NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Radioactive Material Extraction Standards Act

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Xolaya
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 13, 2021
Psychotic Dictatorship

[DRAFT] Radioactive Material Extraction Standards Act

Postby Xolaya » Sun Oct 08, 2023 6:16 am

A resolution to increase the quality of the world's environment, at the expense of industry.

Category: Environmental
Industry Affected: Mining
Proposed by: Xolaya

https://www.nationstates.net/page=WA_past_resolution/id=263/council=1

Understanding the Uranium Mining Standards Act's sensible restrictions and standards on the mining of Uranium,

Observing the improvements possible on the aforementioned resolution, specifically the application of standards on the mining of nuclear material,

Observing the lack of existing labor or human regulations on radioactive materials mining,

Determined to bring sensible standards on the mining of nuclear material,

Hereby,

1. Defines "Nuclear Material" as anything where at least 0.01% of the material's mass is Uranium, Plutonium, or Thorium.

2. Requires all entities mining nuclear material to ensure no person employed in mining activities is exposed to over 10 rems per calendar quarter as part of regular employment.

3. Requires all nations to assess the environmental impact of relevant mining operations
3.a. requires all nations to conduct a survey on surrounding flora and fauna at potential mine sites and currently operational mine sites to ensure that the construction and resultant operation of the mine will not endanger nor has endangered any species in the general vicinity.
3.b. Instructs nations who discover flora or fauna indigenous solely to the potential mine site to make documented efforts to relocate either the mine, or the relevant species to ensure that the species suffer as little impact as possible.
3.c. Charges all national governments with assessing the areas directly around mining operations currently in progress and annually thereafter on all active mines, to ensure that no significant contamination of water supplies or soil has occurred and take all possible measures to treat and prevent the further spread of contamination if such is discovered.
3.d. Clauses 3.b and 3.c. may be disregarded for Plutonium or Thorium mines, if the cost of species relocation or other profit reduction is greater than 5.5% of financial profit over the mine's entire lifespan.

4. Bans the dumping of Nuclear Materials in international waters.

5. Bans the extraction of Nuclear Materials in international waters.

Makko Oko
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 20, 2018
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Makko Oko » Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:18 am

OOC: I'm no scientist here so in a calendar year as you've such defined, in real life, how many rems is one typically exposed to? One suggestion also, define what a rem is, it'll help close a hole I see
OBC Current News: First-Ever Anti-Terrorism Act Enacted | Emperor launches plans to expand trade | Danika Hicks Case: NOT GUILTY VERDICT! Court rules 3-2
Information:
IIWiki Factbooks
NS Factbooks

NOTE: This nation does not reflect my real beliefs in any way, shape or form

Xolaya
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 13, 2021
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Xolaya » Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:38 pm

Makko Oko wrote:OOC: I'm no scientist here so in a calendar year as you've such defined, in real life, how many rems is one typically exposed to? One suggestion also, define what a rem is, it'll help close a hole I see

On earth, the ambient radiation is about 0.24 rems a year, (0.06 per quarter). A chest x-ray is 0.15 rems, and OSHA has a cap of 1.25 rems per calendar quarter; it was 15 rems from 1950-1957.

radiation sickness begins at a one time exposure of 100 rems.

I intentionally left the limit very high, I might add a recommendation for individual nations to lower it themselves.

Return to General Assembly