NATION

PASSWORD

The Alt-Right economy is failing

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Neu California
Senator

Founded: Jul 12, 2009
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

The Alt-Right economy is failing

Postby Neu California » Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:17 pm

Fortune wrote:In commenting on Bob Iger’s defense of Disney’s values and brand in the face of threats from Florida Governor DeSantis, Nike CEO John Donahoe said, “I think Bob’s doing a great job at this. If it’s core to who you are and your values, then you stand up for your values.”

That spirit has been rewarded by the free market. Across many fronts, we have shown in quantitative analysis of business performance that doing good for society is not at the expense of doing well for shareholders, with clear examples ranging from Russian business exits to public engagement on voting rights.

Yet still, grandstanding political ideologues are using opportunistic attacks on iconic U.S. enterprises to showcase their own nascent anti-ESG businesses, and reportedly build a “parallel economy” catering to conservative constituencies. But far from flourishing, an objective review of the facts suggests these anti-wokester jokesters are financially foundering.

One little-known index fund provider, the American Conservative Values ETF (ACVF), recently received a flurry of media attention for boycotting Target over what they described as its “pandering to the woke agenda,” confidently declaring that their boycott of Target will ensure “Target stock’s long-term performance will suffer.”

Target stock is down, but in reality, the fund’s total holdings of Target amount to just $100,000–equivalent to the revenue that Target nets every 20 seconds. In fact, ACVF’s total assets under management are a rather measly $40 million–and many of their other “boycotted” companies–including iconic All-American enterprises such as Apple, Microsoft, Delta Airlines, American Airlines, Disney, Walmart, Coca-Cola, Salesforce, and JPMorgan–have performed quite well since being targeted by ACVF. Delta is up 10% this year, American is up 15% this year, Microsoft and Apple are both up over 40% this year and Salesforce is up 60%. Thanks in part to missing out on these top-performing stocks, ACVF is underperforming the S&P 500 by over 2% this year through June 1. No wonder even politically conservative investors stay away from these anti-woke ETFs.

ACVF’s struggles rather pale in comparison to those of its much larger and better-known rival, presidential candidate Vivek Ramaswamy’s Strive Asset Management. We have contacted both firms about our findings by phone and email, but their representatives directed us to figures published on their respective websites, which we checked–and double-checked.

The business models of both Strive and ACVF are similar: They construct exchange-traded funds, or ETFs, for mom-and-pop retail investors to passively track a basket of stocks, matching rather than trying to beat the broader market. Unlike hedge funds, these ETF providers do not care if the stocks go up, down, or sideways–rather, they get their money from fees charged on anyone who has their money in a Strive ETF. Most ETFs are very low-fee products–but the anti-woke ETFs come at a premium. BlackRock ETFs, for example, usually charge around 0.03% fees. Strive’s fees are comparatively higher at up to 0.41%–but nothing compared to ACVF’s 0.75% fee.

To survive over the long run, these nascent ETF providers need to continually attract new money from mom-and-pop investors. And that is exactly what it appears they are struggling to do. All the evidence, out in the open, shows that Strive has had a hard time attracting additional investor inflows beyond its original anchor investors after the launch of its ETFs last year. Its assets under management appear to have stagnated despite Ramaswamy’s loud media presence.

For example, its largest flagship ETF, the Strive US Energy ETF (DRLL), has almost exactly the same amount of assets under management (AUM) as of June 1, $320 million, that it did when it was launched in August/September 2022, and its AUM is down nearly 25% from the start of this year.

Fully half of Strive’s eight current ETF products–including the Strive 1000 Growth ETF, the Strive 1000 Value ETF, the Strive 1000 Dividend Growth ETF, and the Strive Small-Cap ETF–have less than $12 million assets under management each, which is microscopic relative to the industry standard–and less than the average compensation of a single major CEO at most companies.

Thus it is hardly surprising that some of the most admired CEOs are flippantly swatting away Strive’s attempts at “activism.” Ramaswamy has become the court jester of corporate governance. The mere mention of his name brings anything from smirks to outright gales of laughter amongst some corporate audiences.

One hopes that Strive is not on a path to fail as badly as some of Ramaswamy’s previous ventures, such as Axovant, a Ramaswamy-founded company whose stock price plunged from $200 to 40 cents, or Campus Venture Networks, Ramaswamy’s much-hyped undergraduate startup which, despite his self-aggrandizement, he apparently sold for just a few thousand dollars, if his tax returns are correct. Even one of Strive’s biggest financial backers, Bill Ackman, is apparently embarrassed and rushing to disavow Ramaswamy. Meanwhile, Strive is reduced to seeking “consulting contract” handouts from friendly politicos. Perhaps this helps explain why Ramaswamy is running his longshot Presidential campaign: Nothing turns around sagging business fortunes quite like a new burst of free publicity!

