NATION

PASSWORD

Seven Surefire Ways to Improve Your Roleplays

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

What Do You Find Most Difficult About Writing A Roleplay?

The Setting
4%
The Characters
8%
The Dialogue
18%
The Action
12%
The Introduction
12%
The Conclusion
6%
Flow of the Story
26%
Originality
14%

Total votes : 559

Shreddinisia
Political Columnist

Founded: Jul 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Shreddinisia » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:44 pm

New Azura wrote:Seven Surefire Ways to Improve Your Roleplays
- By the Handler of the Honourable Republic of New Azura on June 29th, 2010.

4. The Story....Don’t try to mold your characters in with your background, but rather, let the two flow together. It’s okay to experiment with unusual concepts like a Brooklyn-style thug in a tropical setting. Far too often, story ideas are so generic, that most roleplays feel sanitized and unimaginative. Don’t be afraid to come up with a character who has flaws!

Before I start, I must make a confession to you all. It will be painful to hear, and likely more common an issue than I believe. It is not a venereal disease. No, I have never role-played in my life.

Not once.

To a "noob" role-player, reading through the marvelously laid out tales of global upmanship is frightening and uplifting at the same time. I wonder if my RP's will reach the epic levels of an never-ending war. Of course, I would like them to, so I'd appreciate critique from all for the following story idea I thought up:

War news reaches the world by way of journalists. Often, these men and women are clean-cut and eloquent, but what if the reporter possessed neither of these qualities? My RP reporter represents a losing, impoverished nation. Without the proper chops for the job, he should not have a first-rate opportunity, but due to persistent claims of soldier misconduct and the international community threatening sanctions, the invading government allows a local reporter to shadow a platoon. At this point, I'm not sure if the invaders really would be sanctioning violence. It would be naive to believe isolated incidents do not occur, but sanctioned? I don't know. Anyways, these soldiers have had nothing to do with the allegations and are a bit confused, perhaps mistrusting of the reporter. Due to the liability of having an enemy reporter on the team, this platoon is sent to do menial assignments.

What do you guys think?

The Black Plains
Senator

Founded: Jan 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Black Plains » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:52 pm

Grammar. Grammar. GRAMMAAAAAAR!

The Black Plains
Senator

Founded: Jan 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Black Plains » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:59 pm

Shreddinisia wrote:
New Azura wrote:Seven Surefire Ways to Improve Your Roleplays
- By the Handler of the Honourable Republic of New Azura on June 29th, 2010.

4. The Story....Don’t try to mold your characters in with your background, but rather, let the two flow together. It’s okay to experiment with unusual concepts like a Brooklyn-style thug in a tropical setting. Far too often, story ideas are so generic, that most roleplays feel sanitized and unimaginative. Don’t be afraid to come up with a character who has flaws!

Before I start, I must make a confession to you all. It will be painful to hear, and likely more common an issue than I believe. It is not a venereal disease. No, I have never role-played in my life.

Not once.

To a "noob" role-player, reading through the marvelously laid out tales of global upmanship is frightening and uplifting at the same time. I wonder if my RP's will reach the epic levels of an never-ending war. Of course, I would like them to, so I'd appreciate critique from all for the following story idea I thought up:

War news reaches the world by way of journalists. Often, these men and women are clean-cut and eloquent, but what if the reporter possessed neither of these qualities? My RP reporter represents a losing, impoverished nation. Without the proper chops for the job, he should not have a first-rate opportunity, but due to persistent claims of soldier misconduct and the international community threatening sanctions, the invading government allows a local reporter to shadow a platoon. At this point, I'm not sure if the invaders really would be sanctioning violence. It would be naive to believe isolated incidents do not occur, but sanctioned? I don't know. Anyways, these soldiers have had nothing to do with the allegations and are a bit confused, perhaps mistrusting of the reporter. Due to the liability of having an enemy reporter on the team, this platoon is sent to do menial assignments.

What do you guys think?

If anyone ever ever rags you for the type of nation/character/strategy you RP and say that that is indicative of your RP-ing you are given license to take your shoe and hide it as far up their ass as you possibly can, preferably until they can taste shoelace. Examples:

"What your government just did was stoopid!"
Response: "Yes, I know. That is the kind of government I am RP-ing."

"Dude your nation sucks, mine is way better than yours."
Response: "Doesn't take any imagination to RP a perfect nation where everything goes right. Don't blame me for your lack of creativity."

"Haha, you lost the war! I beat you! Haha!"
Response: "The better RP-er is not always the one who wins, in fact it is more often the reverse."

"I have this and this weapon and if you do this it does this and you try and do this in response it does THIS and... [blah blah blah] my friend is an engineer and... [blah blah blah] your entire army dies!"
Response: "You're a goddamn Sun Tsu, but you ain't fightin' *my* army. Cya."

UCDF
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 10, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby UCDF » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:27 pm

Why do eyebleeders want more eyebleeders?

Cause they suck!
No offence, just sharing my opinion.
Ugh.
Too cool for you.
I am not a nation. I am a nation's military.
Human-Alien war: VICTORY
Invasion of New Poseidon: VICTORY
I am a GUY
by Old Vester
Famous badass mercenary is famous.

The Imperial Navy wrote:
Mike the Progressive wrote:But you can't be serious, OP.

He is serious. And don't call him Shirley.
Adauchi wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:Flying battleships crapping on whatever's underneath?!? Aren't pigeons and seagulls enough already?
:blink:

obviously not, with these newfangled battleships you shall be railgunned if you complain about the crapping.
:shock:
Factbook
Store

Central World Alliance
Spokesperson

Founded: May 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Central World Alliance » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:52 am

what does stickie mean?
It's not illegal it's only frowned upon by most countries.
AWESOME!
I Came to Play
Immune to Fear
My Map http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn20 ... dAllia.png

Cybernetic Replicants
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 06, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Cybernetic Replicants » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:33 pm

Example of what I thought was an excellent roleplay. It opened the way for many sequels and was fun, exciting, and ended with no deaths.

The Luna

(It's a bit Stargate SG-1 meet Star Trek, though.)
FACTBOOK
Replicators are machines with 3 prime directives- replicate, defend each other, and obtain more powerful technology. They increase expotentially. There are two ways Replicators can be built: blocks and nanites. Blocks are 1-inch pieces that work as computers, and nanites are microscopic versions. Block Replicators replicate by spraying a corrosive onto the desired metal, and working it into either shape. Nanite Replicators form units at a molecular level. Both kinds can absorb high amounts of energy from the environment.

The Drone Empire wrote:But thats only because your just plain out nearly invincible. Noone could efeat you. Ever. Everever. Not even Jenrak.. Unless he god-modded..

We are going to every place you've ever been.

Jenrak
Retired Moderator

Founded: Oct 06, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Jenrak » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:38 am

Central World Alliance wrote:what does stickie mean?

They're tapered, pinned or bulletin threads.

Stickies are always at the top of a forums and can't be bumped down by new posts, as constant reminders and easy references.

Central World Alliance
Spokesperson

Founded: May 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Central World Alliance » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:49 pm

Jenrak wrote:
Central World Alliance wrote:what does stickie mean?

They're tapered, pinned or bulletin threads.

Stickies are always at the top of a forums and can't be bumped down by new posts, as constant reminders and easy references.

oh okay thanks
It's not illegal it's only frowned upon by most countries.
AWESOME!
I Came to Play
Immune to Fear
My Map http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn20 ... dAllia.png

Soyuz 11
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 10, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Soyuz 11 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:25 am

UCDF wrote:Why do eyebleeders want more eyebleeders?

Cause they suck!
Ugh.

What the hell is an "eyebleeder"?
Тче Ред Инферно оф Соыуз 11
Soyuz 11 by A Mean Old Man
<Andaluciae> Russians, like Germans, make Poland sad.

UCDF
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby UCDF » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:43 am

Soyuz 11 wrote:

Cause they suck!
Ugh.

Super long posts and posters.
Too cool for you.
I am a GUY
by Old Vester

The Imperial Navy wrote:

Adauchi wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:Flying battleships crapping on whatever's underneath?!? Aren't pigeons and seagulls enough already?

obviously not, with these newfangled battleships you shall be railgunned if you complain about the crapping.
Factbook
Store

Hornopolis
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Hornopolis » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:33 am

UCDF wrote:
Soyuz 11 wrote:

Cause they suck!
Ugh.

Those are the best kind.
4/11/11

Polish Worlds
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Polish Worlds » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:22 pm

Hornopolis wrote:
UCDF wrote:
Soyuz 11 wrote:

Cause they suck!
Ugh.

Those are the best kind.

http://www.rdrop.com/~hutch/argon

Read this and think again about what you just claimed. tl;dr + purple prose != quality.
Poland Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth and Supermarine Spitfires IN SPACE! Tripods included. Wikistates Article

Many years ago the great British explorer George Mallory, who was to die on Mount Everest, was asked why did he want to climb it. He said, "Because it is there." Well, space is there, and we're going to climb it, and the Moon and the planets are there, and new hopes for knowledge and peace are there. And, therefore, as we set sail we ask God's blessing on the most hazardous and dangerous and greatest adventure on which man has ever embarked.
- John Fitzgerald Kennedy, United States of Lyra, Ursa Major Treaty Organization, 1961

Qatarab
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 10, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Qatarab » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:05 pm

Tag...
I RP With:MT(5 billion) and FT(25 Billion)[may change]
Factbook
Neo Arcad wrote:
Qatarab wrote:Where's my torch? Time to burn some courts down.

Oh, you crazy Muslim you!

UCDF
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby UCDF » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:07 pm

Polish Worlds wrote:
Hornopolis wrote:Those are the best kind.

Read this and think again about what you just claimed. tl;dr + purple prose != quality.

IT BURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SO... MUCH... BLOOD... FROM... EYES!!!!
Too cool for you.
I am a GUY
by Old Vester

The Imperial Navy wrote:

Adauchi wrote:

Factbook
Store

The Grand World Order
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 03, 2007
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Grand World Order » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:12 pm

UCDF wrote:
Polish Worlds wrote:

IT BURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seeing one-liners like the ones you litter the forum with makes me feel like putting a dress on you and hurting you. And everyone else.
United States Marine Corps Non-Commissioned Officer turned Private Military Contractor
Basque American
NS's only post-apoc, neo-western, cassette-punk, conspiracy-laden, pseudo-mystic Fascist UN-clone utopia
Peace sells, but who's buying? | Right is the new punk
A Better Class of Fascist
Got Discord? Add me at griff1337
Economic Left/Right: 4.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 8.13
Amerikians: That sir, is one Epic Tank.
Altamirus: Behold the fascist God of War.
Aelosia: Shiiiiit, you are hot. More pics, I demand.

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Rich Port » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:56 pm

The Grand World Order wrote:
UCDF wrote:IT BURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...putting a dress on you and hurting you. And everyone else.

:blink: Whu?
THOSE THAT SOW THORNS SHOULD NOT EXPECT FLOWERS
CONSERVATISM IS FEAR AND STAGNATION AS IDEOLOGY. ONLY MARCH FORWARD.

Pronouns: She/Her
The Alt-Right Playbook
Alt-right/racist terminology
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

UCDF
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby UCDF » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:57 pm

UCDF wrote:IT BURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seeing one-liners like the ones you litter the forum with makes me feel like putting a dress on you and hurting you. And everyone else.

That makes no sense.
Too cool for you.
I am a GUY
by Old Vester

The Imperial Navy wrote:

Adauchi wrote:

Factbook
Store

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Rich Port » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:58 pm

UCDF wrote:

That makes no sense.

I think it goes without saying that one-liners do not good roleplaying make. :eyebrow:

I just didn't get the whole "dress" thing.
THOSE THAT SOW THORNS SHOULD NOT EXPECT FLOWERS
CONSERVATISM IS FEAR AND STAGNATION AS IDEOLOGY. ONLY MARCH FORWARD.

Pronouns: She/Her
The Alt-Right Playbook
Alt-right/racist terminology
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Layarteb
Powerbroker

Founded: Antiquity
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Layarteb » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:26 pm

If it helps towards Length vs. Brevity I've always found this to sort of be a guide for myself in most [definitely not all] situations. There are also some other tips for improvement.

+ Your OP should be the longest and most detailed post. Why?
>> Think of your RP like any story. You want to grab the reader's interests and, at the same time, set up your RP's flow. Nothing is worse than a terse OP that gives few details as to what is ahead and certainly a lack of detail can make it boring. Some will say that an OP should be short and not contain so much detail or you'll shy away people from the very beginning. This is true if you are looking for inexperienced players. If you want experienced players who are great at story writing, give them something that will put stars in their eyes and make them want to play along.

+ Your normal [serious] post should be less than 2,000 words. Why?
>> Two thousand words are about two to three typed pages. It's short, relatively speaking. If you are writing a serious RP that is a story or character RP then this will have enough space to give you ~5 paragraphs [paragraphs shouldn't be more than 200 words a piece]. In 5 paragraphs you can have the introduction, the building, the climax, the waning, and the conclusion. You don't have to have exactly 5 and your paragraphs don't all have to be the same amount of words, this is by no means a strict limit but +/- 200 words is a good buffer with 500 being the maximum. Obviously if you are engaging in bang-and-bang [such as dialogue posting with another player] this should not apply.

+ Proofread everything you write. Why?
>> Nothing is worse than trying to read abysmal grammar and spelling mistakes. By all means, an RP post doesn't have to be a final draft but neither should it be the first draft. Write it out in Microsoft Word [or equivalent] and run your grammar & spell check. This will catch 75% of the errors. Then take the time just to read through what you wrote once. From that point on you should be alright.

+ Space between paragraphs! Why?
>> If you do not space between paragraphs you're going to have a giant wall of text. Nothing is more straining to the eyes than this. Spacing allows the reader to physically separate everything in an RP. This includes dialogue too because remember, every time the speaker changes it is a new paragraph.

+ Do basic level planning, at the very least. Why?
>> Clearly you have to have a direction you want to go in when you start an RP. By no means should you have a set structure though. You want fluidity with your RPs, especially interactive ones. Stories with one poster are less dynamic but then again they don't always have to be if you don't want them to be as such. Make a list in a program [Microsoft OneNote is excellent] of where you want to go and it never hurts to keep track of your characters and special events that occur as well.
If you're interested in the longest running, Earth-based, MT RP community, consider joining Earth II today
Earth II Moderator | Earth II Discord | Member of The October Alliance
Guide to My Stories
Member of Earth II
• • • • ‡ • • • •
• The Empire of Columbia •

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents