NATION

PASSWORD

Sanders: Trump Bank Law Caused Silicon Valley Bank Failure

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Eden Ultima
Bureaucrat

Founded: Feb 27, 2023
Ex-Nation

Sanders: Trump Bank Law Caused Silicon Valley Bank Failure

Postby Eden Ultima » Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:44 am

Sen. Bernie Sanders has blamed a Trump-era banking law for the Silicon Valley Bank's failure.

"Let's be clear. The failure of Silicon Valley Bank is a direct result of an absurd 2018 bank deregulation bill signed by Donald Trump that I strongly opposed," Sanders wrote in a statement on Sunday.

Sanders was referring to the Economic Growth, Regulatory Relief, and Consumer Protection Act, which former President Donald Trump signed into law in May 2018.

What is your opinion? O NSers ? Did it lead up to the failures of the two banks?

Read here to find out more:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets ... 3fb1&ei=27
Last edited by Farnhamia on Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited title to make it fit

Stylan
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 01, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Stylan » Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:31 pm

"the di"
what
[align=center]Christian.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:47 pm

Stylan wrote:"the di"
what

One might read the OP. It's not long.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Xind
Bureaucrat

Founded: May 09, 2022
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Xind » Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:59 pm

No this the result of U.S not applying the Basel Accords to "smaller" banks with only hundreds of billions of assets as opposed to larger banks with trillions in assets. That practice predates Trump. It was George H.W Bush who started with it during Basel I his son that continued it in Basel II , and Biden that maintained it in Basel III . Well that the fact the Silicon Valley bank didn't have risk management officer for like eight months.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:00 pm

Took the guardrails down, bank fell. Adds up.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

American Legionaries
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 03, 2021
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby American Legionaries » Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:31 pm

Eden Ultima wrote:Sen. Bernie Sanders has blamed a Trump-era banking law for the Silicon Valley Bank's failure.

"Let's be clear. The failure of Silicon Valley Bank is a direct result of an absurd 2018 bank deregulation bill signed by Donald Trump that I strongly opposed," Sanders wrote in a statement on Sunday.

Sanders was referring to the Economic Growth, Regulatory Relief, and Consumer Protection Act, which former President Donald Trump signed into law in May 2018.

What is your opinion? O NSers ? Did it lead up to the failures of the two banks?

I find it a bit counterintuitive that Sanders says we shouldn't have banks that are "too big to fail" and then blames the removal of SVB from the "too big to fail" list for their collapse.

Delvian States
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 03, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Delvian States » Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:54 pm

American Legionaries wrote:
Eden Ultima wrote:Sen. Bernie Sanders has blamed a Trump-era banking law for the Silicon Valley Bank's failure.

I find it a bit counterintuitive that Sanders says we shouldn't have banks that are "too big to fail" and then blames the removal of SVB from the "too big to fail" list for their collapse.

I think that it's more that he wants strong bank regulations and every move that the GOP has made, and some that the Democrats have made, in the past, has been to undercut wise, long-established, banking regulations. I still want to bring back Glass-Steagall, but maybe that's just me.
Distributist, pagan, history buff, civil libertarian, mostly republican, but willing to accept some monarchy as well being a big King Charles III stan. You've been warned. I'm also very skeptical and critical of Fourth Wave feminism.
Delvian States is a confederal monarchy with autonomous principalities that often have their own laws. NS Policies aren't entirely reliable canon for that reason at least.
"Reflect, if you will, how you are to govern a people who think that they ought to be free and think that they are not. Your scheme yields no revenue. It yields nothing but discontent, disorder, and disobedience. And such is the state of America, that after wading up to your eyes in blood, you can only end just where you began....." - Edmund Burke

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011

Postby Bombadil » Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:54 pm

The problem is that economics can be twisted and turned to anyone's ideology, some will say better guardrails will create more stability, some will say any restrictions constrain the free market..

"The inscrutability [of economics] is perhaps not unintentional. It gives endless employment to dialecticians who otherwise might become public charges or, at very worst, swindlers and tricksters."

I think the banking community should be responsible for bailing out banks, maybe that would make them a little more cautious as a whole, if the public is constantly bailing then there's little accountability.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

The Lone Alliance
Powerbroker

Founded: May 25, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Lone Alliance » Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:05 pm

How Bernie has fallen where he's blaming Government for the failures of Banks.
"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger." -Herman Goering
--------------
War is cruelty, and you cannot refine it; -William Tecumseh Sherman

Mayhem Era Anglo-America
Bureaucrat

Founded: Nov 01, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Mayhem Era Anglo-America » Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:27 pm

The Lone Alliance wrote:How Bernie has fallen where he's blaming Government for the failures of Banks.

Well, government policy is largely dictated by the banks, so he can blame them for being good lackeys of their donors.
A post-apocalyptic Anglophone empire ruled by a single dictator committed to a sort of benevolent paternalism mixed with militant patriarchy. Basically, a kind of dystopia to post-modern feminists.
To condemn politicians and clergy while praising their financial overlords is more than a little naïve. It is the banker, the lawyer, the religious authority, and the robber baron, regardless of religion, race, creed, ethnicity, gender, or sexual orientation, who is mostly in control of society and the State. The ultimate fault isn't the lackey's, other than for being a lackey. It is the boss's.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity

Postby The Black Forrest » Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:41 pm

Mayhem Era Anglo-America wrote:
The Lone Alliance wrote:How Bernie has fallen where he's blaming Government for the failures of Banks.

Well, government policy is largely dictated by the banks, so he can blame them for being good lackeys of their donors.

Exactly. When you deregulate heavily; it allows large banks (which SVB was) to do shady shit or ignore signs of pending problems knowing they are too big to fail and the government will step in and bail them out.

Even back in the days of stock backdating. I remember the two founders of a company of the time were caught doing that and when asked why they did it? “There were no rules saying we couldn’t”. Never mind the fact I remember a week or two before; one founder was bitching about too many regulations in the country. It stifles business blah blah blah.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Xind
Bureaucrat

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Xind » Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:02 pm

So on a related note UBS has agreed to buy Credit Suisse for three billion and take five billion losses. The deal is expected to go through by the end of the year.

"Provided markets don’t sniff out other lingering problems, I’d think this should be pretty positive," said Brian Jacobsen, senior investment strategist at Allspring Global Investments.

Excuse me do you know which bank do you think you are talking about? Credit Suisse have been involved in dozens scandals it the reason they doing so badly. Well only one scandal Greensill is the reason they are hemorrhaging money. They can launder money for criminals , help their client dodge taxes ,and fuck over Mozambique ,but selling the vaporware bullshit Greensill was to wealthy clients as a risk free investment cost them. I bet more illegal stuff will be uncovered during due diligence.
Last edited by Xind on Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tangatarehua
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 22, 2021
Mother Knows Best State

Postby Tangatarehua » Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:13 pm

Once again, Bernie Sanders reveals his utter ignorance of economics. As honourable a man as he may be, this is why I could never support him if I was American.

The bank failures were caused by banks with extremely frail financial structures built assuming a low interest rate environment being unable to cope with interest rates returning to a more historically usual level. Economists warned for years that this would happen and that the post-GFC low interest rates would not last forever and were contributing to financial bubbles which would inevitably burst, taking out the weaker banks first.

And that's exactly what happened.
The Empire of Tangatarehua/Te Rangatiratanga o Tangatarehua
Factbook | Constitution | History | Embassies | You know you're from Tangatarehua when... | Q&A | Tangatarehua: All Endings | Faces of Tangatarehua

18 March 2024
News: Popular author Ariki Rawhiti Rakau dies aged 58 | Conservative MP says children should be banned from purchasing alcohol | Unemployment rises while interest rates continue to climb | Weather: Tamaki  ☁ 24°C | Whakaara ☀ 16°C | Wharekorana ☀ 17°C | Kaiika ☁ϟ☁ 28°C | Kotiropai ☂⛆ 21°C | Rakipa ☀ 27°C |  Kaitohura ☀ 18°C

NS stats should be taken with a grain of salt completely ignored. Please consult factbooks instead.

ImperialRussia
Ambassador

Founded: May 16, 2019
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby ImperialRussia » Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:17 pm

Presidents should financially support banks financially
Last edited by ImperialRussia on Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xind
Bureaucrat

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Xind » Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:25 pm

Tangatarehua wrote:Once again, Bernie Sanders reveals his utter ignorance of economics. As honourable a man as he may be, this is why I could never support him if I was American.

The bank failures were caused by banks with extremely frail financial structures built assuming a low interest rate environment being unable to cope with interest rates returning to a more historically usual level. Economists warned for years that this would happen and that the post-GFC low interest rates would not last forever and were contributing to financial bubbles which would inevitably burst, taking out the weaker banks first.

And that's exactly what happened.

It would have happened earlier if it wasn't for covid. The Fed began raising interest rates in 2016 but cut them to practically zero for 2020-2022.

Kerwa
Minister

Founded: Jul 24, 2021
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Kerwa » Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:36 pm

Credit Suisse failed too. And SVB would be in the same situation regardless. Banks are going to fail, it’s how they are resolved is important. I understand some people are upset about protecting rich depositors, but otherwise there’d be chaos; bank runs and such. Anyway a lot of those accounts over the insurance limit were for business and such so involved thing like payrolls etc. so it’s not just “bailing out the rich”.

SVB’s owners and bond holders did get fucked however, and that’s the main thing really. I also liked Biden’s idea about introducing clawbacks and lifetime bans for executives going forward. Sadly I doubt anything will happen in that regard.

Alcala-Cordel
Senator

Founded: Dec 16, 2019

Postby Alcala-Cordel » Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:55 pm

The law probably played some part in the bank's fall, but capitalism is what destroyed it. Under a capitalist structure, companies are incentivized to cut as many corners as they possibly can to make as much money as possible. They're also entirely willing to lobby and elect politicians who support their interests. It's almost impossible to get elected to most government positions without significant corporate support, and giving in to special interests for money usually isn't considered corruption.

Economics is complex, but also manmade. Things like the interest rate are difficult to control when so many people are involved, but they're not forces of nature. It still really sucks that we live under such an abstract, unnatural system.
Last edited by Alcala-Cordel on Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
FROM THE RIVER TO THE SEA

Emotional Support Crocodile
Senator

Founded: Jun 06, 2022
New York Times Democracy

Postby Emotional Support Crocodile » Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:51 am

You can't trust ratings agencies.
Just another surprising item on the bagging scale of life

Only 10 minutes to save the West... but I could murder a pint

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality can feel like oppression

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:55 am

Emotional Support Crocodile wrote:You can't trust ratings agencies.

That's the lesson of the 2008 crash. The raters clearly misunderstood the risk, and rated the bonds accordingly. They are the ones who got off Scott free

As to sanders, it was a bipartisan effort to lower the requirements on regional banks.

Furthermore the depositors shouldn't be getting bailed out.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Theodores Tomfooleries
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 26, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Theodores Tomfooleries » Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:29 pm

Hi guys. Sorry to say, it was actually me. I'm very clumsy and will occasionally crash multi-billion dollar banks by accident.
"Proletarians of the World, Unite! You Have Nothing to Lose but Your Chains!"

• Lover of Lenin, Charles Marcus and Men™ • Left-Leninist • Mentally unstable Queer
she/he/they

I write on iiWiki @here

Alcala-Cordel
Senator

Founded: Dec 16, 2019

Postby Alcala-Cordel » Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:32 am

Army of lobbyists helped water down banking regulations
The effort to deregulate banks was bipartisan, which isn't too shocking imo. Democrats Jon Tester, Joe Donnelly, and Heidi Heitkamp were all involved in the process and received hundreds of thousands of dollars in turn. 17 Senate Democrats voted for the bill, and none of them seem too eager to take any responsibility for it now that SVB crashed. Of course, the primary source of all this trouble is the lobby. While the omnipresent practice of giving in to corporate influence technically isn't corruption, I view it as such.
FROM THE RIVER TO THE SEA

Kerwa
Minister

Founded: Jul 24, 2021
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Kerwa » Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:16 am

Ethel mermania wrote:
Emotional Support Crocodile wrote:You can't trust ratings agencies.

That's the lesson of the 2008 crash. The raters clearly misunderstood the risk, and rated the bonds accordingly. They are the ones who got off Scott free

As to sanders, it was a bipartisan effort to lower the requirements on regional banks.

They didn’t misunderstand the risk. That’s the real lesson. They just lied.

The depositor question is tricky because of the collateral damage: i.e. the local supermarket going bust. On the other hand, judging by the price of SVB bonds there is no bailout for depositors in the case as there are adequate assets to cover them.

A general guarantee of depositors under the current system however will have hilarious and unintended consequences.

HISPIDA
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 21, 2021
Anarchy

Postby HISPIDA » Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:02 am

Theodores Tomfooleries wrote:Hi guys. Sorry to say, it was actually me. I'm very clumsy and will occasionally crash multi-billion dollar banks by accident.

its ok we forgive u <3
Algerstonia did nothing wrong. Hold Moderators accountable. (she/they)
"We have liberated Europe from fascism, and they will never forgive us for it." - Georgy Zhukov (purportedly)
read my iiwiki
free palestine. trans rights are human rights. no war but class war
Victory Day: February 23, 2022

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:17 am

Kerwa wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:

They didn’t misunderstand the risk. That’s the real lesson. They just lied.

The depositor question is tricky because of the collateral damage: i.e. the local supermarket going bust. On the other hand, judging by the price of SVB bonds there is no bailout for depositors in the case as there are adequate assets to cover them.

A general guarantee of depositors under the current system however will have hilarious and unintended consequences.

Agreed.

As it shakes out The depositors would get a decent portion of their money back, but certainly not in time for that supermarket to make a couple payroll checks.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

The Two Jerseys
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 07, 2012
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Two Jerseys » Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:54 am

Theodores Tomfooleries wrote:Hi guys. Sorry to say, it was actually me. I'm very clumsy and will occasionally crash multi-billion dollar banks by accident.

Sir, I'm going to have to give you a sobriety test...
"The Duke of Texas" is too formal for regular use. Just call me "Your Grace".
"If I would like to watch goodness, sanity, God and logic being fucked I would watch Japanese porn." -Nightkill the Emperor
"This thread makes me wish I was a moron so that I wouldn't have to comprehend how stupid the topic is." -The Empire of Pretantia
Head of State: HM King Louis
Head of Government: The Rt. Hon. James O'Dell MP, Prime Minister
Ambassador to the World Assembly: HE Sir John Ross "J.R." Ewing II, Bt.
Join Excalibur Squadron. We're Commandos who fly Spitfires. Chicks dig Commandos who fly Spitfires.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General