It is not only in high finance that these “parallel economy” startups are flailing. Attempts to build a new alt-right media ecosystem are similarly landing with a thud.

Perhaps most infamously, Donald Trump’s much-hyped Truth Social alt-platform has imploded in value, with its SPAC packaging (ticker DWAC) shares falling from $95 to $13 even as the former president flails away on this otherwise quiet platform. Alt-right social media rivals such as Gab and GabPay are struggling to gain traction, begging for donations through crowdsourced funding, while provocateur Alex Jones and his Infowars declared bankruptcy after a record $1 billion verdict for the Sandy Hook families. More prominently, One America News has now been dropped by every major cable operator, partially driven by low audiences, while its behemoth rival Fox’s struggles are just beginning after the record $787.5 million Dominion settlement–with its board reportedly becoming weary of deviating too far from the mainstream.

Efforts to expand the alt-right parallel economy across digital services and even physical goods are running straight into the ground as well. Virtually all major retailers from Bed Bath & Beyond to Walmart to Kohl’s to Costco have cut ties with Mike Lindell’s MyPillow, which just months ago closed its last in-person retail mall store while losing $100 million, according to Lindell himself. Former Trump personnel director Johnny McEntee’s project–an alt-right dating site, “The Right Stuff”–has been lambasted even by its core constituency, with its mostly men frustrated by the lack of women users, and its seed funding from Peter Thiel is reportedly scheduled to run out in the next few months.

To a hammer, everything looks like a nail; and the exertions of some anti-woke activists in extrapolating politicized rhetoric into the economy can stretch into caricature. Strangely, the struggles of the nation’s regional banks, such as SVB, Signature, and First Republic, were superstitiously blamed on “wokeism” and the facts–that these less diversified banks were unprepared for the Fed’s interest rate hikes and that larger, equally “woke” banks were better insulated from these interest rate swings–were ignored. This month, even the conservative New York Post was bewildered by the sudden ire this month of anti-wokesters targeting the privately owned, very spiritual, Christian values-guided restaurant chain Chick-fil-A because, years ago, they promoted a longstanding internal HR executive to oversee diversity and equal opportunity.

Despite positioning themselves as reverent guardians of free markets against government and social overreach, many anti-wokester jokesters seem to have forgotten the most basic requirement of capitalism: to make a profit. Ironically, the free market delivers the most condemning verdict of all. The favorite “woke” targets of anti-ESG activists continue to soar to record economic heights, effortlessly shrugging off anti-woke attacks.

Clearly, despite all the hype and drama, there is little financial threat to mainstream business posed by the anti-woke economy. It’s not a genuine parallel economy–these are scattered cases of ideological grifters and struggling entrepreneurs. Their real talent seems to lie in fast-talking media platforms into giving them an undeserved platform to unfairly target iconic pillars of U.S. enterprise. But as these anti-wokester jokesters struggle to gain financial traction, the numbers will continue to disprove their claims.

Get woke, go broke? Yeah, not so much...

Anyway, NSG, are you surprised by the struggle of the Alt-Right companies and ETFs, and why do you think they're failing to get anywhere while their targets are doing fine?

Personally, I'm not, and it's for one simple reason: in today's world hate doesn't sell, especially amongst the young. The idea that getting woke means going broke hasn't panned out because tolerance is a far better selling point than hate could ever hope to be.
"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little"-FDR
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist"-Dom Helder Camara
"When you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression"-Unknown
He/him
Aspie and proud
I'm a weak agnostic without atheistic or theistic leanings.
Endless sucker for romantic lesbian stuff

"During my research I interviewed a guy who said he was a libertarian until he did MDMA and realized that other people have feelings, and that was pretty much the best summary of libertarianism I've ever heard"

Port Caverton
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 01, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Port Caverton » Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:22 pm

at this point Chris Sununu is gonna be alt-right if you keep calling everything right-wing alt-right.

Why can't libs differentiate between more right-wing conservatives (Right-wing populists, National conservatives) and right-wing extremists (Nazis)
"My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. We begin bombing in five minutes."

EuroStralia
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 28, 2023
Ex-Nation

Postby EuroStralia » Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:25 pm

Port Caverton wrote:at this point Chris Sununu is gonna be alt-right if you keep calling everything right-wing alt-right.

