NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Repeal "Commend Ransium"

A chamber dedicated to the dissemination of inter-regional peace and goodwill, via force if necessary.

Advertisement

Remove ads

The North Polish Union
Senator

Founded: Nov 13, 2012
Moralistic Democracy

Postby The North Polish Union » Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:50 am

Wrapper wrote:
The North Polish Union wrote:Reasonable people ought to align with Interpretation 2 as relates to this draft for the reasons I explained above.

No, reasonable people will understand that it's just a typo and not overreact like some fifth-grade Grammar Nazi.

Signed,

A former fifth- (and sixth-, and seventh-, and eighth-) grade Grammar Nazi who'd irritated more than a couple English teachers in the 1970s.

As much as some people may dislike what they consider quibbling over an interposition of numbers, in the context of legislation the resolutions mean what they say they mean, and not necessarily what the author would like it to mean. This is a persistent issue for the GA; resolutions are regularly repealed and replaced as it is noticed that they don't do what they intended on doing. Imagine a future where all of us have long-since CTEd and a new batch of nations are running the show. Wouldn't they be confused to see this? I can only imagine what it must be like for the WA gnomes, who had to have their memories of Commend Ransium altered the moment 425 passed :P

Ransium wrote:Come on there are better reasons! I commended Drasnia and Drasnia then commended me it was clear quid pro quo! I condemned wrapper and Chan island and both nations actually contributed a lot, what up with that? I haven’t been active lately, do I still deserve it? I’m a mod and everyone hates the mods (surely this argument could be made obliquely enough to be legal, call my nation a bully who bosses around others or something). You can have your mockery and make this a half way decent repeal, don’t I at least deserve that?

That would be the sort of approach I would take if I believed you were no longer commendable, which is not the case. I even note in the last clause draft that my hope is that a replacement commendation would be passed. As it is, my draft is narrower in focus as it deals only with the bits that justify a repeal, rather than trying to make the argument that you yourself are not commendable.
Last edited by The North Polish Union on Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum wrote:keep your wet opinions to yourself. Byzantium and Ottoman will not come again. Whoever thinks of this wet dream will feel the power of the Republic's secular army.
Minskiev wrote:You are GP's dross.
Petrovsegratsk wrote:NPU, I know your clearly a Polish nationalist, but wtf is up with your obssession with resurrecting the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth?
The yoshin empire wrote:Grouping russians with slavs is like grouping germans with french , the two are so culturally different.

Balansujcie dopóki się da, a gdy się już nie da, podpalcie świat!
Author of S.C. Res. № 137
POLAND
STRONG!

Varanius
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 18, 2019
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Varanius » Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:58 am

The North Polish Union wrote:Imagine a future where all of us have ling-since CTEd and a new batch of nations are running the show. Wouldn't they be confused to see this?

Imagine a future where all of us are long-since CTEd and a new bunch of new nations are running the show. Wouldn’t they be confused to see that sentence and have no clue what you meant by “ling-since”?
Minister of Foreign Affairs and Guardian of the West Pacific
Author of SC#401
Gameplays Most Popular

Angeloid Astraea wrote:I can't think of anyone that creates controversy out of nothing better than you!
Excidium Planetis wrote:Yeah, if you could enlighten me as to why you're such an asshole, that would be great.
Koth wrote:Vara is such a dedicated hater, it's impressive
Mlakhavia wrote:Vara isn't a gameplay personality, he's a concentrated ball of spite

The North Polish Union
Senator

Moralistic Democracy

Postby The North Polish Union » Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:14 pm

Varanius wrote:
The North Polish Union wrote:Imagine a future where all of us have ling-since CTEd and a new batch of nations are running the show. Wouldn't they be confused to see this?

Imagine a future where all of us are long-since CTEd and a new bunch of new nations are running the show. Wouldn’t they be confused to see that sentence and have no clue what you meant by “ling-since”?

At least I can edit my posts. Can't edit a passed WA resolution 8)
Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum wrote:keep your wet opinions to yourself. Byzantium and Ottoman will not come again. Whoever thinks of this wet dream will feel the power of the Republic's secular army.
Petrovsegratsk wrote:NPU, I know your clearly a Polish nationalist, but wtf is up with your obssession with resurrecting the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth?
The yoshin empire wrote:Grouping russians with slavs is like grouping germans with french , the two are so culturally different.

POLAND
STRONG!

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:10 am

Wouldn't this be an argument for repealing 425 since it is the resolution with the error?

Even if you repealed Commend Ransium, 425 will still erroneously reference the wrong resolution.

The North Polish Union
Senator

Moralistic Democracy

Postby The North Polish Union » Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:11 am

Luna Amore wrote:Wouldn't this be an argument for repealing 425 since it is the resolution with the error?

Even if you repealed Commend Ransium, 425 will still erroneously reference the wrong resolution.

425 is a repeal itself so it can't be repealed.

POLAND
STRONG!

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:21 am

The North Polish Union wrote:
Luna Amore wrote:Wouldn't this be an argument for repealing 425 since it is the resolution with the error?

425 is a repeal itself so it can't be repealed.

Ah missed that, ok, then this is just silly.

Because it doesn't even do what it says it does. Removing Repeal Ransium doesn't fix the error in 425.

The North Polish Union
Senator

Moralistic Democracy

Postby The North Polish Union » Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:29 am

Luna Amore wrote:
The North Polish Union wrote:425 is a repeal itself so it can't be repealed.

Ah missed that, ok, then this is just silly.

Because it doesn't even do what it says it does. Removing Repeal Ransium doesn't fix the error in 425.

It doesn't fix the error in 425, which is there permanently. What a repeal and replace would fix is the WA's official position that 236 makes certain claims that don't appear to be drawn from the actual resolution the WA passed. If 236 is repealed then no such apparent contradiction exists because the WA will be making claims in 425 about a resolution that then later was struck from the WA record and so the veracity of those claims will have become a moot point.

POLAND
STRONG!

Team Leo
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 02, 2020
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Team Leo » Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:43 am

Bhang Bhang Duc wrote:Against. And you have not addressed the contents of “Commend Ransium” which would make your draft illegal.

Right. Jit trippin.

Dawn Denac
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 22, 2020
New York Times Democracy

Postby Dawn Denac » Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:55 am

Sedgistan wrote:It's a silly mistake but does not make the proposal illegal.

Sedgistan wrote:I don't think it's reasonable to read from the "Questioning" clause onwards as referring to SC#236. The typo at most strikes out the "Recognizing that SC#236" clause, and there is still more than sufficient content addressing the original resolution in there for it to satisfy Rule 1b (addressing the contents of the resolution it is repealing).

Just going to reference Sedge's above posts since the meat of this proposal was technically already addressed.

Back to factbooks.
Senior Assassin Hunter Killer

a

The Orwell Society
Minister

Founded: Apr 16, 2022
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Orwell Society » Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:00 am

Nope
The Orwell Society
Straight Male | Political Alignment: Centrist leaning conservative | NSGP Alignment: Independent | Proud Wellspringer, join The Wellspring today!

A vision without action is just a daydream

The North Polish Union
Senator

Moralistic Democracy

Postby The North Polish Union » Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:24 am

Dawn Denac wrote:
Sedgistan wrote:It's a silly mistake but does not make the proposal illegal.

Sedgistan wrote:I don't think it's reasonable to read from the "Questioning" clause onwards as referring to SC#236. The typo at most strikes out the "Recognizing that SC#236" clause, and there is still more than sufficient content addressing the original resolution in there for it to satisfy Rule 1b (addressing the contents of the resolution it is repealing).

Just going to reference Sedge's above posts since the meat of this proposal was technically already addressed.

Back to factbooks.

In that case Sedge was referring to the impact that would be had on 425. I don't interpret any of the clauses other than the one that specifically calls out 236 as referring to 236 for the purpose of this repeal.

In any case this hasn't received meaningful feedback aside from encouragement to change the direction of the repeal entirely. Once again, I don't have any desire to argue that Ransium isn't commendable or that 236 itself is otherwise inadequate (aside from the issue expressed in the draft).

Given the lack of feedback, I'd like to request a second opinion on the legality ruling (should that be asked here or in Moderation?); if Sedge's ruling is upheld I'll abandon this, if not I'll try and push on and hope for better advice from the rest of the SC's drafters going forward.

POLAND
STRONG!

Goobergunchia
Game Moderator

Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Goobergunchia » Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:39 am

The North Polish Union wrote:Given the lack of feedback, I'd like to request a second opinion on the legality ruling (should that be asked here or in Moderation?); if Sedge's ruling is upheld I'll abandon this, if not I'll try and push on and hope for better advice from the rest of the SC's drafters going forward.

Nothing in the proposal draft addresses the contents of SC#236 except for the first paragraph which praises it. The balance of the proposal instead addresses the contents of SC#435, which is not the target.

As such, I would concur in finding the proposal in violation of Rule 1b.

Goobergunchia
Game Moderator
(+5175 posts from mostly pre-Jolt)
Making NationStates a different place since 17 May 2003.
ADN Advisor (Ret.)
Nasicournian Officer
Citizen of the Rejected Realms
Discord: Goobergunch#2417
Ideological Bulwark #16
Sponsor, HR#22, SC#4
Rules: GA SC
NS Game Moderator
For your forum moderation needs: The Moderation Forum
For your in-game moderation needs: The Getting Help Page
What are the rules? See the OSRS.
Who are the mods, anyway?

The North Polish Union
Senator

Moralistic Democracy

Postby The North Polish Union » Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:46 am

Goobergunchia wrote:
The North Polish Union wrote:Given the lack of feedback, I'd like to request a second opinion on the legality ruling (should that be asked here or in Moderation?); if Sedge's ruling is upheld I'll abandon this, if not I'll try and push on and hope for better advice from the rest of the SC's drafters going forward.

Nothing in the proposal draft addresses the contents of SC#236 except for the first paragraph which praises it. The balance of the proposal instead addresses the contents of SC#435, which is not the target.

As such, I would concur in finding the proposal in violation of Rule 1b.

Goobergunchia
Game Moderator

Although I disagree and believe that my draft addresses 236 from the WA's (new-since-425) perspective, its obvious that argument isn't likely to prevail at this time.

Thanks for taking a second look.

I will no longer be actively pursuing this draft.
Last edited by The North Polish Union on Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

POLAND
STRONG!

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Security Council