NATION

PASSWORD

[ABANDONED] Preventing Child Labor

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Big Boys Ville
Bureaucrat

Founded: Sep 14, 2021
Ex-Nation

[ABANDONED] Preventing Child Labor

Postby Big Boys Ville » Thu Dec 29, 2022 2:33 pm

This is the replacement for GAR#4
Link to Repeal: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=527304&hilit=repeal+child+labor

Preventing Child Labor
Strength: Mild
AOE: All Industries

Understanding that some nations may want to employ children

Believing that children should not be forced to work at a young age and should instead get an education

Noting that child labor would lead to economic issues such as a high youth dependency ratio

Hereby Defines:

“Child” as someone who has not reached their nation's age of majority
“Work” as a job where someone is doing a task for an employer
“Dangerous Industry” as a industry where the risk for injury is high
“Sexually explicit” as an industry that involves someone doing sexual favors for someone else.
“Part Time” as someone who works a job but it isn't their main task

1. Hereby bans children from working in any industry

2. Hereby allows older children to work part time until thy are the age of majority in any industry except those that are:
Dangerous
Sexually Explicit
Harmful to the person’s health
Last edited by Big Boys Ville on Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:53 am, edited 7 times in total.
Congrats, you found my nonexistent nation

My views do not represent the views of raiders or others

Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Thu Dec 29, 2022 2:36 pm

OOC: Please note section 4 of GAR#299. The WA cannot directly set age limits for anything.
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:17 pm

“The General Assembly almost never deals in concrete timings. As a result, I suggest altering your definition of ‘part-time’ to something more general, or removing the definition altogether. On another point, I am not sure what the utility of clause 1 is. If any employer can simply deem a minor old enough to work, per the definition, then there is little protection from unscrupulous employers.”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Big Boys Ville
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Boys Ville » Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:42 am

Noted and Updated the draft

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:27 am

“What is a work-permit? In Kenmoria, there is no such thing as a work-permit, as far as I am aware, so this would make the entire population as children. Also, the definition of work that your delegation has used here would include household chores rewarded with money, as many parents do for their children, from the children’s early youths.”
Last edited by Kenmoria on Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Big Boys Ville
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Boys Ville » Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:24 pm

Noted and Updated again

Princess Rainbow Sparkles
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 08, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Princess Rainbow Sparkles » Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:49 pm

Big Boys Ville wrote:“Child” as someone who is not capable of providing for themself

“How to define a child! It is a very hard question, don’t you think? Even the most adult of us still behave as children now and then.”

“Anyway, this definition is far too broad. There are many who cannot provide for themselves, but who clearly are not children. The very elderly, for instance. And the severely disabled.” Roweina winces slightly, having never particularly cared for that term. But its meaning was pretty widely understood.

“Also, some adults I know are completely helpless and cannot hardly provide for their own care. Finally, I know of at least some children who are so brilliant and wildly successful that they most certainly could provide for themselves.”

“So, clearly, being a child is not about being unable to provide for yourself.”

“I always thought childhood had something to do with age, and the threshold at which a society arbitrarily decides a person is old enough to be given the full rights and responsibilities of ‘adulthood’ (again, whatever the heck that is). Wise authors in the past realized that different societies have settled on different thresholds, without one being able to demonstrably prove that their threshold is the best for any particular reason. And so past laws on subjects such as this have simply embraced the idea of defining childhood according to the national age of majority.”

“If you wish to persist in this endeavor I strongly encourage you to imitate that brilliancy.”

Big Boys Ville
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Boys Ville » Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:24 pm

(OOC): Thank you everyone for your feedback and updated the draft

Juansonia
Minister

Founded: Apr 01, 2022
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Juansonia » Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:50 am

Big Boys Ville wrote:1. Hereby bans children from working in any industry

2. Hereby allows older children to work part time until thy are the age of majority in any industry except those that are:
Dangerous
Sexually Explicit
Harmful to the person’s health
"What is the line between children and older children for the purposes of this resolution? Why is there no mandate that the part-time work be scheduled in a manner that prevents it from interfering with educational obligations?" - Maria-Fernanda Novo, WA Ambassador for the Armed Republic of Juansonia

OOC: it'd be better to just have one "Hereby:" before the active clauses instead of having every clause start with "Hereby"
Hatsune Miku > British Imperialism
IC: MT if you ignore some stuff(mostly flavor), stats are not canon. Embassy link.
OOC: Owns and (sometimes) wears a maid outfit, wants to pair it with a FN SCAR-L. He/Him/His
Kernen did nothing wrong.
Space Squid wrote:Each sin should get it's own month.

Right now, Pride gets June, and Greed, Envy, and Gluttony have to share Thanksgiving/Black Friday through Christmas, Sloth gets one day in September, and Lust gets one day in February.

It's not equitable at all
Gandoor wrote:Cliché: A mod making a reply that's full of swearing after someone asks if you're allowed to swear on this site.

It makes me chuckle every time it happens.
Brits mistake Miku for their Anthem

Hannasea
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 23, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Hannasea » Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:54 am

"As we have stated before, there is little point banning child labour while not closing the loophole that allows goods made through child labour to be imported. Given the majority of world nations are not in the WA, any WA member can easily circumvent prohibitions on child labour, at least in the manufacturing sector, by offshoring operations to a non-WA nation."

Daniella Russel, MA PhD,
Representing the office of:
Ambassador Brittany Hepburn
Semi-Permanent Representative to the World Assembly

Princess Rainbow Sparkles
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 08, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Princess Rainbow Sparkles » Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:19 am

"My delegation appreciates the efforts made by the author to accept comments and revise this draft. But the Princess feels that this remains extremely far from an acceptable replacement for Restrictions on Child Labor. There is still a flat ban on children performing any sort of work, which is clearly too blunt and lacks the nuance necessary for sound youth work policy. There is now some exception for 'older' children but without any guidelines for what is meant by older. Presumably, you mean children who have reached an age where they possess the skills, maturity, and physical ability to perform compensable labor without jeopardizing their health, education, or development - but you have not made that clear."

"You define part time but then never do anything to address part time work."

"We agree with Dr. Russel that there are important areas which the existing Restrictions on Child Labor left unaddressed. This Assembly could do with a new resolution aimed at diminishing the international market for products made by child labor in non-member nations and non-compliant member nations."

"Our advice to the Big Boy delegation would be to shelve this effort to repeal and replace GAR #4 (at least for now). Instead, try to draft a law which would measurably improve children's rights in a new way that goes beyond what GAR #4 did. Perhaps by a resolution to embargo products which are made by impermissible child labor practices. Or a resolution calling for trade restrictions and sanctions against nations which do not adopt minimum child welfare standards for employment."

"That would probably be a much better use of your time."

Big Boys Ville
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Boys Ville » Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:55 am

(OOC: Since this proposal is far from being ready for submission and a bunch of outside factors preventing me from continuing this project, I have decided to abandon this project. Someone else is allowed to continue where I left off but it will be difficult.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly