NATION

PASSWORD

Is our kids getting dumber

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Moreistan
Secretary

Founded: Jan 18, 2024
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Moreistan » Thu May 23, 2024 2:31 pm

All of us? Uhh...
Uhh...so...I password-scrambled Johodovill on an impulse...

I have no proper sig, yet posted in the sig thread anyway. Stupid moment...

Azurnailia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 05, 2024
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Azurnailia » Thu May 23, 2024 2:36 pm

Oh yes, Gen Z and Alpha are bringing in BRAINROT. It took a look at one, I hated Gen alpha since
NS INFO= NON CANon
─╤══̵̵͇̿̿̿̿╦︻ Put this in your sig if you are a war profiteer ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─
Welcome to Azurnailia! Finding and destroying anyone who outstamps Political rights since 1793![/floatright]

Shafania
Political Columnist

Founded: Mar 09, 2024
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Shafania » Thu May 23, 2024 2:39 pm

Nutskir wrote:
Moreistan wrote:All of us? Uhh...

Y'know the forums have a requirement age.

They have? (Not that Im a kid)

Moltian
Bureaucrat

Founded: Feb 14, 2023
Father Knows Best State

Postby Moltian » Thu May 23, 2024 2:39 pm

Azurnailia wrote:Oh yes, Gen Z and Alpha are bringing in BRAINROT. It took a look at one, I hated Gen alpha since

Brainrot? or nourishment? I say the ladder

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Thu May 23, 2024 2:45 pm

In the 1960's a car manual had instructions on how to gap a spark plug, today they tell you not to drink the antifreeze
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Ancientania
Senator

Founded: May 07, 2023
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ancientania » Thu May 23, 2024 2:46 pm

*everyone on the forums had to be 13. Everyone else? Not so much.
That being said, you're talking to forum users so your point is valid, just but your wording.

Are we getting dumber? Hell would I know? The hell does anyone else? All I do know is that if someone is interested in a particular topic, more resources are available quicker than they used to be- motivation to do so could be a separate conversation or incorporated into this one, but I believe that it is, and always has been, a fluctuation in motivation to make someone "smart" or "dumb".

Think of the geniuses of the world. Did any not have the motivation to keep going? Stephen Hawking was told he would die when he was around 18. Einstein was kicked out of elementary school. And what did they do?

If Gen Z or Gen Alpha will have a Hawking or Einstein we can't be sure- we'll just have to wait. However, if you look at a world as a whole, that is getting smarter. So it depends on what you look at
Geography nerd, Political especially
10-20 years old, Gen Z
American Jew, He/him Male
Class: 0.86
If you sue me I'll take your kneecaps. Threats count too.
Kneecaps stolen 24(x2)
NS stats have met my little buddy over here *Cocks gun*
Militant... main sig is also IC. High welfare. TGs are for any purpose. Proud delegate of TOH.
[What's this button do?]
[NO DON'T TOUCH THAT]
[What about this one?] [NOT THAT EITHER]
[Ooh shiny] [NO]
{BOOM}
The Centennial Radio: Hands, touchin' hands/Reachin' out, touchin' me, touchin' you/Sweet Caroline/Good times never seemed so good/I've been inclined/To believe they never would//That was Sweet Caroline by [b]Neil Diamond/b]. Takes requests!

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Thu May 23, 2024 2:46 pm

Shafania wrote:
Nutskir wrote:Y'know the forums have a requirement age.

They have? (Not that Im a kid)

Yes, 13
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Kostane
Senator

Founded: Nov 07, 2022
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Kostane » Thu May 23, 2024 2:47 pm

Maybe the adults are just getting dumber and don’t have sufficient measurements to measure the immense intellect of the younger generations.

Some kids are reading at a 1st grade level. That’s not a sign of stupidity. It’s a sign of an already broken education system that was destroyed by Covid. It’s a sign of social media companies going unregulated and using algorithms that are more powerful than any of us to exploit our lives for profit.

The only people who have gotten dumber are the lawmakers who sit and watch as they ruin the world with their petty politics and incompetency.
New sig WIP
Member of MCoTO

Azurnailia
Diplomat

Moralistic Democracy

Postby Azurnailia » Thu May 23, 2024 2:48 pm

Ancientania wrote:*everyone on the forums had to be 13. Everyone else? Not so much.
That being said, you're talking to forum users so your point is valid, just but your wording.

Are we getting dumber? Hell would I know? The hell does anyone else? All I do know is that if someone is interested in a particular topic, more resources are available quicker than they used to be- motivation to do so could be a separate conversation or incorporated into this one, but I believe that it is, and always has been, a fluctuation in motivation to make someone "smart" or "dumb".

Think of the geniuses of the world. Did any not have the motivation to keep going? Stephen Hawking was told he would die when he was around 18. Einstein was kicked out of elementary school. And what did they do?

If Gen Z or Gen Alpha will have a Hawking or Einstein we can't be sure- we'll just have to wait. However, if you look at a world as a whole, that is getting smarter. So it depends on what you look at

Say that to all of the GYATT RIZZLER IN OHIO SKIBBITI TOILET SIGMAs
(Good lord help me)
I’m 18 ok. And All I see is this.
Though most people one here are exceptions because you do need some knowledge to make and run a country
Last edited by Azurnailia on Thu May 23, 2024 2:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NS INFO= NON CANon
Welcome to Azurnailia! Finding and destroying anyone who outstamps Political rights since 1793![/floatright]

Valrifall
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 30, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Valrifall » Thu May 23, 2024 2:49 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:In the 1960's a car manual had instructions on how to gap a spark plug, today they tell you not to drink the antifreeze

But it's so tasty...
#FreeValrifell

Currently pursuing a Masters in experimental particle physics | DUNE (the experiment) enthusiast | Left-Communist

Libertarian Negev
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 14, 2024
Anarchy

Postby Libertarian Negev » Thu May 23, 2024 2:49 pm

Absolutely. I can’t even understand what two Gen Z-ers are saying each other. It’s as if they aren’t speaking English anymore. And Gen Alpha is even worse. We are progressing towards Idiocracy much faster than I originally thought.

Kostane
Senator

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Kostane » Thu May 23, 2024 2:50 pm

Azurnailia wrote:
Ancientania wrote:*everyone on the forums had to be 13. Everyone else? Not so much.

(Good lord help me)
I’m 18 ok. And All I see is this

Yes, you see the consequences of social media having no regulation. You’re 18. So go and vote for some smarter politicians instead of the idiots who are currently in the government. Don’t complain about children not being able to overcome an addiction.
New sig WIP
Member of MCoTO

Emoti
Lobbyist

Founded: Dec 07, 2023
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Emoti » Thu May 23, 2024 2:51 pm

Id say that children are getting worse at some things and better at others.

Most of gen z / gen alpha don't see the use in typical school subjects. its not that they are too stupid to understand or learn, just that they have different priorities. There are a bunch of different reasons for this:
- most school-aged kids missed 2+ years of education due to covid
- rising costs make it so parents have to work more, meaning spending less time with children
- as a result of the above, most children are left to teach themself through youtube/the internet
- less pressure to go to college/trade school than in the past (most of us see people strangled with debt and say "not for me, thx")

I'd say our generation is a lot more emphatic & socially accepting than past generations, we're very outspoken about issues in the world. So I don't think we're all "dumber" per say.

Geniyana
Civil Servant

Founded: May 12, 2024
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Geniyana » Thu May 23, 2024 2:52 pm

I dont live in an english speaking nation so I dont know how much slang is used. Gen Z here is pretty understandable. Im european

Valrifall
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 30, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Valrifall » Thu May 23, 2024 2:52 pm

Libertarian Negev wrote:Absolutely. I can’t even understand what two Gen Z-ers are saying each other. It’s as if they aren’t speaking English anymore. And Gen Alpha is even worse. We are progressing towards Idiocracy much faster than I originally thought.

Big yikes, Chat cancel this millennial straight to Ohio.

Who let bro cook fr.
#FreeValrifell

Currently pursuing a Masters in experimental particle physics | DUNE (the experiment) enthusiast | Left-Communist

Azurnailia
Diplomat

Moralistic Democracy

Postby Azurnailia » Thu May 23, 2024 2:52 pm

Kostane wrote:
Azurnailia wrote:Say that to all of the GYATT RIZZLER IN OHIO SKIBBITI TOILET SIGMAs
(Good lord help me)
I’m 18 ok. And All I see is this

Yes, you see the consequences of social media having no regulation. You’re 18. So go and vote for some smarter politicians instead of the idiots who are currently in the government. Don’t complain about children not being able to overcome an addiction.

I know, I just turned 18. I have another question. Why political parties. Wasn’t it Washington who SPECIFICALLY said “Not to form parties?”
NS INFO= NON CANon

Ancientania
Senator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ancientania » Thu May 23, 2024 2:53 pm

Azurnailia wrote:
Kostane wrote:Yes, you see the consequences of social media having no regulation. You’re 18. So go and vote for some smarter politicians instead of the idiots who are currently in the government. Don’t complain about children not being able to overcome an addiction.

I know, I just turned 18. I have another question. Why political parties. Wasn’t it Washington who SPECIFICALLY said “Not to form parties?”

There's a nice thread called American politics for this sort of stuff
10-20 years old, Gen Z
Kneecaps stolen 24(x2)
Militant... main sig is also IC. High welfare. TGs are for any purpose. Proud delegate of TOH.
[What's this button do?]
[NO DON'T TOUCH THAT]
[Ooh shiny] [NO]
{BOOM}
The Centennial Radio: Hands, touchin' hands/Reachin' out, touchin' me, touchin' you/Sweet Caroline/Good times never seemed so good/I've been inclined/To believe they never would//That was Sweet Caroline by [b]Neil Diamond/b]. Takes requests!

Kostane
Senator

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Kostane » Thu May 23, 2024 2:54 pm

Libertarian Negev wrote:Absolutely. I can’t even understand what two Gen Z-ers are saying each other. It’s as if they aren’t speaking English anymore. And Gen Alpha is even worse. We are progressing towards Idiocracy much faster than I originally thought.

Personally, I think Gen Alpha slang is the bee’s knees. Instead of cheesing it, we ought to celebrate it.

1920s slang: https://www.smokyhillmuseum.org/file_do ... f#:~:text=•%20Beef%3A%20problem,•%20Bent%20cars%3A%20Stolen%20cars

Every generation has slang. Get over yourself. You do not speak “normal” and the younger generations all have a weird non-English dialect.
New sig WIP
Member of MCoTO

Azurnailia
Diplomat

Moralistic Democracy

Postby Azurnailia » Thu May 23, 2024 2:54 pm

Can you link it?
NS INFO= NON CANon

Fort Viorlia
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 18, 2023
New York Times Democracy

Postby Fort Viorlia » Thu May 23, 2024 2:54 pm

Valrifall wrote:

Big yikes, Chat cancel this millennial straight to Ohio.

Who let bro cook fr.

This is the Gen-A/Brainrot Gen-Z version of being condemned to hell

Ancientania
Senator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ancientania » Thu May 23, 2024 2:55 pm

Azurnailia wrote:

(Good lord help me)
I’m 18 ok. And All I see is this.
Though most people one here are exceptions because you do need some knowledge to make and run a country

For all I know we could be dumber; I did say I didn't know. However, I did point to motivation (which the most... Vocal Alphas seem to lack) as the core difference
10-20 years old, Gen Z
Kneecaps stolen 24(x2)
[What's this button do?]
[NO DON'T TOUCH THAT]
[Ooh shiny] [NO]
{BOOM}

Geniyana
Civil Servant

Postby Geniyana » Thu May 23, 2024 2:55 pm

I blame GEN Alpha for their weird words

Fort Viorlia
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 18, 2023
New York Times Democracy

Postby Fort Viorlia » Thu May 23, 2024 2:56 pm

Kostane wrote:

Personally, I think Gen Alpha slang is the bee’s knees. Instead of cheesing it, we ought to celebrate it.

1920s slang: https://www.smokyhillmuseum.org/file_do ... f#:~:text=•%20Beef%3A%20problem,•%20Bent%20cars%3A%20Stolen%20cars

Every generation has slang. Get over yourself. You do not speak “normal” and the younger generations all have a weird non-English dialect.

I don’t give a shit about 1920s slang, Gen-Alpha slang is fuck.

Kostane
Senator

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Kostane » Thu May 23, 2024 2:56 pm

Geniyana wrote:I blame GEN Alpha for their weird words

Gen Alpha doesn’t have weird words. I’ll insert my other post about this here for your convenience.

Kostane wrote:

New sig WIP
Member of MCoTO

Geniyana
Civil Servant

Postby Geniyana » Thu May 23, 2024 2:57 pm

Just realised:
We are slowly becoming the same boomers that complain over the younger generations
Last edited by Geniyana on Thu May 23, 2024 2:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General