NATION

PASSWORD

The President and the Princess (Closed)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Sombreland
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 22, 2022
Iron Fist Consumerists

The President and the Princess (Closed)

Postby Sombreland » Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:34 pm

Galador, Sombreland

The Chancellor of Sombreland, Grand Duke Pofolman, sat in a comfortably cushioned wicker chair, his eyes closed, mouth slightly opened, a book folded over his belly and clasped in wrinkled hands as he listened to the sounds of a tenor floating over the air. He sat in his garden, which was all full of daffodils, hearts-ease and flocks, meadow sweet and lilies, stocks, gentle lupins and tall hollyhocks, roses, fox-gloves, snowdrops, forget-me-knots, grew in his garden, many of which had been imported from Europe, where he had visited several times when he was younger, admiring the landscape and the gardens. Dragonflies, moths and bees, spiders falling from the trees,butterflies sway in the mild gentle breeze. Hedgehogs roamed here and there. Babbling, coo-cooing doves, robins and the warbling thrush, blue birds, lark, finch and nightingale fluttered and twittered around, their birdsong in counter-harmony to the sound of the tenor and the orchestra accompanying.

A servant, at the gate to the garden, was bowing to three men who had arrived, and gesturing to where the Chancellor was napping. Another, an old man dressed in white, with a weathered sun browned face and grey hair, yet still far younger than the Chancellor, ran to him and fanned the air around his face, tapped his hands until the old man woke and looked baffled, unaware of where he was at first. "The ball.." he began, blinking.

"No, Excellency," said the servant soothingly, offering him a drink of tea. The old man held the saucer in trembling hands and raised the cup to his lips.

The tea seemed to refresh him, and the servant was whispering, "The Minister of the Left, the Master of Rituals, and the Director of the Treasury,"

The three men approached and bowed to him politely. "Were you napping, sir?" asked Prince Shaladew Kadav, the Minister of the Left and Minister of Death.

"I was just closing my eyes a moment," said the Chancellor. "You are here about the question of the...mining? The uranium?"

"That is precisely it," said the Director of the Treasury. "And there is this matter of whether the mining in the Shava Region will take place or not."

"The visit that has been planned with President Mosley may help, sir," said Prince Shaladew Kadav, the Minister of the Left and Minister of Death, "There are several things the visit must accomplish: to soothe concerns about how we are handling the refugee crisis, the upholding of the Treaty of Galador, dealing with our security concerns, planning for the war games, the ICON budget...but above all, we must have good bilateral relations with nations in the region that will be a cushion for us. The more good trade relations and diplomatic relations, the less likely there is to be an unpleasant confrontation."

The Chancellor was now fully alert, fully reminded, but still very tired. He nodded and said, "I can see no reason, at this time, to do anything other than proceed. Let President Mosley come, and let this be clear: if the Council decides to make exploitation of the uranium possible, Europe shall have first bid. The Princess-Regent has made it clear that our recommendations will be followed. Let it also be made very, very clear: the Regency will not act without a decision from the Council on whether or not the area can be exploited."

"Even if it can be, should it be, is the next question," said the Master of Rituals gravely.

"What do you mean?" the Chancellor growled.

"Chancellor, the Thonists are generally satisfied that the Wenchuanese will be purged, though there is already some agitation about how long transport of them is taking. But they may feel that the purging is to appease them rather than a solution adopted by the government for other reasons. The Shava Region being mined is already being talked about. It may provoke them, to hear that a region sacred to ancestors and sacred spirits might be mined and polluted."

The Chancellor sighed. "How do we anticipate the President's visit will go?"

"We hope it will not be damaging, but there is a belief among some Thonist leaders that the Regency is already too influenced by foreign governments," replied Prince Shaladew Kadav, Minister of the Left and Minister of Death.

"Then this visit may stand as a test of that," said the Chancellor. "But I would like to ask that you make all preparations in case things do get out of hand. Master: please advise the Minister of Divinity: the Director of Laws should start making lists. Prince: the Director of Military Affairs should have forces standing by in addition to the planned security for the events just in case."

And now, dear ancestors, let me sleep.. to his great relief, they bowed and left.
Last edited by Sombreland on Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Europe a Nation
Envoy

Founded: Mar 20, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Europe a Nation » Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:11 pm

London, Europe a Nation

President Mosley watched London from balcony of the presidential palace as a storm rolled in. The sky was dark and ominous, but he felt positive that it would pass quickly. It wasn't often that the weather had anything to do with his day-to-day life as president. But after the last few months, he'd learned not to discount any possibility. Silence before the storm...

He turned back to his desk, staring at the documents spread across its surface. He had tried many times to get through them all, but they were so numerous that he found himself constantly distracted by new information that came in. The topic was uranium mining in Sombreland, an allied nation. It's government recently stated that the land has some kind of religious importance and mining would pollute the area. But apparently the government of Sombreland is still considering it as an option because President Mosley himself was invited to visit Sombreland and meet with Princess-Regent to address the issue in person.

It seemed odd to him. Uranium is one of the most valuable resources on earth. Why would anyone want to stop someone from extracting it? And why would they consider it sacred land? If there was something mystical about the place, then surely it was worth protecting but uranium could be mined safely without disturbing the environment or the local. So what purpose did the trip serve? Still, there was so much work to be done. He frowned, worrying over all the problems that lay before him. He needed to make sure that the right people were doing the jobs that they should. He also wanted to ensure that he was making decisions for the best interests of the Commonwealth of Europe a Nation. But with all of the distractions that he faced, he couldn't help but feel overwhelmed.

His eyes fell upon the empty chair beside him. Prime Minister Karlsson should arrive soon. He'd been away on business for quite some time now, and this particular meeting had been planned for weeks. Mosley knew that Karlsson would be able to provide him with some business advice but on the other hand he was aware of his ruthless behaviour and very blunt diplomacy. Karlsson was a businessman after all. Maybe he didn't understand how politics worked but more importantly he understood how to win.

Mosley sighed, placing his hands on his desk. If only he could find a way to deal with problems without having to use coercion. Uranium was absolutely crucial for European economic development. The economic growth didn't match expectation this year and this year's prospects were even worse. The post civil war crisis was real and even support of corporations failed to avoid it.

The door to the office opened and the prime minister walked into the room. "Good morning, sir."

"Good morning," replied Mosley.

Karlsson closed the door behind him and took a seat. "I'm sorry I can't stay longer. I have an important meeting scheduled later today. You know what they say; 'If you want something done right, do it yourself'. Or something like that. Anyway, the point is, I haven't met with you in a while and we need to discuss your current situation."

Mosley nodded. "Yes, I understand. There are a lot of things we need to discuss."

"Then let's get started," said Karlsson. "First off, I hear that you're planning to go to Sombreland to negotiate with their princess. That's great news. Finally, some progress on this matter. What made you change your mind?"

Mosley smiled. "Several things. One, when I spoke to ambassador, he gave me the impression that the Princess-Regent is actually interested in talking to us instead of just cutting the deal off. Two, the economy is in bad shape. We need every available resource we can get, especially when Nifon is interested in those resources as well. We need better position to achieve common ground with Nifon. Three, I've heard rumours that the area is very beautiful, and I wouldn't mind seeing it myself. So that's it... I think that I need to see the issue for myself. I need to speak with the Princess-Regent. I want to learn more about her motives and her position on the issue. She may just be trying to manipulate me, but at least I can judge for myself if that's true or not."

Karlsson nodded and smiled. "That makes sense... Well the Sombreland government seems to be rather poor in terms of leadership. Of course, that could simply be my perception. I don't know everything that goes on inside the palace."

Mosley raised an eyebrow. "Really? Then what exactly do you know about the Princess-Regent?"

The prime minister chuckled. "Well, I know that she has a reputation for having a temper, but I've also heard that she's a highly intelligent woman. I suppose intelligence is a trait that shouldn't be underestimated. On the other hand what should be exploited is her inexperience. It's clear that she wants to be seen as a powerful ruler and that she desires recognition, but she doesn't have the experience. So, perhaps it would be wise to take advantage of her desire to be recognised as a leader."

"I agree," said Mosley. "When I spoke to Augusto, I found out that she was in fact quite young. At the age of 20, she's facing the burden of leadership... So, as you said, she's still very inexperienced, but she's already been through a lot in a short period of time, remember the crisis with Nifon? I think that, given the right motivation, she might be willing to listen to reason."

"I'm glad that you're finally taking this seriously," said Karlsson. "But I have another question: Why did you decide to support her request? In the past, you haven't really shown much interest in foreign affairs."

Mosley shrugged. "There's no point in denying it. I was reluctant at first, but she gave me some very good reasons to reconsider. For starters, her position seems to be rather weak, so she needs allies to help her rule. Secondly, she appears to be strong-willed, and she's clearly determined to fight for what she believes is right. I believe that she will be a good ally, and I can't think of better conditions under which to build a relationship."

"And, thirdly," continued Mosley, "There is still Empire of Greater Nifon carefully observing situation in Sombreland. As you said, the Kingdom of Sombreland is in weak and vulnerable position. We have the opportunity to strengthen our alliance and become close partners. I want to build ties with the Sombreland royal family because it's a smart move for both countries."

"Very well," said Karlsson. "Now, I have one last question, and then I'll leave you alone to work. Do you truly believe that Sombreland will agree... just like that?"

"I hope so," said Mosley. "I'm confident that the princess will give me a positive answer. She knows that she needs the support of her allies, after all."

"You seem to have a very optimistic outlook, Mr. President," said the Prime Minister. "But why do you think that this time things will turn out differently?"

Mosley shrugged. "It's hard to say. But I have faith in her. After all, she has a good heart."

"I see," said Karlsson. He stood up from his chair and turned around to face Mosley. "But let me remind you there are always easier ways to achieve our goals especially when facing good-hearted people.Remember, they're the ones who need to cooperate with us. They're the ones who need to make concessions. If they're unwilling to do so, we have many options available to us."

"Of course," said Mosley. "But I prefer to avoid conflict in our alliance..." he sighed "Look Karlsson, I know that in business is really straightforward when it comes to achieving goals by threats but let's wait for the result of negotiations before we even consider using coercion."

The Prime Minister nodded with reluctance. "You leave me no other option than to respect your decision, Mr. President. Thank you for inviting me. I'll leave you to get back to your work."

After the meeting, Mosley went straight back to his office. He sat down behind his desk and started thinking about how he could approach the Princess-Regent to convince her. He knew that she was young, and that her position was difficult, but she had to understand that, without allies, she wouldn't survive. He needed to find a way to persuade her that it was in her best interests to cooperate with him. Maybe she didn't fully comprehend the reality of the situation. Even though she was aware that her country was in trouble, she might not realise that it was a big problem. He must persuade her that she couldn't afford to ignore him. He had to show her that their cooperation would benefit both parties.

(OOC: I'll continue to-morrow)
Last edited by Europe a Nation on Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
WE LIVE IN A PERIOD

The Commonwealth of Europe/Eulabia
EMBASSY PROGRAMME | FOREIGN OFFICE
Yes I love Mosley
No Europe a Nation is NOT a fascist nation

Europe a Nation
Envoy

Postby Europe a Nation » Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:07 pm

Mosley was sitting on the plane sipping his favorite Gin and Tonic when he was interrupted by his advisor.

"Mr. President, I don't want to disturb you, but you should see this," he said as he handed the President a tablet with a VickyLeaks article on it;

The President was taken aback as he read the article completely ignoring his advisor who was talking to him.

"...so what should we do now Mr President?"

Mosley didn't respond. Instead, he sipped from a glass of Gin and tonic... After a moment, the phone rang.

"Yes, I just read it."
Mosley smiled "No, Mr Augusto, I'm not going to cancel the visit. I even think it will help us quite a bit..." he paused "Well actually we should thank whoever posted this, I can't imagine what irreparable damage it would have done if it had been leaked later..."
A voice could be heard coming out of the phone, "Mr. President?" but Mosley had already hung up.

The plane landed at Sombreland International Airport. Mosley had flown into many different countries before, but this place felt so much different than any other country he visited. He began walking down the ramp towards the main terminal observing the scenery...
Last edited by Europe a Nation on Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WE LIVE IN A PERIOD

Yes I love Mosley

Sombreland
Diplomat

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Sombreland » Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:24 pm

Galador, Sombreland

The President's plane reached the Kingdom of Sombreland's borders, they would see a rather jagged coast. Much of it was pebbled beach, with some small fishing villages, a large seaport that had clearly been constructed over the years, with huge piers and a haze from factories. Beyond this lay many miles of farmland, broken here and there by villages, small forests, lakes and rivers, and then the stretch of the airport and the largely flat city of Galador. Part of the city was surrounded by ancient walls, and the parts of the city that were so surrounded included large public gardens, palaces, and temples. Two rivers spun their way through it. It did include some modern structures, most significantly railways, a large eight lane highway, and of course the airport.

When the President's plane had taxied to a stop, a companionway was rolled out, and a red carpet aligned with it. A neat line of soldiers in full dress uniform marched out, as a band moved parallel, drumsticks clicking neatly. An officer called out an order echoed by a thunder of a non-commissioned one. When the President stepped out, a voice called the honour guard, which was made up of soldiers of the Royal Cuirassier Guards, to present arms. Carbines were slapped, boots stamped, and bayonets gleamed in the sun.

At the far end of the red carpet stood officials, both courtly and military, but one among them caught the eye the most. In a scarlet coat and a black fox fur hat stood the Princess-Regent, Alavaine. Unmistakable, for whose eyes were so blue, whose skin so far, whose gentle smile so like two rose petals? Whose subtly hinted at figure was so feminine, yet her gaze so firm and determined? The goddess descended de facto ruler of Sombreland stood, dimming the sight of the officials near her as great clouds dim the horizons of a city, so she stood, her gave and welcoming expression beckoning the President to join her at the end of the red carpet.

Cameras flashed, and the anthem of Europe began to play, well rehearsed, played with dramatic flourish, ending with an air of triumph. When he reached the end of the red carpet, the Princess-Regent, Alavaine, said, "So this, at last, is President Oswald Mosley, in the flesh! You are most welcome here. I am glad to meet you. It is my great hope that we will have good conversations and better relations between our nations for it. I hope, Mr. President, that you have had a pleasant journey. A small further one awaits you: travel to the Grey Palace! Will you join me?"

Europe a Nation
Envoy

Postby Europe a Nation » Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:00 pm

Mosley was pleased to see the welcome he received from Sombreland. His eyes, however, rested on the Princess-Regent. He almost sighed pitifully as it dawned on him how this young and beautiful woman has to bear such a burden as leading a country, and in such an agonising situation as this. Despite the pity he felt, however, Mosley also found the Princess-Regent awe-inspiring. He wondered for a moment if he himself, at the age of 20, had even thought of being a leader. He remembered his mistakes from his youth and now in his 40s he still didn't feel ready. He couldn't tell if it was an act or not, but the Princess-Regent seemed committed to rule.

"Why of course I'll join you, your majestic highness." Mosley said in a warm voice as he greeted with the Princess Regent. He looked around "So the rumours about this place are true after all. I can tell at a glance that Sombreland is a wonderful country" he gazed at Princess-Regent with his distinctive brown eyes as he continued, "full of wonderful people. I'm glad to see it for myself."
Last edited by Europe a Nation on Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
WE LIVE IN A PERIOD

Yes I love Mosley

Sombreland
Diplomat

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Sombreland » Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:57 pm

The two heads of state were led towards a waiting car, dark and sleek, with a saluting Royal Cuirassier Guardsman holding the door open for them. The Princess-Regent indicated that the President should go first. Any officials that the President had brought were accompanied by persons of approximate rank, and the little convoy set out and began to drive away from the airport.

The car was comfortable, warm enough but with a pleasant, dry heat, with comfortable seats and a nice view of the city, as the car moved down a looping road and then towards a main street where there was an obvious police presence. The city was well spread out over rolling country, and did not have many tall houses. There were temples, palaces, places of commerce, banks, and other such places, rarely taller than four stories. There was an old world elegance to many of the places, though there were also more humble places such as tenements and small houses.

There was a presence of Thonist protestors. They were waving signs, shouting, and waving flags. Several Roogs (senior priests) stood under a portable shrine canopy, with grey-white incense smoke blowing around themselves, droning chants emitted through loudspeakers, drums and flutes being beaten and blown. They cried out that foreigners should not influence the courtly caste, and that the country should be purified.

The Princess-Regent, Alavaine, frowned, though even in her frowning she was pretty. "Those folk..." she said. "I apologize for their presence, President Mosley. And such a beautiful day today. Yet it is difficult to speak against them, for what they call for is what many believe. I have heard it said, President Mosley, that one of the things about being a ruler is that it involves always having to perceive how to deal with your enemies. Have you had such experiences, President Mosley? That people who present themselves as your friends are really your enemies? And how would you expose them as enemies when they say many correct things?"

Europe a Nation
Envoy

Postby Europe a Nation » Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:21 am

Mosley became increasingly lost in thought with each question posed by the Princess-Regent. He reflected on his life experiences. Some he was proud of, while others he wasn't. Many he'd rather forget. But they always had the same outcome. The intended result. His homeland's common good... the Common good of Europe.

He turned to face the Princess Regent, who was sitting next to him. He assumed the conversation was private, but he was hesitant to give honest answers. Perhaps it was the weakness of the moment, the profundity of the question, or the sheer beauty of the Princess-Regent that compelled Mosley to respond truthfully.

"You know, Your Majesty, sometimes those who act as your closest friends are those who despise you the most. And sometimes doing the right thing isn't the best thing to do."

He paused to take in the city's scenery.

“And sometimes, your majesty, it's better to let your enemies believe they have the upper hand, especially if they act as your friends."

After a moment, he began to wonder if his answer was too honest. While he waited for the princess's answer, he was already making plans for his next reaction and play it off if necessary.
WE LIVE IN A PERIOD

Yes I love Mosley

Sombreland
Diplomat

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Sombreland » Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:16 pm

The Princess-Regent, Alavaine, looked thoughtful. "Yes. My grandfather has always said that trust is not something like a great building; he said it is rather like a ship at sea. The relationships change with the ebbs and flows of life. Ah, Mr. President! I so longed to bring great change to my country! For when I became Regent, it grieved me, because it was in the wake of my father's death, my grandfather's illness. From which...he is unlikely to recover. Yet he is still King." her voice was soft when she said the last phrase.

Then she gave him the glory of her wondrous smile that lit up soft blue eyes and her delicate features. "But come! You have come a long way to be here, you did not come to hear of the anxieties of someone who, to you, is a mere novice at ruling! You also have the more difficult task, for you were not born to it, but had to strive and earn your way and prove yourself! Now I have heard that there are benefits and weaknesses to each approach to ruling a country, but I know you have put your stamp on it because you are Oswald Mosley, who has climbed many peaks and had to deal with many valleys to get to where you are. And this is a difficult time. A difficult time for ICON, a difficult time in the Region, a difficult time to be friends with Sombreland...in light of recent events. Though there is an agenda and all preparations..I would like to hear from you, personally, why you have come."

Europe a Nation
Envoy

Postby Europe a Nation » Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:58 pm

"I'm sorry that you have to deal with such hardships even within your family circle." Mosley said with a regretful look.

"About your question I venture to argue that many leaders have a very limited picture of other countries. They regard your country as a piece of land on a map, populated by a rather peculiar people with peculiar customs who are sitting on a pile of gold and are absolutely unaware of it. There are individuals who view the land as red and green numbers and act like snails; they will seek out the brightest green they can find and chew it until the number turns red, and believe me, your majesty, Sombreland is a very bright green in this region for such people."

He paused for a moment and gave the princess a frank look.

"I could look at your country in the same manner, but I believe that viewing countries as numbers or locations on a map distorts the judgement significantly. Well, let me answer to your question. I came to see your country personally. To witness the beauty of a land that appears strange, yet is so close to us. To learn about your culture and traditions. To understand your people and your faith. It is much easier to relate to people if you get to know them, your majesty. And I want to learn more about this country and its people. Because I believe our nations should have good relations and help each other as I believe it's in both of our best interests."
WE LIVE IN A PERIOD

Yes I love Mosley

Sombreland
Diplomat

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Sombreland » Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:40 am

The Princess-Regent, Alavaine, listened gravely to President Mosley's words. "Like snails. How apt! For many see the snail move slowly and do not see that it moves with determination, and has an effect on a garden, and eats voraciously. Yes, that sounds wise and true. And so my country is seen as a garden, full of green opportunity."

She was quiet a moment. Then she said, "And you have come in this spirit of discovery. This is delightful to me! You shall see something of my country, and you may ask questions freely of my people. I warn you, though, President Mosley, that you will mostly see people of the Royal Court and Government, not the ordinary people of the lower castes who make up most of the people. They will be of the Courtly Caste, the Priestly Caste, the Military Caste. I rarely see anyone not of these castes. And this is right and proper. Yet new ideas are in my country, most particularly the ideas of liberalism and socialism.

"Let me tell you why I do not trust these ideas. Liberals want castes to either mix to a greater degree or to be abolished. While they understand that this would take a long time to produce the effect they want, they want it. So over time, schools, colleges, universities, for instance, would blend the castes together until a new educated class was established. They would want to limit the powers of the Courtly caste so that we had to listen to advice of the other castes. They would also want us to be open to foreign markets and investment, to abolish the perogatives of the military caste to raise the numbers of our military so that anyone could serve, and to modernize our country entirely. It is all, really, about money, and they want more foreign money in our country.

"As for the socialists, they want to abolish caste but also make everyone "equal", and make sure no one has any privilege of resources. These ideas were brought in by Wenchuan. The socialists want me and other members of the Royal Family and courtly caste either to lose all offices or be reduced to symbolic ones for foreign tourists to gawk at. They want roles specific to men and women abolished. They want ethnicity to be disregarded. They want to destroy all the traditions and history of my country."

"I must maintain the course though. It is what keeps my country in a state of harmony. Without this, the country will fall into chaos. And it is my sacred duty, according to my oaths, and according to one I swore to my grandfather in particular. These things are no doubt strange, yet they are the things which are."

Europe a Nation
Envoy

Postby Europe a Nation » Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:18 am

Mosley returned his gaze to the Princess Regent. He saw the passion he had once felt, the dreams he had once had. He saw the young person with a mind full of ideas, the person he had once been. He remembered the visions and dreams for his country that he was filled with when he took his presidential oath. He remembered how his dreams had been trimmed and decreased until all that remained was a small point in the middle of the emptiness that formed the basis of Mosley's dream. And even that minor point, which he held dear because it was the last thing he had left, in the end stood and fell with him. It was united Europe.

His inner voice yelled and tried to warn the Princess-Regent not to go down the rabbit hole known as leadership, to advise her to enjoy her youth the way other young people do, to warn her of the impending doom, but the reasonable side of him saw things differently. He envisioned a conflict that may benefit his country. He knew Princess-Regent would crash hard if she continued to push her vision and oppose the inevitable. He reacted after a little internal conflict.

"Your Majesty, I have learnt over the years, not just as President, but also in other political roles, that sometimes you have to succumb to the wind of change. Politics is about compromise, but not at any cost, but at the right time and with the right people. Even though you disagree with your opponents, you must consider that there are others who agree with them. So, Your Majesty, if you must, make a compromise. Staying firm to prevent chaos can not only backfire on you, but it can also lead to unthinkable devastation. I know you believe what you desire is right, but... is it truly the best?"
Last edited by Europe a Nation on Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
WE LIVE IN A PERIOD

Yes I love Mosley

Sombreland
Diplomat

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Sombreland » Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:49 pm

The Princess-Regent, Alavaine, closed her eyes and her face became a serene mask as they drove past the ancient walls that had once protected the Old City, passing by pleasant estates and many groves of fruiting trees. Then she opened them.

"President Mosley, the winds of change blow in every direction. Perhaps if there was one--say the liberal one, the socialist one, the Thonist one--then it would be a straightforward matter to resolve it. It is not! Some want me to make the caste system and our laws even stronger! Others want me to remove their importance, reducing them to mere symbolism and traditions, and still others want the whole thing scrapped and replaced with something radically different! And of course sneaking around are those who want me to bow to Nifon and let them direct how our country is run! Which do you recommend me to listen to?"

She shook her head. "I suppose what it comes down to is: can I win? For my Chancellor has advised me that the caste system, legal system, dealing with the Wenchuanese, dealing with Nifon, that these are all just particulars. The question is: can our government be effective and get done what needs to get done? Without the refugees presenting a problem, the strain upon my government will lessen. The question is whether or not I can do that while maintaining the position that I have, thus far, chosen. My chief advisors think that it is possible. Unless you can suggest something better, what I intend to do is carry out a policy of building a new homeland for the Wenchuanese."

Europe a Nation
Envoy

Postby Europe a Nation » Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:52 pm

Mosley was pleasantly surprised to be asked for advice by the Princess-Regent. But the question, so simple at first sight, was very complex. After a short thought, he answered.

"Your Majesty, you are right when you say that three winds of change cannot be tamed. Especially if they are each coming from a different direction and all against you. But I don't use the metaphor of wind for no reason. I can give you one piece of advice from my own experience. Move a little in the direction of the wind of change that is most close or beneficial to you. The winds will then collide in the centre, which will no longer be you, but the differences between them, and lose their force. What is left of them you will surely deal with. Then you ask if you can win. You should rather ask at what cost you are willing to win, your majesty. Victory doesn't come cheap."

"Yes, I could advise you more directly, but I am afraid I would presume to advise you on things that would be to the advantage of my country. After all, I am the leader of my country, not yours. You know better what is best for your country so you will have to be content with metaphors, your majesty." Mosley said, smiling.
Last edited by Europe a Nation on Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.
WE LIVE IN A PERIOD

Yes I love Mosley

Sombreland
Diplomat

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Sombreland » Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:55 pm

"Perhaps," said the Princess-Regent, Alavaine, "If you have time, you might be kind enough to speak with some of my senior ministers to present your ideas to them? They are experienced men, and may understand your views better than I can. Ah, here we are!"

Soundtraack Moment

They were approaching the Gray Palace now. A grand gatehouse, like an old fashioned fortress, manned by formally dressed Royal Guards in uniforms from the early 20th Century but with modern rifles, along with a fortified wall, which surrounded its estate. As they drove through, guards near the entrance presented arms. A long boulevard, wide enough for a great military parade, with beautifully sculpted pine trees led to the palace itself, which was of classical design with cones, spires and great pillars. The palace had two great wings and a center that had a flight of fine stairs leading up to the doors. Looming over them was a tall dome.

"This is the Gray Palace, which was first given to my mother and father by my grandfather, the King," explained Princess-Regent Alavaine, "And then it was given to me! It is called the Gray Palace, but I find the stones that made it beautiful, because gray is a lovely colour. Many birds are gray, and a gray sky is beautiful. In days past, Mr. President, this place was built for a great Grand Duke, but he gave it as a gift to the King who ruled then, about three hundred years ago.""

They came into a chamber that the President had seen before, And the late morning light penetrated to the corners and recesses, and to the rafters of the vaulted roof. Its walls and pillars were of snow-white marble, every vein was set with small gems: rubies, corals, garnets, and pink topaz. Seven pillars on either side held up the shadowy vault of the roof; the roof-tree and the beams were of golden wood. curiously carved, the roof itself painted to appear to be mother-of-pearl and caught the light like sea-foam. burned the symbols of the ancestors of each caste of Sombreland, every star a diamond that shone with its own light. A side aisle ran behind each row of pillars, and seven paintings on the western side faced seven great windows on the east. The paintings were of past monarchs of Sombreland, looking grave and magisterial..

To give light to the presence chamber were seven chandeliers, hung in order down the length of it, and nine fair moonstones standing in order on silver pedestals between the pillars on the dais. These jewels, drinking in the sunshine by day, gave it forth during the hours of darkness in a radiance of pink light and a soft effulgence as of moonbeams.

A great conifer table spanned the whole room, and yet it was marvelous too, for it curved to make it possible for many guests to sit and face one another, and seemed to have been carved whole from the trunk of one great tree, polished and fine, and there were chairs of cedar, carved elegantly and cunningly, for the guests to sit upon, which were made for comfort, with excellent back support and seat support, though there were cushions for those who required them. The floor of the chamber was checkered of marble and green tourmaline, and on every square of tourmaline was carved the images of turtles; sea turtles, freshwater turtles, and tortoises.

There was a pleasant buffet laid out on a large table which included various drinks such as tea, wine, coffee, but there was also nice chilled distilled water.

The Princess-Regent, Alavaine, sat and invited the President to sit, and there were several ministers and officials present. The Princess-Regent, Alavaine, said, "So, President Mosley, you are the first government leader to hear of our decision about the uranium mining. We have decided, after careful consultation, to declare that the Shava Region, with careful consultation and protections, will be open to mining. While it will be carefully regulated, uranium will be among the principal minerals exploited. My government has invited you here personally because it is our hope that your country would be willing to offer up bids for mining and refining that do not unduly damage the Shava Region and offend its ancestors. Is this possible?"

Europe a Nation
Envoy

Postby Europe a Nation » Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:49 pm

Mosley believed the Grey Palace was an intriguing name for a royal residence. The Princess Regent's love of grey had taken him by surprise, but her explanation piqued his interest enough to have him think about it, and he concluded that grey wasn't such a bad colour after all. Mosley took in the beauty of the palace as they continued. If only he possessed such a palace, he thought, laughing, for he found it amusing how childishly jealous such beauty made him. Mosley appropriately greeted all of the ministers when they arrived and took his seat. He was relieved to learn that uranium mining in the Shava Area had been permitted by the Sombreland government. It would be even less difficult to reach an agreement.

"Why of course it is possible, your Majesty!" said Mosley and smiled. "In order to minimise environmental impact our mining companies use in-situ mining process, which produces very little waste, and has no long-term effects." He paused and watched the princess and the ministers, wanting to see how they would react to the condition he was about to imply. "Therefore if we were to undertake the mining ourselves, we could do so without damaging the environment."
WE LIVE IN A PERIOD

Yes I love Mosley

Sombreland
Diplomat

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Sombreland » Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:06 pm

The elderly Chancellor seemed half asleep, his eyes nearly closed, leaning on his cane. The Minister of the Right, who wore a stern expression, nodded to his officials. The Director of Weights and Measures cleared his throat and produced a large binder. and began to read from it. To anyone but a geologist, it was full of strange language, and remarks such as "What we are largely looking at are Metasomatite deposits...the products of intense sodium- or potassium-metasomatism along lithospheric fault systems giving rise to large volumes of albitised or illitised rock. The deposits take the form of structurally controlled, disseminated and vein-hosted ores of variable shape and size..."

Prince Shaladew Kadav, the Minister of the Left and Minister of Death, said, drily, "My dear fellow, I doubt that either Her Majestic Highness or President Mosley care about this stuff. Could we please have a summary?'

The Director looked up with uncertainty, "Er...yes, Your Excellency. Er...It is the replacement of one rock by another of different mineralogical and chemical composition. The minerals which compose the rocks are dissolved and new mineral formations are deposited in their place..."

"No one here cares about that," said the Minister of the Right with some irritation. "Can this In Situ mining be used there?"

"Oh yes, Minister, it's common enough." said the Director.

"Thank you." the Minister of the Right said.

An ancient old man, withered, with spider web white hair, a fine wispy beard, parchment skin, sunken eyes, and holding onto his hearing aid carefully, was speaking in a whispering voice to an old but still much younger man, who said, "His Excellency says that there is more to this than the environment, as important as that is. A map has been produced that indicates what areas are sacred and must not be touched."

The Princess-Regent, Alavaine, whispered to the President, "This is the Minister of Divinity, he and his directorates guide us in all things sacred..."

"Some areas would have to be avoided altogether," said the Minister of the Right. "Other areas, shrines and sacred places could be moved."
"As for other concerns: labour. We would want some persons employed, especially for labour, support, truck driving, and so on, to be Sombrelanders. Could this be done, Mr. President?"

Europe a Nation
Envoy

Postby Europe a Nation » Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:13 pm

"Of course, you will be allowed to hire your own employees. And don't worry, your government will not be required to pay anything. Consider it an investment in your economy. Unfortunately, there are several conditions that our company requires for such an investment. And, to be honest, that's a significant investment, and I understand why they want to protect it."

Mosley paused and thought for a bit. He didn't want to make demands, but in this case it was not only essential, but also quite convenient.

"The first condition is that only the Edgar Group will be granted the uranium extraction rights in the Shava area. The second condition is that Sombreland will guarantee to EAN that it will reserve 50% of the uranium extracted for export to EAN.”

Mosley replaced the serious face with a smile as he continued.

"However, in exchange for these terms, our government is offering Sombreland political support in promoting its interests in the region and ultimately help with the agricultural and refugee crisis.”
WE LIVE IN A PERIOD

Yes I love Mosley

Sombreland
Diplomat

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Sombreland » Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:45 pm

The Princess-Regent, Alavaine, glanced at an open folder presented to her by the Minister of the Right, and inclined her head as it was whispered to her by the Chancellor, "Majestic Highness, this will tie us strongly to the Europeans, and more, it will tie a major resource of our country to them in commerce. And need I remind Your Majestic Highness that it was Nifon which first offered extraction and requested a share of what was extracted?"

"Let them learn," said the Princess-Regent quietly, "What they might have had, had they been true. While we considered, and while another nation I cannot bear to name did their foolish blundering, Nifon immediately withdrew its offer and instead substituted it for sly threats and slanders. This is only the beginning. There are other resources we have, and the Europeans shall not have them all. But if it were to be so, better the Europeans."

Aloud, the Princess-Regent, Alavaine, said, "I believe that these terms are satisfactory. The sacredness is a concern, however, that must be accepted. The Shava Region is a region held to be holy. Industry must always be held second to that. In other words, were it to threaten the sacredness through damages to the area, it would have to be halted until the matter was fixed. Of course, I understand that clever persons can work this into the contracts."

It would be a great challenge, but it could be done. Enclaves would need to be built for any concentration of foreigners into Sombreland. The Sombreland Mining Agency would need to be on hand as consultants for extraction and refining, for transportation of goods and materials. In the end, though, the Sombrelanders were ready to agree to have lesser persons work out the details, but overall, an agreement was reached for the Europeans and in particular for the Edgar Group to be given the rights, and EaN to receive 50% for export.

Europe a Nation
Envoy

Postby Europe a Nation » Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:45 pm

Mosley was overjoyed with the outcome, but it was merely the beginning. Sombreland was a strategic partner, but he was aware that not everything Sombreland is doing was favourable, but that's simply the way things are. Nonetheless, the deal was signed, and he understood he might raise less pleasant topics. He spoke after a little pause.

"I am glad that we have achieved an amicable agreement. As promised, our merchant ships carrying grain will depart shortly to aid your nation. You know, I feel that by working together strategically, we will be able to overcome any difficulties brought on by our foes. But I need to point out that we must keep our temper and proceed with caution."

He hoped to convey the point enough. Whatever Nifon undertakes, the crisis must not escalate at this time. Theedishland and TECT realms in Kaliy Yuga may use the poor relations to tie up with Nifon even more and challenge EAN directly. This was absolutely unacceptable to EAN. He continued after a brief break.

"But I do have few questions. The world has learned that our ally Neo-Korea allegedly attempted a slave trade with you. Of course, I cannot give weight to such misleading gossip based on two emails until the subject is thoroughly investigated, but it has generated quite a stir in other nations. What are your thoughts on the issue, and were you aware of what Neo-Korea was up to? I don't mean to offend either our ally or you, but Neo-Korea is economically comparable to Wenchuan. Why was this decision made in the first place? It would be almost similar to send them back to Wenchuan's torment."

"I'd also like to know what the present situation with the Wenchuanese is like and how we can help. We with all due respect disagree with the existing policy, but we recognise the gravity of the issue and respect it. Our country now has an extremely tight migration policy, but if there are any refugees with ties to the Wenchuanese community in EAN, I believe we will be able to do something about it."
Last edited by Europe a Nation on Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
WE LIVE IN A PERIOD

Yes I love Mosley

Sombreland
Diplomat

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Sombreland » Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:39 pm

The Princess-Regent, Alavaine, looked upon President Mosley curiously, but gave indication by a wave of her hand for the Chancellor or another Minister to respond.

"The Royal Government was not aware of any intention to enslave Wenchuanese refugees from Sombreland to go to be enslaved." said the Chancellor. "The revelation that they were to be enslaved is not, to our understanding, confirmed save through the leak of emails. Even then, that is not proof; it is concern. The Royal Government has sent one of our frigates to intercept the Neo-Korean convoy. The government of Neo-Korea has not denied the charges. And, frankly, our government intends to bring up the matter in the Assembly for ICON before this goes on too much further."

"Touching on another matter, what is it, exactly, that your government disagrees with concerning our policies, Mr. President?" asked the Minister of the Left blandly.

Europe a Nation
Envoy

Postby Europe a Nation » Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:13 pm

Mosley, who was already prepared to be questioned, responded quickly.

"Your excellency, our government is diligently seeking a solution to the migration problem at its root. That would be Wenchuan in your instance. Regrettably, it is an open truth that, as things stand, Nifon will not permit any interference in Wenchuan."

Mosley paused for a bit to give seriousness to the situation before continuing.

"This gives your government two possibilities. Either assimilate the refugees into society or disperse them to friendly countries that want them. For various reasons, we respectfully oppose the redistribution of refugees. First, you can't be certain that the refugees want to relocate to the location you've chosen for them. Second, you are renouncing responsibility for human lives to other countries, and the third reason is that you do not know how the countries involved will treat the refugees, which is our greatest and, unfortunately, possibly reasonable concern given the incident already mentioned."

He paused again.

"And this gets me back to the question I raised before, your excellency: how did your country, with all due respect, come to the judgement that Neo-Korea would make the suitable home for more than 100 000 refugees?"
Last edited by Europe a Nation on Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WE LIVE IN A PERIOD

Yes I love Mosley

Sombreland
Diplomat

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Sombreland » Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:05 pm

The Minister of the Left replied, "Mr. President, no one in this government sent Wenchuanese refugees to any nation abroad. They were offered opportunities to emigrate and they took them. Only Neo-Korea actually offered such an opportunity and actually carried it out. So this was hardly the responsibility of the Kingdom of Sombreland. We permitted Wenchuanese to enter our country as a temporary refuge, and they have swamped our country and its resources."

The Princess-Regent, Alavaine, spoke. "President Mosley, talk of assimilation is not possible. It is clear that the Wenchuanese cannot be assimilated. They have no caste, they do not share our cultural and ethnic heritage, and their political orientations create conflict. They are inherently damaging as a population to our labour and to our politics, and strain our resources. We are willing to help them, but the relocation policy is the policy the government...my government...is committed to. My government must deal with the Thonist extremists and the Wenchuanese refugees putting our society under strain each in the way we have designated.

"I can quite understand, President Mosley, if your own government, indeed your own morals, cannot find agreement with us. But if you are willing to offer help then there are two ways forward given the policy directives we have. First: to enable emigration from Sombreland. It is clear that Sombreland and Wenhuanese society are incompatible. Two: to help create a Wenchuanese refugee homeland. Those are the two possibilities my government will contemplate."

Europe a Nation
Envoy

Postby Europe a Nation » Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:18 pm

Mosley had a moral obligation to get into an argument with the Minister of the Left, but he managed to control himself. Therefore he merely nodded calmly and turned his attention to The Princess-Regent.

"Your Majesty, I understand and respect your national policies. As I have stated, we can provide Wenchuans with families in EAN with the possibility to emigrate. We are also willing to assist with border security by deploying expeditionary forces. Of course, all within the bounds of the Treaty of Galador."
WE LIVE IN A PERIOD

Yes I love Mosley

Sombreland
Diplomat

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Sombreland » Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:27 am

The Princess-Regent, Alavaine looked sad and yet wondrously kind and gentle as she said, “One of the things my grandfather, King Orian, told me was that rulers must make hard decisions. I know this very much. The compassionate heart within me cries out for mercy and generosity. The ruler in me tells me to be firm in purpose. This I must do.

“I am grateful, President Mosley, that you will work with us. I hope that this will build a real partnership. As for our cooperation concerning the refugees, I believe that we must work together. I understand though, that there are Wenchuanese in your country…” she looked thoughtful. President Mosley might notice a glance, briefly exchanged, between her and the Chancellor. “ What I would like to recommend is this: what if the refugees who were going to Neo-Korea were to be diverted to your country, temporarily housed, and offered the chance to live there? Could your country take so many? And what would your country need from Sombreland to help, if this were possible?”

Europe a Nation
Envoy

Postby Europe a Nation » Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:45 am

Mosley was undecided. Going against the established migration policy would be extremely costly for him. He spoke up following a brief moment of consideration.

"Well, it violates our migration policy, but I believe we can handle it."

He paused for a moment.

"Consider it as a gesture of goodwill on our part and in return I would like to ask for a show of support on your part. What I am requesting is Her Majesty's presence and backing at the Congress of Ishikawa.
Last edited by Europe a Nation on Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
WE LIVE IN A PERIOD

Yes I love Mosley

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents