NATION

PASSWORD

The End of an Age (OOC/Signups/FanT)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!
The Multiversal Library
Envoy

Founded: Apr 28, 2022
Left-Leaning College State

The End of an Age (OOC/Signups/FanT)

Postby The Multiversal Library » Wed May 24, 2023 11:01 am

"Cormir spoke, and the Mantle fractured
Lifting the Heart of Divinity from its prison
And from that fragment of Primordium created
Cormiria, carved by the Son of Corvon!" -unknown

Map|IC
Current Year: 699 S.C. (Since the founding of Cormiria)

It is a time of change. That is what the augurs in the temples of the Imperial Cult cry, and the Prophet of Par'an, and the soothsayers and oracles, all of them shouting the same thing to any who will listen; it is a time of change. From Cormiria in the North to Albenmoor in the West and Par'anaq in the South, the rich and the powerful are told that now is the time for conquest and apotheosis. Even the mages, usually content to sit in their palaces or towers and study the arcane, have heeded the cries of the clergy, and even now they toil away, seeking the secrets of the Primordium.
In the venerable Empire of Calrody, the Imperial Legions are being mustered by the Emperor, Cortaeus IV, descendant of Cormir the Great, so that the young sovereign may prove himself his ancestor's equal by uniting the entire world beneath the Crimson Banner. In the South, the chosen people of Par'an march inexorably North, to bring the mercy of the Sun God to the barbarians. The fortress-city of Arkadis, ruled by a council of Protectors, is the only thing standing between the Suladh Al'eakimat and their goal, and His Most Sublime Imperial Majesty, Qasir ahn Yuzuf il-Par'an, has declared that Arkadis will fall, and with it the North. Even the usually isolated Western Kingdoms are in chaos, with the Valish kings warring with each other for the high kingship, and the chivalrous knights of Merovia find themselves battling masked raiders from the Far North in greater numbers than ever seen before.
Now is a time of change. A time when even the lowliest may find themselves making history as Cormir Calrody, a humble farmer turned Mage-Emperor, once did 700 years ago when the last time of change was declared. Now is a time when mortal magic can create wonders, or nightmares. Now is a time when civilization can advance in leaps and bounds, or be sent into a dark age. Now, now is the end of an age, for good or ill.

Hello, and welcome to "The End of an Age" RP! Now, unless you decided to skip the wall of text above this box, then you probably have a good idea of what this RP is about, but I will explain the nature of this RP in greater danger anyway, because I need to add some fluff to this box anyway. The End of an Age is, unsurprisingly, about the end of the status quo that has dominated the Known World for 700 years. I referenced several locations and countries in the OP, and while I'll have a dedicated lore section below, I'll give you all an out-of-character explanation on the most important concepts and nations.
First up we have the Empire of Calrody, which acts sort of like this RP's Rome, except for a few key differences. The biggest being it is, effectively, a magocracy (think the Tevinter Imperium but with less blood sacrifice), with the Emperors being the most powerful mages in the Empire, followed by the High Generals, then the generals, then other senior military officers, the nobility, and then all other mages. If you want to play as literally anyone of import in Calrody, you'll have to have some magical talent. Or you could decide that you don't like the magocracy and perhaps do something along the lines of, oh I don't know, cough a revolution cough.
Next up we have the Suladh Al'eakimat, also known as Great Par'anjar. Great Par'anjar is very loosely based on a mix of the early Islamic conquests and the various Iranian Zoroastrian empires. Ruled by a Divine Emperor who is sequestered within the Palace of the Sun, most power in Great Par'anjar is held by the clergy and enforced by the Temple Orders, holy warriors in service to the clergy and the Prophet of Par'an, an immortal being that spread the faith of Par'an to the Southern Continent. Notably, Great Par'anjar has complete equality among the genders and different races, as long as they worship Par'an, of course.
Now onto magic. I'll just give a brief rundown on how magic works, since I'll be writing a far more detailed lore post below. To put it simply, magic relies on two things; willpower and Primordium essence. If a mage is absolutely determined to change something, or conversely absolutely unwilling to fail, then as long as they have sufficient Primordium essence, they can change reality however they want. Now the thing that prevents every stubborn mage from ascending to godhood is Primordium essence, a crystalline material that periodically forms around places touched by the Primordials, beings that ruled the world before the Dawn of Humanity. Only a few areas grow sufficient amounts of essence to allow truly wonderous spells to be cast, and these are either directly controlled by rulers, powerful mage-lords, or the temples.
And that is it for the walls of text that aren't hidden behind spoilers!

Rules:
1. No godmodding/metagaming.
2. Don't be a dick.
3. My word is law.
4. Posts should be a minimum of two paragraphs.
5. Have fun!

Application
Code: Select all
Name: (delete all in parentheses)
Appearance: (image or description or both)
Bio: (at least 2 paragraphs)
Strengths:
Weaknesses: (1 for every 2 strengths)
Theme: (optional)

Lore

The Empire of Calrody

"I would sooner sell my children to the Par'anjari then give you the Throne!" -Last words of Emperor Cormir II before being killed by his brother, Corenus the Usurper

The center of human civilization. The heart of magical culture. The empire ruled from a city carved out of the crystallized heart of some Primordial god. Founded by the enigmatic Cormir Calrody, called the Great following the declaration of his empire, the Empire of Calrody has been ruled by the House of Calrody since its inception. For 700 years the Empire has dominated the North, the various smaller kingdoms living in the shadow of Imperial mages and legions, fearing that they'd be the next conquest. But for the past century, the great armies of the Empire have stayed within its borders. Not because of unrest, no, but because the Empire was experiencing an era of peace, prosperity, and magical advancement.
The ones responsible for this golden age were the Four Golden Emperors; Cormir V Peacemaker, Cormir VI the Builder, Corenus III the Reformer, and Corvon the Good. When Emperor Corvon died, the entire Empire mourned, not only for the death of their beloved Emperor, but also because his young son, Cortaeus, crowned himself Emperor Cortaeus IV before his father's body was even cold. Unlike the Four Golden Emperors, Cortaeus considered himself a master strategist and great conqueror, despite the fact that he had never been near a battlefield in all his nineteen years of life. Nevertheless, his first act as Emperor was to marshal the Imperial Legions, confidently declaring, "I shall do what even Cormir the Great could not; bring the entire world beneath my banner!" The first target for the Young Conqueror's legions? The Empire's eastern neighbors; the Kingdoms of Carrinia and Galea. Will the Young Conqueror fulfill his ambition, or will he fly too close to the sun, like so many Emperors before him?

Cormir the Great and Cormiria, His City
"There is a rumor spreading amongst the commons that demons and Primordials are being fed the blood of virgins by the Emperor in exchange for power. Extinguish these baseless rumors at once, for I'll not have that bastard-emperor Cordreon take credit for my life's work!" -Mage-Lord Veltarian Aedryis

Cormir Calrody was born sometime around -30 S.C. to a humble family of subsistence farmers. His father, Corvon, had once been a man-at-arms in service to a local warlord before losing his sword arm in one of the many petty wars of that era. Corvon was granted a small plot of nigh-infertile land as his "reward" for services rendered, and although it was clearly meant to be an insult Corvon and his wife Aeo quickly settled into the farming life. When Cormir was born, it is said that the Sun hid its face out of shame that a mortal was more beautiful than it.
Throughout his childhood, Cormir was always the fastest, strongest, and cleverest among his peers, excelling in all he put his juvenile mind to, while gathering a growing following of close friends and sworn-siblings. When he reached adulthood (a mere fifteen years in those days), Cormir gathered his many friends and followers in the center of his small village and declared that there would be no more kings, no more warlords or petty tyrants, but one Emperor, and that all the lands would be united under one Throne. With that, he reached into the earth and, using magic so powerful that the ground shook, pulled a massive chunk of Primordium essence nearly 1,300 square kilometers around out of the ground. Though his home village was now completely destroyed by the risen Primordium, Cormir was unfazed and his followers looked on in awe as he carved a massive metropolis out of the ruby red Primordium.
After the creation of what Cormir referred to as His City, the newly-crowned Emperor Cormir led his burgeoning empire to conquer the entirety of his homeland, uniting it under the banner of Calrody. Soon after, Cormir launched a devastating campaign against the ancient Kingdom of Aemrean, the homeland of the elven people. Though famed for their spellcraft and gallant knights, Aemrean fell after the Battle of Two Suns, when Cormir slew King Maeron aen'Tuathal following a two-hour long magical duel between the two. Seeing their king fall, the elves surrendered, however Princess Liandriel aen'Tuathal and many of the minor nobility were outraged by this perceived cowardice and continued to wage a guerilla war in the mountains and forests of Aemrean. While the reason for this was publicly to free Aemrean from human occupation and return it to its rightful immortal rulers, many humans believed that the warrior-nobles resisted due to their lands being given to more loyal elven lords following the conquest of Aemrean.
Next to fall were the Highlander kingdoms that occupied much of the Primordium-rich mountains of the Aetherling Range, though the dwarven kings submitted to imperial rule peacefully in exchange for self-rule. Though the Empire of Calrody would continue to expand under Cormir the Great's successors, the majority of the Empire's current territory was obtained through Cormir's Great Conquests. The First and Greatest Emperor disappeared, and presumably died, exploring the abyssal realms beneath the Imperial Palace.

Following Cormir the Great's disappearance, his eldest son Cormir II declared that his first act as Emperor was to name the city that his father had carved from the heart of a dead god Cormiria. While none denied that the First Emperor deserved such an honor, some accused Cormir II of trying to attach himself to the glories of his father. While the ensuing rebellion against Cormir II and installation of Corenus I as Emperor is well known, the reason that the Usurper managed to maintain such high support during his reign is less so. While Cormir II had been a decadent and uninvolved ruler, Corenus I ruled with an iron fist and routinely ordered that young men and women be brought to the bowels of the Imperial Palace, something that should have united the aristocracy and peasanty against the Throne and brought an end to the Calrody name. But it didn't, and the reason for this was the exact reason so many souls disappeared into the Lower Chambers; the Abyssals.
The Abyssals had originally dwelt in what they call Div'Oahadii Mahaak, the Grave of the Old Ones, deep within the earth. When Cormir the Great brought the Heart of Divinity to the surface, however, many of the Abyssals within the Heart were brought with it unwillingly. Ancient creatures that fed on pure Primordium, the Abyssals could not survive if separated from the stuff for long periods of time. However, as Cormiria was carved from pure Primordium, the Abyssals could theoretically survive forever by going into a form of hibernation. But Corenus I struck a bargain with the Abyssals; in exchange for power, he would feed the Abyssals the trace amounts of Primordium present in blood. While few other Emperors have been cold-hearted enough to make the same deal as Corenus I, the Abyssals remain in the endless halls beneath the Palace, waiting for someone ambitious enough to seek the power of the Primordials.

The Imperial Cult

"It is known that the gods died so that Humanity could be born, and while we honor the sacrifice of the Creators we cannot leave the thrones of Heaven empty. The Emperors before me were mighty, mighty enough to forge cities from Primordium and subjugate hundreds, thousands of tribes! I am no less mighty! I am a god, and my ancestors before me await my return to Heaven!" -Emperor Cormir III Temple-Builder

The more cynical members of Imperial society often call the Imperial Cult little more than another way for the Emperors to control the people of Calrody. But to those who believe in the divinity of the Emperors, the Imperial Cult offers them a reward for their hardships and struggles on the mortal plane; godhood. The Imperial Cult is the largest religion and the state religion of the Empire of Calrody. It is led by the Synod, a council of the high priests of the largest temples. The Synod decides official Cult doctrine, if an Emperor is to be deified on their death, recording every member of the Imperial and noble families, and deciding which religions the Cult will recognize as simply worshipping the Emperors under different names.
While the Synod wields no official power in government affairs following the Edict of Namirus, the high priests of the Synod retain control over the Magon Genologica, the official list of every magical bloodline in the Empire and which has been known to be "altered" in exchange for favors and wealth. While Cortaeus IV levies taxes across the entirety of Imperial society to reform and expand the bloated apparatus that is the Legion system, the Synod plots towards placing a more pious, a more pliable Emperor on the Crimson Throne. Should the temples succeed in their plot, the Crimson Throne would be effectively under control of someone other than a member of the House of Calrody for the first time in its history.

The List of Emperors, as Recognized by the Synod and the Imperial Household
(0 - 25) Cormir I, the Great, deified as Cormiragnus, God of Rulership and the Empire
(25 - 26) Cormir II, the Short Reigning
(26 - 71) Corenus I, the Usurper, reluctantly deified as Corenthal, God of Deception and Plots
(71 - 74) Corenus II, the Old
(74 - 105) Cormir III, Temple-Builder, deified as the Living God Coratheod, God of Priests and Religion
(105 - 200) Cordreon I, the Abyss-Starer, deified as Cordrygas, God of the Abyss and Magic
(200 - 245) Corram I/Corra I, the Unfettered, deified as Corralym, Goddess of Change and Ambition
(245 - 249) Corin I, the Unlucky
(249 - 249) Corram II, the Infirm
(249 - 262) Cordreon II, Mage-Born, deified as Cordaelyr, God of Order and Law
(262 - 299) Cortaeus I, the Cruel, reluctantly deified as Cortaelac, God of Punishment and Malice
(299 - 321) Corram III, the Enlightened, deified as Coraadim, God of Tolerance and Equality
(321 - 361) Cortaeus II, the Agreeable
(361 - 395) Cormir IV, the Quaraller, deified as Corbellos, God of War and Battle
(395 - 444) Corin II, the Unaging, deified as Corinaphis, Goddess of Beauty and Courtly Love
(444 - 456) Corin III, the Lover, deified as Corinera, Goddess of Romance and Sensual Love
(456 - 501) Corra II, the Red Empress, deified as the Living Goddess Corramiel, Goddess of Conquest and Discipline
(501 - 575) Cordreon III, the Venerable, deified as Cordyrien, God of Life and Wisdom
(575 - 600) Cortaeus III, the Unexpected
(600 - 620) Cormir V, Peacemaker, deified as Cormiros, God of Peace and Justice
(620 - 645) Cormir VI, the Builder, deified as Cormiran, God of Architects and Trade
(645 - 685) Corenus III, the Reformer, deified as Corenargus, God of Reform and Honesty
(685 - 699) Corvon, the Good, deified as Corvielas, God of the Peasantry and Freedom
(699 - Current) Cortaeus IV, the Young Conqueror

The Suladh Al'eakimat

"When the Prophet of Par'an, the Most Sublime, came to the city of Adiin'eakim, They were turned away by all the people but one. That one pious soul was Umahr ahn Razid, and to reward this faithful servant Par'an made him invincible to mortal weapons, granting him and his family the name il-Par'an, the Clan of Par'an. Praise his name, children, as he is the First Saint, the Most Divine at Sublimity's Side, the founder of the Suladh Al'eakimat." -Jahdam ahn Tamir il-Musair, Storyteller to Eakim Ashar ahn Murhad il-Najaad

When compared to the Empire of Calrody, the Suladh Al'eakimat is a young nation. Having been founded in 560 S.C. by the fanatical il-Par'an clan under Umahr ahn Razid, the Suladh Al'eakimat (or Great Par'anjar as it is known in the North) rapidly spread across the Southern Continent by both sword and faith. Most of the tribes that called the vast deserts of the South home converted to the new faith and proclaimed themselves "Qhul Par'an", or the Tribe of Par'an, however a coalition of warlords who resented surrendering their independence, wanted to maintain their tribal culture, or wished to continue to worship the ancient pantheon of the Southern tribes formed under the leadership of Mhomet ahn Yuzef. Following the brutal Battle of the Apostates' Wails, Mhomet's coalition was utterly destroyed and the tribes that had resisted Divine Emperor Umahr were annihilated. Next to be brought into the Al'eakimat was the ancient and wealthy Mayazdi Rhaj, a kingdom that ruled the fertile lands around the Suntouched Bay. Much like the Qhul Par'an, the Qhul Mayazd worshipped a single god of the sun, and so when the armies of the Divine Emperor reached Khosraan, the capital of the Rhaj, Rhan Ardazraw III laid his crown and scepter at the feet of General Kahlim ahn Wadim ir-Lataam. Shortly afterward, the Queendom of Elayazh fell following the destruction of their fleet and the death of their last queen, Jazynthe X.
For the past century the Suladh Al'eakimat has slowly conquered the Syndrian republics on its western border, its advance halted only by the Lord Protectors of Kalade and the fortress-city of Arkadis. However, Qasir ahn Yuzuf il-Par'an, Divine Emperor by the Will of Providence and the Prophet, has taken a personal interest in seeing Arkadis fall, and the Northern barbarians brought into Par'an's Light. The Lord Protectors have called for aid, but will they be able to hold the line against ten million men, almost the entirety of the Suladh Al'eakimat's armies?

The Kingdom of Merovia

"You ask me to sacrifice my honor for the sake of the kingdom, but this kingdom was founded on the ideals of honor and justice. A king who demands we abandon honor is no king at all." -Last words of Sir Henri dey Chalis

The history of the Kingdom of Merovia is one of sorrow and decreasing territory. The land that comprises modern Merovia was once held by a civilization described only as serpentine in nature. The civilization of the snakemen was apparently very, very advanced, but relied completely on slave labor, mostly human slaves from the tribes of the Far North. The Merovii were one of these tribes, and the ones with the most of their people enslaved, so when a slave rebellion finally occurred the Merovii were the most dominant of the tribes to emerge following the genocide of the snakemen. Having experienced the horrors of slavery, the first Merovian king, Alaric the Gallant, outlawed slavery within his new kingdom, which held all the lands from the Pale River to the Aelvhad Peninsula. However, shortly after Alaric died Cormir began his conquests, and young King Theudoric, hungry for glory, led ten thousand knights east to aid King Maeron of Aemrean, and fell at the Battle of Two Suns along with all his brothers and most of the nobility of Merovia. The ensuing civil war saw the Merovians lose the Aelvhad Peninsula to the Empire, while the Valish tribes rose in rebellion, slaying the Ducs ruling their lands. When King Mikal dey Raux finally ended the civil war, raiders from the Far North seized the Duchy of Rolanveux and declared the Kingdom of Norrena, with the only territory remaining to the Merovians being the ruin-littered heartland of both their kingdom and the snakemen's civilization.
Many kings have ruled Merovia since Mikal dey Raux reuninted the country, and many have tried to restore the kingdom's borders to the ones it had in the days of Alaric the Gallant, but all have ended in failure. Now, it seems that the Chivalric Kingdom may truly be doomed, for the Imperial Legions gather on its border, while bloodthirsty raiders pour into Merovia from the Far North. The elderly King Rolan dey Hoire has resigned himself to being the last king of Merovia, but not all will go so quietly into the night. Duc Alaric dey Mero, the Duc of Feyat, has stopped the northmen just north of the Old Road, and many believe that he will push the invaders back into the Far North.

The Western Kingdoms

"The Kings of the West bow to no one save the High King, and he's been dead for millenia!" -King Joran of the Pale

The Western Kingdoms is the name applied to the various Valish and Northmen kingdoms occupying the western portion of the continent. Once, these kingdoms had been united under the rule of the Merovian hero-king Alaric the Gallant, but now they are renowned for their contentious and independent nature. However, there was a time even before Alaric's time when the Western Kingdoms were united under a native ruler; the High King. The High King supposedly ruled thousands of years before the Merovii overthrew their serpentine overlords, and most of the Valish kings claim descent from the legendary High King. The Valish kings are currently embroiled in several brutal conflicts with each other as a renewed desire to restore the High Kingship has seized the minds of the Valish.

The Kingdoms of Galea and Carrinia

"If you insult a Carrinian's wife, he'll laugh and then kill you. If you insult his harem, he'll kill you. If you insult him, he'll insult you back. And then he'll kill you." -Captain Ortho Vyne to Lord Vectus Rell, Imperial envoy to King Joaquin II of Carrinia

The Twin Kingdoms were founded by the legendary twins Gallo and Carrina del Ibero. Famously mercurial and passionate, the Twin Kingdoms have been allies just as often as they have been rivals. The northernmost, and according to their rulers the oldest, of the Twins is the Kingdom of Carrinia, ruled by Agustin IV del Ibero. The Carrinians dress in colorful clothes, most often various shades of bright red, with a common saying being that the Carrinians love red because it hides wine and blood stains. The stereotype that every Carrinian is a swaggering, womanizing bravo is of course a fallacy, but the Carrinian people are famously hot-blooded, with the fighting skills from generations of warfare with the Empire causing many an argument to escalate into bloody duels. It is also not uncommon for a Carrinian to have several lovers of either gender as well as a spouse, as in the Carrinian culture you marry to produce an heir, and keep a harem for pleasure.
In the Kingdom of Galea, the scions of Gallo have turned their passions to the pursuit of money instead of pleasure. Ruled by Queen Isabel del Ibero, the merchant princes of Galea have their hands in every mercantile enterprise there is. From slaves and spices to soldiers and steel, in every city Galean merchants can be found. But the Galeans are also famed for their pirates, mercenaries, and assassins, and the Galean Crown is not afraid to leverage its more shady enterprises to obtain more wealth and power.

The Free Companies

"I once fought one o' them Free Companies. The star fellas they were, the bleedin' screamy ones wot wear the bloomin' weird masks, i'n it? Almost lost me arm wen one o' 'em thought it'd 'ave a look nice on 'is belt 'o arms that 'e took from some uvver poor bastards." -Gwayne Oldfellow

Many mercenary bands and sellswords ply their trade across the lands, but only a few earn the honor of becoming Free Companies. The Free Companies are the oldest and most storied of mercenary companies, with many having been founded by peoples and nations which no longer exist. Many Free Companies are larger than some small countries, and oftentimes the mere presence of a Free Company is enough to cause an opponent to surrender. Currently only three Free Companies are taking contracts.
List of Free Companies Awaiting Contract
The Onyx Legion- Last of the Jewl Legions, founded in -1560 S.C.. Specializes in formation fighting and heavy infantry, although the Legion maintains a small core of elephants. Currently led by Legate Quilonus Nyxgatis. Comprised of 10,000 legionarries and 300 elephants.
The Seventh Star of Khuog'hammang'yllaah- Founded in -7777 S.C. following a religious schism in the almost apocryphal Hymav'uhngaz'ndao Apothesisate. The Seventh Star has almost been completely wiped out in almost every conflict it has fought in throughout its very long history, but its numbers seemingly always return to 7,777 after a short while. Currently led by Apothesisarch Suvaan'khudhar'deiok. Comprised of 7,777 assorted heavy and light infantry.
The Company of the Kingsblood- Consisting of the descendants of royalty and nobility from various defeated nations or ousted monarchies. Founded in -592 S.C. by Kyvan Varn after his father, King Olyvras of Cynder, was executed following the conquest of Cynder by King Valyns Domyce of Tyrent. Currently led by Lord Commander Kyvan XII Varn. Comprised of 5,000 heavy infantry, 2,500 knights, and 3,000 archers.

Magic

"Day 1,549 of experimentation. I have imbued my hands with the power of transmutation! I can't wait to see the looks on those alchemists' faces when they see that I have accomplished what they could not! And with no side affects as well!" -Excerpt from the journal of Transmutationist Cyvas the Gilded, found next to the Transmutationist's emaciated corpse and several golden statues

Magic has shaped the history of the world since the Primordials first shaped the continents. It has raised cities out of the ground, reduced entire armies to dust, and allowed the most powerful mages to become living gods. All living beings are capable of magic, but only a few have the resources to actually produce wonders. The reason for this? Primordium.
Primordium is naturally produced by a living being in small amounts, and this amount is maxed out at around 125 grams. While a human or dwarf could cast very minor spells such as a spell making them feel warm or more awake with only their naturally produced Primordium, elves are able to produce 3225 grams, allowing them to perform much more powerful spells without using crystal Primordium. However, no matter their race, if a mage attempts to cast a spell that would burn all of their available Primordium the spell will instead begin taking the required energy from the mage's body. More experienced mages can force the spell to use their blood, because if it takes too much blood they will simply lose consciousness and the spell will stop. However, less experienced mages are unable to choose what the spell takes to feed itself, and it could be anything from parts of their liver to their heart or lungs. Some mages actually specialize in using blood over Primordium, as blood is burnt more slowly than Primordium, and the term bloodmage is used for mages who either use their own blood the blood of others to fuel their spells.
Primordium is not only present in the blood of living things, but also in areas where the Primordials lived and died. The Aetherling Range is famous for the large amounts of Primordium that grow there and the alacrity at which it regenerates, and smaller amounts of Primordium can be found all across the world. Cormiria, the Suntouched Bay, Arkadis, the Pale River, and among the ruins of the snakemen is where the largest deposits of Primordium can be found. And because of this, these areas are either home to massive, sprawling cities built with magic, or are the cause of many brutal wars for control of the bountiful Primordium.

The Elder Races

"Why they callin' 'em the Elder Races for, eh? I've chatted with a few of 'em and they don't seem that old, you know what I mean? Them elven lasses though, they're a different story." -Scotty Harmond, local drunk

The term "Elder Races" is used by humans to refer to all sapient non-humans, mainly the elves and dwarves, though some people also refer to the long dead snakemen as an Elder Race. The Elder Races share three traits; their civilizations existed long before humanity, they are long lived, and their capacity for magic far exceeds humanity's.
The elves are the race that most people think of when they think of the Elder Races. Forever young, forever beautiful, and also forever vengeful. The elves, according to their history, have always existed, though they apparently once ruled far more than just Aemrean. The elven empire was apparently ruled from a great island that sat in the middle of the Storm Sea, and when an event known as the Collapse occurred, that island was sunk and the elven empire was shattered. When humanity first appeared, the elves were on the brink of extinction and one by one their kingdoms fell to humanity. Except for Aemrean, but even Aemrean fell when Cormir Calrody came with his spells and his legions. Though an elven governor rules Aemrean and most elves are content to live beneath the Crimson Throne, there are some who still fight for a free Aemrean. An elven Aemrean. The Shadows of Vengeance, in Aemreanic Cyzgodon Dyledd, are the descendants of Princess Liandriel aen'Tuathal and the knights who refused to bow to the Calrodys, and rumor has it that they plan to take advantage of the uncertainty surrounding the new Emperor to exact their revenge on their oppressors, human and collaborator alike.
Elvenkind is not the only Elder Race, though, as their ancient rivals are always happy to point out. The dwarves have existed just as long as the elves, though they have never left the Aetherling Range, content to carve sprawling citadels out of their mountain homes and grow rich off of the Primordium trade. When Cormir began conquering the human tribes that ruled the lower slopes, the Council of Kings voted almost unanimously to swear fealty to the Empire. The only dissenter was King Thurgolm of Khol Kadaar, who hated the humans more than he hated the elves. But the other kings disagreed, and besides, Cormir was a mage, and mages needed Primordium. And who had the Primordium? The dwarves. Ever since then, the dwarves have been quite happy in the Empire, as they were still ruled by their kings and were granted almost a monopoly on the Primordium trade. The sons of King Thurgolm were exiled, along with their clan, and they still roam the mountain roads as self-described "freedom fighters", though they are little more than bandits.

The Dawn of Humanity

"You mortal-things called it 'the Dawn of Humanity'. Pah, what a ridiculous name. Down in Div'Oahadii Mahaak, in Nerhaa Zirdaal, we called it the Final Cycle. Explain it? Hah! No, I think that explaining it will spoil the surprise." -Zjaadimaazt, Chronicler of the Abyss King, to Emperor Cordreon the Abyss-Starer

Humanity has not always existed on this planet. Long ago, the world belonged to the elves, the dwarves, and the snakemen, and before that it belonged to the Primordials. The phenomenon which resulted in humanity, a race that lacks the power and lifespan of the Elder Races, to become the dominant species is known as the Dawn of Humanity. Very little is actually known about what the Dawn was, but it is considered to have begun with the sinking of the elven capital beneath the waves and to have ended once humanity had begun to develop languages of their own. During the Dawn, humans were recorded to have been far larger, far stronger, and far more unified, almost terribly so. Dawn humans were reported to speak no language, yet they coordinated on a level not seen even in the disciplined elven armies, and when the humans began to speak this strange coordination ended. Some believe that the ancestors of modern humanity simply communicated with hand signs or magic, while more fringe theorists claim that humanity was being controlled by some other entity, one that had dark intentions for the world. But their is scant evidence to support either theory, and so the history of the Dawn has been relegated to the occasional debate between aspiring academics before the move on to more realistic courses of study.
Last edited by The Multiversal Library on Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:21 am, edited 6 times in total.

The Multiversal Library
Envoy

Postby The Multiversal Library » Wed May 24, 2023 11:03 am

Roster

General Kahlim ahn Wadim ir-Lataam- Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States
General Zyan ahn Halan il-Bairuq- Novovaritsya
Last edited by The Multiversal Library on Sat May 27, 2023 11:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

The Multiversal Library
Envoy

Postby The Multiversal Library » Wed May 24, 2023 11:07 am

Current Situations

The Invasion of Carrinia- the Imperial Legions of Cortaeus IV have seized several towns along the border of Carrinia. King Agustin IV has called for mercenaries to support his armies in this seemingly impossible fight.

The Siege of Arkadis- the fortress-city of Arkadis is currently under siege by the forces of the Suladh Al'eakimat. The city is holding, but for how long?

The Great Migration- barbarian tribes from the Far North are pouring into the Kingdom of Merovia, and threaten to destroy it in their search for a new home.

The Western Wars- the Western Kings fight to be the one to become the second High King in the entirety of Valish history.
Last edited by The Multiversal Library on Wed May 24, 2023 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 20, 2012
Democratic Socialists

Postby Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States » Wed May 24, 2023 2:58 pm

A heavy WiP, I feel that the character concept may be a bit spicy due to interfering in your history too much, just say the word if the idea doesn't stroke with what is in your head. My idea is an elvish exile who converted to the Sun God and hopes to one day free her homeland from occupation, and who has been a loyal friend, ally and mentor to the whole of the il-Par'an dynasty.

Name: General Kahlim ahn Wadim ir-Lataam (birthname: Calaen Vadiem of Leandan)

Bio: How does one describe a life of over eight centuries? Where humans might live eight entire, long lives, Elves only live one, and even then they do not know if they are near their end or if they have millenia more to endure. Knowing where in one's life en Elf currently is, is impossible to say, which leads to them both being among the freest and most anxious of all the races.

Calaen Vadiem was born in Leandan, a medium-sized town in what was then still the independent kingdom of Aemrean. It was by then the last of the Elven Households, standing as a proud beacon of light in an otherwise dark world. The Hearth of Vadiem, the family to which Calaen belonged, had served as barons for generations, meaning they stood in a long tradition of the Elven ways. Where humans could accept that, in one lifetime, they could not become masters in all things, the Elves had no similar restraints. They could possibly become true masters of all arts and crafts in but a tenth of their natural lifespan, and many, like king Maeron, had actually achieved that level of mastery. It was something all Elves were expected to strive towards, and as humanity expanded their fleeting grasp over every continent, it was this ideology that Elves used to set them apart, as well as to defend their homeland.

For part of the life of an Elven noble was to become a warrior most skilled in the art of war. Women were not excempted from this duty, and in fact, it was theorised that this inclusion of fighting women in their ranks was what kept Aemrean alive for longer than its more patriarchal sister-kingdoms. It was no egalitarian haven, though, and while knights and warriors could be women, they would never rise to positions of command. So it was the Calaen was trained by her family in combat, in arts, in medicine, in mathematics, in astrology and astronomy, in theology, in engineering... A hundred years she spent merely learning, being taught, and observing others doing the things that she might one day be doing, performing a dozen tests of skill and mastery that humans might only perform once in their lifetime.

For her first profession, she chose to become an engineer and an architect, traveling to the capital in order to apprentice in the building of temples, villas and governance buildings. This she did for some decades, but things changed when the child Calrody rose to the throne of a united Human Empire. Thus, instead of constructing gardens and houses of worship, Calaen would have to construct fortresses and castles in preparation of a human invasion. And when Calrody indeed crossed their border to subjugate their kingdom, she like all other nobles had to pick up the bow and the sword to resist the invaders.

War is a time unlike any other in Elven society. Being immortal, youthful being by nature, there are very few ways in which an Elf can actually die. Diseases are rare, and the system of monestaries prevent starvation even of the very poorest citizens. So one of the few ways Elves die is on the battlefield. This means all wars are all the more terrible, because not only to people die, but a possibly infinite future of life is ended. All the more reason why all Elves are expected to be able to defend themselves in combat, and hone their skill to the fullest. This, in combination with the superhuman craftsmanship of Elven smiths, is why Elves are such ferocious enemies to combat. Their formations will resist closing with the enemy, firing volley after volley of arrows and slingshot into their opponent, weakening them until the time to strike has arrived. Enemy supply trains are harrased by Elves that sneak deeply behind enemy lines, and by mounted archers who could ride before they could walk.

But there always were more humans than there were Elves, and since Elves naturally abhor war more than blood-thirsty and short-lived humans, eventually the Elven lines were battered down, whole cities of ancient architecture were put to the torch, and eventually, Calrody himself reached the venerable walls of the Aemrean capital and put it to siege, having to defend it both from sallying forces inside its walls as well as outside forces trying to relieve the city. But, in the end, Elves die of hunger all the same as humans, and to spare his people, the wise and ancient king Maeron challenged Calrody to a duel, and lost, devestating his city in the process. The higher nobles then surrendered in exchange for retaining their titles, and the open war was largely over.

Part of the Elven army still remained, however. Two whole field armies, ready to make Calrody pay for every hamlet with the blood of hundreds, stood at the call of Liandriel aen'Tuathal. While many of the forces melted away with their commanders, Liandriel remained. She planned to retreat into the mountains, but could not feasibly lead all loyalists there as they would run out of supplies too fast. Thus, Liandriel and some hand-picked warriors would stay behind in the mountains, while the rest would flee abroad and across the sea, either to sollicit foreign help or to build up what strength they had for return. Calaen, to her dismay, was separated from her lovers, who were hand-picked by Liandriel, and had to watch her old home slowly set beneath the horizon, taking one of the last free ships away.

The Aemrean Diaspora settled far and wide. Some travelled south, others east, and yet others, like Calaen, travelled west, to Merovia and the Western Kingdoms. It was expected that most would put down the sword, especially seeing the Elves' natural disposition against war. But some, like Calaen, had been so hard-hit by the war and the loss of their homeland, and the loss of her lovers, that they for a time sought out war, like how the alcoholic seeks the bottle. As a mercenary band, known as the Royal Tears of Silver, they participated in the Merovian civil wars on the side of those Ducs whose families had died during the Two Suns. In the end, though, after all was done, so much grief followed from such a useless war, that the Elves were deemed unwelcome and again had to leave. The Royal Tears of Silver traveled some more, offering their services here and there, but fighting for short-lived human ambitions made Elves physically ill and eventually, they split up. Calaen, with a few others, served as bodyguards to some High Consul of a Thuronian city, actively participating in politics until some religious zealot used anti-Elvish bigotry to inspire an insurrection. It was a whole mess that actually engulfed the league in a genocidal religious war for two decades, but from the start Calaen saw no use in it, and she left to travel as a wandering engineer, helping every would-be high king in the Western Kingdoms build some fortresses, among which the Broad Towered Citadel of Arkadis.

While leaving north in search of new contracts, her ship was overtaken by Galean pirates (or privateers, who knows) and in the custom of that people, she was sold into slavery for a lucrative price. Elven slaves were valuable, as they were known to be good and wise councillors, and they feared death too much to escape. She was sold on the markets of Armina in the south to a family of merchant-administrators, who kept her on for a great number of generations. She resented her slavery, but in her situation made the best of it, and every master she had subsequently she had held in her arms as a babe, which softened her disposition to them. And, after all, she expected to outlive them all, even outlive the institution of slavery. It would not be the first time that an Elf had been freed because societal norms had shifted against slavery over the course of a few centuries.

That shift, however, came rather abruptly. Armina had joined the Mhomet coalition, and after their armies were soundly defeated there was an enslaved rebellion in Armina that took over control. When Umahr ahn Razid arrived at the gates of Armina, they had raised their own banner, and dared the Emperor to take the city. They would surrender, only of the Emperor would free all enslaved people in his empire. Umahr ahn Razid saw this as a sign from God and gladly accepted, making anti-slavery a part of his religion. In turn, Calaen offered him her services. First as an architect, helping him construct his new capital. However, as the two became closer friends, Umahr learned that Calaen was a competent warrior too, and offered her a position of command. First at the hand of a cavalry detatchment, but her experiences and knowledge of the art of war made her a potent force, and she ascended the ranks to become one of the chief commanders of the emperor's armies. She adopted then the name Kahlim ahn Wadim ir-Lataam and converted, and as a sign of her conversion she made war against the Mayazdi Rhaj.

Over the past centuries, she has been a friend and advisor to the emperors, as well as being an important figure in the arts and sciences. However, she keeps far away from politics, serving loyally the imperial dynasty and their wishes. Again, she has seen every emperor and empress since Umahr as a babe, and has a very strong personal connection to the dynasty, and sees them as her own family. But still, they are no substitute for her homeland. In her head, the conquest of the Western Kingdoms will be her last act as general, before asking the emperor to grant her wish and take the fight to the Calrody Empire. But first, she has a job to do, which will take all her effort and strength to perform.

Strengths:
General of a thousand battles - Kahlim is an extremely experienced battlefield commander; having a few centuries of command under her belt, she has seen almost every tactic, every strategy, every move, and knows how to react accordlingy. Not only that, but she has marched longer than most humans will live, and knows how to manage the logistics of army manouvres to the smallest details.
Universal Elf - Elves strive for cultural perfection. Immortal lives are only well-spent if they are spent in the pursuit of the mastery of all things, and as such they are trained from a young age. Calaen has been trained in various arts and sciences, as many Elves are, which makes her both incredibly knowledgable and incredibly lonely.

Weaknesses:
Homesick - Mortals are slow creatures, and when you think they are beginning to grasp the more nuanced aspects of the world, they vanish. While looking young, Kahlim seeks the company of the elderly, and even they cannot satiate her longing for meaningful company. As such, she longs for home, to be with her own kin again, but since she vowed only to return to a free homeland, she cannot yet return, especially not without the leave of the emperor.
Elven memory - Elves might be immortal, but their memories are not. One cannot hold centuries of experiences in their head and expect to come out sane. As such, she cannot remember every detail from the past eight centuries, but some strong memories, like from her homeland, remain vividly with her, and cause her bad dreams.
Theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a0tH0fkvW8
Last edited by Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States on Thu May 25, 2023 4:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The name's James. James Usari. Well, my name is not actually James Usari, so don't bother actually looking it up, but it'll do for now.
Lack of a real name means compensation through a real face. My debt is settled
Part-time Kebab tycoon in Glasgow.

The Multiversal Library
Envoy

Postby The Multiversal Library » Wed May 24, 2023 3:05 pm

Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States wrote:A heavy WiP, I feel that the character concept may be a bit spicy due to interfering in your history too much, just say the word if the idea doesn't stroke with what is in your head. My idea is an elvish exile who converted to the Sun God and hopes to one day free her homeland from occupation, and who has been a loyal friend, ally and mentor to the whole of the il-Par'an dynasty.

Bio: WiP (A general in the armies of Suladh Al'eakimat)
Strengths: General of a thousand battles - Kahlim is an extremely experienced battlefield commander; having a few centuries of command under her belt, she has seen almost every tactic, every strategy, every move, and knows how to react accordlingy. Not only that, but she has marched longer than most humans will live, and knows how to manage the logistics of army manouvres to the smallest details.
Weaknesses: Homesick - Mortals are slow creatures, and when you think they are beginning to grasp the more nuanced aspects of the world, they vanish. While looking young, Kahlim seeks the company of the elderly, and even they cannot satiate her longing for meaningful company. As such, she longs for home, to be with her own kin again, but since she vowed only to return to a free homeland, she cannot yet return, especially not without the leave of the emperor.

Now this is cool. I had originally planned for Kahlim to just be a reference to Khalid ibn al-Walid, but I like this idea more. Looking forward to the completed app!

Postmaster of the Fleet

Democratic Socialists

Postby Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States » Thu May 25, 2023 4:09 pm

I finished the app!
The name's James. James Usari. Well, my name is not actually James Usari, so don't bother actually looking it up, but it'll do for now.

The Multiversal Library
Envoy

Postby The Multiversal Library » Thu May 25, 2023 4:22 pm

Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States wrote:A heavy WiP, I feel that the character concept may be a bit spicy due to interfering in your history too much, just say the word if the idea doesn't stroke with what is in your head. My idea is an elvish exile who converted to the Sun God and hopes to one day free her homeland from occupation, and who has been a loyal friend, ally and mentor to the whole of the il-Par'an dynasty.

Bio: How does one describe a life of over eight centuries? Where humans might live eight entire, long lives, Elves only live one, and even then they do not know if they are near their end or if they have millenia more to endure. Knowing where in one's life en Elf currently is, is impossible to say, which leads to them both being among the freest and most anxious of all the races.

Calaen Vadiem was born in Leandan, a medium-sized town in what was then still the independent kingdom of Aemrean. It was by then the last of the Elven Households, standing as a proud beacon of light in an otherwise dark world. The Hearth of Vadiem, the family to which Calaen belonged, had served as barons for generations, meaning they stood in a long tradition of the Elven ways. Where humans could accept that, in one lifetime, they could not become masters in all things, the Elves had no similar restraints. They could possibly become true masters of all arts and crafts in but a tenth of their natural lifespan, and many, like king Maeron, had actually achieved that level of mastery. It was something all Elves were expected to strive towards, and as humanity expanded their fleeting grasp over every continent, it was this ideology that Elves used to set them apart, as well as to defend their homeland.

For part of the life of an Elven noble was to become a warrior most skilled in the art of war. Women were not excempted from this duty, and in fact, it was theorised that this inclusion of fighting women in their ranks was what kept Aemrean alive for longer than its more patriarchal sister-kingdoms. It was no egalitarian haven, though, and while knights and warriors could be women, they would never rise to positions of command. So it was the Calaen was trained by her family in combat, in arts, in medicine, in mathematics, in astrology and astronomy, in theology, in engineering... A hundred years she spent merely learning, being taught, and observing others doing the things that she might one day be doing, performing a dozen tests of skill and mastery that humans might only perform once in their lifetime.

For her first profession, she chose to become an engineer and an architect, traveling to the capital in order to apprentice in the building of temples, villas and governance buildings. This she did for some decades, but things changed when the child Calrody rose to the throne of a united Human Empire. Thus, instead of constructing gardens and houses of worship, Calaen would have to construct fortresses and castles in preparation of a human invasion. And when Calrody indeed crossed their border to subjugate their kingdom, she like all other nobles had to pick up the bow and the sword to resist the invaders.

War is a time unlike any other in Elven society. Being immortal, youthful being by nature, there are very few ways in which an Elf can actually die. Diseases are rare, and the system of monestaries prevent starvation even of the very poorest citizens. So one of the few ways Elves die is on the battlefield. This means all wars are all the more terrible, because not only to people die, but a possibly infinite future of life is ended. All the more reason why all Elves are expected to be able to defend themselves in combat, and hone their skill to the fullest. This, in combination with the superhuman craftsmanship of Elven smiths, is why Elves are such ferocious enemies to combat. Their formations will resist closing with the enemy, firing volley after volley of arrows and slingshot into their opponent, weakening them until the time to strike has arrived. Enemy supply trains are harrased by Elves that sneak deeply behind enemy lines, and by mounted archers who could ride before they could walk.

But there always were more humans than there were Elves, and since Elves naturally abhor war more than blood-thirsty and short-lived humans, eventually the Elven lines were battered down, whole cities of ancient architecture were put to the torch, and eventually, Calrody himself reached the venerable walls of the Aemrean capital and put it to siege, having to defend it both from sallying forces inside its walls as well as outside forces trying to relieve the city. But, in the end, Elves die of hunger all the same as humans, and to spare his people, the wise and ancient king Maeron challenged Calrody to a duel, and lost, devestating his city in the process. The higher nobles then surrendered in exchange for retaining their titles, and the open war was largely over.

Part of the Elven army still remained, however. Two whole field armies, ready to make Calrody pay for every hamlet with the blood of hundreds, stood at the call of Liandriel aen'Tuathal. While many of the forces melted away with their commanders, Liandriel remained. She planned to retreat into the mountains, but could not feasibly lead all loyalists there as they would run out of supplies too fast. Thus, Liandriel and some hand-picked warriors would stay behind in the mountains, while the rest would flee abroad and across the sea, either to sollicit foreign help or to build up what strength they had for return. Calaen, to her dismay, was separated from her lovers, who were hand-picked by Liandriel, and had to watch her old home slowly set beneath the horizon, taking one of the last free ships away.

The Aemrean Diaspora settled far and wide. Some travelled south, others east, and yet others, like Calaen, travelled west, to Merovia and the Western Kingdoms. It was expected that most would put down the sword, especially seeing the Elves' natural disposition against war. But some, like Calaen, had been so hard-hit by the war and the loss of their homeland, and the loss of her lovers, that they for a time sought out war, like how the alcoholic seeks the bottle. As a mercenary band, known as the Royal Tears of Silver, they participated in the Merovian civil wars on the side of those Ducs whose families had died during the Two Suns. In the end, though, after all was done, so much grief followed from such a useless war, that the Elves were deemed unwelcome and again had to leave. The Royal Tears of Silver traveled some more, offering their services here and there, but fighting for short-lived human ambitions made Elves physically ill and eventually, they split up. Calaen, with a few others, served as bodyguards to some High Consul of a Thuronian city, actively participating in politics until some religious zealot used anti-Elvish bigotry to inspire an insurrection. It was a whole mess that actually engulfed the league in a genocidal religious war for two decades, but from the start Calaen saw no use in it, and she left to travel as a wandering engineer, helping every would-be high king in the Western Kingdoms build some fortresses, among which the Broad Towered Citadel of Arkadis.

While leaving north in search of new contracts, her ship was overtaken by Galean pirates (or privateers, who knows) and in the custom of that people, she was sold into slavery for a lucrative price. Elven slaves were valuable, as they were known to be good and wise councillors, and they feared death too much to escape. She was sold on the markets of Armina in the south to a family of merchant-administrators, who kept her on for a great number of generations. She resented her slavery, but in her situation made the best of it, and every master she had subsequently she had held in her arms as a babe, which softened her disposition to them. And, after all, she expected to outlive them all, even outlive the institution of slavery. It would not be the first time that an Elf had been freed because societal norms had shifted against slavery over the course of a few centuries.

That shift, however, came rather abruptly. Armina had joined the Mhomet coalition, and after their armies were soundly defeated there was an enslaved rebellion in Armina that took over control. When Umahr ahn Razid arrived at the gates of Armina, they had raised their own banner, and dared the Emperor to take the city. They would surrender, only of the Emperor would free all enslaved people in his empire. Umahr ahn Razid saw this as a sign from God and gladly accepted, making anti-slavery a part of his religion. In turn, Calaen offered him her services. First as an architect, helping him construct his new capital. However, as the two became closer friends, Umahr learned that Calaen was a competent warrior too, and offered her a position of command. First at the hand of a cavalry detatchment, but her experiences and knowledge of the art of war made her a potent force, and she ascended the ranks to become one of the chief commanders of the emperor's armies. She adopted then the name Kahlim ahn Wadim ir-Lataam and converted, and as a sign of her conversion she made war against the Mayazdi Rhaj.

Over the past centuries, she has been a friend and advisor to the emperors, as well as being an important figure in the arts and sciences. However, she keeps far away from politics, serving loyally the imperial dynasty and their wishes. Again, she has seen every emperor and empress since Umahr as a babe, and has a very strong personal connection to the dynasty, and sees them as her own family. But still, they are no substitute for her homeland. In her head, the conquest of the Western Kingdoms will be her last act as general, before asking the emperor to grant her wish and take the fight to the Calrody Empire. But first, she has a job to do, which will take all her effort and strength to perform.

Strengths:
General of a thousand battles - Kahlim is an extremely experienced battlefield commander; having a few centuries of command under her belt, she has seen almost every tactic, every strategy, every move, and knows how to react accordlingy. Not only that, but she has marched longer than most humans will live, and knows how to manage the logistics of army manouvres to the smallest details.
Universal Elf - Elves strive for cultural perfection. Immortal lives are only well-spent if they are spent in the pursuit of the mastery of all things, and as such they are trained from a young age. Calaen has been trained in various arts and sciences, as many Elves are, which makes her both incredibly knowledgable and incredibly lonely.

Weaknesses:
Homesick - Mortals are slow creatures, and when you think they are beginning to grasp the more nuanced aspects of the world, they vanish. While looking young, Kahlim seeks the company of the elderly, and even they cannot satiate her longing for meaningful company. As such, she longs for home, to be with her own kin again, but since she vowed only to return to a free homeland, she cannot yet return, especially not without the leave of the emperor.
Elven memory - Elves might be immortal, but their memories are not. One cannot hold centuries of experiences in their head and expect to come out sane. As such, she cannot remember every detail from the past eight centuries, but some strong memories, like from her homeland, remain vividly with her, and cause her bad dreams.

Accepted!

PHAGE
Bureaucrat

Founded: Sep 11, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby PHAGE » Fri May 26, 2023 12:01 pm

I may put up an app soon
NS stats mostly not cannon, this nation does NOT reflect my views. Mt-Pmt but closer to biotech, this nation RP's all phages factbook W.I.P. weak to: being erased from realty

The MotherPhage rules all, all are phage, we are one, all Hail the MotherPhage. maybe?

Novovaritsya
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 15, 2023
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Novovaritsya » Sat May 27, 2023 10:32 am

Name: Zyan ahn Halan il-Bairuq (General)

Appearance:
Bio:

We were born to die one day. We will face the creator one day. Life is not to be wasted for fun if it was for us to suffer in hell in the afterlife. Well, we've embraced the right way, a way towards heaven. Why do the others not want to do so? What blinded them from the divine light? What caused them to raise their weapon instead of embracing the right way? Well, now I'm here. A human, leading an army to spread the words of truth. Will I live to see us victorious, though? Will I live to see them bow before the right god?

Zyan ahn Halan il-Bairuq was born into a noble family. His father, Halan ahn Harid il-Bairuq, is the chief of the Bairuq tribe, and his elder brother will be the one to inherit the crown. Zyan's father was his best friend. While his elder brother spent most of his time with their mother, Zyan spent most of his time with his father. When Zyan was still a child, Halan told him many interesting tales. One of them is a tale from his grandfather about General Kahlim ahn Wadim ir-Lataam.

The tale inspired Zyan, and soon it will determine his future. Once Zyan reached the age of 8, he began playing with many other children. Halan never wanted to destroy Zyan's childhood by sending guards to protect him. Zyan was always in danger, but thanks to his childlike behavior, many people don't even realize that Zyan was the son of a tribal chief. The same also happened to Zyan's elder brother, Riwad ahn Halan il-Bairuq. The ties between Zyan and his elder brother were strengthened in their childhood, turning them both into one another's best friends. However, their childhood will not last forever.

Halan hired a skilled tutor to teach Riwad, while Halan will teach Zyan himself. Halan taught Zyan everything he knew, including social interactions, martial arts, and religions. Zyan learned many things from his father and began improving his skills. He focused on martial arts the most, wanting to become a military figure like General Kahlim one day. Zyan enjoyed learning about the things his father taught him, but in the end, it always left him with one question: do all of these have to be done the same way as what his father intended? Zyan decided to seek an answer. Sometimes he looks for inspiration in order to find the answer to his question.

One day, when Zyan was 15 years old, he asked his father if he could spend a night outside their castle. Halan allowed Zyan to go, but he must return before midnight. Zyan made his promise. He spent his night wandering in the city. He saw many books being sold in the markets, people interacting with one another, children playing in the street, and a storyteller telling them about many tales that Zyan heard when he was a child. Zyan spent his time in the city and learned many new things. The next day, however, he spent his time outside the city, staring at the stars while trying to find the answer. He met someone that night. A trader, leaving the city for another city. The trader decided to spend his time with Zyan.

They were telling stories and joking with one another. Zyan then used the chance to ask his question, and the trader told him that many things needed to be changed in order to fit well with the year and the situation. The trader answered Zyan's question, leaving Zyan with many inspirations. Sadly, though, they have to go their separate ways, and they are unlikely to meet with one another next time. Once Zyan reached the age of 20, he was moved to the capital city of Suladh Al'eakimat. There, he joined the army of Suladh Al'eakimat and when he reached the age of 26, he was promoted to general (thanks to his noble background). Zyan was later deployed to the West with his army.

Zyan didn't spend his time just moving west; instead, he tried to train his men on how to use the terrain around them and adapt various strategies and formations. Zyan's forces were not as fast as the others in the beginning, but in the end Zyan would win some battles on his own. His forces won against the Syndrian republics every time they encountered the Syndrian forces. One time, however, Zyan was faced by the army of the Lord Protectors. Zyan's forces were flanked and was forced to retreat, but the army led by the Lord Protectors is too small to keep fighting against Zyan's army or to advance, thus retreating towards Arkadis. Zyan decided to hold their ground there as soon as they saw the Lord Protectors left the battlefield towards Arkadis.

He claimed that the result of the battle between him and the Lord Protectors were even, but deep in his heart and mind, he accepted it as his first defeat and decided to find his mistakes during the battle and prepare to embrace newer ideas. He's now waiting for the chance for him to face the Lord Protectors again.

Strengths:
  • Young general | Zyan is one of the young generals serving in the name of Suladh Al'eakimat and his religion. His young heart and his spirit were channeled to his men, keeping their morale high.
  • Silver tongue | Zyan is the son of a nobleman in Suladh Al'eakimat. He learned many things from his father, including how to negotiate with other important figures and give speeches.
  • Duelist | Zyan's father taught him how to wield his scimitar for years, and he once even beat five people alone with his scimitar in a battle.
  • Tactician | Zyan is a young and cunning general. His mind is full of unique plans and the ability to adapt in new ways that could possibly lead his country to victory.

Weaknesses:
  • Young general | Even though being a young general gave him several benefits, it has its own downside: many older generals do not trust Zyan and his revolutionary plans, considering that they thought the old way would work just fine. That is also the reason why Zyan loves to work alone instead of receiving reinforcements from other elder generals.
  • Merciful | Never in his life did he kill his hostage without a clear reason. Zyan can see things from the perspective of his hostages, and thus he knew torturing or killing them would be too much. His action is one of many reasons why the enemy forces know how many soldiers they are fighting against.

Theme: https://youtu.be/53Efo-S6XI0

The Multiversal Library
Envoy

Postby The Multiversal Library » Sat May 27, 2023 11:54 am

Novovaritsya wrote:
Name: Zyan ahn Halan il-Bairuq (General)
Appearance:
Bio:

We were born to die one day. We will face the creator one day. Life is not to be wasted for fun if it was for us to suffer in hell in the afterlife. Well, we've embraced the right way, a way towards heaven. Why do the others not want to do so? What blinded them from the divine light? What caused them to raise their weapon instead of embracing the right way? Well, now I'm here. A human, leading an army to spread the words of truth. Will I live to see us victorious, though? Will I live to see them bow before the right god?

Zyan ahn Halan il-Bairuq was born into a noble family. His father, Halan ahn Harid il-Bairuq, is the chief of the Bairuq tribe, and his elder brother will be the one to inherit the crown. Zyan's father was his best friend. While his elder brother spent most of his time with their mother, Zyan spent most of his time with his father. When Zyan was still a child, Halan told him many interesting tales. One of them is a tale from his grandfather about General Kahlim ahn Wadim ir-Lataam.

The tale inspired Zyan, and soon it will determine his future. Once Zyan reached the age of 8, he began playing with many other children. Halan never wanted to destroy Zyan's childhood by sending guards to protect him. Zyan was always in danger, but thanks to his childlike behavior, many people don't even realize that Zyan was the son of a tribal chief. The same also happened to Zyan's elder brother, Riwad ahn Halan il-Bairuq. The ties between Zyan and his elder brother were strengthened in their childhood, turning them both into one another's best friends. However, their childhood will not last forever.

Halan hired a skilled tutor to teach Riwad, while Halan will teach Zyan himself. Halan taught Zyan everything he knew, including social interactions, martial arts, and religions. Zyan learned many things from his father and began improving his skills. He focused on martial arts the most, wanting to become a military figure like General Kahlim one day. Zyan enjoyed learning about the things his father taught him, but in the end, it always left him with one question: do all of these have to be done the same way as what his father intended? Zyan decided to seek an answer. Sometimes he looks for inspiration in order to find the answer to his question.

One day, when Zyan was 15 years old, he asked his father if he could spend a night outside their castle. Halan allowed Zyan to go, but he must return before midnight. Zyan made his promise. He spent his night wandering in the city. He saw many books being sold in the markets, people interacting with one another, children playing in the street, and a storyteller telling them about many tales that Zyan heard when he was a child. Zyan spent his time in the city and learned many new things. The next day, however, he spent his time outside the city, staring at the stars while trying to find the answer. He met someone that night. A trader, leaving the city for another city. The trader decided to spend his time with Zyan.

They were telling stories and joking with one another. Zyan then used the chance to ask his question, and the trader told him that many things needed to be changed in order to fit well with the year and the situation. The trader answered Zyan's question, leaving Zyan with many inspirations. Sadly, though, they have to go their separate ways, and they are unlikely to meet with one another next time. Once Zyan reached the age of 20, he was moved to the capital city of Suladh Al'eakimat. There, he joined the army of Suladh Al'eakimat and when he reached the age of 26, he was promoted to general (thanks to his noble background). Zyan was later deployed to the West with his army.

Zyan didn't spend his time just moving west; instead, he tried to train his men on how to use the terrain around them and adapt various strategies and formations. Zyan's forces were not as fast as the others in the beginning, but in the end Zyan would win some battles on his own. His forces won against the Syndrian republics every time they encountered the Syndrian forces. One time, however, Zyan was faced by the army of the Lord Protectors. Zyan's forces were flanked and was forced to retreat, but the army led by the Lord Protectors is too small to keep fighting against Zyan's army or to advance, thus retreating towards Arkadis. Zyan decided to hold their ground there as soon as they saw the Lord Protectors left the battlefield towards Arkadis.

He claimed that the result of the battle between him and the Lord Protectors were even, but deep in his heart and mind, he accepted it as his first defeat and decided to find his mistakes during the battle and prepare to embrace newer ideas. He's now waiting for the chance for him to face the Lord Protectors again.

Strengths:
  • Young general | Zyan is one of the young generals serving in the name of Suladh Al'eakimat and his religion. His young heart and his spirit were channeled to his men, keeping their morale high.
  • Silver tongue | Zyan is the son of a nobleman in Suladh Al'eakimat. He learned many things from his father, including how to negotiate with other important figures and give speeches.
  • Duelist | Zyan's father taught him how to wield his scimitar for years, and he once even beat five people alone with his scimitar in a battle.
  • Tactician | Zyan is a young and cunning general. His mind is full of unique plans and the ability to adapt in new ways that could possibly lead his country to victory.

Weaknesses:
  • Young general | Even though being a young general gave him several benefits, it has its own downside: many older generals do not trust Zyan and his revolutionary plans, considering that they thought the old way would work just fine. That is also the reason why Zyan loves to work alone instead of receiving reinforcements from other elder generals.
  • Merciful | Never in his life did he kill his hostage without a clear reason. Zyan can see things from the perspective of his hostages, and thus he knew torturing or killing them would be too much. His action is one of many reasons why the enemy forces know how many soldiers they are fighting against.

Theme: https://youtu.be/53Efo-S6XI0

Accepted!

The Multiversal Library
Envoy

Postby The Multiversal Library » Sat May 27, 2023 12:21 pm

I'll get started on the IC once we get another player or two.

Postmaster of the Fleet

Democratic Socialists

Postby Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States » Sat May 27, 2023 1:54 pm

What would the relationship between Zyan and Kahlim be? I imagine that they would have worked together in the past, and currently still.

Novovaritsya
Spokesperson

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Novovaritsya » Sun May 28, 2023 2:11 am

Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States wrote:What would the relationship between Zyan and Kahlim be? I imagine that they would have worked together in the past, and currently still.

Well, Zyan's forces were left behind due to his moving exercise program, so I think for now they only heard each other's names but haven't actually met each other yet. So, I think they will know each other and work together for the first time during the Siege of Arkadis.

Postmaster of the Fleet

Democratic Socialists

Postby Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States » Sun May 28, 2023 2:30 am

Novovaritsya wrote:
Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States wrote:What would the relationship between Zyan and Kahlim be? I imagine that they would have worked together in the past, and currently still.

Well, Zyan's forces were left behind due to his moving exercise program, so I think for now they only heard each other's names but haven't actually met each other yet. So, I think they will know each other and work together for the first time during the Siege of Arkadis.

But didn't he engage the Syndrians?

In any case, Zyan will probably have heard of Kahlim, albeit because she has been commanding for over a hundred years now.

Novovaritsya
Spokesperson

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Novovaritsya » Sun May 28, 2023 6:36 am

Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States wrote:
Novovaritsya wrote:Well, Zyan's forces were left behind due to his moving exercise program, so I think for now they only heard each other's names but haven't actually met each other yet. So, I think they will know each other and work together for the first time during the Siege of Arkadis.

But didn't he engage the Syndrians?

In any case, Zyan will probably have heard of Kahlim, albeit because she has been commanding for over a hundred years now.

Fair enough

Nea Videssos
Minister

Founded: May 01, 2016
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nea Videssos » Sun May 28, 2023 8:27 am

Just curious, what's the deal with the snakemen? Are they a bit like the Ayleids or Snow Elves in TES? Are they entirely wiped out?
Formerly Videssos. Just a femboy-obsessed degenerate. Also interested in history, mythology, fantasy, science fiction, metal and some other stuff.
A little bird told me, "Go, Go! Socialise! Talk to those fine people! And then, KILL EVERY LAST ONE OF THEM! Plunge your knife into their throats when they ain't lookin', and then burn 'em to the ground!"
Well that's silly, isn't it?

The Multiversal Library
Envoy

Postby The Multiversal Library » Sun May 28, 2023 9:41 am

Nea Videssos wrote:Just curious, what's the deal with the snakemen? Are they a bit like the Ayleids or Snow Elves in TES? Are they entirely wiped out?

I'd say they're pretty much in the same situation as the Snow Elves; while there may be one or two of them left alive in hiding somewhere (due to their near-endless lifespan), as a species they're done for.

The Multiversal Library
Envoy

Postby The Multiversal Library » Tue May 30, 2023 10:12 am

bump

Sarolandia
Diplomat

Founded: May 20, 2022
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Sarolandia » Tue May 30, 2023 11:37 am

Am I allowed to do a non human character? because if so I'll make an app.
(Definitely) Weekly Revelation: Pokemon Sun and Moon are now 8 years old now. Feel old yet?
"How's this for your headline? 'French Fries'." -(Allegedly) James Donald French, before his execution via electric chair.
Anti-Ripple Effect.

Nea Videssos
Minister

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nea Videssos » Tue May 30, 2023 11:44 am

The Multiversal Library wrote:
Nea Videssos wrote:Just curious, what's the deal with the snakemen? Are they a bit like the Ayleids or Snow Elves in TES? Are they entirely wiped out?

I'd say they're pretty much in the same situation as the Snow Elves; while there may be one or two of them left alive in hiding somewhere (due to their near-endless lifespan), as a species they're done for.

Was just asking since I had a vague idea regarding a secretive snakeman mage, possibly hiding away somewhere with a cult of some sort. That or a human mage that had a bit of an obsession with the remnants of the snakemen, among other ideas. Are they like nagas or something? I'm guessing some blend of human and snake, though there's not much to go on in the OP regarding their appearance, culture, etc.
Formerly Videssos. Just a femboy-obsessed degenerate. Also interested in history, mythology, fantasy, science fiction, metal and some other stuff.
A little bird told me, "Go, Go! Socialise! Talk to those fine people! And then, KILL EVERY LAST ONE OF THEM! Plunge your knife into their throats when they ain't lookin', and then burn 'em to the ground!"

The Multiversal Library
Envoy

Postby The Multiversal Library » Tue May 30, 2023 11:54 am

Sarolandia wrote:Am I allowed to do a non human character? because if so I'll make an app.

Yep, someone's already made an elven character so non-humans are allowed.

Nea Videssos wrote:
The Multiversal Library wrote:I'd say they're pretty much in the same situation as the Snow Elves; while there may be one or two of them left alive in hiding somewhere (due to their near-endless lifespan), as a species they're done for.

Was just asking since I had a vague idea regarding a secretive snakeman mage, possibly hiding away somewhere with a cult of some sort. That or a human mage that had a bit of an obsession with the remnants of the snakemen, among other ideas. Are they like nagas or something? I'm guessing some blend of human and snake, though there's not much to go on in the OP regarding their appearance, culture, etc.

The snakemen are basically nagas, yes.

Nea Videssos
Minister

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nea Videssos » Tue May 30, 2023 12:35 pm

The Multiversal Library wrote:
Sarolandia wrote:Am I allowed to do a non human character? because if so I'll make an app.

Yep, someone's already made an elven character so non-humans are allowed.

Nea Videssos wrote:

Okay. Is there anything already in lore regarding their culture/society, beliefs, names, etc? All I know so far is that they were apparently advanced, long-lived and magically talented, and that they engaged in slavery and somehow got virtually wiped out after a large-scale revolt among human slaves.

The Multiversal Library
Envoy

Postby The Multiversal Library » Tue May 30, 2023 12:46 pm

Nea Videssos wrote:
The Multiversal Library wrote:Yep, someone's already made an elven character so non-humans are allowed.

Okay. Is there anything already in lore regarding their culture/society, beliefs, names, etc? All I know so far is that they were apparently advanced, long-lived and magically talented, and that they engaged in slavery and somehow got virtually wiped out after a large-scale revolt among human slaves.

In regards to the lore, no one really knows anything about the snakemen as following the rebellion a concentrated effort was made to erase the snakemen's culture. However, OOC I will say that their culture was based completely around technological advancement, with the elite being composed completely of academics and mages. Magic was viewed as the ultimate expression of mastery over nature, so much so that the snakemen would often breed with magically talented humans to increase the power of their offspring. The snakemen worshipped no gods, as much like TES' Dwemer they did not believe in anything that could not be proven and believed themselves closer to gods anyway. The snakemen's civilization reached affectively the Industrial Age before being wiped out, and snakeman names were effectively fancy job descriptions, though the collection of names via being promoted was considered prestigious. For example, a snakeman who oversaw the slaves in a city would be name Watcher of the Metropolitan Serviles, and if he was promoted to oversee the slaves of an entire region, he would be called First Watcher of the Regional Servile Populace Once Watcher of the Metropolitan Serviles.

The Multiversal Library
Envoy

Postby The Multiversal Library » Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:06 am

bump number two

The Multiversal Library
Envoy

Postby The Multiversal Library » Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:21 pm

I'll have the IC up sometime over the weekend.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse