NATION

PASSWORD

[On hold] - World Assembly Licensed Merchandise

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Simone Republic
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 09, 2019
Capitalist Paradise

[On hold] - World Assembly Licensed Merchandise

Postby Simone Republic » Sat Aug 19, 2023 3:08 am

On hold

This is on hold as I think it's not as funny as the old repealed one.

Arguments in Repeal 1:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=535388

Arguments in Repeal 2:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=535952

Arguments in Repeal 3 (which passed as GAR#675):
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=536087

Original GAR#663 arguments:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=530596

This new proposal now drops any licensing of products carrying other nations' trademarks, and just licenses World Assembly logos etc. So I guess thoeretically (in-game) we can sell "WA Elite" or "Festering Snakepit" mugs but not the flags of individual nations. This should address much of the arguments in previous repeals. The promotion of exports has also been dropped.

The entire enforcement mechanism depends on trademarks only (GA709).

This is still based on the IRL example of the UN selling plenty of merchandise.
https://shop.un.org/

Some examples:
UN-Hello Kitty: https://shop.un.org/gifts/hello-kitty-sdgs
UN Security Council silk tie: https://shop.un.org/merch/un-security-c ... -tie-25722
UN Emblem sea turtle: https://shop.un.org/merch/un-emblem-sea-turtle-25203

Important: obviously this is an in game and in character resolution and has nothing to do with the commercial aspects of NationStates.

Category: free trade/mild (same as GAR#663)

Draft 4
The World Assembly (WA),

Noting the WA's popularity across the multiverse;

Believing that there is a strong desire for selling WA branded merchandise in order to satisfy the appetite of its fans, and gullible tourists that visit the WAHQ, and to raise additional funds, especially from non-WA states purchasing WA merchandise;

Desiring the significant surpluses that can be derived for the benefit of WA states, similar to the behavior of other international organizations left unmentioned;

The WA hereby enacts as follows:

1. Definitions.
    1. "GAO" mean the General Accounting Office.
    2. "GF" mean the General Fund.
    3. "JC" means the Judicial Committee of the WA Compliance Commission.
    4. "WAHQ" means the WA Headquarters.
    5. "WA merchandise" to mean products of all kinds carrying WA UIs (defined below) such as (merely as examples) keychains, mugs, T-shirts, body pillows, and cuddly toys of gnomes, hamsters, and hippos.
    6. "WA UIs" to mean all names, logos, mascots, markers, uniforms, and other unique identifiers of the WA designated as such in the Registers of the GAO.
  2. Right to license WA UIs.
    1. The GAO is authorized to grant temporary rights ("rights") to businesses within WA states the right to produce, ship, market and sell WA merchandized.
    2. WA merchandise may be sold in both WA states and non-WA states.
    3. All rights are to be granted in a fair and transparent tender process.
    4. All rights are to be re-tendered periodically at the discretion of the GAO to ensure that it extracts the highest value from licensing WA UIs for use as merchandise.
    5. All rights are to be granted only if the GAO determines that such rights would be able to generate a very substantial surplus for the WA, through prepayments, guarantees, and royalties, after accounting for all attributed costs including all administrative costs.
  3. Quality of merchandise. The GAO is required to ensure that all WA merchandise licensed pursuant to clause 2:
    1. carry counterfeiting features to identify WA merchandise as officially licensed;
    2. meet all standards (including safety and qualityy standards) set forth by WA committees; and
    3. meet all standards set in domestic laws where such merchandise are sold or shipped;
  4. Counterfeit merchandise.
    1. Anyone who knowingly and intentionally sells merchandise that are counterfeit within the confines of the WAHQ commits a criminal offence.
    2. Anyone accused of such offence shall be subject to the judicial process of the JC, in turn subject to due process.
    3. Penalties. Anyone convicted of such an offence by JC that has exhausted all appeals is to be penalized as follows:
    4. If that individual is a citizen or national of a WA state shall be immediately extradited to that WA state for that WA state's authorities to determine any punishment available;
    5. If that individual is not a citizen or national of a WA state, that individual shall be immediately put to death within WAHQ. All organs of the individuals are to be for medical use, with any parts remaining for use in meals for cannibalism.
  5. Greater Good Fund.
    1. The WA Greater Good Fund (GGF) is hereby established as a sub-committee of the WA.
    2. The GGF is to be funded by the surplus earned by the GAO from sales of merchandise.
  6. Use of proceeds.The GGF is to fund the following activities:
    1. Subsidizing professional services, such as, in order of priority, lawyers, economists, statisticians specializing in bleeding edge linear regression tools, musicians, copyeditors, and proofreaders, for the benefit of mission heads, ambassadors and other officials posted to the WAHQ;
    2. Subsidizing meals for sapient turtles, hamsters, and other individuals that work at WAHQ; and
    3. If any funds remain, to be donated to activities conducted by various WA organs that promote welfare for LGBTQIA+ youths in WA states.
[/list]

Char count: 2,498.
Last edited by Simone Republic on Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:50 am, edited 45 times in total.
All posts OOC. (He/him). I don't speak for TNP. IC the "white bear" (it) is for jokes only.

Simone Republic
Ambassador

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Simone Republic » Sat Aug 19, 2023 3:13 am

Reserved for future drafts.

(IC)

If this does not pass, please approach the White Bear at the World Assembly Strangers' Bar for its inventory of previously authorized merchandise.
viewtopic.php?t=367192

(Draft 2)

Draft 2

The World Assembly (WA),

Noting the WA's popularity across member states throughout the multiverse;

Desiring to rectify the situation and raise additional funds for the benefit of the WA, especially from non-member states;

1. Hereby defines:

1. GF to mean the General Fund;
    2. GAO to mean the General Accounting Office;
    3. ITA to mean the International Trade Administration;
    4. WA merchandise as products of all kinds carrying WA trademarks and authorized for sale by the GF, such as (merely as examples) body pillows, keychains, mugs and T-shirts;
    5. WA IP as intellectual property belonging to the World Assembly and its constituent committees, such as (merely as examples) their names, logos, mascots, and other symbols recognized as such by the ITA;
  2. Hereby requires the ITA to:
    1. Register WA IP as intellectual property throughout all WA states, and, to the maximum extent possible, in non-WA states that recognize intellectual property and trademark laws;
    2. Bans sales of merchandise featuring WA IP without the prior authorization of the ITA throughout all WA states;
    3. Grant businesses within member states the right to produce, ship and sell WA merchandise;
    4. Ensure such rights as described in clause 2(c) are granted only:
      1. In a fair and transparent process; and
      2. If such rights are, in accordance with assessments by the GAO, able to generate a very substantial profit for the WA after accounting for all attributed costs including all administrative costs;
    5. Ensure that all WA merchandise meet all standards set forth by WA committees;
  3. Hereby requires the GAO to ensure that any licensing of products by ITA results in profits for the WA, and further specifies that such profits be used:
    1. Firstly, to fund the activities of the International Humanitarian Aid Coordination Committee;
    2. Secondly, if any funds remain, for the benefit of the GF.
Last edited by Simone Republic on Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
All posts OOC. (He/him). I don't speak for TNP. IC the "white bear" (it) is for jokes only.

Simone Republic
Ambassador

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Simone Republic » Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:43 am

Bump

(IC) I am making so much money selling second hand merchandise that the Simone Republic WA Mission is now a profit centre for the folks back home at Simone Republic.
Last edited by Simone Republic on Sun Sep 03, 2023 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Desmosthenes and Burke
GA Secretariat

Founded: Oct 07, 2017
Corporate Bordello

Postby Desmosthenes and Burke » Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:07 am

Ambassador, what trademarks does the WA own? Under what law? And where are they registered? Your proposal does not establish a WA trademark in anything, and to the best of our knowledge, there is no other resolution that establishes WA trademarks as to anything either (although given the number of resolutions, it is, of course, possible our interns missed one. The dangers of them being both unpaid and unfireable). Nor has the WA exempted itself from the trademark laws of its member states, rendering section 2 rather unnecessary.

As an example, Roman law does not recognize trademarks as to the flags, coat of arms, or any other insignia of a government, governmental body, state, political subdivision, state enterprise, region, municipality, etc... of the Roman Republic or any foreign state, nation, or entity which claims to act with the force of law. Without any countervailing law or duty, Roman producers are completely free to make and sell the type of merchandise this resolution envisions with complete impunity and no need to pay anything into this organization's already oversized and misused budget (so long as they do not run afoul of a separate law making it criminal to impersonate a government official or body). In fact, I just bought a new coffee mug from a street vendor in Lutetia. It charmingly depicts several Roman soldiers burning a WA flag. I believe the vendor's next design is intended to prominently feature grey wolves and a white ursine creature of some sort.

OOC: In all seriousness, IRL things like the UN, Red Cross, Interpol, etc... logos are usually protected through some alternate framework than commercial trademarks, such as criminal law, specific treaty provisions, and the like. You might want to consider establishing some form of property rights for the WA in its emblems, logos, etc, before creating a licensing scheme for them.

Edit OOC: The defect was not present in the prior, repealed, resolution.
Last edited by Desmosthenes and Burke on Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
GA Links: Proposal Rules | GenSec Procedures | Questions and Answers | Passed Resolutions
Late 30s French Married in NYC
Mostly Catholic, Libertarian-ish supporter of Le Rassemblement Nationale and Republican Party
Current Ambassador: Iulia Larcensis Metili, Legatus Plenipotentis
WA Elite Oligarch since 2023
National Sovereigntist
Name: Demosthenes and Burke
Language: Latin + Numerous tribal languages
Majority Party and Ideology: Aurora Latine - Roman Nationalism, Liberal Conservatism

Hébreux 13:2 - N’oubliez pas l’hospitalité car, grâce à elle, certains, sans le savoir, ont accueilli des anges.

The Pacific Northwest
Envoy

Founded: May 26, 2022
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Pacific Northwest » Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:46 pm

May I ask why the ITA is required to promote the export of WA merchandise to non WA nations? They’re not in the WA, why do they need WA merchandise pushed on them?
I don’t roleplay much, so all of my posts will be OOC.

Republic of Mesque
Spokesperson

Founded: May 01, 2020
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Republic of Mesque » Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:01 am

The Pacific Northwest wrote:May I ask why the ITA is required to promote the export of WA merchandise to non WA nations? They’re not in the WA, why do they need WA merchandise pushed on them?

Delusional WA supremacism. Alas for them, all the nasty, disgustingly envious non-member NatSovs can rejoice in selling anti-WA or sarcastic merchandise ridiculing the pathological overreach of the institution, whether in the Black Market or not, and the Compliance Dictatorship can't do anything about it... what a shame...

Simone Republic
Ambassador

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Simone Republic » Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:07 am

The Pacific Northwest wrote:May I ask why the ITA is required to promote the export of WA merchandise to non WA nations? They’re not in the WA, why do they need WA merchandise pushed on them?

"I am sure other non-WA states would appreciate WA body pillows of the statue of Catherine Gratwick shoddily made and filled with asbestos hand-crafted with the finest materials" the bear says. "Plus, we can make some money off the non-WA states. In this multi-verse, only 6% of states are WA members."

Republic of Mesque wrote:

Delusional WA supremacism. Alas for them, all the nasty, disgustingly envious non-member NatSovs can rejoice in selling anti-WA or sarcastic merchandise ridiculing the pathological overreach of the institution, whether in the Black Market or not, and the Compliance Dictatorship can't do anything about it... what a shame...

(IC)

"We actually sell that too," the bear says. "Nothing wrong with making money both ways."

Desmosthenes and Burke wrote:In fact, I just bought a new coffee mug from a street vendor in Lutetia. It charmingly depicts several Roman soldiers burning a WA flag. I believe the vendor's next design is intended to prominently feature grey wolves and a white ursine creature of some sort.

(IC)

"Our version obviously features a white ursine creature eating wolves," says the bear, "but we understand other jurisdictions may have it the other way around. We sell both anyway. Again, nothing wrong with making money both ways."

Desmosthenes and Burke wrote:OOC: In all seriousness, IRL things like the UN, Red Cross, Interpol, etc... logos are usually protected through some alternate framework than commercial trademarks, such as criminal law, specific treaty provisions, and the like. You might want to consider establishing some form of property rights for the WA in its emblems, logos, etc, before creating a licensing scheme for them.

This has been edited with a new clause 2a and a new clause 2b to this effect. I forgot we repealed all the WIPO stuff already.
Last edited by Simone Republic on Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:18 am, edited 4 times in total.

Comfed
Minister

Founded: Apr 09, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Comfed » Sun Sep 24, 2023 4:06 pm

No WA merchandise at all, thanks.

Second Sovereignty
Envoy

Founded: Jan 02, 2023
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Second Sovereignty » Sun Sep 24, 2023 4:15 pm

"What is this, the second attempt to sell, pointless garbage with the World Assembly's backing? I'm not even going to bother the Sovereign with this; here's my opinion. Be reasonable, if you want a World-Assembly-Branded Mug, steal one from the Gnomes' offices, like a normal person. If you want a stuffed Catherine Gratwick, then perhaps seek therapy."
Last edited by Second Sovereignty on Sun Sep 24, 2023 4:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Minister of World Assembly Affairs of The Communist Bloc.
Puppet of Tinfect.
Raxes Sotriat, Envoy-Major to the World Assembly, Kestil, he/him
Masraan Olash, Envoy-Minor to the World Assembly, Alsuran, he/him
Maraline, Administrative Aide, Hanri, she/her

Bisexual, Transgender (She/Her), Native-American, and Actual CommunistTM.
Good Lord, I've barely made this Puppet and you want FACTBOOKS? Check again soon.

|||||||||||||||||#283||||||||||||||||||

Simone Republic
Ambassador

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Simone Republic » Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:50 am

Draft 2 has been published, which drops a line promoting exports of WA merchandise.

Coders
Attaché

Founded: Apr 27, 2023
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Coders » Wed Oct 11, 2023 5:09 am

Support

Simone Republic
Ambassador

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Simone Republic » Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:53 am

*Bump* on the (old) World Assembly Official Merchandise bumper

I've changed the word "profit" to "surplus" since (as was pointed out somewhere) the WA is not-for-profit.

Desmosthenes and Burke wrote:OOC: In all seriousness, IRL things like the UN, Red Cross, Interpol, etc... logos are usually protected through some alternate framework than commercial trademarks, such as criminal law, specific treaty provisions, and the like. You might want to consider establishing some form of property rights for the WA in its emblems, logos, etc, before creating a licensing scheme for them.

This has been pushed to the Register of "Unique Identifiers" of the GAO
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=542823

Broadly speaking, the wording is now so that if someone wants to sell merchandise carrying WA marks but in places where there are no trademark laws, or not "officially licensed" merchandise, there is probably nothing we can do about it (like all the fake Disney merchandise or whatever IRL) because of its reliance on domestic trademark laws.

So because of that dependency, this won't come before "Preventing WA Misrepresentation" or whatever it is called gets over the finish line sometime in 2024 (possibly late 2024 given my slowing pace).
Last edited by Simone Republic on Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:51 am, edited 4 times in total.

Simone Republic
Ambassador

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Simone Republic » Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:19 am

The new version relies entirely on trademarks, and also requires that merchandise rights are only granted if a substantial project is guaranteed to the GAO.

Draft 3

The World Assembly (WA),

Noting the WA's popularity across the multiverse;

Believing that there is a strong desire for selling WA branded merchandise in order to satisfy the appetite of its fans (and gullible tourists), and to raise additional funds for humanitarian causes, similar to the behavior of other international organizations left unmentioned
hereby:

1. Defines:
    1. "GAO" to mean the General Accounting Office;
    2. "GF" to mean the General Fund;
    3. "WA merchandise" to mean products of all kinds carrying WA UIs and authorized for sale by the GAO, such as keychains, mugs, T-shirts, and cuddly toys of gnomes, hamsters, and hippos;
    4. "WA UIs" to mean all names, logos, mascots, markers, uniforms, and other unique identifiers of the WA designated as such from time to time, howsoever presented through verbal, physical, electronic, or other means, according to the Registers of the GAO;
  2. Requires the GAO to:
    1. Register all WA UIs as trademarks in all states;
    2. Grant businesses within member states the right to produce, ship, market and sell officially licensed WA merchandise;
    3. Ensure such rights as described in clause 2(a) are granted only:
      1. In a fair and transparent process; and
      2. If such rights are, according to assessments by the GAO, able to generate a very substantial surplus for the WA after accounting for all attributed costs including all administrative costs;
    4. Ensure that all WA merchandise meet are, as determined by the GAO:
      1. of high quality;
      2. carry counterfeiting features to identify such merchandise as officially licensed;
      3. meet all standards set forth by WA committees pursuant to various resolutions; and
      4. meet all standards set in domestic laws where such merchandise are sold or shipped;
  3. Hereby requires the GAO to ensure that any licensing of products results in a surplus of funds, and further specifies that such surpluses be used:
    1. Firstly, to fund the activities of the International Humanitarian Aid Coordination Committee;
    2. Secondly, if any funds remain, for the benefit of the GF.
Last edited by Simone Republic on Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly