NATION

PASSWORD

Is Black History Month racist?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
User avatar
Repreteop
Diplomat
 
Posts: 732
Founded: Dec 01, 2020
Democratic Socialists

Is Black History Month racist?

Postby Repreteop » Sat Dec 02, 2023 1:41 pm

West Barack and East Obama wrote:Next NSG thread: is the name 'Black History month' racist?


You betcha, today we have something important, we have pressing issues to speak about.

As Morgan Freeman said, the term Black History Month is supposedly a insult.

But is it a insult? Me personally, I don't know. I believe that black history should be taught all year. Black contribution to world and American history is tremendous, with us even once having a black person as a president. If you didn't know, Barack Obama was president for 8 years, not just a month, having done many things as president of the United States of America.

Black History Month is simply too short, we must have Black History Year if you ask me.

My conclusion is, making Black History only a one month thing is messed up and wrong, we should teach people this sorta stuff all YEAR!!!

Whats your opinion?

(i know these threads are crazy, this is sort of serious, sort of satire. i highly support mandating teaching black history alot more than its already taught. black history is world history)

(pls no flame)
Last edited by Repreteop on Sat Dec 02, 2023 1:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
() Repreteop ()

WHAT COUNTRY ARE YOU FROM? WHAT AIN'T A COUNTRY I EVER HEARD OF, DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?

User avatar
Northern Woods
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 392
Founded: Nov 12, 2023
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Northern Woods » Sat Dec 02, 2023 1:52 pm

Repreteop wrote:
West Barack and East Obama wrote:Next NSG thread: is the name 'Black History month' racist?


You betcha, today we have something important, we have pressing issues to speak about.

As Morgan Freeman said, the term Black History Month is supposedly a insult.

But is it a insult? Me personally, I don't know. I believe that black history should be taught all year. Black contribution to world and American history is tremendous, with us even once having a black person as a president. If you didn't know, Barack Obama was president for 8 years, not just a month, having done many things as president of the United States of America.

Black History Month is simply too short, we must have Black History Year if you ask me.

My conclusion is, making Black History only a one month thing is messed up and wrong, we should teach people this sorta stuff all YEAR!!!

Whats your opinion?

(i know these threads are crazy, this is sort of serious, sort of satire. i highly support mandating teaching black history alot more than its already taught. black history is world history)

(pls no flame)


Me personally I agree but I don't think it's racist, more so just not enough I believe history from all races no matter if you're black, white, asian or more we should all respect each other [except for dictators like Chairman Pooh or Vladimir Pudding however that's not really a race matter] and learn about eachother.
Please refer to Northern Woods as Woodsia
NOTHING HAPPENED ON MT. SCOUT AT EXACTLY 7:09 PM EST ON 11/30/23

User avatar
Repreteop
Diplomat
 
Posts: 732
Founded: Dec 01, 2020
Democratic Socialists

Postby Repreteop » Sat Dec 02, 2023 1:54 pm

Northern Woods wrote:
Repreteop wrote:
You betcha, today we have something important, we have pressing issues to speak about.

As Morgan Freeman said, the term Black History Month is supposedly a insult.

But is it a insult? Me personally, I don't know. I believe that black history should be taught all year. Black contribution to world and American history is tremendous, with us even once having a black person as a president. If you didn't know, Barack Obama was president for 8 years, not just a month, having done many things as president of the United States of America.

Black History Month is simply too short, we must have Black History Year if you ask me.

My conclusion is, making Black History only a one month thing is messed up and wrong, we should teach people this sorta stuff all YEAR!!!

Whats your opinion?

(i know these threads are crazy, this is sort of serious, sort of satire. i highly support mandating teaching black history alot more than its already taught. black history is world history)

(pls no flame)


Me personally I agree but I don't think it's racist, more so just not enough I believe history from all races no matter if you're black, white, asian or more we should all respect each other [except for dictators like Chairman Pooh or Vladimir Pudding however that's not really a race matter] and learn about eachother.


I think we all can be friends too!
() Repreteop ()

WHAT COUNTRY ARE YOU FROM? WHAT AIN'T A COUNTRY I EVER HEARD OF, DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?

User avatar
Dumb Ideologies
Post Czar
 
Posts: 45832
Founded: Sep 30, 2007
Mother Knows Best State

Postby Dumb Ideologies » Sat Dec 02, 2023 2:08 pm

Yes. It'd be polite to hold one maybe if they were all leaving, like how everyone gathers around a departing colleague's desk on their last day for their line manager to awkwardly read some unfunny anecdotes.
Are these "human rights" in the room with us right now?
★彡 Professional pessimist. Reactionary socialist and gamer liberationist. Coffee addict. Fun at parties 彡★
Freedom is when people agree with you, and the more people you can force to act like they agree the freer society is
You are the trolley problem's conductor. You could stop the train in time but you do not. Nobody knows you're part of the equation. You satisfy your bloodlust and get away with it every time

User avatar
Repreteop
Diplomat
 
Posts: 732
Founded: Dec 01, 2020
Democratic Socialists

Postby Repreteop » Sat Dec 02, 2023 2:11 pm

Dumb Ideologies wrote:Yes. It'd be polite to hold one maybe if they were all leaving, like how everyone gathers around a departing colleague's desk on their last day for their line manager to awkwardly read some unfunny anecdotes.


Good idea.
() Repreteop ()

WHAT COUNTRY ARE YOU FROM? WHAT AIN'T A COUNTRY I EVER HEARD OF, DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?

User avatar
Cannot think of a name
Post Czar
 
Posts: 44765
Founded: Antiquity
New York Times Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Sat Dec 02, 2023 2:28 pm

Endless summer.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

User avatar
New Socialist South Africa
Minister
 
Posts: 3432
Founded: Aug 31, 2013
New York Times Democracy

Postby New Socialist South Africa » Sat Dec 02, 2023 2:28 pm

No. Much in the same way that women's day isn't sexist.

Of course the histories of black people should be taught year round, and fortunately in many places they are. Black history month emerged as a way to try highlight the fact that there is a legacy of black voices being overlooked in history. The fact that this refocusing on overlooked voices has been met with opposition is emblematic of the ongoing discomfort with examining this difficult legacy.

"I oppose black history month because it should be year round" is like watching someone listening to one woman, and then calling them a sexist because we should be listening to ALL women. Life isn't all or nothing, it starts small and blossoms out, and undermining efforts for change is generally the approach of the ignorant and / or the ill-intentioned.

It is also rather telling that the proponents of this are generally historians, academics and activists, while the opponents are generally rich actors looking for a soundbite, or those opposed to the discussions around these voices, who are either willing to say so openly, or who hide behind the idea of it "not being enough" to avoid being exposed as racists.
"I find that offensive" is never a sound counter argument.
"Men in general are quick to believe that which they wish to be true." - Gaius Julius Caesar
"I'm for truth, no matter who tells it. I'm for justice, no matter who it's for or against." - Malcolm X
"The soul of a nation can be seen in the way it treats its children" - Nelson Mandela
The wealth of humanity should be determined by that of the poorest individual.

"What makes a man

Strength enough to build a home
Time enough to hold a child
and Love enough to break a heart".

Terry Pratchett


Olthar wrote:Anyone who buys "x-ray specs" expecting them to be real deserves to lose their money.

User avatar
Bradfordville
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 7559
Founded: Apr 30, 2023
Ex-Nation

Postby Bradfordville » Sat Dec 02, 2023 3:11 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:Endless summer.


Now you can't change the channel.
Never ask a man his salary, a woman her age, or C.C. DeVille to play a guitar solo.

Eternal Algerstonia wrote:there are no patriots or globalists in russia, just idiots

User avatar
Dumb Ideologies
Post Czar
 
Posts: 45832
Founded: Sep 30, 2007
Mother Knows Best State

Postby Dumb Ideologies » Sat Dec 02, 2023 3:58 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:Endless summer.


nsg beach party
Are these "human rights" in the room with us right now?
★彡 Professional pessimist. Reactionary socialist and gamer liberationist. Coffee addict. Fun at parties 彡★
Freedom is when people agree with you, and the more people you can force to act like they agree the freer society is
You are the trolley problem's conductor. You could stop the train in time but you do not. Nobody knows you're part of the equation. You satisfy your bloodlust and get away with it every time

User avatar
Nyoskova
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 190
Founded: Feb 05, 2018
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Nyoskova » Sat Dec 02, 2023 4:02 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:Endless summer.

I guess this is one of the reasons why I am a winter person.
Last edited by Nyoskova on Sat Dec 02, 2023 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
▀█████▄█████▀
▀█████▄█████▀

████

I do not know how smart I am. I do not know how wrong I am. ❦ I believe that maintaining the earth should be our first priority. ❦ I believe in the harm principle as expressed in the fourth and fifth articles of the Declaration of the Rights of Man and of the Citizen. ❦ I believe that gender roles are redundant. ❦ I’m bisexual and genderfluid. I accept all pronouns. You don’t have to worry about unintentionally offending me.
NS stats are no longer to be considered canon except for the lack of charmlessness and absence of obesity. For “AL YL BL” forums, refer to Alvilde Sirén.

User avatar
Kreigsreich of Iron
Diplomat
 
Posts: 809
Founded: Jul 11, 2022
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kreigsreich of Iron » Sat Dec 02, 2023 4:04 pm

Sort of. Having « placeholder months » in the first place goes completely against the idea of racial equality. Unless everyone has a month, then it’s just racism in favour of persons of colour. (Which is a real thing. Look up “Black Supremacism.”)
NS Stats are canon, except for Capitalism, Slavery, and WA membership.
According to this index, a .5 class civilisation
Archconservative French imperialist struggling with a NSG addiction.
My commentaries in blue.
I reserve the right to/still me for any reason whatsoever.
Pronouns are he/him/his. I am currently focusing on my alt account HRopolis. Any telegrams except for RP should be addressed to that account.

User avatar
Bradfordville
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 7559
Founded: Apr 30, 2023
Ex-Nation

Postby Bradfordville » Sat Dec 02, 2023 4:16 pm

Kreigsreich of Iron wrote:Sort of. Having « placeholder months » in the first place goes completely against the idea of racial equality. Unless everyone has a month, then it’s just racism in favour of persons of colour. (Which is a real thing. Look up “Black Supremacism.”)


African Americans are an ethnicity though, not just a skin color group like white Americans. They have a culture of their own and shared origins. Many white people do have their own ethnic holidays like st Patrick's day or Greek American month.
Never ask a man his salary, a woman her age, or C.C. DeVille to play a guitar solo.

Eternal Algerstonia wrote:there are no patriots or globalists in russia, just idiots

User avatar
Kreigsreich of Iron
Diplomat
 
Posts: 809
Founded: Jul 11, 2022
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kreigsreich of Iron » Sat Dec 02, 2023 4:36 pm

Bradfordville wrote:
Kreigsreich of Iron wrote:Sort of. Having « placeholder months » in the first place goes completely against the idea of racial equality. Unless everyone has a month, then it’s just racism in favour of persons of colour. (Which is a real thing. Look up “Black Supremacism.”)


African Americans are an ethnicity though, not just a skin color group like white Americans. They have a culture of their own and shared origins. Many white people do have their own ethnic holidays like st Patrick's day or Greek American month.

So you’re denying that Caucasians are an ethnicity?
NS Stats are canon, except for Capitalism, Slavery, and WA membership.
According to this index, a .5 class civilisation
Archconservative French imperialist struggling with a NSG addiction.
My commentaries in blue.
I reserve the right to/still me for any reason whatsoever.
Pronouns are he/him/his. I am currently focusing on my alt account HRopolis. Any telegrams except for RP should be addressed to that account.

User avatar
Bradfordville
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 7559
Founded: Apr 30, 2023
Ex-Nation

Postby Bradfordville » Sat Dec 02, 2023 4:37 pm

Kreigsreich of Iron wrote:
Bradfordville wrote:
African Americans are an ethnicity though, not just a skin color group like white Americans. They have a culture of their own and shared origins. Many white people do have their own ethnic holidays like st Patrick's day or Greek American month.

So you’re denying that Caucasians are an ethnicity?


Yes, because they're not an ethnicity. An ethnic group is a group that shares culture and language. "Caucasians" are a poorly defined group of people who vaguely resemble one another but have radically different cultures.

Italian is an ethnicity.
Greek is an ethnicity.
Turkish is an ethnicity.
Irish is an ethnicity.

Caucasian is a race label.
Never ask a man his salary, a woman her age, or C.C. DeVille to play a guitar solo.

Eternal Algerstonia wrote:there are no patriots or globalists in russia, just idiots

User avatar
Simonia
Diplomat
 
Posts: 636
Founded: Aug 13, 2023
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Simonia » Sat Dec 02, 2023 4:39 pm

At least a month is better than nothing. Other than Black history, other ethnicities still have their own tale worthy histories.
Hello there. I'm Simonia of Majestia Anegana.
Our nation has twenty-one provinces, four regions, and four capitals.
And before you ask, Pink Castle City is called that for its pink castle, Pink Castle City's main building.
Simonian News: War flag activated for N-Day | Florida man arrested for sabotaging Snezh-Dixie trip | 10000 lucky exchange students selected to go to Snezh-Dixie
Our IC puppets are Payonia and Floricia-Leanna.
The regions were created when they were unclaimed.
Our three-letter code is SMN.
If you want to chat, TG me.
The castle (which came before PCC) is pink because why not.
I have a YT channel.
I don't like fascists. At all.
#SaveFP

User avatar
Quaxoglia
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 458
Founded: Jun 15, 2014
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Quaxoglia » Sat Dec 02, 2023 4:41 pm

I don't know much about this, as a Belgian... so I don't have an opinion about this.
What I read about it, I don't think it's racist. It's important to learn about slavery and how the African American community came to the US and freed itself in the 60s.
Federal Empire of QUAXOGLIA
Empiria Federalicai deul KASOGLA
========================
DOMANI KANOGISONAI - OUR COUNTRY - UNSER LAND ©2014-2024
BREAKING NEWS: Autumn 2023: more than 70% of hotels are fully booked.***  Quaxoglia supports Israel, but is very worried about the civilian losses in Palestine. PM Nadrauwska: "Negotiations about a two state solution should start immediately". *** FTA between Quaxoglia and the Celestinian Empire is signed *** The name of the newest national park is revealed: Cascadás - Triapino National Park ***

User avatar
Repreteop
Diplomat
 
Posts: 732
Founded: Dec 01, 2020
Democratic Socialists

Postby Repreteop » Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:20 pm

Kreigsreich of Iron wrote:
Bradfordville wrote:
African Americans are an ethnicity though, not just a skin color group like white Americans. They have a culture of their own and shared origins. Many white people do have their own ethnic holidays like st Patrick's day or Greek American month.

So you’re denying that Caucasians are an ethnicity?


The word Caucasian is a obsolete racial classification of some people based on the disproven theory of biological race. The term was coined by people who believe that Europeans came from the Caucasus mountains, the reason being due to them believing that Noahs Ark ended up there.

The same people created other racial classifications that I wouldn't even say, but you can easily find them if you do more research.

Really, its just a scientific term that is also put into some "scientific" racism.
() Repreteop ()

WHAT COUNTRY ARE YOU FROM? WHAT AIN'T A COUNTRY I EVER HEARD OF, DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?

User avatar
The Golden Pig
Secretary
 
Posts: 36
Founded: Aug 07, 2023
New York Times Democracy

Postby The Golden Pig » Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:22 pm

Probably a joke post but I'm confused at how a month dedicated to a certain group is somehow offensive.
My nation sometimes represents my political beliefs, othertimes not. It depends on how I'm feeling.

User avatar
Repreteop
Diplomat
 
Posts: 732
Founded: Dec 01, 2020
Democratic Socialists

Postby Repreteop » Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:25 pm

Kreigsreich of Iron wrote:Sort of. Having « placeholder months » in the first place goes completely against the idea of racial equality. Unless everyone has a month, then it’s just racism in favour of persons of colour. (Which is a real thing. Look up “Black Supremacism.”)


I guess the actually realistic thing I am trying to get at is that I think we should promote education about black peoples contribution to history alot more than just a sudden outburst one month of the year.
() Repreteop ()

WHAT COUNTRY ARE YOU FROM? WHAT AIN'T A COUNTRY I EVER HEARD OF, DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?

User avatar
Floofybit
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 7966
Founded: Sep 11, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Floofybit » Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:22 pm

1st time funny, 2nd time kinda funny, 3rd time... Please stop.
The Golden Pig wrote:Probably a joke post but I'm confused at how a month dedicated to a certain group is somehow offensive.

Really? Dedicating something to one group of people is not offensive to those who did not get the dedication.

Although, I don't really care if someone is offended. Black history month is good.
Last edited by Floofybit on Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Compass: Northwest
Reformative Authoritarian Pacifist
Pro: Socialism, Authoritarianism, The Right To Life, Environment, Public Services, Government, Equity and Equality, Surveillance, Police, Religion, Pacifism, Fruit
Anti: Capitalism, Liberalism, Abortion, Anarchy, Inequality, Crime, Drugs, Guns, Violence, Fruit-Haters
Religious ace male furry who really, really, really loves fruit.
Broadcasting From Foxlington
Safety & Equality > Freedom
If I CTE hold a funeral because I'm dead :)
What's that over there!
Telegram me your favourite colour, I'm doing a survey

User avatar
Lazio-Toscana and Veneto-Lombardia
Secretary
 
Posts: 39
Founded: Nov 17, 2023
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Lazio-Toscana and Veneto-Lombardia » Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:25 pm

Who are we saying it's racist against? Cos it's definitely not blacks.
"In bocca al lupo // Crepi il lupo"
~Motto of the LTERVL States
"I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" ~ Voltaire.
NS policies are canon except for the cannibalism one.
Factbook in progress.
Alt of Adharcáilí



Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Carolina Sur, Corporate Collective Salvation, Fartsniffage, Gabeonia, Gun Manufacturers, Hrstrovokia, Soviet Kem, The Two Jerseys, Tinhampton, Valrifall

Advertisement

Remove ads