NATION

PASSWORD

Subliminal Messaging

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Absolvability
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Subliminal Messaging

Postby Absolvability » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:50 am

Subliminal Messaging
Category: Free Trade?? Moral Decency??
Strength: Significant
By: Absolvability

A subliminal message can be best described as any idea supplanted into the mind of an observer/listener existing and operating below the threshold of common consciousness. It is the employment of stimuli of extremely precise intensity-- that it may produce a very discrete sensation within the recipient while being designed to influence the mental processes or behavior of the individual.

While continuing research into this 'gray area' of human consciousness may be extremely beneficial it is believed to be highly regrettable that subliminal messages are used primarily for military brainwashing and commercial advertisement.

Believing that such subversive advertisement and influence is morally reprehensible for subjugating an individual's own volition and detrimental to an economy where similar products are made less viable to consumers for no practical purpose, as well as being a most obvious threat to national security should the intention be so.

The World Assembly hereby:
1) Bans all use of subliminal messaging for the purposes of sale.
2) Bans all use of subliminal messaging for military/political campaigning purposes.

Acknowledging, however, that subliminal messages have often been made use of by hypno-therapists, and therefore permitting the continued use of hyponosis as it meets the following criteria:
1) That written consent by the recipient be recorded and made public.
2) That the hypnosis be administered by a trained professional in possession of whatever papers/credentials are mandated in their nation of residence.
3) That the intended effects of this hypno-therapy be confined to the betterment of ones mental health including but not limited to increasing one's self-esteem, reducing one's addictions, reducing one's phobias, or for accessing otherwise unaccessible harmfully repressed memories that will positively contribute to the ongoing psychological care of the patient.
4) That all practitioner's of hypno-therapy be liable to whatever mal-practice laws exist in their nation of residence.
Antonius Veloci
Ambassador of The Event Horizon of Absolvability

Tiesabre
Ambassador

Founded: May 15, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Subliminal Messaging

Postby Tiesabre » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:02 pm

Though the nation of Tiesabre does not agree with such ads, we recognize one large problem with such things: Maybe it isn't?

Example: Many bottles have a quite obvious phallic appearances, you were young once, I'm pretty sure you're friends and you may have joked about such things. But is it done on purpose?

There's a certain burden of proof to deal with in such a resolution. A company could argue one must already have a dirty mind in the first place to see penises, vaginas, and breast in ads all the time. Also, there are numerous suggestive pictures and objects, not all of them have some hidden message behind them. Why our own nation suffered from such a thing when we built a tower with a two buildings at the base. People claimed it looked like a man's genitalia, though it still stands today people have taken to calling it 'Penis Tower'. The same goes for military messages to a certain extent.
Last edited by Tiesabre on Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Psycho Baby: I find atheists who disparage others for believing are not any better than theists who try to shove it down others' throats.
Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: -6.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.26
Miss. Vivian Smith, Foreign Affairs-in-Chief and WA Ambassador

Doctor Cyclops
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Doctor Cyclops » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:45 pm

There is no scientific proof that subliminal messages work. Until you can point to studies that demonstrate their effectiveness, this is a non-issue and a waste of the WA's time.

Absolvability
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Absolvability » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:27 pm

Doctor Cyclops wrote:There is no scientific proof that subliminal messages work.

OOC: Correction... there is little scientific proof that subliminal messages work. There is, in fact, some.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Public concern about subliminal manipulation can be seen in 1957 when a marketing researcher looked into statistical data. James Vicary claimed to find dramatic increases in the sales of Coca-Cola and popcorn when he flashed the phrases "Drink Coca-Cola" and "Eat popcorn" for 1/2000 of a second during a movie. The statistics showed an increase in popcorn sales by 58%, with an increase in Coca-Cola sales by 18%. (Cane) This is perhaps the shocking information that led to an enormous response from the public. Individuals as well as legislators imagined possible effects of subliminal perception on the future- a world where everyone was subliminally manipulated to do what perhaps the government wanted them to do."

"The U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC) received complaints of a television station using subliminal messages in 1974. This was the first new case since the original in the 1950's. The FCC responded by issuing a public notice, which stated their official position- "We believe that the use of subliminal perception is inconsistent with the obligations of a [broadcast] licensee, and therefore we take this occasion to make clear that broadcasts employing such techniques are contrary to the public interest. Whether effective or not, such broadcasts clearly are intended to be deceptive." The United States government has supposedly tried to take steps to protect individuals from unwanted influences relayed by subliminal messages. It has produced regulations to prohibit subliminal messages to advertise consumer products. Such products include malt beverages and distilled spirits."

That is of course from real life. But lets keep in mind that we're playing a game here. And if something is theoretically possible (within reason, of course,) in real life then it almost certainly is possible somewhere in the NS universe.

If not much is known about the effectiveness of subliminal messaging in advertising it's because it's been illegal for quite some time. However, the concept is hard to refute. Afterall, subliminal only means below the threshold of common awareness. Appealing to the subconscious mind rather than the conscious. Do we not see these effects in sleep deprivation and/or brain-washing? In hypnosis? It seems obvious to me that people are MUCH more susceptible to influence when in a less-than-conscious state of mind. To say that these same concepts couldn't be applied elsewhere is intentionally dismissive.

Tiesabre wrote:Example: Many bottles have a quite obvious phallic appearances, you were young once, I'm pretty sure you're friends and you may have joked about such things. But is it done on purpose?

That's a good point; I'm glad you provided me with a chance to clear that up. The threshold of awareness is often explained as such:

"3). Thus, what the researchers are studying are stimuli that are above the sensory threshold, but below the perceptual threshold (the point at which a subject can perceive a stimulus 50% of the time)."

I don't think that's a very accurate description, since a truely subliminal message would almost never be percieved. The problem with the definition is, of course, due to lack of study in the field and the various levels of awareness that individuals might have.

However, the point is that for something to be subliminal it must pass by you. Not because you just didn't notice... but because it happened literally too fast for your conscious to grasp ahold of. The human eye is, obviously, only capable of so much. Which is why, though a television show is comprised of many frames per second, we percieve it to be a steady flow of visual information. So if you trade a single frame out you won't notice it. I'm sure we're all aware of the incredible capabilities of the BRAIN, as opposed to the eye, which might easily grasp such stimuli without our knowing. This is how they work.

Now a building shaped like a dick... on the other hand... is STRICTLY a matter of perception. You either notice it or you don't. It has nothing to do with how fast it goes, or which part of your brain is being used. If your friend points out to you what it looks like you'll notice it... and henceforward will notice the resemblence every single time. This is not a subliminal message.

Same with ice cubes in a drink that spell 'sex,' or a naked girl in the camel on Camel cigarettes. Sex might be a great seller... but there's nothing subversive about it. It might make watching commercials more tolerable, but I don't think we actually buy products because the girl in that bikini had nice breasts-s-s-s. And I don't think we're fooled by the guy on tv spraying some Axe on himself and getting sexually assaulted. If we want to tackle these issues perhaps it's best done with a 'False Advertisement' proposal, not a Subliminal Message proposal.
Last edited by Absolvability on Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Antonius Veloci

Dagguerro
Envoy

Founded: Apr 05, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Dagguerro » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:06 pm

Dagguerro would question the coverage of this proposal. That is to say, it doesn't cover all scenarios involving Subliminal Messaging.

It deliberately outlaws subliminal messaging in two areas:
1) Bans all use of subliminal messaging for the purposes of sale.
2) Bans all use of subliminal messaging for military/political campaigning purposes.

And deliberately permits it (with restrictions) in one:
Acknowledging, however, that subliminal messages have often been made use of by hypno-therapists, and therefore permitting the continued use of hyponosis as it meets the following criteria:

However there are other areas which are not covered by the proposal, for example the use of it in scientific studies with willing participants.

We would humbly suggest that the proposal be adjusted so that it may cover all scenarios either by specifically stating situations in which it cannot be used and the restrictions in place for all other situations in which it can; or alternatively by specifically stating situations in which it can be used and how and generally outlawing it in all others. The former seems a more workable idea to us; however you may feel differently.
Last edited by Dagguerro on Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Patrician Lord Nicholas Ashemore - Elected Supreme Leader of The Benevolent Empire of Dagguerro

His Excellency Lord Daniel Swift - Dagguerrean Ambassador to the World Assembly

Absolvability
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Absolvability » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:44 pm

Dagguerro wrote:Dagguerro would question the coverage of this proposal. That is to say, it doesn't cover all scenarios involving Subliminal Messaging.

Thank you for your input, Ambassador. Forgive me for not covering all of the possible uses of subliminal messages-- it is afterall just the first draft, and not only am I expecting the text to change significantly but I was not under the impression that I had encompassed all of the aspects.

Scientific study upon willing participants seems a viable option and I thank you for bringing it to my attention. I suppose I would implement restrictions very similar to the ones for hypno-therapy, though the language would be less patient/doctor oriented. However, before I begin such an addition, I would like to know if there is anything else I have left out. If such is the case I would like to know what I am working with so that the necessary changes can be done semi-generally... which is to say with brevity, and concise.

Edit:OOC: How do you pronounce 'Dagguerro?' Is it... dah-gway-oh? As in... the mexican death song that was played at the Alamo?
Last edited by Absolvability on Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Antonius Veloci

Morlago
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Morlago » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:01 pm

What is wrong with it? The world is at a 'survivor' situation. If we ban this... subliminal messaging, then the world will be changed. Political campaigns will change drastically. No more things that will affect the mind. OK... so no more saying 'If you vote for me, then I will help the country do this and this'. What's the point of elections then?
Angelo Gervoski
Minister of WA Affairs of
The United Islands of Morlago
Yë Morre Waidamün i Mórlago

DEFCON: 1 2 (Low) 3 4 5 6

Economic Left/Right: -1.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.33
Graph
Center-left social moderate.
Left: 2.2, Libertarian: 0.75
Foreign Policy: -6.11 (Non-interventionalist)
Culture: -6.31 (Cultural liberal)

Malikov
Minister

Founded: May 10, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Malikov » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:33 pm

Subliminal messaging is different from a political promise. Subliminal messaging is a form of brainwashing. Something that makes you commit an action/deed, at an increased frequency. It has been proven that you can't be forced to do something against your will. Saying "if you elect me I will cure cancer" however ludicrous it may seem, is not subliminal messaging, because you are not telling the person to elect you. Your saying 'if' you elect me. Subliminal messaging would be "Elect me so I can cure cancer", then this would have to be supplied to the masses in a way that only activates your unconcious thougt, so that you can't think about it. A subtle change makes all the difference.
Last edited by Malikov on Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current flag request.
The Official Factbook Of The United Peoples Of Malikov
Official Malkovian Flag
Official Malikovian Seal
Regional Map Of The United Peoples
Defcon:1 2 3 4 [5]
Military: .5% Standing Military|1.5% Reserves
Organizations:The Phoenix Conglomeration
The Trews - Highway of Heroes

In Flanders Fields the poppies grow
Between the crosses row on row
That mark our place, and in the sky
The larks still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below...

R.I.P.
The Conglomerate
Tiurabo wrote:Your forces are weak because you are capable of reigning them in.
"Friendship is two pals munching on a well cooked face together."

Morlago
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Morlago » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:57 pm

Oh I see. Then wouldn't that effect normal conversation, e.g. saying "Help me and I will return the favor". Then we'll have to be REALLY careful on what we say on our telegrams.
Angelo Gervoski
Minister of WA Affairs of
The United Islands of Morlago
Yë Morre Waidamün i Mórlago

DEFCON: 1 2 (Low) 3 4 5 6

Economic Left/Right: -1.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.33
Graph
Center-left social moderate.
Left: 2.2, Libertarian: 0.75
Foreign Policy: -6.11 (Non-interventionalist)
Culture: -6.31 (Cultural liberal)

Doctor Cyclops
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Doctor Cyclops » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:30 pm

Absolvability wrote:"Public concern about subliminal manipulation can be seen in 1957 when a marketing researcher looked into statistical data. James Vicary claimed to find dramatic increases in the sales of Coca-Cola and popcorn when he flashed the phrases "Drink Coca-Cola" and "Eat popcorn" for 1/2000 of a second during a movie. The statistics showed an increase in popcorn sales by 58%, with an increase in Coca-Cola sales by 18%. (Cane) This is perhaps the shocking information that led to an enormous response from the public. Individuals as well as legislators imagined possible effects of subliminal perception on the future- a world where everyone was subliminally manipulated to do what perhaps the government wanted them to do."

OOC:

Vicary could not replicate his results when asked, and later admitted to having falsified the data.

"Subliminal advertisting" is an out-and-out fabrication.

More information:
http://www.snopes.com/business/hidden/popcorn.asp
http://www.csicop.org/si/9204/sublimina ... asion.html

SilentScope4
Attaché

Founded: Jun 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby SilentScope4 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:35 pm

OOC: This proposal has Moral Decency all over it, by the way.

Subliminal messaging is fake in real life, of course, but is it "fake" in Nationstates? I'm not that sure. Nationstates is a strange game after all, with lots of strange stuff. I once ran a nation that did use subliminal adversting to remain in power, so I think it would be good to regulate subliminal messaging here in Nationstates, with the understanding, of course, that subliminal messaging is an all-out lie...in real life.

You must endorse Subliminal Messaging Proposal. You must endorse Subliminal Messaging Proposal.
This is the place to move your nation from one region to another. A fleet of military-grade choppers will fly in and physically transport SilentScope4 to a better location.

Dagguerro
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Dagguerro » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:28 am

OOC:

Vicary could not replicate his results when asked, and later admitted to having falsified the data.

"Subliminal advertisting" is an out-and-out fabrication.

OOC: In fairness, though, technically the jury is still out on the subject as far as I'm aware. Unless there is a study I've not seen then it hasn't been categorically proven either way (i.e. whether it does work or not).

Edit:OOC: How do you pronounce 'Dagguerro?' Is it... dah-gway-oh? As in... the mexican death song that was played at the Alamo?

OOC: Actually...I've never really thought about it. I'd probably say it as "dag-goo-eh-roh". As for the origin, well I came up with it several years ago now but as far as I remember its a variation that I made up based on "Daguerreo", a place in Final Fantasy IX.

However, before I begin such an addition, I would like to know if there is anything else I have left out.

Offhand I cannot see anything. However I will have some of our people look over it and get back to you if we find anything.
Last edited by Dagguerro on Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Patrician Lord Nicholas Ashemore - Elected Supreme Leader of The Benevolent Empire of Dagguerro

James Bluntus
Envoy

Founded: Dec 21, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby James Bluntus » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:59 am

I support the Political ban but not the sale part.
The Singing Nation of James Bluntus lives to fight alongside good and fight against evil.

Absolvability
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Absolvability » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:06 am

Morlago wrote:Oh I see. Then wouldn't that effect normal conversation, e.g. saying "Help me and I will return the favor". Then we'll have to be REALLY careful on what we say on our telegrams.

You don't seem to fully understand what subliminal messaging is, Ambassador. The very defintion of subliminal is below (sub) the threshold (limen) of consciousness. It really has nothing to do with persuasive speaking as we know it. You might consider the distinction to be one of overtness or covertness. Subliminal messages are almost necessarily covert (exceptions being hypno-therapy and scientific research.)

If I tell you "Help me and I will return the favor," I am appealing to your conscious reason and/or compassion. You will consult what trust you have in me... decide whether or not I am telling the truth... and then act accordingly. The decision remains yours, even if you were to hypothetically make the wrong decision.

A subliminal message is definately different. The effectiveness of it in advertisement is questionable, so again I will use the example of hypnosis... which I find to be extremely applicable, since it involves putting a person's conscious "asleep," and appealing to their subconscious. In such a state the most shy person in the world can be asked to cluck like a chicken or to strip naked infront of a large audience and will do so without question. They are not aware of the audience, and are not aware that the idea was not their own. They can be told to smell things and will think they are smelling things. This may have entertainment and therapuetic value but I believe it is necessary to curtail the usage when it may threaten free trade, democracy, one's own volition, and indeed national security.

Doctor Cyclops wrote:"Subliminal advertisting" is an out-and-out fabrication.

OOC: Perhaps Vicary was unsuccessful. I don't believe it's a fabrication as much as an unperfected art though. Unperfected because the US government took large strides against it at a very early stage. Don't you think it's highly comprable to hypnosis and the like? Whether or not there is established precedent for the effectiveness of subliminal advertising it seems incredibly obvious to me that people are overly susceptible to influence at certain levels of consciousness, and that this must be protected.

I don't think it's a stretch of the imagination. I don't even really think it's a stretch of the facts. However, be you a non-believer, perhaps take SilentScope4's view and consider this in NS terms.
Antonius Veloci

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:10 am

Umm... Ok....
If the knowledge isn't useful, you haven't found the lesson yet. ~Iniika
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Clever, but your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me.

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

I accuse your precious law class of statutory rape.

Studly Penguins
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 14, 2008
New York Times Democracy

Postby Studly Penguins » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:27 am

I do like your bill very much. Taking into consideration this is the first draft, I think the scope is a bit too limited. I also agree in the regards that subliminal messaging does work in Certain instances.

I feel as if it should be a general ban on all forms of Subliminal messages and then work in the Medical exemptions that you see fit to include/exclude. Right now its more a list of reasons why its bad, which is fine b/c we do need the justification, but how do you propose, outside of a ban,on the messaging to accomplish your end goal?

Absolvability
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Absolvability » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:44 am

Studly Penguins wrote:I do like your bill very much.

Thank you, Ambassador.

Studly wrote:I feel as if it should be a general ban on all forms of Subliminal messages and then work in the Medical exemptions that you see fit to include/exclude.

For the most part that's what it is. Often times a proposal will put a few examples in parenthesis after committing a general ban on something. Since I had (and still have,) very few examples I decided to pay them each slightly more attention.

The format will change as is necessary for brevity if I recieve more input/suggestions that would merit speaking in more general terms.

Studly wrote:how do you propose, outside of a ban,on the messaging to accomplish your end goal?

Forgive me, but I'm not sure what you mean exactly.
Antonius Veloci

Columbusian
Civilian

Founded: Jul 10, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Columbusian » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:56 am

Subliminal messaging is meant to be a subconscious manipulator, and whether or not it works, it's intent is to affect the subconscious mind, and we do not want to manipulate the people we are ruling, but help them pursue a happier, more fulfilling life, and subliminal messaging does not help anyone.
Even if it was not banned, and it's placement monitored, someone will use it to subconsciously change someone's mind for their benefit.
If, however, in someway subliminal messaging is used to help the good of man, in hypnotherapy, that should be allowed.

Subliminal messaging should be banned.
Last edited by Columbusian on Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dagguerro
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Dagguerro » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:29 am

As a further side note:
Category: Free Trade?? Moral Decency??

Of those two I think that "Moral Decency" would fit it best. If only because subliminal messaging is not restricted to commercial use.

Doctor Cyclops
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Doctor Cyclops » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:25 am

Absolvability wrote:OOC: Perhaps Vicary was unsuccessful. I don't believe it's a fabrication as much as an unperfected art though. Unperfected because the US government took large strides against it at a very early stage. Don't you think it's highly comprable to hypnosis and the like? Whether or not there is established precedent for the effectiveness of subliminal advertising it seems incredibly obvious to me that people are overly susceptible to influence at certain levels of consciousness, and that this must be protected.

OOC: That's incredibly generous. It would be more accurate to say that Vicary was a liar and a charlatan who invented a public threat solely to drive up business for himself.

No, I don't think it's comparable to hypnosis, because A) Hypnosis is voluntary. You can't be involuntarily hypnotized. B) Subliminal messages don't work!

Even if they did--even if we assume that they do in the bizarre universe of NS, where galaxy-spanning star empires are somehow allowed to be members of the World Assembly--you run into a problem. The messages are subliminal, AKA very difficult to consciously detect. What's to stop someone from putting subliminal messages in soda ads telling people to vote against the WA proposal to ban subliminal advertising? Invisible mind control would be impossible to stop and almost as difficult to prove. You'd have to have massive agencies poring over every frame of video, every femtosecond of audio on the planet looking for nefarious messages. It's ludicrious.

Please think of the mental well-being of this imaginary world and don't throw it on the altar of your proposal.

Quovar
Attaché

Founded: Feb 21, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Quovar » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:01 pm

In Quovar, a well known religious fanatic inserted subliminal messages in a speech to attempt to stir up trouble against the Christian minority. Shortly afterwards, the Islamics did in fact riot against the Christians. However, it's not fully clear whether they were reacting to the hidden "kill the Christians" messages, or the fact that the fanatic was overtly yelling "Kill the Christians" at the top of his lungs.

SilentScope4
Attaché

Founded: Jun 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby SilentScope4 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:33 pm

You'd have to have massive agencies poring over every frame of video, every femtosecond of audio on the planet looking for nefarious messages. It's ludicrious.

That's a good point. Having massive agencies would be highly ineffienct. Much better therefore to have a central WA organization (the WA Commission on Human Rights, prehaps, assuming that this idea is still in existence?) to do the dirty work rather than several conflicting agencies, many of which might fall prey to subliminal ads as well.

Further, I don't want any human agency looking at these messages, they might fall prey to subliminal messages too. Better to have non-humans, such as WA gnomes, handle this.
Last edited by SilentScope4 on Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is the place to move your nation from one region to another. A fleet of military-grade choppers will fly in and physically transport SilentScope4 to a better location.

Absolvability
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Absolvability » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:37 pm

Doctor Cyclops wrote:Please think of the mental well-being of this imaginary world and don't throw it on the altar of your proposal.

OOC: Well, I've been guilty of such a thing in the past. I'm sure several people recall my attempt at drafting some restrictions on time traveling. That may've been a stretch... but I don't think subliminal messages are. We're all aware of what they are... of how they work... and can plainly see uses it or derivatives of it serve in the real world. Therefore we should be able to extrapolate other possible uses, even if there is very little documented evidence.

The US government has a stance on it, so, frankly, who are you to say this doesn't merit a response? This is not a concern I've pulled out of my ass. If you don't happen to believe in such things feel free to campaign against it. Against it, mind you, not me. I'm not trying to sacrifice anything so that I can get my name on some infamous list. I'm just trying to present the assembly with a topic for discussion. I have no altar.

And while you're figuring out how to appropriately channel your misgivings you might want to re-consider that this is in fact an imaginary world and if your only contention can be expressed OOCly then you don't have a very good NS point at all.

Quovar wrote:In Quovar, a well known religious fanatic inserted subliminal messages in a speech to attempt to stir up trouble against the Christian minority. Shortly afterwards, the Islamics did in fact riot against the Christians. However, it's not fully clear whether they were reacting to the hidden "kill the Christians" messages, or the fact that the fanatic was overtly yelling "Kill the Christians" at the top of his lungs.

Fanatics act fanatically, and so it would indeed be hard to say which stimuli had the greater influence on those listening. However, I should think that the intention would be enough to make this a fine example of why subliminal messages should be banned in most circumstances. One would not implement subliminal messages if they knew their own voice to be sufficient. So while the speaker may have initiated the response all by himself, the fact that he intended to change the minds of those that didn't agree with him in a manner that they could not control or be aware of should be a criminal offense.
Antonius Veloci

Tiesabre
Ambassador

Founded: May 15, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Tiesabre » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:07 pm

SilentScope4 wrote:That's a good point. Having massive agencies would be highly ineffienct. Much better therefore to have a central WA organization (the WA Commission on Human Rights, prehaps, assuming that this idea is still in existence?) to do the dirty work rather than several conflicting agencies, many of which might fall prey to subliminal ads as well.

Further, I don't want any human agency looking at these messages, they might fall prey to subliminal messages too. Better to have non-humans, such as WA gnomes, handle this.

In all honestly, subliminal messages sometimes do not work on those who may not be completely human. Us Musta are skilled at detecting such things. Subliminal messages have proven to be completely ineffective on our ears and minds.

We agree on SilentScope4's recommendation that non-humans review these things.

:Miss. Smith's long whiskers twitched and she absentmindedly rubbed her paws on them:
Psycho Baby: I find atheists who disparage others for believing are not any better than theists who try to shove it down others' throats.
Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: -6.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.26
Miss. Vivian Smith, Foreign Affairs-in-Chief and WA Ambassador

Doctor Cyclops
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Doctor Cyclops » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:08 pm

Absolvability wrote:OOC: Well, I've been guilty of such a thing in the past. I'm sure several people recall my attempt at drafting some restrictions on time traveling. That may've been a stretch... but I don't think subliminal messages are. We're all aware of what they are... of how they work... and can plainly see uses it or derivatives of it serve in the real world. Therefore we should be able to extrapolate other possible uses, even if there is very little documented evidence.

OOC: It's like beating my head against a brick wall here. Subliminal messages. No scientific evidence. Vicary was a con artist. What is there to not understand here? Why not propose a resolution banning black magic while we're at it? After all, this is just a game! There very well could be covens of nefarious sorcerers out there plotting to summon dread demons to destroy everything we know and love. What you propose is a very slippery slope. Next you'll be having us ban Mountain Dew because you personally believe that yellow dye #5 shrinks testicles, despite the fact that science calls it boloney.

Absolvability wrote:The US government has a stance on it, so, frankly, who are you to say this doesn't merit a response?

The FCC has banned subliminal advertising, yes. Do you know why? Because they read Vicary's crap study and believed it. Now you might ask why the FCC hasn't since rescinded this ban despite the complete lack of scientific evidence to the contrary. Because the FCC is a regulatory body, and once a regulatory body gets its grubby mitts on a bit of power it never lets it go, and it never admits when it is wrong.

And do I really need to recount the many, many times that the United States government has held a position that was just dumb and wrong?

Absolvability wrote:This is not a concern I've pulled out of my ass.

No, Vicary pulled it out of his ass. That's what I'm trying to tell you. You labor under a dangerous delusion that there is some kind of secret magic that can reprogram your brain just by watching TV. It's not real! You'll be okay!

Absolvability wrote:If you don't happen to believe in such things feel free to campaign against it. [...] And while you're figuring out how to appropriately channel your misgivings you might want to re-consider that this is in fact an imaginary world and if your only contention can be expressed OOCly then you don't have a very good NS point at all.

That's what I'm doing. I am trying to change your mind by presenting you with the facts. And you've forced me into OOC based on the ludicrous argument that this is just a game and thus anything is possible. I'm trying to reason with you personally because you have impugned reason as a game tactic. I expect that soon we'll be having WA proposals to fight invading armadas of dragons and mischievous faeries.

But as long as we're playing "Ass Pull Theater:"

IC: The Dominion of Doctor Cyclops has conducted numerous studies in the efficacy of subliminal messages. It is a sad fact of life that some within the Domain are not happy. It is the Doctor's aim first and foremost to heal the ailments of his followers, and thus a program was begun several years ago to insert pro-happiness and pro-social messages into daily television programming. It was a three year program conducted in quarters (one quarter with messages broadcast, one quarter without). In no quarter did we see a statistically relevant drop in crime, unhappiness, or anti-social sentiment that correlated with the use of subliminal messages. In fact, in one quarter, there was a significant rise in general feelings of unhappiness that coincided with a sudden decline in the bear population (investigation ongoing). As a result, the Dominion has abandoned the pursuit of subliminal messages and deemed the technology a tremendous waste of time and effort, and anyone who claims to get results from such techniques a buffoon with something to sell.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly