NATION

PASSWORD

Baha'I Discussion Thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Are you Baha'I?

Yes
6%
No
94%

Total votes : 31

Repreteop
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 01, 2020
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Baha'I Discussion Thread

Postby Repreteop » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:07 am

Since the oldest and first Baha'I faith discussion thread has been run down and not used for a long time (first created around 2009 I think), I decided to create a Baha'I discussion thread.

This thing is open to all to discuss it. I'm converting (which I do not know will stick since I am currently going through many religions and reading) to Baha'I faith because after looking into it for a while, its the only one that is reasonable at the moment and explains alot better in my opinion than just one religion, explaining that God sends people like Jesus, Zoroaster, and Muhammad (not exclusively) as messengers and that Baháʼu'lláh was sent as a messenger as well and as a prophet as well.

I personally can explain and tell you about anything you wish to know, and if you wish, point you to conversion.
Last edited by Repreteop on Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
*̡͌*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡ ̡̡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|,̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ *̡͌*Repreteop *̡͌*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡ ̡̡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|,̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ *̡͌*
Once in your life you'll find her, someone who turns your heart around, and next thing you know, you're closin' down the town
I don't usually go anywhere but general, mainly religious general.
I am legally and technically a minister funny enough...
My opinion fluctuates often but my eyes always face G-d. I am Jewish under the once a Jew always a Jew rule. No matter what I do, I can't run!!! I SOMETIMES fluctuate my standing for the purpose of learning from other perspectives, but regardless, I usually have a pretty close representation.

im clearly having a crisis

Adreabhal
Secretary

Founded: Nov 02, 2022
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Adreabhal » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:12 am

Honestly, I think that the concept that all religions are pointing to the same truth is incredibly offensive to every single person who follows those religions. As a Christian, I can confidently say that Jesus did not say the same things as Zoroaster or Muhammad or the Baha'u'llah, and it's incredibly revisionist to suggest that he did, when in fact, he declared exclusively that he is the way, the truth, and the life, and that no one comes to God except through him (John 14:6).

Those exclusive claims should be evaluated for what they are and if you disagree with those assertions, that's one thing, and we can talk that through. However, pretending that all religious figures are preaching similar things from some universal God is false, and incredibly demeaning to all religions whose religious figures you plunder in such a way.
Last edited by Adreabhal on Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
I think Jesus is pretty cool

Repreteop
Ambassador

Postby Repreteop » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:19 am

Adreabhal wrote:Honestly, I think that the concept that all religions are pointing to the same truth is incredibly offensive to every single person who follows those religions. As a Christian, I can confidently say that Jesus did not say the same things as Zoroaster or Muhammad or the Baha'u'llah, and it's incredibly revisionist to suggest that he did, when in fact, he declared exclusively that he is the way, the truth, and the life, and that no one comes to God except through him (John 14:6).

Those exclusive claims should be evaluated for what they are and if you disagree with those assertions, that's one thing, and we can talk that through. However, pretending that all religious figures are preaching similar things from some universal God is false, and incredibly demeaning to all religions whose religious figures you plunder in such a way.

Jesus exists in Islam as well, it kind of depends on what you think I guess.
*̡͌*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡ ̡̡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|,̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ *̡͌*Repreteop *̡͌*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡ ̡̡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|,̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ *̡͌*
Once in your life you'll find her, someone who turns your heart around, and next thing you know, you're closin' down the town
My opinion fluctuates often but my eyes always face G-d. I am Jewish under the once a Jew always a Jew rule. No matter what I do, I can't run!!! I SOMETIMES fluctuate my standing for the purpose of learning from other perspectives, but regardless, I usually have a pretty close representation.

Adreabhal
Secretary

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Adreabhal » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:21 am

Repreteop wrote:
Adreabhal wrote:Honestly, I think that the concept that all religions are pointing to the same truth is incredibly offensive to every single person who follows those religions. As a Christian, I can confidently say that Jesus did not say the same things as Zoroaster or Muhammad or the Baha'u'llah, and it's incredibly revisionist to suggest that he did, when in fact, he declared exclusively that he is the way, the truth, and the life, and that no one comes to God except through him (John 14:6).

Yes, Jesus is a prophet in Islam. He is not in Buddhism, Hinduism, Zoroastrianism, Judaism, etc. Even with all that, none of it changes the exclusive claims that Jesus makes throughout the Gospels, especially John.

Emotional Support Crocodile
Senator

Founded: Jun 06, 2022
New York Times Democracy

Postby Emotional Support Crocodile » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:25 am

So do you think the Jews find it incredibly offensive how Christianity plundered their religion?
Just another surprising item on the bagging scale of life

Only 10 minutes to save the West... but I could murder a pint

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality can feel like oppression

Adreabhal
Secretary

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Adreabhal » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:30 am

Emotional Support Crocodile wrote:

So do you think the Jews find it incredibly offensive how Christianity plundered their religion?

It's very likely that some do, however, I would argue Christianity didn't plunder Judaism so much as it completed it. I do, however, admit that that is a hot take and is not something many people would agree with. That said, I can say that I don't believe that Jesus ever contradicted Judaism, being a Jew as he was, whereas Baha'i must necessarily pit contradictory ideas against one another, since many religions have contradictory views and beliefs to one another.

Repreteop
Ambassador

Postby Repreteop » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:31 am

Emotional Support Crocodile wrote:

I did when I was Jewish lol.

Emotional Support Crocodile
Senator

Founded: Jun 06, 2022
New York Times Democracy

Postby Emotional Support Crocodile » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:33 am

I had a Baha'i teacher when I was at school. Rather appropriately he taught us comparative religion. Nice man, seems he died last year. RIP Mr Jenkins.
Just another surprising item on the bagging scale of life

Only 10 minutes to save the West... but I could murder a pint

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality can feel like oppression

Page
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:44 am

I met a bunch of Baha'is once and as far as believers in the Abrahamic God go, they were pretty cool. Not converting any time soon though.
Anarcho-Communist Against: Bolsheviks, Fascists, TERFs, Putin, Autocrats, Conservatives, Ancaps, Bourgeoisie, Bigots, Liberals, Maoists

I don't believe in kink-shaming unless your kink is submitting to the state.

Durius
Minister

Founded: Oct 30, 2015
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Durius » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:48 am

Adreabhal wrote:As a Christian, I can confidently say that Jesus did not say the same things as Zoroaster or Muhammad or the Baha'u'llah, and it's incredibly revisionist to suggest that he did [...]

If you had at least said, "as a historian" or "as a theologian"... I'm sorry to say, but being a Christian doesn't give you any authority on Christianity. At least no more than a schooler is any authority on the subjects they are being schooled on.

Adreabhal
Secretary

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Adreabhal » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:50 am

Durius wrote:
Adreabhal wrote:As a Christian, I can confidently say that Jesus did not say the same things as Zoroaster or Muhammad or the Baha'u'llah, and it's incredibly revisionist to suggest that he did [...]

If you had at least said, "as a historian" or "as a theologian"... I'm sorry to say, but being a Christian doesn't give you any authority on Christianity. At least no more than a schooler is any authority on the subjects they are being schooled on.

That's fair, but can you disprove my point? All I mean to say is that I have more experience and knowledge of Christianity than most people, specifically non-Christians, do, which is not untrue.

Durius
Minister

Postby Durius » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:51 am

Adreabhal wrote:
Durius wrote:If you had at least said, "as a historian" or "as a theologian"... I'm sorry to say, but being a Christian doesn't give you any authority on Christianity. At least no more than a schooler is any authority on the subjects they are being schooled on.

That's fair, but can you disprove my point? All I mean to say is that I have more experience and knowledge of Christianity than most people, specifically non-Christians, do, which is not untrue.

Instead of me disproving my point, can you actually prove it yourself?

Adreabhal
Secretary

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Adreabhal » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:55 am

Durius wrote:
Adreabhal wrote:That's fair, but can you disprove my point? All I mean to say is that I have more experience and knowledge of Christianity than most people, specifically non-Christians, do, which is not untrue.

Please refer to my previous point, that Jesus said in John 14:6 that he is the way, the truth, and the life, and that no one comes to the Father except through him. It's an exclusive claim made my Jesus that seems to exclude the statements made by other prophets mentioned before in this thread. My question is, how can this be reconciled with Baha'i? That's my point that I'd like you do address instead of questioning my credibility as a means of discrediting my concerns.

Unogonduria
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 07, 2023
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Unogonduria » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:57 am

Durius wrote:
Adreabhal wrote:That's fair, but can you disprove my point? All I mean to say is that I have more experience and knowledge of Christianity than most people, specifically non-Christians, do, which is not untrue.

Well for starters, Jesus taught the Trinity, which cannot be found in any other religion.
Last edited by Unogonduria on Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
I love Jesus.
May the memory of the New Texas Republic live on.

Hello everybody. I am Unogonduria. Ooga Booga? No. Boolgar Oolgar.

Repreteop
Ambassador

Postby Repreteop » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:57 am

Adreabhal wrote:
Repreteop wrote:

Yes, Jesus is a prophet in Islam. He is not in Buddhism, Hinduism, Zoroastrianism, Judaism, etc. Even with all that, none of it changes the exclusive claims that Jesus makes throughout the Gospels, especially John.

I think God sends these people as messengers to build up the world itself, if you look at it, alot of world history leading up to now was brought by religions that are not Baha'I.

Repreteop
Ambassador

Postby Repreteop » Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:07 am

Emotional Support Crocodile wrote:I had a Baha'i teacher when I was at school. Rather appropriately he taught us comparative religion. Nice man, seems he died last year. RIP Mr Jenkins.

Its kind of easy to learn about all the different religions when you aren't closed to understanding them because of your beliefs.

Durius
Minister

Postby Durius » Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:12 am

Unogonduria wrote:
Durius wrote:Instead of me disproving my point, can you actually prove it yourself?

Well for starters, Jesus taught the Trinity, which cannot be found in any other religion.

There are many Christian denominations who do not accept it either. It's not just Islam and Bahaʼi Faith.

Repreteop
Ambassador

Postby Repreteop » Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:18 am

Durius wrote:
Unogonduria wrote:Well for starters, Jesus taught the Trinity, which cannot be found in any other religion.

There are many Christian denominations who do not accept it either. It's not just Islam and Bahaʼi Faith.

Believe it or not!

Repreteop
Ambassador

Postby Repreteop » Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:37 am

Unogonduria wrote:
Durius wrote:Instead of me disproving my point, can you actually prove it yourself?

Plot twist: Trimurti, Hinduism.
Last edited by Repreteop on Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Repreteop
Ambassador

Postby Repreteop » Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:41 am

(not to blow this up with separate messages, i found a better response)

"In contrast to the Muslims, Baháʼís do not believe that Muhammad is the final messenger of God, or rather define eschatology and end times references as metaphorical for changes in the ages or eras of mankind but that it and progress of God's guidance continues. Although, in common with Islam, the title the Seal of the Prophets is reserved for Muhammad, Baháʼís interpret it differently. They believe that the term Seal of the Prophets applies to a specific epoch, and that each prophet is the "seal" of his own epoch. Therefore, in the sense that all the prophets of God are united in the same "Cause of God", having the same underlying message, and all "abiding in the same tabernacle, soaring in the same heaven, seated upon the same throne, uttering the same speech, and proclaiming the same Faith", they can all claim to be "the return of all the Prophets". Likewise, since they all have "a definitely prescribed mission, a predestined revelation, and specially designated limitations", they can all claim to be the "seal of the prophets" for their own epoch. According to this understanding, there is no reason why another prophet cannot follow with a message which is a seal for his own specific epoch." - Wikipedia

Suriyanakhon
Senator

Founded: Apr 27, 2020
Democratic Socialists

Postby Suriyanakhon » Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:42 am

How does one reconcile Muhammad (pbuh) as a prophet of the Baháʼí faith when he said that al-Islam was the final revelation of God for believers, or that he would have rejected seeing himself as a manifestation of God (as the prophets have all said that shirk is an unforgivable sin)?
Repreteop wrote:
Unogonduria wrote:Well for starters, Jesus taught the Trinity, which cannot be found in any other religion.

Plot twist: Trimurti, Hinduism.

Wildly different concept tbh.
Resident Drowned Victorian Waif (he/him)
Imāmiyya Shīʿa Muslim

Page
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:43 am

Unogonduria wrote:

Have you read the Bible? I have. Please direct me to where Jesus taught the Trinity.

The concepts of trinity and godhead are scarcely Biblical. In fact, it pretty much all hinges on the first verses of the Gospel of John, but other parts of the Gospel imply Jesus is lesser than God the Father.
Anarcho-Communist Against: Bolsheviks, Fascists, TERFs, Putin, Autocrats, Conservatives, Ancaps, Bourgeoisie, Bigots, Liberals, Maoists

I don't believe in kink-shaming unless your kink is submitting to the state.

Repreteop
Ambassador

Postby Repreteop » Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:56 am

Suriyanakhon wrote:How does one reconcile Muhammad (pbuh) as a prophet of the Baháʼí faith when he said that al-Islam was the final revelation of God for believers, or that he would have rejected seeing himself as a manifestation of God (as the prophets have all said that shirk is an unforgivable sin)?

You see, God created prophets for progressive revelation, one of Muhammad's biggest feats is that he was the last prophet of the Adamic cycle which begun as with the manifestation of God referred to in various sacred scriptures as Adam, and ended with the dispensation of Muhammad. I believe in the Quran and I believe Muhammad's work was divine.

Page wrote:

Have you read the Bible? I have. Please direct me to where Jesus taught the Trinity.

The concepts of trinity and godhead are scarcely Biblical. In fact, it pretty much all hinges on the first verses of the Gospel of John, but other parts of the Gospel imply Jesus is lesser than God the Father.

I couldn't wrap my head on where it says theres a Godhead - three in one.

Repreteop
Ambassador

Postby Repreteop » Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:16 pm

Adreabhal
Secretary

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Adreabhal » Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:18 pm

Durius wrote:

I would go so far as to say those denominations are not Christian. Any actual Christian church certainly believes in the Trinity (Nicene Creed), thus, their point still stands.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General