NATION

PASSWORD

[Draft 3] - Improving Public Sanitation

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Simone Republic
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 09, 2019
Capitalist Paradise

[Draft 3] - Improving Public Sanitation

Postby Simone Republic » Sat Nov 25, 2023 3:27 am

This resolution proposal has been comprehensively re-written to cover all forms of sanitation in public areas. It also replaces GAR#647.

Category: civil rights/mild

The right to sanitation really should be a civil right and is not health/healthcare.

Draft 3

The World Assembly (WA),

Affirming the WA’s long-standing commitment to sanitation, through GARs 97, 103, 288 and 702;

Noting the need to formulate additional rules regarding sanitation in public areas, to prevent the spread of diseases and entrench a culture of maintaining a hygienic environment at all times;

The WA hereby enacts the following:

1. Definitions.
    1. ”Authority” means one or more entities designated by a WA state as in charge of enforcing and interpreting this resolution.
    2. "Public areas" means any indoor or outdoor areas where sapient individuals may frequent or congregate, such as markets, parks, schools, hospitals, offices, factories, transport facilities, and all public restrooms. This is regardless of the ownership of the said areas.
    3. "WHA" to mean the World Health Assembly.
  2. Hygiene in public areas.
    1. All operators are required to meet minimum standards of cleanliness, environmental hygiene, waste disposal, disinfection and maintenance in accordance with WHA standards.
    2. Any additional standards imposed by authorities may not be less stringent than WHA standards.
  3. Restrooms in public areas.
    1. All owners and operators (“operators”) of public areas are required to provide "hygienic restrooms", a term defined as one that complies with all of clauses (4) to (5).
    2. All hygienic restrooms in public areas shall be free-of-charge at the point of access.
    3. Operators should ensure that hygienic restrooms are available for both paying customers (such as, say, train ticket holders) as well as visitors.
    4. Such restrooms shall also accommodate different sapient species if an authority determines that such public areas are frequented by multiple sapient species.
    5. Existing restrooms that do not meet the said standards are required to convert their restrooms to meet such standards as soon as reasonably practicable.
  4. Facilities in hygienic restrooms. The WHA shall set forth appropriate standards (subject to variations by sapient species) on the following:
    1. Fixtures and fittings appropriate for individuals of different physical capabilities, as well as protecting the privacy of all users;
    2. Sanitation facilities, such as water closets, availability of running water (both for cleaning and flushing), plumbing, facilities for changing diapers, sewage disposal, waste disposal, and other auxiliary facilities;
    3. Hygiene standards, such as air circulation, disinfection, and maintenance.
    4. The WHA may tailor certain standards for certain areas, such as some restroom facilities in prisons and psychiatric hospitals where privacy is outweighed by other concerns.
  5. Consumables. All hygienic restrooms must provide at least the following consumables of a reasonable quality and quantity, and entirely free-of-charge:
    1. toilet papers and other sanitary products such as soap, hand sanitizer, disposable towels, and diapers (for both adults and infants);
    2. menstrual products, regardless of whether restrooms are assigned by gender (or identified gender) or have no gender identification.
  6. Excretion in public.
    1. Each WA state should provide adequate public restrooms in all public areas frequented by sapient individuals to avoid excretion in public.
    2. Each WA state shall ensure that its laws are accommodating towards both areas where the presence of sapient individuals is infrequent or inhospitable, and also be tolerant towards sapient individuals who may violate any laws against excretion in public due to unavoidable reasons such as medical conditions.
  7. Education. Each authority is to ensure that education on the following matters form part of their basic education requirements:
    1. Maintenance of basic public hygiene standards, such as proper cleaning after the use of toilets; and
    2. Menstruation and its relationship with health and the biology of various sapient species, and to prevent any cultural stigma associated with menstruation.

Char count : 4,057
Last edited by Simone Republic on Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:50 am, edited 33 times in total.
All posts OOC. (He/him). I don't speak for TNP. IC the "white bear" (it) is for jokes only.

Terra Magnifica Gloria
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 25, 2023
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Terra Magnifica Gloria » Sat Nov 25, 2023 3:39 am

C’mon, the piss puddles are the fun part!

In all seriousness, this is a very in-depth GA proposal about a subject most people wouldn’t bat an eye to, which is your usual style based on what I’ve seen. But could you clarify if “birth control pills” also applies in nations where birth control is illegal, and whether this applies to nations with closed borders? As a nation which has both of those policies (that are canon), it would influence my vote drastically if that was clarified. Additionally, I see a ton of nations that are outwardly xenophobic and genocidal to other species (The ones that come to my mind are Greater Terran Redemption Authority and Rattenreich), and I would like to know if that is included by this resolution.
Last edited by Terra Magnifica Gloria on Sat Nov 25, 2023 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
MORS ADVERSERIS!!!

Friendly neighbourhood dystopia

Simone Republic
Ambassador

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Simone Republic » Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:21 am

Terra Magnifica Gloria wrote:C’mon, the piss puddles are the fun part!

In all seriousness, this is a very in-depth GA proposal about a subject most people wouldn’t bat an eye to, which is your usual style based on what I’ve seen. But could you clarify if “birth control pills” also applies in nations where birth control is illegal, and whether this applies to nations with closed borders? As a nation which has both of those policies (that are canon), it would influence my vote drastically if that was clarified. Additionally, I see a ton of nations that are outwardly xenophobic and genocidal to other species (The ones that come to my mind are Greater Terran Redemption Authority and Rattenreich), and I would like to know if that is included by this resolution.

I can take out the birth control bits, I mean they are not normally free at toilets anyway.

Since 4(a) has an "if" qualifier, if you don't have any visitors then obviously you need to take care of your own folks (humans or whatever species)
All posts OOC. (He/him). I don't speak for TNP. IC the "white bear" (it) is for jokes only.

Honeydewistania
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:00 am

Category/strength?

Also, the cleanliness of toilets are an international issue in the slightest.
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Alger wrote:if you have egoquotes in your signature, touch grass

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Sun Nov 26, 2023 4:50 am

Your code at the end of Article 2 is broken.

All hygienic restrooms must meet Article 2 standards. It's therefore superfluous to talk about hygienic restrooms that comform with Article 2.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Simone Republic
Ambassador

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Simone Republic » Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:49 pm

Draft 1

The World Assembly (WA),

Noting that the WA encourages travel between member states, and that different sapient species travelling outside of their home states may encounter issues with the availability of restrooms, given differences in physical dimensions;

Noting that hygienic restrooms with proper facilities are important for environmental hygiene as well as preventing the spread of diseases (such as via the fecal-oral route) which can result in dire consequences if such diseases jump barriers between species or between WA states;

Desiring minimum common standards across member states to tackle such issues; hereby:

1. Defines:

1. "Publicly accessible facilities" to mean any physical facility where individual members of sapient species are expected to frequent or congregate, such as markets, schools, hospitals, workplaces, government facilities and transport facilities;
    2. "Public restrooms" to mean standalone restrooms where anyone nearby may use and provided by a government (at a national or local level) of a WA state;
    3. "WHA" to mean the World Health Assembly;
    4. References to "such as" are merely as examples only;
  2. Requires that the WHA shall set minimum standards for "hygienic restrooms", and to update such standards from time to time as it deems appropriate, including:

1. Fixtures and fittings in restrooms in publicly accessible facilities that are appropriate for different sapient species, such as minimum sizes (and water pressure for flushing) for water closets, urinal stalls, lavatory basins, nappy-changing facilities, plumbings, water supply and sewage treatment and disposal, and other auxiliary facilities, adjusting for differing levels of technology sophistication for individual WA states; and
    2. Fixtures and fittings for restrooms for different sapient species with special needs (such as wheelchair access); and
    3. Minimum levels of hygiene, such as cleanliness, air circulation, and maintenance standards;
    4. Minimum levels of privacy, except in very specific settings designated as such by the WHA (such as prisons);
  3. Requires that each WA state shall ensure that:

1. All operators of newly constructed publicly accessible facilities must ensure that adequate numbers of hygienic restrooms are available that comply with the minimum standards set in clause (2);
    2. All operators of existing publicly accessible facilities must ensure that adequate numbers of hygienic restrooms are available on a best efforts basis with the standards set in clause (2) as soon as practicable, including converting existing facilities and constructing new facilities specifically for such purposes;
    3. All operators of "hygienic restrooms" must provide access to such restrooms free of charge, and, at a minimum, provide the following consumables of a reasonable quality and quantity, also free of charge:
      1. toilet papers;
      2. menstrual products;
      3. running water, soap, hand sanitizer, tissues, and other products necessary for sanitation;
  4. Requires that each WA state shall ensure that:

1. If the said state receives a significant number of visitors from different sapient species (such as bears visiting WA states inhabited mostly by humans) that appropriate hygienic restrooms for different sapient species are widely available and in adequate numbers;
    2. All public restrooms meet the requirements for "hygienic restrooms" and be free of charge at the point of use;
  5. Requires that all restrooms in all workplaces and facilities operated by any of the committees, bodies and organs of the WA (including the WA Headquarters and all locations of WA Choice Plus) meet the requirements for "hygienic restrooms" and all privacy requirements set forth by the WHA;

6. Clarifies that:

1. Clause 3c is applicable to all sections of restrooms even if certain sections are designated for use by certain genders (howsoever defined);
    2. Except for clause 4b, this resolution does not regulate whether access to the publicly accessible facilities itself may attract charges, such as whether restrooms located inside train stations are located in paid or unpaid areas, or whether access to workplaces is restricted from visitors;
    3. This resolution does not regulate whether individual WA states need to provide public restrooms at all, or whether they permit urinating or defecating in public;
    4. One or more competent authorities, at a national or local level, as the WA state deems appropriate, is designated as responsible for implementing, enforcing and interpreting this resolution, including regular inspections by the said authorities, except for publicly accessible facilities defined in clause (TBC), for which the Office of Building Management is responsible.
[/list]

Char count: 4,977

Draft 2 has been published.
Last edited by Simone Republic on Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Palentine
Diplomat

Founded: May 18, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Palentine » Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:39 am

Seriously? The Festering Snakepit has to waste its time and effort over something that IS CLEARLY a local issue for municipalities, states or nations. Absolutely opposed to this drek!

See you in the funny papers,
Sen. Horatio Sulla
"There aren't quite as many irredeemable folks as everyone thinks."
-The Dourian Embassy

"Yeah, but some (like Sen. Sulla) have to count for, like 20 or 30 all by themselves."
-Hack

The Overmind
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 12, 2022
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby The Overmind » Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:14 am

The Palentine wrote:Seriously? The Festering Snakepit has to waste its time and effort over something that IS CLEARLY a local issue for municipalities, states or nations. Absolutely opposed to this drek!

Sen. Horatio Sulla

We are indeed one collective hive mind, which is why you should support my proposal as well as this one.
Free Palestine

Trans men are men | Trans women are women | Sex is non-binary
Assigned sex isn't biological sex | Trans rights are human rights

Neuroscientist | Formerly Heavens Reach | He/Him/His

The Palentine
Diplomat

Founded: May 18, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Palentine » Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:47 pm

I still don't see all the fuss. Sure they're rather gross, but that just teaches you not to be so squeamish. Unhygenic bathrooms builds character and can even be good for you. I credit the old revolving cloth roll towels in public bathrooms and gas station bathrooms for my immune system being nigh invulnerable to germs and disease.

Sen. Horatio Sulla
Last edited by The Palentine on Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There aren't quite as many irredeemable folks as everyone thinks."
-The Dourian Embassy

"Yeah, but some (like Sen. Sulla) have to count for, like 20 or 30 all by themselves."
-Hack

Simone Republic
Ambassador

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Simone Republic » Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:42 am

The Palentine wrote:I still don't see all the fuss. Sure they're rather gross, but that just teaches you not to be so squeamish. Unhygenic bathrooms builds character and can even be good for you. I credit the old revolving cloth roll towels in public bathrooms and gas station bathrooms for my immune system being nigh invulnerable to germs and disease.

Sen. Horatio Sulla

On the assumption that we are inhabited by multiple species (humans, bears, cars, whatever) then some commonality is necessarily. Obviously this is not going to have an IRL equivalent since each country usually does its own thing.

The WHO does have sanitation guidelines but I haven't really thought about incorporating that into this resolution, at least not yet.

https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-shee ... sanitation

Comfed
Minister

Founded: Apr 09, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Comfed » Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:52 pm

Simone Republic wrote:On the assumption that we are inhabited by multiple species (humans, bears, cars, whatever) then some commonality is necessarily.

Is it, though? I mean, come on, this isn't the local medical office of health of NationStates :P

Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:19 pm

The Palentine wrote:Seriously? The Festering Snakepit has to waste its time and effort over something that IS CLEARLY a local issue for municipalities, states or nations. Absolutely opposed to this drek!

Sen. Horatio Sulla

"We agree with the honourable comrade Senator."
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Simone Republic
Ambassador

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Simone Republic » Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:36 am

Bananaistan wrote:

Sen. Horatio Sulla

"We agree with the honourable comrade Senator."

This has been very comprehensively revised to cover public sanitation, rather than just public restrooms, and to tie together more with existing resolutions such as GAR 288.

Draft 2

Draft 2
The World Assembly (WA),

Affirming the WA’s long-standing encouragement of travel between WA states,

Upholding the WA’s long-standing concerns on the health and hygiene of sapient individuals, as well as environmental hygiene;

Noting the need to prevent spreading diseases (such as via the fecal-oral route), which can be detrimental to public health if such diseases (say) jump barriers between species;

The WA hereby enacts the following:

1. Definitions.
    1. ”Excretion” means urination, defecation, and other analogous processes.
    2. "OBM" means the WA Office of Building Management.
    3. "Public facilities" means, specific to this resolution, any physical facility where sapient individuals may frequent or congregate, such as markets, schools, hospitals, offices, factories, churches, transport facilities, and all public restroom facilities.
    4. "WHA" to mean the World Health Assembly.
  2. Public facilities.
    1. All operators of public facilities are required to provide "hygienic restrooms", a term defined as one that complies with all of clauses (3) to (8).
    2. All such that do not meet the standards in clauses (3) to (8) are required to convert their restrooms to meet such standards as soon as reasonably practicable.
  3. Charges.
    1. All restrooms in public facilities shall be free-of-charge at the point of access.
    2. This does not restrict operators from charging for or restricting access to the public facilities in the first place, such as placing restrooms behind ticket gates in train stations.
  4. Hygiene.
    1. The WHA is required to set minimum standards for “hygienic restrooms” and to update such standards from time to time. The exact standards may vary by sapient species where required, such as the size of lavatory flush basins.
    2. All WA states must adhere to at least the minimum standards and may exceed such standards as it deems fit.
  5. Facilities in "hygienic restrooms". The WHA standards shall at least include the following:
    1. Fixtures and fittings appropriate for individuals of different physical capabilities, as well as protecting their privacy;
    2. Sanitation facilities, such as water closets, sinks with running water, plumbing, disposal facilities (including for disposal of menstrual products), and other auxiliary facilities; and
    3. Hygiene standards, such as air circulation, disinfection, and maintenance.
  6. Consumables. All "hygienic restrooms" must provide the following consumables of a reasonable quality and quantity, free-of-charge:
    1. toilet papers and other sanitary products such as soap, hand sanitizer, ;
    2. menstrual products, regardless of whether restrooms are assigned by gender (or identified gender) or otherwise;
  7. Open areas. For WA states that allow excretion in public:
    1. Consumables as defined in clause (6) should be available free of charge through convenient means in locations frequented by the public, and regardless of the gender (or identified gender) of individuals;
    2. The WA states are required to make reasonable efforts to maintain environmental hygiene, according to local laws and extant WA resolutions.
  8. Differences in species. The WA notes that visitors to WA states may be of a different sapient species to those prevalent in a particular state. Thus, each WA state shall ensure that:
    1. A reasonable effort is made by each operator to provide hygienic restrooms for differing species with varying requirements for excretion;
    2. Consumables as defined in clause (6) are also available to individuals from other species;
    3. Allow a defense on the grounds of a lack of suitable restrooms in case of charges of public excretion, in cases of allegations of violating relevant local laws.
  9. OBM.
    1. The OBM is required to provide “hygienic restrooms” at all facilities operated by sub-committees of the WA, including the WA Headquarters.
    2. All "hygienic restrooms" shall be accessible to all sapient species that prevail in WA states.
  10. Jurisdiction.
    1. The WHA may make certain exceptions on its standards due to absolute necessity, such as some restroom facilities in prisons and psychiatric hospitals.
    2. . The WHA is responsible for interpretation of this resolution, except for clause 9 which shall be the responsibility of the OBM.
Last edited by Simone Republic on Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:52 am, edited 3 times in total.

Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:08 am

"The attempt to refer back to previously passed resolutions is laughable. Only one of the four listed actually had anything to say on the matter of sanitation.

"In the definition 1b. The word "may" is problematic. The need to construct a great array of toilets to suit all sorts of different species in all sorts of locations on the basis that two people might meet their at some point in future is insane. Even so, in any country, the highest mountain, for example, will be an outdoor area where people definitely congregate. This proposal requires that somebody build a heap of toilets there.

"Beyond that, the definition brings everywhere into the scope of the proposal. Your own private toilet, on the basis that your residence is an indoor area where people might congregate, needs to comply with the international toilet cleaning and maintenance regulations which the proposal requires in section 2a, and somebody has to go and buy disposable towels, adult nappies, and sanitary towels, ffs. Who will pay?

"There is no recognition of limited space in say protected historical buildings. There's no recognition of existing standards in nations many of which, like Bananaistan, have already ensured adequate access to toilets for the public and don't require excessive regulations by WA dictat. For example, we have a reasonable level of public toilets in urban centres and only public houses, public transport hubs and motorway service stations are required by law to accept non-paying customers using their facilities. There is absolutely no need for literally everywhere else in Bananaistan to be forced into this.

"Who pays for all these expensive toiletries, and toilet refits?

"In any case, why do we need international toilet cleaning and maintenance regulations? Surely member states are best left to address this at some local level of government. What is the justification for the WA addressing this at all, never mind the particularly heavy handed fashion outlined here?"
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly