NATION

PASSWORD

What's up with shipping?

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.
Cerespasia
Diplomat

Founded: May 13, 2023
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

What's up with shipping?

Postby Cerespasia » Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:05 am

Think of this thread as a joke if you will, but I feel like I have to throw this out there.

I am making this thread after seeing more than enough ship-related content on social media.

To begin with, I am in no way familiar with the concept of shipping until only recently, I don't have a lot of friends and for the most part, I don't really care about such things, and I am a straight person. Before I really got into fandoms, I originally thought that the community behind a specific media would be just a bunch of passionate people appreciating it through art or discussions, granted I was much younger around this time. I only knew of shipping until some time later, I can't exactly remember, and naturally, I feel a little discomfort seeing ship fanart.

I've been in the Henry Stickmin fandom since the early 2020s, but have known about the game series far earlier.

I know that shipping is okay to some extent, but for a person like me who has only truly known what shipping is, it's natural that I feel a bit of disgust towards shipping. Then there are people who say that the charm of shipping is taking two characters and putting them together because you can, I mean what chicanery is that? I feel more than a little repulsed towards that statement. The characters are canonically straight and in many instances, don't seem interested in each other, and they mean that they ship them because they can and for no other reason whatsoever? I'm no Anti-Ship person, I am totally fine with shipping, but ship art and very few glimpses of ship fics has really made me question the validity of shipping within the fandom I'm in, I think that people should at least take canon more seriously than it should, and not spit in its face and claim that canon is their bitch, because in some instances, canon goes flying straight out the window.

I've also seen, out of all things, TommyNFG's vid about shippers and an article regarding shipping psychology, and those things combined with everything I saw recently really made the "why?" within me even bigger.
Last edited by Cerespasia on Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
CERES IS BACK!
And I want some more..!
NSStats executed via full auto magdump from M55B Battle Rifle.
Current year: 19989 After Time. | Earthly equivalent: 2016 A.D.

Current flag: The stylized Standard of the Republic, feat. BDU'ed Henry.

Gaybeans
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 17, 2022
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Gaybeans » Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:42 am

Honestly, it doesn't matter in the slightest except on a few circumstances. 99% of the time, you can walk on by how someone engaged with a fandom.

I will remind you though that shipping is not exclusively gay (not saying you don't know that but since you mentioned you're straightness, thought I would mention). Heterosexual shipping is highly prevalent. How else do you think 50 Shades of Grey exist?

As I said, there's some aspects that I personally feel cross the line and some behaviour of rabid shippers ranges from Cringe to Actual Criminal Behaviour. But again, it's one of those things that there's always going to be a jerk in any given group.
]|I{•------»CAULK YOUR WAGON, MOUTHFACE«------•}I|[
she/her - godless heathen - gu sprogail
Θώθ

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:43 am

I moved this topic to Arts and Fiction.
The Blaatschapen should resign

Stellar Colonies
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 27, 2017

Postby Stellar Colonies » Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:45 am

I personally think it is weird, but some people really like it and it mostly doesn't cause any harm, unless people clash over their different visions of whether Character A should boink Character B or C, so I think there's no issues with it unless said shipping wars get out of hand.

When I'm in Star Trek circles though, it can be exasperating to have a K/S shipper go after me in force when I dare to broach the opinion that the interpretation of Kirk and Spock as close platonic friends is an equally valid perspective as them being hot and heavy lovers based on what's been depicted of their relationship.
Last edited by Stellar Colonies on Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Floofybit wrote:Your desired society should be one where you are submissive and controlled
Primitive Communism wrote:What bodily autonomy do men need?
Techocracy101010 wrote:If she goes on a rampage those saggy wonders are as deadly as nunchucks
Parmistan wrote:It's not ALWAYS acceptable when we do it, but it's MORE acceptable when we do it.
Theodorable wrote:Jihad will win.
Distruzio wrote:All marriage outside the Church is gay marriage.
Khardsland wrote:Terrorism in its original definition is a good thing.
I try to be objective, but I do have some biases.

North Californian.
Stellar Colonies is a loose galactic confederacy.

The Confederacy & the WA.

Add 1200 years.

North Cromch
Envoy

Founded: Apr 22, 2020
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby North Cromch » Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:56 am

Personally it often comes down to the ship itself. Kirby and Meta Knight - Definitely close friends, definitely not engaged, thank you very much. MK and Dedede & Kirby and Ribbon are backed up by canon anyway.

Cerespasia
Diplomat

Founded: May 13, 2023

Postby Cerespasia » Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:03 am

Straight ships, I'm okay with that kind of thing to some extent, but dare I say it, my biggest gripes are about gay ships and canon not being taken seriously to the point of it being the butt of a joke.
CERES IS BACK!
And I want some more..!
NSStats executed via full auto magdump from M55B Battle Rifle.
Current year: 19989 After Time. | Earthly equivalent: 2016 A.D.

Current flag: The stylized Standard of the Republic, feat. BDU'ed Henry.

Gaybeans
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Gaybeans » Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:24 pm

Cerespasia wrote:Straight ships, I'm okay with that kind of thing to some extent, but dare I say it, my biggest gripes are about gay ships and canon not being taken seriously to the point of it being the butt of a joke.

Why does it bother you though? Genuinely asking here. You don't need to engage with it and who cares about sticking close to canon in fanfiction anyway?

Like I get it if you're disinterested in gay romance. Like if I see another haphazard hetero romance stapled to a plot cause a dude and woman looked at each other which no other set up, I might just need to defenestrate my PC.

Like for example, Kingdom Hearts. Like the big romance is meant to be between Sora and Kairi and they have such...little amount of time together and you see almost nothing of Kairi to the point you could argue that Donald and goddamn Goofy have more of a character arc than she does. But uh oh they looked at each other, guess they're in love! And I'm gonna vomit cause it's just...so lifeless and unconvincing.

But enough of me rambling about that. Like I'm gonna be upfront, I'm vastly more interested in queer stories than hetero ones. You just need to say "hey theres lesbians in it" and I'm like, oh?? Fully biased on this account.

But I'm more interested in why how other people consume and engage in the fandom and material bothers you, particularly when it bothers you less if it's het. Does canon queer romance bother you too or is it just how the fandom focuses on it too much other any other aspect?You can just...not interact with that side of it and enjoy it on your terms.

And if I'm honest, saying stuff doesn't stick to canon...doesn't really matter. Some people just want to see more stories with their characters and whether that shifts them to different universes or silly situations that don't make sense, it's not relevant to them. Like, most people don't consider Dante's Divine Comedy canon to Christianity or the Greek Mythic Cycles or anything like that but it's still a rad bit of self insert mythohistorical fanfic.
Θώθ

Statesburg
Envoy

Founded: May 11, 2023
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Statesburg » Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:49 am

Gaybeans wrote:snip

Sorry about the short response, I’m typing this on my phone. I agree, it’s your right to ship whoever the hell you want to ship. But from an aroace perspective, I find most shipping quite bland, and occasionally suffocating. While I do like the occasional queer romance (Lumity, anyone?), I still want a plot outside of romance. And I do consume media just for the LGBTQ+ representation sometimes, but I just can’t relate to romance, regardless of the genders of whoever is involved. While non-straight romance is not as tired as the Heteros™ and their cultural dominance, it’s just not usually of interest to me. Often, shipping feels like “These two characters can be romantically attracted to each other, therefore they must! I am now obligated to tell the internet about this revelation!” Comrade, I just want to go back to the plot I was promised, not this bizarre new world of romance. On the off-chance that I do find myself enjoying romance, it’s because the characters are compelling and I genuinely enjoy their dynamic. And it better be close enough to canon if I’m going to engage with this ship. If there’s no basis in the source material, then I won’t really believe it. The point is, I don’t give a flying Dutchman about who you want to ship, but I’m probably not interested.
Statesburg™: DisagreementDefamation.
TG me if you want to talk about random stuff or if you want a countryball. Now trying (unsuccessfully) to write better! Self-deprecation is my one skill. I eat bassoons when I’m called British, even by myself. I hit 100 before Canada Day!
Bassoons eaten: 1336
NS stats are cannon, meaning they were shot out one. The sig news is canon (not cannon.)
I’m a basket case hailing from the glorious bioregion of Cascadia. I support Cascadian secession/unity. Statesburg usually represents my views. The one true Washington is the state.

THE CITYSTADT CHRONICLE: Toy hammer production up 84% since 2023 // Dropkick Murphys visit Statesburg // Head Comrade O’Cannon launched from a cannon // Statesburg gains recognition by Cuba // Help me, I can’t write

Socalist Republic Of Mercenaries
Minister

Founded: Aug 30, 2022
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Socalist Republic Of Mercenaries » Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:53 am

Cerespasia wrote:people who say that the charm of shipping is taking two characters and putting them together because you can

For real
(I ship my OCs and then tell people to "Cope mald seethe" when people say otherwise 8) )
Beisinghausen man shot dead after reaching for a law enforcement officer's sidearm, last words were "blud you are giving sus ohio npc vibes" | Local loan shark apprehended, forced to watch Lankybox videos. | Corrupt politician thrown off 5th floor building by angry mob,"he deserved it", local authorities say | American tourist dressed as "Skibidi Toilet" arrested in Beisinghausen airport for illegal posession of Cannabis
A bunch of space mercs in a confederation Authoritarian oligarchy led by Karl von Larenz
Member of KTO, Founder of FWC
SafetyFreedom

Gaybeans
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Gaybeans » Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:48 am

Statesburg wrote:Sorry about the short response, I’m typing this on my phone. I agree, it’s your right to ship whoever the hell you want to ship. But from an aroace perspective, I find most shipping quite bland, and occasionally suffocating. While I do like the occasional queer romance (Lumity, anyone?), I still want a plot outside of romance. And I do consume media just for the LGBTQ+ representation sometimes, but I just can’t relate to romance, regardless of the genders of whoever is involved. While non-straight romance is not as tired as the Heteros™ and their cultural dominance, it’s just not usually of interest to me. Often, shipping feels like “These two characters can be romantically attracted to each other, therefore they must! I am now obligated to tell the internet about this revelation!” Comrade, I just want to go back to the plot I was promised, not this bizarre new world of romance. On the off-chance that I do find myself enjoying romance, it’s because the characters are compelling and I genuinely enjoy their dynamic. And it better be close enough to canon if I’m going to engage with this ship. If there’s no basis in the source material, then I won’t really believe it. The point is, I don’t give a flying Dutchman about who you want to ship, but I’m probably not interested.

That's absolutely fair enough! There is nothing more irritating than constantly ignoring the massive urgent plot to dabble in romance drama. And so many ships are based on flimsy canon. I personally don't mind that but I can see why it would be utterly tedious to encounter. You're just trying to discuss the plot and lore but it's drowned out by "omg dingus and bingus are totes in love".
Θώθ

New Temecula
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 11, 2023

Postby New Temecula » Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:59 am

I am full-quoting a telegram I sent to the OP when he personally asked me the question:

*ON AIR*

It's time for America's most controversial time of the day:
Unpopular Opinions w/ New Temecula!
When people ship characters from popular fictional media, I really couldn't care less. As long as they don't amp it up by 34 (iykyk), it's "whatever."

The romantic shipping of fictional characters stands more as a minor inconvinience than something I would jump off of a cliff to. It's kinda like pouring milk before cereal as opposed to pouring milk and cereal onto a napkin.

With that being said, shipping real-life people or fictional characters under 18 is never alright. Same goes for Rule 34, it should burn in hell.

...and that wraps it up for tonight! Stay tuned to find out what New Temecula has to say about the raid of Breb-
Controversial Opinions w/ New Temecula!
Last edited by New Temecula on Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
ᨂemecu᱾aᨎᨂemecu᱾aᨎᨂemecu᱾aᨎ
"Hello, peeps and cheeps of NS!"
It's New Temecula here! The famous F7 ostrich-obsessed idiot who makes mediocre art and overdecorated posts!
Do you like my new, modernized signature? Of course you do, it has a cool Gradient and has ռօ լатוи снаяастеяֆ բօя аה սոժյ՜ֆכլоֆеժ гפձֆסդ!
NS stats were Altatemese sympethizers from the Altatem Attempt; they were stripped of their rights and thrown in prison!

NT + Verkhoyanska FOREVER AND A DAY!

Gaybeans
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Gaybeans » Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:38 am

New Temecula wrote:I am full-quoting a telegram I sent to the OP when he personally asked me the question:

*ON AIR*

It's time for America's most controversial time of the day:
Unpopular Opinions w/ New Temecula!
When people ship characters from popular fictional media, I really couldn't care less. As long as they don't amp it up by 34 (iykyk), it's "whatever."

The romantic shipping of fictional characters stands more as a minor inconvinience than something I would jump off of a cliff to. It's kinda like pouring milk before cereal as opposed to pouring milk and cereal onto a napkin.

With that being said, shipping real-life people or fictional characters under 18 is never alright. Same goes for Rule 34, it should burn in hell.

...and that wraps it up for tonight! Stay tuned to find out what New Temecula has to say about the raid of Breb-
Controversial Opinions w/ New Temecula!

Honestly that's a pretty sensible opinion.

Genuinely get baffled by people who ship *actual* people, gives me the ick.
Θώθ

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction