NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Repeal "Convention on Wartime Deceased"

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Cretox State
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] Repeal "Convention on Wartime Deceased"

Postby Cretox State » Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:08 pm

"We're still not entirely sure where our (acting) ambassador fled to," says Executive Marshal Valway, pointing out specific documents for her aides to burn. "However, this operation is now under the provisional authority of the Coordinated Aggressive Response Office of the State Executive Advocate Corps. You may direct concerns and bribes to me or my underlings."

Submission priority: high.

Repeal "Convention on Wartime Deceased"
Category: Repeal | Target: GA 136 "Convention on Wartime Deceased" | Replacement: None. How to handle their dead is best left to individual nations.

The World Assembly,

Aware of the nature of war as an often-necessary evil, but an evil nevertheless,

Commending the body of existing WA law that seeks to make armed conflict more humane and less crushingly deleterious to those civilians who find themselves caught between opposing armed forces,

Believing that when it comes to handling the dead in times of war, the World Assembly ought to either regulate the subject competently or not regulate it at all,

Concerned that GA 136 "Convention on Wartime Deceased" is far too vague and sloppily written to actually ensure respect for the dead, through:
  1. demanding "that states take appropriate measures to prevent the desecration of deceased civilians, military personnel, and any others who may fall on the field of battle" without actually defining what an "appropriate measure" is, and
  2. prohibiting "the needless dismembering of deceased combatants on the field of battle" without actually defining what "needless dismembering" is,
Annoyed that this poor language extends to the target's nonbinding clauses as well, through:
  1. recommending "that appropriate measures be taken to ensure the repatriation of the deceased to their nation of origin" without defining what makes a measure "appropriate," and
  2. suggesting "that nations make provisions for the proper burial or other post-death rituals" without defining how extensive these provisions should be,
Puzzled at what exactly the target means when it "CONDEMNS" those who engage in desecration of the dead on the field of battle,

Frustrated that the target's prohibition of "needless dismembering" and definition of desecration "as the act of defiling, profaning, or otherwise mutilating and causing undue trauma" potentially includes ritual burials entirely in line with a nation's customs, as well as voluntary organ harvesting and the like,

Confused as to why a resolution espousing respect for national customs would go ahead and try to override those customs, and

Noting that this body already protects civilians during wartime from the worst excesses of armed conflict that affect them when they're actually alive, through well-written resolutions such as GA 317 "Wartime Looting and Pillage,"

Hereby repeals GA 136 "Convention on Wartime Deceased."
Last edited by Cretox State on Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
GA/SC/Issues author. Public Servant. Killer of Stats. Thought Leader. Influencer. P20 Laureate. Delegate Emeritus of thousands of regions.

Cretox State
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Cretox State » Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:09 pm

Reserved.
GA/SC/Issues author. Public Servant. Killer of Stats. Thought Leader. Influencer. P20 Laureate. Delegate Emeritus of thousands of regions.

Simone Republic
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 09, 2019
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Simone Republic » Mon Aug 21, 2023 1:39 am

Heads-up that I am also attempting to re-write this draft and to incorporate certain elements into my draft on "consular protection arrangements" and scrapping the rest as much of it is covered by GA#317.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=538592

My version of the replacement is here:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=549148
Last edited by Simone Republic on Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
All posts OOC. (He/him). I don't speak for TNP. IC the "white bear" (it) is for jokes only.

Return to General Assembly