Why can't libs differentiate between more right-wing conservatives (Right-wing populists, National conservatives) and right-wing extremists (Nazis)

Labeling everyone on the right as extremists helps make their opposition look worse.

Kennedy 2024 Trump 2024
Union of States of America wrote:now, whenever I read a post by EuroStralia, I for some strange reaon hear it in Tucker Carlson's voice. :eyebrow:

Alcala-Cordel
Senator

Founded: Dec 16, 2019

Postby Alcala-Cordel » Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:41 pm

In the face of numerous legitimate reasons to hate companies, far right interest groups are making a sport of finding increasingly dumb reasons to fearmonger.
FROM THE RIVER TO THE SEA

Bovad
Minister

Founded: Mar 16, 2022

Postby Bovad » Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:46 pm

Port Caverton wrote:at this point Chris Sununu is gonna be alt-right if you keep calling everything right-wing alt-right.

Agreed, especially when the difference just keeps getting smaller.
Last edited by Bovad on Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Þ=Th. Join the revival.
Marxist-leninist, atheist, pro-choice, pro-LGBT+. Fuck Nazis.
GENERATION 34: The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross" -Apocryphally attributed to Sinclair Lewis.

Alcala-Cordel
Senator

Postby Alcala-Cordel » Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:47 pm

EuroStralia wrote:

Labeling everyone on the right as extremists helps make their opposition look worse.

Couldn't possibly have anything to do with any ideological similarities they refuse to recognize...

On a side note, liberals are the moderate right but are often lumped in with communists by people with little understanding of either viewpoint.
Last edited by Alcala-Cordel on Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Port Caverton
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Port Caverton » Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:50 pm

Bovad wrote:

Agreed, especially when the diffrence just keeps getting smaller.

It's not. The so-called populist right in Europe is always separated from the extreme right, except by dumb journalists.
"My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. We begin bombing in five minutes."

Port Caverton
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Port Caverton » Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:52 pm

Alcala-Cordel wrote:
EuroStralia wrote:Labeling everyone on the right as extremists helps make their opposition look worse.

Couldn't possibly have anything to do with any ideological similarities they refuse to recognize...

On a side note, liberals are the moderate right but are often lumped in with communists by people with little understanding of either viewpoint.

Commies and Nazis both were against liberal democracy but that doesn't mean that they were the same, now does it.

Also US liberals and social liberals in general are center left.

EuroStralia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby EuroStralia » Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:53 pm

Bovad wrote:

The difference isn't getting smaller, you just can't differentiate between right wing viewpoints.
Alcala-Cordel wrote:
EuroStralia wrote:Labeling everyone on the right as extremists helps make their opposition look worse.

Most modern liberals are the moderate left.

Kennedy 2024 Trump 2024
Union of States of America wrote:now, whenever I read a post by EuroStralia, I for some strange reaon hear it in Tucker Carlson's voice. :eyebrow:

Abdulhid State
Civil Servant

Founded: Jun 05, 2023
Ex-Nation

Postby Abdulhid State » Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:53 pm

Bovad wrote:

The difference has not gotten smaller and they are not similar. "Conservatism" is adhering to traditional values, individual freedoms, the rule of law, human dignity, among other things. Nazism is anti-semitic, far-right Aryan nationalism combined with social Darwinism.

Neu California
Senator

Postby Neu California » Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:03 pm

Abdulhid State wrote:
Bovad wrote:Agreed, especially when the diffrence just keeps getting smaller.

The difference has not gotten smaller and they are not similar. "Conservatism" is adhering to traditional values, individual freedoms, the rule of law, human dignity, among other things. Nazism is anti-semitic, far-right Aryan nationalism combined with social Darwinism.

"Individual freedom": banning the freedom for people to present themselves as they wish or love who they wish openly.

"Rule of Law": January 6th

"Human Dignity": desperately trying to take away the dignity of the LGBT community.

Also, the Jewish Space Lasers conspiracy theory came from a prominent conservative.
"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little"-FDR
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist"-Dom Helder Camara
He/him
Aspie and proud

"During my research I interviewed a guy who said he was a libertarian until he did MDMA and realized that other people have feelings, and that was pretty much the best summary of libertarianism I've ever heard"

Bienenhalde
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 11, 2017
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Bienenhalde » Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:04 pm

Even though they may not be Nazis, populists still are posing a threat to the rule of law and human rights, so we have good reason to be concerned about their rising political influence.
Last edited by Bienenhalde on Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Port Caverton
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Port Caverton » Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:09 pm

Bienenhalde wrote:

Even though they may not be Nazis, populists still are posing a threat to the rule of law and human rights, so we have good reason to be concerned about their rising political influence.

I do agree that populists, regardless if they're left or right do damage democracy, but that doesn't mean they're communists/fascists for it.

EuroStralia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby EuroStralia » Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:18 pm

Neu California wrote:
Abdulhid State wrote:

"Individual freedom": banning the freedom for people to present themselves as they wish or love who they wish openly.

"Human Dignity": desperately trying to take away the dignity of the LGBT community.

Also, the Jewish Space Lasers conspiracy theory came from a prominent conservative.

This doesn't prove that conservatives are nazis or the like.

You already know my thoughts on this.

Most conservatives believe that LGBT people don't have dignity.

And that means?

Kennedy 2024 Trump 2024

Etat ya Mongolie
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 05, 2023
Ex-Nation

Postby Etat ya Mongolie » Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:21 pm

Me staring at Target…

The Sherpa Empire
Minister

Founded: Jan 15, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Sherpa Empire » Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:34 pm

I feel like the Disney-DeSantis beef is just making DeSantis look stupid, so of course your average Joe is not boycotting Disney over that.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།
Following new legislation in The Sherpa Empire, life is short but human kindness is endless.
Alternate IC names: Sherpaland, Pharak

Adamede
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 22, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Adamede » Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:35 pm

Turns out the majority of the public doesn’t like alt-right ideology.

Alcala-Cordel
Senator

Postby Alcala-Cordel » Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:54 pm

Port Caverton wrote:
Alcala-Cordel wrote:Couldn't possibly have anything to do with any ideological similarities they refuse to recognize...

Commies and Nazis both were against liberal democracy but that doesn't mean that they were the same, now does it.

Against liberal democracy for very different reasons. Supporting the status quo is a rightwing position, as is trying to establish past systems or establish hierarchy.

Saiwana
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 12, 2023
Father Knows Best State

Postby Saiwana » Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:54 pm

The heir to the Disney fortune is allegedly apart of LGBT, so on that basis alone we have to conclude that Disney isn't taking some moral high ground in siding against DeSantis or the larger GOP in all of this. It is because she is one of them.
Was Saiwania from 2008 to 2023. Remember the past, but strive for your future.

Alcala-Cordel
Senator

Postby Alcala-Cordel » Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:56 pm

Abdulhid State wrote:
Bovad wrote:Agreed, especially when the diffrence just keeps getting smaller.

Your description of conservatism is vague enough that a Nazi would probably say they support the same things.

Bovad
Minister

Founded: Mar 16, 2022

Postby Bovad » Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:56 pm

Saiwana wrote:The heir to the Disney fortune is allegedly apart of LGBT, so on that basis alone we have to conclude that Disney isn't taking some moral high ground in siding against DeSantis or the larger GOP in all of this. It is because she is one of them.

Guess you also hate MLK for being black and against rascism by that logic, huh?
Þ=Th. Join the revival.
Marxist-leninist, atheist, pro-choice, pro-LGBT+. Fuck Nazis.
GENERATION 34: The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross" -Apocryphally attributed to Sinclair Lewis.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity

Postby The Black Forrest » Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:02 pm

Saiwana wrote:The heir to the Disney fortune is allegedly apart of LGBT, so on that basis alone we have to conclude that Disney isn't taking some moral high ground in siding against DeSantis or the larger GOP in all of this. It is because she is one of them.

Actually they are. Disney has not made an official stance before. Florida employees were asked is this important and they said yes. Disney did not support the “Don’t say Gay” laws and thus the fighting began.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity

Postby The Black Forrest » Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:05 pm

As to the op? This isn’t a surpise. Brownback of Kansas basically give the republican masturbatory dream of implementing most of their wants in the state.

It practically fell to third world status.

The next guy who came in cleaned it up quick.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Neu California
Senator

Postby Neu California » Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:06 pm

Edit: screwed up the post formatting. I'll just make a new post
Last edited by Neu California on Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
He/him
Aspie and proud

Port Caverton
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Port Caverton » Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:08 pm

Alcala-Cordel wrote:
Port Caverton wrote:Commies and Nazis both were against liberal democracy but that doesn't mean that they were the same, now does it.

Against liberal democracy for very different reasons. Supporting the status quo is a rightwing position, as is trying to establish past systems or establish hierarchy.

That's my point. Just because they support the same thing doesn't mean its for the same reasons.

Social Liberals like FDR did not preserve the status quo, plus even if he did supporting welfare expansion and socially progressive policies are all left-wing ideals. Just because they're not left-wing enough to you doesn't mean that they're secretly right-wing,

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General