NATION

PASSWORD

Ask questions about aviation!

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

On a scale of 1-10, how interested are you in planes?

10
45
32%
9
14
10%
8
20
14%
7
15
11%
6
16
11%
5
4
3%
4
6
4%
3
3
2%
2
9
6%
1
9
6%
 
Total votes : 141

User avatar
Aircraft Enthusiast
Civilian
 
Posts: 1
Founded: May 08, 2023
Father Knows Best State

Ask questions about aviation!

Postby Aircraft Enthusiast » Wed May 24, 2023 9:20 pm

If you have a question about aviation, feel free to ask here. You can also come to the region Aircraft Enthusiast if you want to discuss aviation-related topics in our RMB
Last edited by Aircraft Enthusiast on Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:51 am, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
Greater Somoiland
Diplomat
 
Posts: 544
Founded: Mar 17, 2022
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Greater Somoiland » Wed May 24, 2023 9:54 pm

Well I guess I’ll be asking the first question. Why do long range planes have more engines than short range ones? I get bigger planes have more fuel but couldn’t they just solve that with wider turbofans? Planes like the 747 and A340 are super-long-rangers, yet they have 4 tiny engines when it should be more efficient to just have 2 large turbofans
I love planes!
My region is Aircraft Enthusiast. If you’re interested in planes, please consider making a puppet and heading on over there!

Plane forum is here if you have any questions

User avatar
Japuile
Envoy
 
Posts: 261
Founded: Aug 05, 2022
Corrupt Dictatorship

My question

Postby Japuile » Thu May 25, 2023 12:51 am

How can you realistically describe your airline if I've never done something like that? The most important thing is that my country is really green - I have a battery, solar panels and wind turbines better than my entire region. If it was not possible to electrify planes, I still have biofuel.
Head of State
"By the grace of the sun and the moon, by the power of storms and seas, Casimir I of the House of Episcopo"
Head of Goverment
The Honorable Prime Lord Alard Reyrond
Goverment
Absolute Constitutional Monarchy
Citizens have their rights, and so do the press and the media, but His Grand Majesty has great influence in the government, he is in every part of every instance in the tripartite division of power.
IIWiki
Overview of Country
"The future is today"
A 13,4 civilization, according to this index.
Proud member of: ASP, TGO, IOP

User avatar
HarYan
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 166
Founded: Jul 19, 2020
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby HarYan » Sat May 27, 2023 10:06 am

Opinion on the JAS 39 Gripen E/F?

User avatar
Crookfur
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 10829
Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Crookfur » Sat May 27, 2023 11:41 am

Greater Somoiland wrote:Well I guess I’ll be asking the first question. Why do long range planes have more engines than short range ones? I get bigger planes have more fuel but couldn’t they just solve that with wider turbofans? Planes like the 747 and A340 are super-long-rangers, yet they have 4 tiny engines when it should be more efficient to just have 2 large turbofans

The short answer until the 2000/2010s is ETOPS.

Basically when a twin engine aircraft loses and engine it loses 50% of it thrust whilst a quad engine only loses 25%. Thus in an engine out scenario a quad jet can maintain a higher cruising speed and thus can travel further to reach a diversion airport within the 2-3 hour typical diversion time aircraft are certified for.
Thus quad jets are typically able to fly more direct routes over water rather having to stay closer to airports along the way.
It's only recently that twinjets have been able to match this and naturally the quads went out of production when the long range 777s and A350s came along (well apart from the A380 but it uses 4 of what we're the largest engines at the time, which was kind of also the case for the 747 on its launch).

The long answer is basically the same but with all the wonderful engineering details of the projects. The 747 launched with the industry standard engine and received newer engines over the years. The A340 used 4 trend 500s because its sibling, the A330 already used 2 of the largest available engines (trent 700s) and couldn't match the A340 requirements.
Yes I know the airbuses don't just use the RR trent series but I'll be damned if I can remember the umpteen CFM and GE options.
The Kingdom of Crookfur
Your ordinary everyday scotiodanavian freedom loving utopia!

And yes I do like big old guns, why do you ask?

User avatar
Greater Somoiland
Diplomat
 
Posts: 544
Founded: Mar 17, 2022
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Greater Somoiland » Mon May 29, 2023 7:21 pm

Crookfur wrote:
Greater Somoiland wrote:Well I guess I’ll be asking the first question. Why do long range planes have more engines than short range ones? I get bigger planes have more fuel but couldn’t they just solve that with wider turbofans? Planes like the 747 and A340 are super-long-rangers, yet they have 4 tiny engines when it should be more efficient to just have 2 large turbofans

The short answer until the 2000/2010s is ETOPS.

Basically when a twin engine aircraft loses and engine it loses 50% of it thrust whilst a quad engine only loses 25%. Thus in an engine out scenario a quad jet can maintain a higher cruising speed and thus can travel further to reach a diversion airport within the 2-3 hour typical diversion time aircraft are certified for.
Thus quad jets are typically able to fly more direct routes over water rather having to stay closer to airports along the way.
It's only recently that twinjets have been able to match this and naturally the quads went out of production when the long range 777s and A350s came along (well apart from the A380 but it uses 4 of what we're the largest engines at the time, which was kind of also the case for the 747 on its launch).

The long answer is basically the same but with all the wonderful engineering details of the projects. The 747 launched with the industry standard engine and received newer engines over the years. The A340 used 4 trend 500s because its sibling, the A330 already used 2 of the largest available engines (trent 700s) and couldn't match the A340 requirements.
Yes I know the airbuses don't just use the RR trent series but I'll be damned if I can remember the umpteen CFM and GE options.

Interesting! Always wondered why but never considered engine loss requirements. I’d still make mine a twin engine tho
HarYan wrote:Opinion on the JAS 39 Gripen E/F?

Swedes make damn good planes. Great low-cost alternative for a nation looking to expand fighter capability. Of course, not as good as a stealth fighter, but for the cost it’s great
Japuile wrote:How can you realistically describe your airline if I've never done something like that? The most important thing is that my country is really green - I have a battery, solar panels and wind turbines better than my entire region. If it was not possible to electrify planes, I still have biofuel.

Japuile-Green Air is the best I could come up with. Search up Airbus zero emission if you wanna see plane examples
Last edited by Greater Somoiland on Mon May 29, 2023 7:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I love planes!
My region is Aircraft Enthusiast. If you’re interested in planes, please consider making a puppet and heading on over there!

Plane forum is here if you have any questions

User avatar
Greater Somoiland
Diplomat
 
Posts: 544
Founded: Mar 17, 2022
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Greater Somoiland » Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:41 am

Thoughts on a hypothetical supersonic transport?
I love planes!
My region is Aircraft Enthusiast. If you’re interested in planes, please consider making a puppet and heading on over there!

Plane forum is here if you have any questions

User avatar
Greater Somoiland
Diplomat
 
Posts: 544
Founded: Mar 17, 2022
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Greater Somoiland » Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:27 pm

If you’re seeing this forum and you’re interested in planes, please don’t pass it by. I want to create a community here, and anyone who’s reading this could be a part of it. I need people in my region. We’ll have things to keep you interested in planes. Plane concept competitions, polls about new plane designs, well even hold a plane question of the day. But please don’t pass by. We need you. I need you
I love planes!
My region is Aircraft Enthusiast. If you’re interested in planes, please consider making a puppet and heading on over there!

Plane forum is here if you have any questions

User avatar
Neonian Technocracy
Envoy
 
Posts: 269
Founded: Nov 08, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Neonian Technocracy » Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:29 pm

question:
can we replace the wings of an airplane with rockets like the ones of sci-fi movies?
Just your normal (or not) Dystopia of a intergalactic empire in eternal war, pretty much WH40K.

As the Technocracy grows faster than ever and rises again from his ashess we will return to complete the Sacred Mission, none shall survive our ascention, none biological form of live will be unpurified, none will stand against our leaders. Be Ready For The Moment.
The Technocracy Is Watching You.

A Class 0.3333333333333333 Civilization according to this index.

User avatar
Mushroom Gorge
Envoy
 
Posts: 236
Founded: Apr 28, 2022
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mushroom Gorge » Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:30 pm

You should make this thread look cooler, right now it's a little plane.
Hi, welcome to hell.
Depressed libsoc and San Francisco sports fan
"And yea, though the Hindus speak of karma, I implore you: give her a break." -Chevy Chase
alright, here we go. focus. rizz. i am rizz. one rizzler, 42 gyatters.

User avatar
Greater Somoiland
Diplomat
 
Posts: 544
Founded: Mar 17, 2022
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Greater Somoiland » Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:33 pm

Mushroom Gorge wrote:You should make this thread look cooler, right now it's a little plane.

How could I make it cooler?
Neonian Technocracy wrote:question:
can we replace the wings of an airplane with rockets like the ones of sci-fi movies?

If you had the right control systems and the right rockets, yes. But it would be very impractical and useless. Don’t believe anything about aviation that’s in movies
I love planes!
My region is Aircraft Enthusiast. If you’re interested in planes, please consider making a puppet and heading on over there!

Plane forum is here if you have any questions

User avatar
Newplym
Secretary
 
Posts: 27
Founded: Jun 04, 2023
Ex-Nation

Postby Newplym » Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:43 pm

Greater Somoiland wrote:
Mushroom Gorge wrote:You should make this thread look cooler, right now it's a little plane.

How could I make it cooler?


Add more fins, they are great for heat dissipation!

User avatar
Greater Somoiland
Diplomat
 
Posts: 544
Founded: Mar 17, 2022
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Greater Somoiland » Sat Jun 10, 2023 7:13 pm

Newplym wrote:
Greater Somoiland wrote:How could I make it cooler?


Add more fins, they are great for heat dissipation!

You into rockets and missiles? Our region accepts rocket enthusiasts
Last edited by Greater Somoiland on Sat Jun 10, 2023 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I love planes!
My region is Aircraft Enthusiast. If you’re interested in planes, please consider making a puppet and heading on over there!

Plane forum is here if you have any questions

User avatar
Mushroom Gorge
Envoy
 
Posts: 236
Founded: Apr 28, 2022
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mushroom Gorge » Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:55 pm

Greater Somoiland wrote:
Newplym wrote:
Add more fins, they are great for heat dissipation!

You into rockets and missiles? Our region accepts rocket enthusiasts

I like thermonuclear bombs
Hi, welcome to hell.
Depressed libsoc and San Francisco sports fan
"And yea, though the Hindus speak of karma, I implore you: give her a break." -Chevy Chase
alright, here we go. focus. rizz. i am rizz. one rizzler, 42 gyatters.

User avatar
Greater Somoiland
Diplomat
 
Posts: 544
Founded: Mar 17, 2022
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Greater Somoiland » Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:35 pm

Mushroom Gorge wrote:
Greater Somoiland wrote:You into rockets and missiles? Our region accepts rocket enthusiasts

I like thermonuclear bombs

What about nuclear engines and nuclear-powered planes?
I love planes!
My region is Aircraft Enthusiast. If you’re interested in planes, please consider making a puppet and heading on over there!

Plane forum is here if you have any questions

User avatar
Greater Somoiland
Diplomat
 
Posts: 544
Founded: Mar 17, 2022
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Greater Somoiland » Mon Jun 19, 2023 1:30 pm

Does anyone have any questions they want to ask? Cuz rn the only question in my mind is why no one is interested in planes
I love planes!
My region is Aircraft Enthusiast. If you’re interested in planes, please consider making a puppet and heading on over there!

Plane forum is here if you have any questions

User avatar
Bayerischer Nationalstaat
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 188
Founded: Jun 19, 2023
Ex-Nation

Postby Bayerischer Nationalstaat » Mon Jun 19, 2023 1:43 pm

Hm.
Green Bay Packer owner (One of 510,000!)
Staunch proponent of Libertarianism.
Anti-Communist.
Two sport athlete.
Going through a breakup.

This nation does not represent my IRL views.

User avatar
Ethensia
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 135
Founded: Aug 23, 2022
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ethensia » Mon Jun 19, 2023 1:47 pm

Greater Somoiland wrote:Does anyone have any questions they want to ask? Cuz rn the only question in my mind is why no one is interested in planes

I am!


I wonder why we have to stow our tray tables during landing and takeoff, and we have to put our window covers up during those times too? Last time I heard that was when I was on a Jetstar Airbus-A321 from Melbourne to Sydney.
- The United Federal Commonwealth of Ethensia -
”United we stand, Together we stay”
Cool Stuff and News: The Ethensian Air Force has just retired the A6M Zero and P-38 lightning, the government says that their army will now begin to modernise. | The Ethensian Civil War is sadly, still ongoing. However several Autocratic Ethensian outposts have been destroyed.

User avatar
Greater Somoiland
Diplomat
 
Posts: 544
Founded: Mar 17, 2022
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Greater Somoiland » Mon Jun 19, 2023 1:51 pm

Ethensia wrote:
Greater Somoiland wrote:Does anyone have any questions they want to ask? Cuz rn the only question in my mind is why no one is interested in planes

I am!


I wonder why we have to stow our tray tables during landing and takeoff, and we have to put our window covers up during those times too? Last time I heard that was when I was on a Jetstar Airbus-A321 from Melbourne to Sydney.

I’m not 100% sure, but I think the reason for the tray tables is because they would rattle against the seats and just make a lot of noise. Also I’m sure they pose a safety risk in a potential crash. As for windows, I’d think it’s because of cabin lighting, but to be honest I’ve never heard about putting window covers up for takeoff and landing
I love planes!
My region is Aircraft Enthusiast. If you’re interested in planes, please consider making a puppet and heading on over there!

Plane forum is here if you have any questions

User avatar
Al-Momenta
Attaché
 
Posts: 71
Founded: Mar 11, 2023
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Al-Momenta » Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:07 pm

If you were a plane, what plane would you be?

User avatar
Greater Somoiland
Diplomat
 
Posts: 544
Founded: Mar 17, 2022
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Greater Somoiland » Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:10 pm

Al-Momenta wrote:If you were a plane, what plane would you be?

An F-15 Eagle or F/A-18 Hornet. Or maybe an F-22 Raptor. The F/A-18 excels as multi role, and if I was in combat I might want that. The F-15 Eagle has the highest kill ratio of any plane, ever. With 104 kills and no losses in combat, it would be great in aerial combat if I have to face up against anyone. In F-22 Raptor on the other hand would be fun to fly around in, fun to pull off stunts with, and just fun in general
I love planes!
My region is Aircraft Enthusiast. If you’re interested in planes, please consider making a puppet and heading on over there!

Plane forum is here if you have any questions

User avatar
Te Netherlands
Envoy
 
Posts: 230
Founded: Jul 31, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Te Netherlands » Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:14 pm

What is your favorite commercial aircraft?
Official name: the Netherlands
After some disputes within the PVV and the CDP about the new political party (National Party of the Netherlands) PM Legtenberg announced that the name will be the Conservative Party. Because the initial NPN became associated with far-right parties NSB and NSDAP in the '30s and '40s. PM Legtenberg further announced that the Netherlands wil also be a Federal Republic from 1 January 2024. And that he will become the first President of the Netherlands. How this will affect the elections will be decided by him and the House

User avatar
Ethensia
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 135
Founded: Aug 23, 2022
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ethensia » Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:18 pm

Is the plane on your flag an F-15 Strike Eagle or F-14 Tomcat?
- The United Federal Commonwealth of Ethensia -
”United we stand, Together we stay”
Cool Stuff and News: The Ethensian Air Force has just retired the A6M Zero and P-38 lightning, the government says that their army will now begin to modernise. | The Ethensian Civil War is sadly, still ongoing. However several Autocratic Ethensian outposts have been destroyed.

User avatar
Greater Somoiland
Diplomat
 
Posts: 544
Founded: Mar 17, 2022
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Greater Somoiland » Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:23 pm

Te Netherlands wrote:What is your favorite commercial aircraft?

I would say the 777, purely for its size it’s my favorite. The fact a plane so big only needs 2 engines, and the fact those 2 engines are the most powerful in the word. I just think the 777 is overall a really cool plane
Ethensia wrote:Is the plane on your flag an F-15 Strike Eagle or F-14 Tomcat?

It’s an F-15. The F-14 has swing wings, and a different windshield design that is actually very noticeable. It is a reasonable mistake tho. And also the engines on the F-15 are hiring in the fuselage, while in the F-14 they’re under the main body. Also the gun on the F-15 is placed over the engine intake, while on the F-14 it’s placed in a position underneath the left side of the cockpit
I love planes!
My region is Aircraft Enthusiast. If you’re interested in planes, please consider making a puppet and heading on over there!

Plane forum is here if you have any questions

User avatar
Ethensia
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 135
Founded: Aug 23, 2022
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ethensia » Mon Jun 19, 2023 4:09 pm

By the way, I’m having trouble identifying what this plane is:
Image
I may be an aviation fan but this plane I took a photo of at Bacolod Silay Airport, Philippines just makes me wonder.. what is that plane?
- The United Federal Commonwealth of Ethensia -
”United we stand, Together we stay”
Cool Stuff and News: The Ethensian Air Force has just retired the A6M Zero and P-38 lightning, the government says that their army will now begin to modernise. | The Ethensian Civil War is sadly, still ongoing. However several Autocratic Ethensian outposts have been destroyed.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bayshire, Dtn

Advertisement

Remove ads