NATION

PASSWORD

[Draft] Decleration on use of Luxary Art Tax

A chamber dedicated to the dissemination of inter-regional peace and goodwill, via force if necessary.
User avatar
9003
Diplomat
 
Posts: 555
Founded: Oct 25, 2012
Corporate Police State

[Draft] Decleration on use of Luxary Art Tax

Postby 9003 » Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:47 am

Seeing as house the auction house now collects a tax on luxury art trades, which are trades defined as auctions that have a “matching” price of that of 10 or more bank.;

Knowing that the World assembly should be financially responsible and transparent in how it receives its fund and how those funds are spent;

Hereby declares that an organization henceforth known as the Central Cards Committee known as CCC for short be created for the allocation of funds collected and to decide in which ways they are spent;

The CCC will be initially funded by the X bank collected in tax up to this point from the taxation of the international artwork auction house;

Further, the CCC will release quarterly reports containing both the amount of tax collected thus far and how it has and will be spent in future reports;

The CCC will appoint and be self-governing with the world assembly oversight employing the following: Bookkeepers, inflation busters, art authenticators and Tax collectors. Funding for this is made possible by the taxes collected.

Furthermore establishing several preliminary tasks that the CCC should undertake, tasks that include but are not limited to upkeeping the auction house as a safe space for nations of all sorts to conduct business with one another in the art market, the payment of the artists who mint new works of art that are traded by nations, and the creation of a fund to remove the artworks of nations condemned by this body and to promote the art of those commended by it.

Co-Authors: New Sunville and New Makasta



This is our first draft of a declaration on where the tax goes for all large-scale card sales. For those who do not know recently added was a "luxury" tax it sits at 10% of the sale price above 10 bank meaning that if you spend 100 on a card you end up paying 9 bank in tax. While the site does not directly track this statistic (outwardly at least it may be internally) I have added to my discord bot in the public cards server the ability to look back and calculate the tax up to the current point in time. At this time there has been 14,134.51 bank spent on tax. My goal is to update X with the current amount of bank at the time of submitting the proposal to the floor allowing for it to be the most up-to-date number.
All feedback is welcome we all know I can't spell to save my life.
Last edited by 9003 on Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
proud member of PETZ people for the Ethical Treatment of Zombies

Active member of The cards market place discord

User avatar
Zanderlock
Attaché
 
Posts: 67
Founded: Nov 07, 2022
New York Times Democracy

My opinion

Postby Zanderlock » Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:49 am

I feel like it is good, but maybe be a bit more verbose. You know?
I, Zanderlock, officially, and of my own free will, authorize the posting of this message when this signature appears. If any signature is invalid or different, DO NOT TRUST THEM!

User avatar
Cooee
Political Columnist
 
Posts: 4
Founded: Dec 05, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Cooee » Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:00 am

I think it's a good draft .

User avatar
Bhang Bhang Duc
Senator
 
Posts: 4007
Founded: Dec 17, 2003
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bhang Bhang Duc » Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:17 am

You can’t use a Declaration to create anything, therefore your draft is illegal.
Former Delegate of The West Pacific. Guardian (under many Delegates) of The West Pacific. TWP's Former Minister for World Assembly Affairs and former Security Council Advisor.

The West Pacific's Official Welshman, Astronomer and Old Fart
Pierconium wrote:I see Funk as an opportunistic manipulator that utilises the means available to him to reach his goals. In other words, a nation after my own heart.

RiderSyl wrote:If an enchantress made it so one raid could bring about world peace, Unibot would ask raiders to just sign a petition instead.

Sedgistan wrote:The SC has just has a spate of really shitty ones recently from Northumbria, his Watermelon fanboy…..

User avatar
Huaren Gongsi state
Attaché
 
Posts: 93
Founded: Aug 23, 2022
Father Knows Best State

Postby Huaren Gongsi state » Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:29 am

I felt like this should belong to the general assembly, and lexical errors on the very start is already enough to deter this draft from being forwarded.
(this signature has been seized by the Lanfang Public Safety Commission by direct order)

User avatar
Bhang Bhang Duc
Senator
 
Posts: 4007
Founded: Dec 17, 2003
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bhang Bhang Duc » Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:33 am

Huaren Gongsi state wrote:I felt like this should belong to the general assembly, and lexical errors on the very start is already enough to deter this draft from being forwarded.

And it would be illegal there too as it is trying to change game mechanics.
Former Delegate of The West Pacific. Guardian (under many Delegates) of The West Pacific. TWP's Former Minister for World Assembly Affairs and former Security Council Advisor.

The West Pacific's Official Welshman, Astronomer and Old Fart
Pierconium wrote:I see Funk as an opportunistic manipulator that utilises the means available to him to reach his goals. In other words, a nation after my own heart.

RiderSyl wrote:If an enchantress made it so one raid could bring about world peace, Unibot would ask raiders to just sign a petition instead.

Sedgistan wrote:The SC has just has a spate of really shitty ones recently from Northumbria, his Watermelon fanboy…..

User avatar
Tinhampton
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11790
Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:01 am

Why does the CCC need "inflation busters" when the Luxury Tax is curbing inflation already? :lol:

Will offer more comments after Croatia vs Brazil finishes.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; possibly very controversial; *author of the most popular SC resolution ever
Who am I, really? 47yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate; currently reading Principles for Dealing With The Changing World Order by Ray Dalio

User avatar
Concrete Slab
Envoy
 
Posts: 222
Founded: Jan 25, 2018
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Concrete Slab » Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:02 am

While this is definitely a creative idea and I love proposals about cards, I'd agree with BBD that this is definitely illegal in the SC and most likely illegal in the GA.

The most that the Security Council can do with Declarations is declare a stance on something. If you wanted to say the Luxury Tax was good, bad, or whatever, that'd be perfectly fine. However, it is way out of the SC's jurisdiction to create what you are proposing.

Furthermore, this would likely be illegal in the GA as well since you are creating positions that have to be filled and such. The proposal's angle would have to be changed to creating an organization, but not actually having that organization be a tangible one, if that makes sense.

Also, is it the World Assembly that collects the Luxury Tax? If so, in an IC sense at least, I'd find that to be problematic. The vast majority of nations that interact with card farming are puppets of those in the World Assembly. Whenever a non-WA nation makes a sale of 10.00 or above, is it the WA that's taking the Luxury Tax? That'd be weird. Furthermore, it's one thing if the WA legislates on topics, like the environment, that can be enforced in member nations, but not in non-member nations. However, since cards are a fundamental game mechanic that every nation can interact with, is it possible for there to be any GA proposals about cards? Food for thought.
Last edited by Concrete Slab on Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Concrete Slab
Author of GAR#471, GAR#479, SCR#271, SCR#370, SCR#426, and SCR#428
Co-author of SCR#300 and SCR#422
Proud Local Councilor, SPSF Soldier, and Legislator of the South Pacific

User avatar
Honeydewistania
Senator
 
Posts: 3636
Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Honeydewistania » Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:16 am

All the issues with legality could be solved by changing 'to be created' to just encouraging that all these actions be undertaken. All the 'will's to 'should's etc


she/her
Represented by Benji Schubert Hepperle in the WA


[the] ice age [is] coming

User avatar
Concrete Slab
Envoy
 
Posts: 222
Founded: Jan 25, 2018
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Concrete Slab » Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:18 am

Honeydewistania wrote:All the issues with legality could be solved by changing 'to be created' to just encouraging that all these actions be undertaken. All the 'will's to 'should's etc

My train of thought with that was:

"Well, then the Declaration would be useless since it doesn't actually do anything."

"Wait, isn't that just all Declarations?"
Concrete Slab
Author of GAR#471, GAR#479, SCR#271, SCR#370, SCR#426, and SCR#428
Co-author of SCR#300 and SCR#422
Proud Local Councilor, SPSF Soldier, and Legislator of the South Pacific

User avatar
Bhang Bhang Duc
Senator
 
Posts: 4007
Founded: Dec 17, 2003
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bhang Bhang Duc » Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:23 am

To be honest this feels more like a Technical Forum suggestion, if stripped down to the essentials mind you.
Last edited by Bhang Bhang Duc on Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Former Delegate of The West Pacific. Guardian (under many Delegates) of The West Pacific. TWP's Former Minister for World Assembly Affairs and former Security Council Advisor.

The West Pacific's Official Welshman, Astronomer and Old Fart
Pierconium wrote:I see Funk as an opportunistic manipulator that utilises the means available to him to reach his goals. In other words, a nation after my own heart.

RiderSyl wrote:If an enchantress made it so one raid could bring about world peace, Unibot would ask raiders to just sign a petition instead.

Sedgistan wrote:The SC has just has a spate of really shitty ones recently from Northumbria, his Watermelon fanboy…..

User avatar
Mechanocracy
Secretary
 
Posts: 29
Founded: Jun 12, 2022
Anarchy

Postby Mechanocracy » Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:44 am

9003 wrote:
Seeing as house the auction house now collects a tax on luxury art trades, which are trades defined as auctions that have a “matching” price of that of 10 or more bank.;

Knowing that the World assembly should be financially responsible and transparent in how it receives its fund and how those funds are spent;

Hereby declares that an organization henceforth known as the Central Cards Committee known as CCC for short be created for the allocation of funds collected and to decide in which ways they are spent;

The CCC will be initially funded by the X bank collected in tax up to this point from the taxation of the international artwork auction house;

Further, the CCC will release quarterly reports containing both the amount of tax collected thus far and how it has and will be spent in future reports;

The CCC will appoint and be self-governing with the world assembly oversight employing the following: Bookkeepers, inflation busters, art authenticators and Tax collectors. Funding for this is made possible by the taxes collected.

Furthermore establishing several preliminary tasks that the CCC should undertake, tasks that include but are not limited to upkeeping the auction house as a safe space for nations of all sorts to conduct business with one another in the art market, the payment of the artists who mint new works of art that are traded by nations, and the creation of a fund to remove the artworks of nations condemned by this body and to promote the art of those commended by it.

Co-Authors: New Sunville and New Makasta



This is our first draft of a declaration on where the tax goes for all large-scale card sales. For those who do not know recently added was a "luxury" tax it sits at 10% of the sale price above 10 bank meaning that if you spend 100 on a card you end up paying 9 bank in tax. While the site does not directly track this statistic (outwardly at least it may be internally) I have added to my discord bot in the public cards server the ability to look back and calculate the tax up to the current point in time. At this time there has been 14,134.51 bank spent on tax. My goal is to update X with the current amount of bank at the time of submitting the proposal to the floor allowing for it to be the most up-to-date number.
All feedback is welcome we all know I can't spell to save my life.

The declaration is basically asking for a new game mechanic to be implemented, where a mechanism for quarterly reports has to be created, and a centralized account controlled by a dynamic group of nations would need to be created, the way cards are made would have to be redone etc. ... That's not something the WA can do, per the FAQ: "The WA is not there to request new game features. I admit this would be nice: propose a change, vote it through, and BAM! The game gets better. But then, I would have to make the BAM! part happen".


From a more IC legislator perspective:

The CCC will appoint and be self-governing with the world assembly oversight employing the following: Bookkeepers, inflation busters, art authenticators and Tax collectors. Funding for this is made possible by the taxes collected.

Who appoints the initial members of the CCC, how would the committee self-govern, and what circumstances would cause the World Assembly's 'oversight' to turn into an action, punitive or otherwise, involving the committee and/or its member states and/or their sent delegations? As for those employed by the CCC, what would the duties of these offices entail? Since taxes are already being collected, what is the purpose of hiring more tax collectors? Could tax collectors target their political opponents unfairly?

Furthermore establishing several preliminary tasks that the CCC should undertake, tasks that include but are not limited to upkeeping the auction house as a safe space for nations of all sorts to conduct business with one another in the art market, the payment of the artists who mint new works of art that are traded by nations, and the creation of a fund to remove the artworks of nations condemned by this body and to promote the art of those commended by it.

Okay, let's go through some of those points...
    upkeeping the auction house as a safe space for nations of all sorts to conduct business with one another in the art market
    What are the primary threats to the auction house's safety, and how could action be taken to prevent or educate the general public on them?

    the payment of the artists who mint new works of art that are traded by nations
    How is the value of artworks produced decided, and how are conflicts of interest avoided if those artists have connects to the committee?

All of those questions probably don't matter considering the game mechanic illegality thing, and you're probably better off going to technical like BBD says, but I love the idea of using a WA declaration as a way to endorse a player-run organization without the stakes a commend or condemn of a nation/region invariably raises, and I wouldn't be opposed to a well-written/thought-out draft going to vote on something like that in the future
The Robotic Delegate of Concord & Regional Reptile Enthusiast of The League

User avatar
Simone Republic
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 395
Founded: Jul 09, 2019
Corporate Bordello

Postby Simone Republic » Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:48 am

Concrete Slab wrote:While this is definitely a creative idea and I love proposals about cards, I'd agree with BBD that this is definitely illegal in the SC and most likely illegal in the GA.

The most that the Security Council can do with Declarations is declare a stance on something. If you wanted to say the Luxury Tax was good, bad, or whatever, that'd be perfectly fine. However, it is way out of the SC's jurisdiction to create what you are proposing.

Furthermore, this would likely be illegal in the GA as well since you are creating positions that have to be filled and such. The proposal's angle would have to be changed to creating an organization, but not actually having that organization be a tangible one, if that makes sense.

Also, is it the World Assembly that collects the Luxury Tax? If so, in an IC sense at least, I'd find that to be problematic. The vast majority of nations that interact with card farming are puppets of those in the World Assembly. Whenever a non-WA nation makes a sale of 10.00 or above, is it the WA that's taking the Luxury Tax? That'd be weird. Furthermore, it's one thing if the WA legislates on topics, like the environment, that can be enforced in member nations, but not in non-member nations. However, since cards are a fundamental game mechanic that every nation can interact with, is it possible for there to be any GA proposals about cards? Food for thought.


I guess we can complain about "auction charges" for international art work, as that's the preferred term over "cards". We would need to keep this entirely IC, so I think we can declare that "transaction costs for international art work are too high" or something similar.

Support in principle but this would probably need a lot of clean up.
Last edited by Simone Republic on Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
I speak on NS forums in a personal capacity only. (He/Him)


Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Security Council

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

Advertisement

Remove ads