long last, unfortunately Karel got an email from PIT detailing the next case. Right when I was starting to enjoy it too, probably fate for having tried to poison the well, even if the poison was just shaving cream and in good fun. Stupid fate.

Hebert drank his coffee over breakfast as his friends were discussing their new teammates in this mission. Taking a bite of toast, he said, "Our drunken friend better not faint again, sûr que l'enfer," at the mention of Xeri. The man hadn't exactly ingratiated himself with Hebert on their last venture.

The mention of Lucus and Revan were a bit more welcome, however, mysterious as they were, both having shown themselves capable on previous jobs together. Though images of Revan and a gun kept floating to mind for reasons he couldn't fathom that made him a bit nervous, he shook his head to try to clear the thoughts.

"Emplacement distant, hein?" he asked as he took another bite of toast, and sipped his coffee, after their last trek he'd rather hoped he could take on another urban environment, his leg, despite it having healed, definitely didn't fancy another hike through the treacherously thick wetlands, of which jungles were only separated by a few degrees. "Ah well, keep the skills in order en tout cas."
Last edited by Maurepas on Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Londim
Minister

Founded: May 23, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Londim » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:13 pm

Jamie could have passed for any of the dozens of tourists that passed through Yucatan. Lost in the natural wonders that the country offered, flicking through guide books, listening to locals about local legends. Jamie Lison was not a tourist, though she acted like one. She was one of the most highly ranked members of The PIT and had been asked by The Director to return in a Team Leader role. She had initially thought of rejecting the offer but decided that working in a group would be good for her. She'd been on far too many solo missions recently.

As she now sat on a clanking old bus on the way to El Cuyo, Jamie read the case file once more. Story of a lost city and an evil curse, not unique among myths and legends, Londim had some for itself, but it was one of the first of such cases that The PIT would be investigating in such a big way. Her 'tourist' backpack contained more than the usual change of clothes. She had a Beretta M9, given to her by a former team mate from one of her first missions with The PIT. She didn't use it often but always like the comforting idea that it was there should she need it. She also had some insect repellent, some food ration packs and a book on monsters and demons, not for the case, just light reading. The only modern tech she had on her was her Blackberry, though she doubted she'd get good reception in the middle of the Jungle.

"El Cuyo, senors y senoritas." said the bus driver in a loud, cheerful voice. He smiled at each of the passengers as they got off and gave Jamie a wink.

"Enjoy your stay, senorita."

"Thank you." said Jamie smiling as she departed the bus. She assumed she must be near the village centre and noticed a simply designed fountain. She liked this village already and only wished she was here on holiday.

She walked to the beach front and looked at the address she had been given of where her colleagues were staying. Seeing no one else about she walked to the house and knocked.

"Anybody home?" she said.
YES. I have returned.
Now a writer over at The Sixth Axis.

Muravyets
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Muravyets » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:50 pm

Karel nodded in sympathy for the resignation in Hebert’s voice. It would be another hard slog for him very probably.

“Next case, we’ll see if we can find a haunted bar in White Springs, eh?” he joked lightly, but he often was concerned about the pain he was sure Hebert suffered on account of his injuries. He knew the Maurepasan resisted being cared for, but Karel thought he might take another stab at talking him back to White Springs for some proper therapy, after this expedition.

“Ah, Revan and Lucus are on their way,” he announced to the others, as he read his overnight emails. Quickly, he dashed off an answer.

Revan,

So good to hear from you again.  I’m eager to see you and young Lucus.  Hope you’re well.

You’ll find El Cuyo easily on any map.  When you get to town, take the beach road west and look for the blue and white house with pillars and three golf carts in front.  That’s us.  We’ll be waiting.

Yours,

K

Shortly after he hit send, he heard a knock at the door and a woman’s voice calling out, “Anybody home?”

“Ah, perhaps that's the first of our colleagues now,” he said, rising from the kitchen table.

Karel, still dressed only in the light blue-striped cotton pajama pants he’d put on when he first got out of bed, barefoot and shirtless, his pictograph-like tattoos looking very black and his hair looking very silver against his tanned skin, came around the corner from the kitchen into the living room. He smiled at the woman in the doorway, who looked like a tourist who’d lost her way.

“Good morning,” he said, and since only one woman besides Sofiya had been listed on the PIT roster, he added, “You must be Ms. Lison. I’m Karel Hrabak. Welcome, please come in.”

Bazalonia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Bazalonia » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:58 pm

Johnathon arrived at the edge of town carrying his two bags, sure the kit was heavy but he'd carried a lot more a lot farther before so it didn't seem that bad, now he just had to find the house where the PIT team was. The instructions he had were in relation to a landmark along the beach road, a fountain.

So that's where he made his way too, wondering around with his two bags until he found it, which really wasn't that hard, he didn't speak much spanish but he was confident enough to keep looking around when he thought he was near.

The next step was to head west, It was morning, local time, and as they were in the northern hemisphere the sun should be in the South. He looked at the sun, it just happened to be practically almost directly one of the streets.

“Damn tropics.” he mumbled to himself before turning his back to the sun and started walking what obviously must be west. He had a brief description of the place and street number, and the name 'Karel Hrabak' which he thought was odd but obviously unless he changed his name to that couldn't be blamed for such an odd name.

He walked down the street following the instructions given looking at the various houses as he did so, quickly mentally checking them off as not the right house except until he met the house that met the description white pillars and had the correct number out the front.

This all was a few minutes after Jamie had arrived, he walked up to the door placed his bags down on the ground before knocking on the door.

* Han has an utter sinking feeling that details of this are going to surreptitiously slip out into someone's siggy...

Dread Lady Nathicana
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Dread Lady Nathicana » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:25 pm

While her companions might not be that into journals, Sofiya kept her little notebook quite up to date, as always. For a change, the entries had less to do with her usual research, and more was just an accounting of the passing days.

At first, lack of working shoulder v irritating. Have discovered gimpiness has uses. Eye candy quotas pleasantly filled. Much entertainment to be had on account. K always ready to help, but H and T have been surprisingly enthusiastic. Suspect too many knocks to head fighting zombies have caused usual levels of manly silliness to escalate. Will just have to ‘suffer’ through it.

Oh yes. Suffer. The horror...The horror...

H definitely has nefarious plans. Potential for fun, high. K will kill him if he tries anything. T so sweet. If ever back home, need to introduce to M. Could use a good woman with some spice in his life.

Got gris-gris sorted again. Caught K looking lecherous throughout. Will take advantage later. Not ordering new compy for now. Pondering cutting out current boards bisected by bullet, making new charm of it once shoulder healed. Still haven’t mentioned it. Probably won’t – no point after the fact. Stitches itch. Stupid zombies.

K so the stereotypical dirty old man. No complaints. Running low on scented soap. Will send him into town for that and some other things later. Stitches SO not conduscive to proper tanning. Stupid wraps. Stupid zombies. Stupid tan lines. Will have to work on evening out later today after finally getting them out.

(later)
SO much better. Not as bad as expected. Still going to leave a mark. Reminder to maintain proper situational awareness. Stupid unmarked graves. H quite good with even lotion applications. Surprisingly good hands, even if they wander now and then. That boy is trouble. However, as encourages K to rise to the challenge, will continue to play innocent. Much more entertaining this way, and all in good fun. Silly boys.

H offered to let me lay my head in his lap to keep sand off while watching T and K play their new game. Not born yesterday. Amused all the same. H getting more creative in efforts. Perhaps shouldn’t have quietly discouraged young women from answering K’s ad for housekeeper…Not jealous, mind. Just not near as much fun to share attention.

Men are SO silly. Soaking in tub, enjoying quiet moment. H peeks in, asks if I needed some help with my back, or some such. He does have good hands, figured sure, why not? Leaned forward and stretched a bit, and damned if one of those huge cockroaches they down here wasn’t perched on the rim of the tub. Was v disturbed. Might have cursed a bit. H got out as fast as gimpy leg could manage. K turned up soon after, but as bug had made an escape, and sight of H scooting out so fast had me giggling way too hard, never got around to explaining.

Certain I missed out on great back scrub. Stupid bugs.

Ok, must rant. Boys won’t give up on swimming thing. SO not going to go there. Keep saying wading is fine, don’t want to damage hair with salt water. Don’t think they buy it. Don’t care. Shut up, fetch tanning lotion and rum, don’t bother me with water or boats. Stupid men.

And now, new assignment. And where? In jungle. JUNGLE! Still don’t have swampy smell out of boots. Do not want new ones, as I like how these fit. But more muck and tangles and God knows what out there, no facilities, possible monsters or spirits, and giant bugs? Can we just once have something somewhere civilized? Can camp, can hike, can do all these things, but damn. Backlash for getting sloppy dealing with MC. Memo: Be Specific, Devil is in the Details. And likely the one bargaining.

On positive side, there may be a book…

Sofiya joined the others late, her hair pulled back in a tail, and wearing a pocketed khaki vest over a black t-shirt sporting some oriental imagery of yin and yang. Her broken-in tac boots, a simple cap for cover, and khaki Dominion milspecBDU’s completed the look. She was lugging a new item – a hiking backpack appropriate to her size that she had carefully sorted her gear into – with all due care in using more resistant materials, and her standard zipped plastic bags for protection.

“Good morning, mio stalloni", the young woman said lightly, perhaps teasingly to the others. Setting the pack off to the side, she went directly for the cream-and-fruit-filled empanadas she’d discovered at a local bakery, and had made a habit of keeping on hand for breakfast, then began poking around to find the bottle of Vanilla syrup, cream, and sugar to add to her own cup of coffee.

It was then, in the midst of pouring, that she noticed a knock at the door, and heard Karel responding. There would be ample opportunities for introductions, so she worked on her pastry, and slowly sipped her coffee, taking a seat at the table.

Another knock? Well, to be fair, there were a good number of people expected, if she'd noted the file correctly. Oddly enough, she hadn't obsessed over this one that way she usually did, and had to admit, she wasn't even sure on the numbers, or the names for a good many of them. A failing, or simply having been wrapped up in the comfort the little resort town had offered in the past few weeks?

Shrugging to herself, she took another bite of her pastry, closing her eyes for a moment, and quietly savoring. If this were to be her last taste of civilization for a while, by damn, she was going to enjoy it.
Last edited by Dread Lady Nathicana on Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lynion
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Lynion » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:44 pm

"Right we got ourselves a location," Revan smiled deathly to himself causing Lucus to look away.

The car zipped along the road and they headed in the right direction to where Karel had given the directions. For Lucus, listening to the classical instrumental music in the car broke what he thought Revan was all about. Lucus had originally believed that Revan listened to deathly music but when he heard the music playing without any lyrics being said, he started to think differently about the headmaster. Maybe there was something inside of him he would never understand or never know in his life time. Eventually they came to the house and parked nearby and when they got out, Lucus could really feel the tropic's. The atmosphere had that feeling of adventure as well as danger. Both had came prepared for the climate change for the mission. Lucus was more casual compared to Revan who still wore a military uniform but only like he was going into combat. Lucus often wondered if Revan even had a social life outside his career but he was in no place to say a word against him and either did he wanted too. Taking out their bag of what few belongings they bought with them, the pair walked over to where the front door was and noticed someone was already there but it wasn't Karel. They didn't say anything when they were looking at the house and the landscape.

Muravyets
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Meanwhile...

Postby Muravyets » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:59 pm

The Antichrist rumbled into El Cuyo under the burning sun of late morning. It had risen from the bowels of the jungle in the deep of night and had clawed and ground its way north until it ran out of land here. The monster, in the form of a battered, rusted, white and green bus rolled slowly into El Cuyo’s only parking lot and lurched to a stop with a growl, a gasp, a metallic clunk that sent a shudder through its length, and a last, expiring wheeze.

The narrow door at the front folded creakingly open, and out stepped Dr. John Brendan Fahy, PhD, PhD, a bunch of other initials, etc., of a slew of academic institutions, only some of which he still had privileges with.

Ducking his head to exit the bus door, which was shorter than him by a couple of inches, he stood on the sandy pavement and stretched his long, skinny frame to its full 6-foot, 5-inch height, squinting in the bright light. Dark red hair flopped messily over the brow of his narrow face, as he patted the many pockets of his loose shirt and olive green cargo pants, looking for his cigarettes.

While he found a pack, picked a cig out with his teeth, lit it with a steel lighter, and took a long, grateful drag on it, the driver of the bus, a Mexican man wearing a white and green baseball cap to match his vehicle, stepped out. He threw a canvas messenger bag at Dr. Fahy, and sat down on the bottom step of the bus, without saying a word.

“Ah, there it is, gracias,” said Fahy as if he’d been looking for it. He continued rifling his own pockets, pulling out random bits of paper, some of which he shoved back where they’d been, some of which he dropped into the warm wind, until he found the two he was looking for. He held out one of them to the driver.

Lista de la compra de Zoltan, per favor,” he said in a sharp, rather nasal voice and a strong northern accent not even remotely favorable to Spanish.

The bus driver just stared into the distance without response.

“Fine,” Dr. Fahy shrugged, “I’ll do it.” He shouldered his bag and headed out. First stop would be Hernado’s Cantina to drop off the shopping list of Zoltan, owner of the Antichrist who had allowed Dr. Fahy to borrow the bus on condition that he make a booze run for the bar he also owned.

Then he would walk along the beach to the house whose number was scribbled on the other piece of paper, to pick up the specialists he had requested. The reputation of the Paranormal Investigation Team preceded it, at least in certain circles, and Dr. Fahy hoped they would live up to it. Otherwise, this would be a very long trip just to buy liquor with a bus driver who had stopped talking to him 300 miles ago.
Last edited by Muravyets on Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Muravyets
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Muravyets » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:37 pm

Karel shook the hand of the woman he’d let into the house, and reached to help her move her bags in, when another knock sounded on the door.

“Pardon, one moment,” he smiled graciously at the lady. Opening the door revealed a somewhat intense-looking man of slightly less than average height, dressed in a manner that suggested civilianized military and carrying two heavy bags.

“Hello,” Karel said pleasantly, “are you from PIT?” But before the man could answer, he spied two very tall figures coming up behind him.

“Revan, Lucus!” he called. “Good gods, Revan, it’s good to see you, how are you? Lucus said you’d hurt yourself. I hope you’re all right. Come in, come in. We’re still having breakfast.”

Karel returned his attention to the other new arrival, reaching out his hand to him and saying, “I beg your pardon. I’m Karel Hrabak. Welcome, Mr...?”

Bazalonia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Bazalonia » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:04 pm

"It's good to meet you." Johnathon extended his hand as he spoke in what seemed to be an Australian accent. "Karver, but please call be John."

He nodded briefly to the two men that Karel already seemed to know. "Well, at least I've got the right place." he smiled briefly at Karel before picking up his bags and making his way inside out of the way of Revan and Lucus. He looked around and said "Hi' to no one in particular before placing his bags next to a table, presumably what would be the dining table and pulled out his 9mm pistol.

He spoke to it as if to a friend, "Jungle archaelogy and mysterious disappearances. Sounds like it's right up our ally." He half laughed, half snorted as the pistol rested in his hand. Anyone who was paying attention at the right moment would of noticed a green glint, a glint as if the sun hit it in the right way.... but green. "So I take it we're waiting on the clent?" he asked generally to anyone who was nearby.

Muravyets
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Muravyets » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:24 pm

"Nice to meet you, Mr. Karver," said Karel, defaulting to his more formal manners, though it might have struck people as odd coming from a man only half-dressed. "Sorry, John. I'm Karel. These are Revan Piece and Lucus Longshanks, from the Lynion Isles. Come, all of you, leave your things here and come have some breakfast or coffee, at least."

Karel playing the host fussed over the newcomers, as was his habit.

"Yes, we are waiting for our client," he continued. "And maybe one or two more, I'll have to check the file. Come and meet the others." He led the four of them, two known and two new faces towards the kitchen where he'd left Sofiya, Hebert and Tony.

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:27 pm

Hebert smiled as Sofiya came down to join them, he didn't speak Italian, but the meaning couldn't be clearer, even if it was in jest. He was quite disappointed that their game would have to end. Her dress seemed to almost symbolically state it before him in her combat pants, and equipment, "Prêt pour le combat, ma chère?" he said with a smirk.

Almost as if summoned by his thoughts, their new teammates arrived, back to work again, he thought regretfully. The first was a female, who looked like she was a tourist who should be in a museum or library, not unattractive though, he knew it wasn't polite to note it, but, the past few weeks had been prettymuch hell on his manners, chuckling at the thought. Next was a guy who looked like he'd seen combat somewhere, which was a bit more welcome, though he noted looks could be deceiving, considering their last military man.

At the sight of Revan and Lucus, he smiled, they were people he could count on at least, he'd seen them both in action, and he smiled at them with a wave of his hand. He started to idly wonder whether Revan had the same ability as Lucus, but it was quickly replaced by an annoying sense of déjà vu, and he shook his head.

The core of the group at least was all back together...

Lynion
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Lynion » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:22 pm

"Hurt myself?" snapped back Revan as he tried to remember what happened. "If you mean the blast from the lab, then it wasn't that much. Knocked me out for a few minutes but nothing serious," he grinned while the pair entered the house.

Before they could do anything, they were introduced to John Karver who was the new rookie to the team. The pair nodded back in reply and Revan noticed Lucus had that smile on his face when he heard Karel introduce him as Lucus Longshanks. It appears his biggest worry was over and now the job was his main focus. Revan felt warm in the group again as he smiled and nodded to Herbet and Sofiya while Lucus looked about at the house from the inside. Though, Lucus couldn't help and wonder who had the question on their mind and secretly, he prayed it wouldn't happen. The pair placed their bags to one side of the room and looked about as Lucus took a cold glass of water and Revan looked about.

"Who does the house belong to Karel?" Revan asked as Lucus said hello to both Herbet and Sofiya.

Londim
Minister

Founded: May 23, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Londim » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:20 am

Jamie shook Karel's hand. She had read his file and knew he would be the other Team Leader. Joint team ops in the PIT were rare but always interesting.

"Pleased to meet you, Karel. I am Jamie and I look forward to working with you." she said with a smile as she noticed Karel offering to carry her bag.
"Don't bother with that. I'll carry that myself."

Her conversation was interrupted when there was a knock on the door. She turned to she 3 people waiting on the doorway and recognised one of them.

"Well, well, well. It's been a long time hasn't it, Revan?" Jamie said. She remembered working with Revan when he had been part of a group that had supported the PIT in a mission. It was good to see a familiar face among the strangers.
YES. I have returned.
Now a writer over at The Sixth Axis.

Lynion
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Lynion » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:11 am

"(The beauty and the beast)," Lucus taunted Revan thinking it was something else, while speaking in Lynionion. "(If you mentioned there was a good looker in the crew, I would've joined rather than going overseas for school)," Lucus added in Lynionion causing Revan to raise an eyebrow and turn from Jamie to him.

"(Believe me boy)," Revan replied in Lynionion. "Jamie, (she isn't one to cross paths with during combat. Besides...)" contiuned Revan as he gave the signal for the language to change again into Lynscertian. "(...I think Jax's had the hots towards her, but I can't support that rumour)," Revan explained before tapping his nose with his index finger.

Lucus looked at Jamie for a moment and then turned to Revan with a surprise look on his face. There was nothing solid either could put forward to support the rumour and Lucus put it out of his mind. Revan on the other hand gave him a deathly look to him about what they just said. For Lucus, the thought of going in the ring with Revan was the last event on his mind.

Infact, Lucus remembered when Revan Piece went into the ring against Arch-Master Rathma Phoenix and Master David Longshanks. The match was between Revan versus Rathma and David in martial arts. The fight lasted for about six rounds before Revan gained the upper-hand and broke Rathma's left foot in a caulated kick to disable him. Rathma was forced out of the ring leaving David feeling incredibly nervous. During a match of any kind, Rathma verusing Revan were roughly about even and it usually required a third party to destory the tie between them. However, in the match, Revan surprised Rathma and left David staying. The match ended five minutes later when Revan knocked David to the ground in one move. Lucus could remember the match well and it was the thought that dawned in his mind about going against Revan Piece. Neither would he question what he just said.

"I believe you would be Jamie eh?" Lucus asked her. "Lucus Longshanks, I believe you met my adpotive father. David Longshanks," introduced Lucus with a smile to Jamie.

"He was in the same unit when we did the Forgotten Tower case," Revan explained to Lucus. "Though, I say the Fungi War changed alot of us," Revan contiuned before turning back to Jamie. "Its being too long Jamie and it's nice seeing an old face again. Which reminds me, Jaxson Price says hello," Revan added which was odd of him to do. He wasn't one to sending favours regardless of who it was from or for what reason and he didn't know why he said it either. Without rising an eyebrow and moving around, he slipped a letter into Jamie's bag like a pick-pocketer or put-pocketer. He couldn't just give it to her and neither could he ignore it.

Dear Jamie Lison,

It has being years since we last did the PIT case of the Forgotten Tower and the last time we were on the Lynion Islands, even though it was unwise for the PIT Team to have being on Lynscert Island regardless of what was said. It’s not uncommon for it to happen since Lynscert Island is actually forbidden to outsiders.

Nevertheless, you know deep down I didn’t write this letter just to jog the memories or a history lesson of any kind. Neither do I need to hide it from you.

I’ll be open and admit you meant something to me when we did the cases. I know nothing is based on feelings or what we say or do. I didn’t expect anything to happen between us, yet, I feel you should know. No, I don’t intend to hurt you or forced feelings onto you and I’m sorry if I did.

If you remember after the Forgotten Tower case, I forced the flame grenade down the throat of the immortal demon while using my body as a shield between her and yourself. I don’t believe you were told what my injuries were but I suffered from third degree burns across my torso and I require similar armour casing to Rathma Phoenix.

When I was in hospital I pleaded with the good doctor to lie to you. I couldn’t bring myself around to see you face to face. Not in that state and not being the freak I am. I couldn’t bring myself around being transferred to Londium and from there, I asked the doctor to lie to you. The burden has being heavy and its haunted me since I made that decision.

I ask one last thing of you. Be careful when you see me again.

I had tasted Human blood for the first time since I’ve being a vampire.

I’m only trying to protect you.

Yours forever,

Jaxson Price.

(EDIT: Spolier/Letter and the end sentence. Nothing major)
Last edited by Lynion on Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

Muravyets
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Muravyets » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:18 am

"The house belongs to the Paragon Group, Ltd, one of my family's companies," Karel answered Revan casually, as if he was referring to a chain of shops and not one of the biggest international investment banking conglomerates in the world. "They've been letting us use it."

He didn't mention the other services the Paragon Group, Ltd, had provided them as well in his team's exit from Maurepas in their previous case. He didn't think Jones and the other men would appreciate having their existence bragged about, and in any event, Karel hoped that in this case, it would not become necessary to bring them up.

Leading the way the short distance to the kitchen, he gestured to his friends at the table. "Let me introduce everyone. This is Ms. Sofiya Dolohov. Mr. Tony Allman, and Mr. William Hebert. Please welcome Ms. Jamie Lison, my, um, co-leader on this case, I suppose, yes?" He smiled gently at the pretty, diminutive woman. He noted that she was older than Sofiya but still pretty in a girlish way and with a quick and ready smile. "And Mr. Johnathon Karver. And of course, our comrades in arms, Revan and Lucus."

"Please help yourselves to refreshments. We can make more coffee. I believe there's some mango beverage or something in the refrigerator. Fruit, etc. We are waiting for our client, Dr. Fahy, who I hope will materialize soon."

Karel checked his brand new watch, stainless steel with a waterproof casing over the movement and face. He wasn't really in that much of a hurry -- he was well aware he was the least dressed of everyone at the table, but then he also had stopped at the sports outfitters yesterday, and his new large rucksack was already fully packed, and appropriate clothes were waiting for him on his bed. As was his habit, he saw no need to rush when there was nothing happening. Still, they had to do something while they waited.

Revan got the ball rolling by returning Jamie's greeting with references to their past acquaintance.

"Ah, very good," he observed, retaking his seat at the table, "you've met before. Shall we all get acquainted as well? Would anyone like to tell the story of how they got here? Or perhaps some questions about the case? Ms. Lison, do you have any preferences for how you'd like to arrange the two teams?"

Having put out that invitation for talk, Karel took up his coffee again and returned to drinking it. The requirements of hospitality -- greeting people, making introductions, etc. -- was always a bit flustering and tiring to him, and he was perhaps a bit eager now to lapse back into quiet and thought.
Last edited by Muravyets on Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

North Avayu
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 18, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby North Avayu » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:58 am

Sofiya's teasing didn't go by unnoticed by Tony, but in the next few minutes a lot of people seemed to arrive at once and he didn't have enough time or attention to respond to her other than with a sidelong look.

The first of the new arrivals was Jamie Lison. He knew, because she was the only other woman besides Sofiya listed in the file for the team. She seemed to be a bit older than Tony, but not unattractive. While Karel greeted her, Tony took a longer look at her. Definitely attractive, even though he was dressed like a tourist. He had to call himself to reason again. The case file told him that she was a team leader, on the same rank as Karel was and that most likely meant that she had a lot more experience than him and also a lot more authority.

Just after her a man entered wearing a colourful combination of clothes, carrying to bags. Alone the way this man moved and behaved told Tony that he was from the military. In his short time with the PIT he had seen a few of those people and he was never quite sure how he felt towards them, but on the other hand, they were always quite good in dangerous situations. That this man, who introduced himself as John Karver, took out his gun and seemed to talk to it only verified Tony's thoughts. A strange behaviour, really strange and somewhat suspicious to Tony, but he had seen a lot of things and didn't want to judge anyone because of a quirk that seemed strange to him.

The last, but definitely not the least, persons who entered the house together before the door was closed again, were Revan and Lucus. Tony knew the two men from the Lynion Isles. At least a little bit, he wasn't sure if anyone in the PIT really knew them. But both of them had proven to be valuable team members and especially Lucus had always been sympathetic, if also a little bit strange to him. Suddenly Tony realised that he hadn't spoken to the young man since his transformation. Because of that thought, the two men were also the first to be greeted by Tony with a handshake and a nod.

"Good to see you two again, Revan, Lucus. It's a shame that you had to leave so early, Lucus, we had a good time here." As she shook Lucus's hand, Tony noticed a ring on his finger. Had he worn that one before? Tony wasn't sure, but he decided not to ask right now.

The next person on which Tony moved in to greet was John. He extended his hand while he spoke."Tony Allman. Please call me Tony, like everyone around here does."

The only person left without a greeting from him now was Jamie. Tony wanted to change that now. Putting on one of his friendliest smiles, he stepped towards her and offered her his hand. "Pleased to meet you, Ms. Lison. May I call you Jamie? I hope we'll all work well together."

Now having greeted everyone in the room, he stepped a bit back before he spoke up again, this time to nobody in particular: "Anybody want some coffee? I'm sure there is enough for everybody and if not I'll make more."
Last edited by North Avayu on Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dread Lady Nathicana
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Dread Lady Nathicana » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:40 am

“Combat? Who knows. Just being prepared. And this stuff wears better than other things in rough environments. The’e's always decent surplus bits one can get for not to much. Could hook you up, you know. Always something nice about a man in milspec gear,” Sofiya said, grinning over at Hebert. He might have been resigned to dropping the play, but she’d made no such promises. At least while off the job.

Of course the arrival of the others brought that job aspect full to view. It had been a blissful sort of break from things, but vacation time was officially over. For once, she found herself somewhat wistful rather than enthusiastic about the beginning of a new case. Once they got going she was sure it would pass, but for now, the prospect of struggling through dense jungle in search of spooks or beasties or signs of ancient civilizations didn’t appeal nearly so much as a morning on the beach and all the subsequent fun that could go with it.

Sofiya was happy to see both Lucus and Revan, though her business face was firmly in place by the time they all entered the room, and introductions were being made. It was good to see them both well enough, but things she’d seen and experienced, their very natures in fact, kept her alert for little tells and signs. There was some tension there, surely. It was a pity she couldn’t understand a word that passed between the two privately.

“Revan, Lucus – good to have you on board,” she said after they’d finished, and Karel had turned back to his coffee. Lord love the man, but he truly needed to relax more, in her opinion. When it came to this sort of thing at least. She waited her turn to greet the other two, taking the time in between to study them quietly.

“A pleasure,” she said, standing and crossing the short distance to meet them properly. A brief, polite handshake was offered each in turn. “I look forward to working with you. It seems we’ll have a larger group to operating this time, yes? While you sort out how you’d like to proceed, can I get you anything to eat? As Mr. Hrabak suggested, we’ve an assortment on hand.”

She didn’t have any particular inclination to launch into any stories, and questions would come as more information was put forward, so she refrained from expounding on her part for now. Besides, it gave her a better opportunity to just observe, and make her own private judgments about the group and their interaction initially. Aside from the by now familiar darkness inherent in the two men from Lynion, she could see no red flags at first glance. Always a good thing.

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:33 am

Maybe the game's not quite over yet, he thought, "Tout pour votre plaisir, chère," he said to Sofiya with a grin, he himself was only wearing the pajama pants with the flower on the right leg he'd worn that first day here, but, having gotten his things, he'd probably change into something a bit more suited for jungle when he went up to his room.

"Well, it's a long story of how I arrived, d'ami, but, having fought through a large horde of undead corpses, I was chased down through a bayou, shot, and air lifted back here," he said with a grin, hoping to break the ice. He wasn't normally one to speak up like that, preferring to be quiet and stick to the back of a room, but, more and more he felt at ease with their current group, and he knew Karel disliked small talk for the most part.

He then rose to get a refill on his coffee, and another bit of buttered toast before sitting back down, and munching and sipping.

Czardas
Retired Moderator

Founded: Feb 25, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Czardas » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:11 pm

"-- and the next morning, he wakes up with a massive hangover, no memory of the previous night... and the skeleton in his cot with him."

Tears are wiped from eyes. "Oh man, that's classic. I guess student pranks touch every discipline."

"Yes... definitely. No one owned up to it, obviously, but on the other hand we were teasing him for days -- 'You totally boned that chick', 'Heard your date went all to pieces on you' -- the kinds of remarks that, well, I'm sure there are students like that the world over. Soresh took it pretty well all things considering. I guess he figured it comes with the territory. He did say this was the last all-male expedition he was taking out."

"Haha. I'd hope so."

The smoky evening air coalesces around chairs, a trio of them standing guard over the bank of a river. Two of the chairs are woven, with comfortable armrests and unadorned wooden backs. In those two are seated a man and a woman. The third chair is metal, plastic, leather, in various combinations; it has four sizeable (by proportion), heavily tracked wheels attached, and it moves, propelled by a motor invisible to the casual onlooker. This chair hosts a second man. Between and over the chairs are strewn a collection of glasses and bottles, many of them empty. Cigarette smoke wafts upwards on the lazy wind.

"So, have you ever heard anything much about the sites around here?"

"The archaeological sites? No. People are a bit superstitious."

"Hah. I'd noticed, what with all the strong warnings people have been giving us.... telling us about their chickens and whatnot."

"Listen." The man in the woven chair leans forward slightly. "The villagers just want to keep you and the other doctor safe. They've been living around here for centuries, probably, and they know a lot more about the area than outsiders. I know their traditions and superstitions may seem rather silly to you -- Lord knows they seemed pretty silly to me when I moved here -- but over the years I've come to accept them and sometimes, I'm not a hundred percent sure they're wrong."

It's after nightfall. The three chairs are situated upon the property of Aureliano Cortés, the speaker of the previous paragraph; a gentleman who, raised in the City and maker of his fortune therein, came ultimately to despise the noise and smog and upon his retirement chose to move to the most distant and unpolluted locality within reach. Despite his advancing age Mr. Cortés hikes, boats, and fishes here, and supplements his dwindling pension by making woodcuts. The man and woman who sit beside him have so far find him perhaps the easiest of the villagers to talk to.

"I've always held," says the woman, speaking for the first time in quite a while, "that superstitions and folk myths -- however odd or strange -- are formed around a kernel of truth." Her Spanish is shakier than the man's; while his vocabulary may be somewhat limited, he has no compunctions about discussing topics too extensive for it.

"Could be," Mr. Cortés assents, but cautiously. "Could very well be."

There is a silence that indicates to practitioners of polite society that the conversation is over, and the alcohol, having done its work to stimulate it, is now carrying out the second half of its deal, like the devil coming for Faust's soul.

"Well--" says the man in the wheelchair abruptly. "I'm afraid it may be past our bedtimes, but it's been just lovely talking to you."

Amidst a flurry of "thank you"s, handshakes are exchanged, the two so capable rise, the woman offers to carry her chair inside and Mr. Cortés graciously accepts. They move through the small but airy house to the front door and wave their goodbyes.

"Goodbye, Doctor Friedman! Don't die!"

The man in the wheelchair grins in the darkness and calls back. "Nor you, Mr. Cortés. Thanks again!"

And before they know it the man and the woman are swallowed by the darkness, the dirt paths lit only by those windows that abut them. Music can be heard once or twice, always faint (most likely with live instruments, it's unlikely any radio stations serve the middle of nowhere). In the centre of town there is noise from the bar, and there are also streetlamps, perhaps a Principado public works project on the sole route that could be justifiably considered a street. But the man and the woman glide easefully, confidently. There is nothing here that can hurt them, human or otherwise.

They are perhaps two meters from the sturdy gate that guards the home in which they sleep, an electric light casting a shallow orange pool to illuminate it, when the man holds up a hand and says in a language he's reasonably confident no one will understand: "We're clear."

A questioning look from the woman. He answers: "Doctor Fahy won't return tonight. He's gone to the coast to pick up a group."

"What kind of a group? We were told pretty clearly that we'd be the only historians on the expedition.."

"I didn't get an opportunity to find out," the man says with a deep frown. "Regardless. First of all, I hope you understood everything?"

"Most of it..." The woman nods, yes. "Spanish isn't too far off from Italian, and I've spent plenty of time in Taroën."

"Good. What were your impressions?"

"Something has everyone here pretty damn spooked. The farmers were a bit unsettled, but I was surprised in that the townies who didn't farm were the most frightened. Imagine it's Fernando Garcia's doing."

"Partly...." The man rolls up to the doorway and pulls it open. "Could also be that, whatever it is, they've at least known about it for a while. Which fits better with our lost-mayan-city hypothesis. But isn't all that harmful to the chupacabra hypothesis, either. Or for that matter the completely-mundane hypothesis."

"I'm discounting the completely-mundane hypothesis, here," the woman argues. "Sure, there have been times when the ghost really was just the house contracting -- but the Chancellor of Navarre University is a guy who knows about the paranormal. He wouldn't send us here for nothing. And," she adds as she ascends the stairs into the rented house, lit by only a single lamp in the hallway, "I'm not entirely sure about the chupa theory. Chupas aren't nice consistent beasts like vampires -- hell, you get a few different critters they all lump under the same name -- but there are a lot of things that fit, and a few that don't."

"Interesting," comments the man, at the top of the plywood board thrown over the steps hastily upon the owner's discovery of his disability. "Minor problem -- nobody in this town has actually seen anything that can be picked up from the top of their head. Couple of people have secrets and repressions, but I wouldn't know who to start with. So we're left with pointless speculation until we get deeper in."

Inside the house they set aside their things while the man rambles.

"Heh, it's a little funny, you always run across people who think they're hiding these huge earth-shaking secrets. Look deeper, and what's this secret? They're embezzling cash or cheating on their wife. Pretty useless, if you ask me. Clairvoyance would be much more useful..."

The woman glances at him. "Yes, I know, what was he thinking, considering his marriage important?"

"What? Oh, for heaven's sake..."

"Relax. I didn't drink that much."

Without, the cicadas are gradually yielding the stage to tree frogs, and amongst the sparse clouds the half moon is ensconced in a halo, glowing amongst an infinity of stars. Were it full, it would look like nothing so much as an egg, sunny-side-up.
30 | she/her | USA | ✡︎ | ☭ | ♫

I have devised a truly marvelous signature, which this textblock is too small to contain

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates