NATION

PASSWORD

[Accepted] Fowl Play

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
West Barack and East Obama
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 20, 2022
Psychotic Dictatorship

[Accepted] Fowl Play

Postby West Barack and East Obama » Sat Oct 22, 2022 12:13 am

This is my first issue in a hot minute, so it might a bit rough, suggestions on how to improve the third option in particular are much appreciated.

[title] Fowl Play

[validity] low animal welfare laws

[desc] During a controversial cockfighting match in downtown @@CAPITAL@@ last night, a massive brawl was started between two rival gangs, causing the deaths of ten people. As a result, a heated debate has been sparked about the legality of blood sports such as cockfighting, dogfighting and bullfighting.

[option] "We have to put an end to this madness." sighs hardened Police Constable @@RANDOMNAME_1@@, @@HIS_1@@ face sporting a thousand yard stare. "These animal fighting matches are organised and spectated mostly by gangsters and illegal syndicates, so they're hotspots for all sorts of criminal activities from pickpocketing to drug dealing. We need to enforce strict regulations for these matches, such as stewards, metal detectors, all-seater arenas, and ensuring everyone is at least 50 metres from the fighting so they don't get too riled up."

[effect] binoculars sales are at an all-time high

[option] "Simply restricting these barbaric activities is not enough." wails @@RANDOMNAME_2@@, head of the @@CAPITAL@@ chapter of the Animal Safety Society. "These poor babies are bred and raised just to be vicious fighting machines. They're kept in inhumane, crowded cages until it's time to lead them out to their death. We inflict all this trauma on them, and for what? Self gratification? We need to banish all these cruel sports from our civilised country and free all these captive animals at once."

[effect] small children are frequently chased by free-roaming pitbulls

[option] "Oh, come on. I didn't come here to get hen-pecked by you wusses." scoffs cockfighting kingpin @@RANDOMNAME@@ as @@HE@@ strokes @@HIS@@ prized cock. "Blood sports are an integral part of @@CAPITAL@@ culture. Sure, things might get a little heated at times, but we've handled things fine for hundreds of years! If anything, you should be promoting these sports. Tourists pay top dollar to catch these legendary battles here, and you could get a share of the dosh if we decide to pay taxes. It's a win for all of us!"

[effect] if you want to make an omelette you have to break a few legs

[option] "As always, there's a simple compromise!" exclaims your Minister of Creative Solutions from under your desk, as he unplugs your computer to connect a gaming console. "Check it out - Matador Manager! If we promote these ultra violent video games to the populace, then we can save animals from being attacked in the real world and stop crime from being committed at physical events, all the while ensuring we don't lose a part of our culture! Now watch this!" He presses a button on his controller, causing pixelated blood to splatter all over your monitor.

[validity] allows video games, decent tech level

[effect] old folks yearn for the days when young people saw bloodthirsty death matches with their own eyes instead of through a screen

[title] Fowl Play

[description] There has been a surge in underground cockfighting matches across @@NAME@@, with fight promoters and bookies earning bucketfuls of @@CURRENCY@@ every match.

[validity] adult?

[option] "It's barbaric!" growls perpetually angry animal rights activist @@RANDOMNAME_1@@. "Forcing animals to be injured or even killed in fights is simply disgusting. Crack down on these brutal fights and free all of those poor animals at once!"

[effect] children are warned to stay off the streets whenever a pit bull fighting ring is busted

[option] "Hold on, there's no need to grab the bull by the horns on this matter!" says macho matador @@RANDOMNAME_2@. "Sure, we can ban the more... uncivilised sports, but bullfighting has been a @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ tradition for decades! In fact, you should promote bullfighting so that everyone can realise what a real sport by real sportsmen looks like!" @@HE_2@@ obnoxiously flexes @@HIS@@ muscles in your general direction.

[effect] animal rights activists aren't the only ones seeing red

[option] "What a load of bull." scoffs fighting kingpin @@RANDOMNAME_3@@ as @@HE_3@@ strokes @@HIS_3@@ prized cock. "Everything is fine and no one's getting hurt. I'm making money, and maybe you could get a share if you keep us in business. Capiche?"

[effect] you have to break a few legs to make an omelette
Last edited by West Barack and East Obama on Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:21 am, edited 14 times in total.
Sonnel is the place.

6x Issues Author | Political Figures | Sports Stuff

██████████

Cataleenia
Envoy

Founded: Apr 11, 2022
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Cataleenia » Sat Oct 22, 2022 12:29 am

Option 2 either needs all of the ‘He’s and ‘his’ changed into @@HE@@ or @@HIS@@ or change @@RANDOMNAME_2@@ to @@RANDOMMALENAME_2@@ or similar

Also, unrelated but, you need to update your issues dispatch
Last edited by Cataleenia on Sat Oct 22, 2022 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
WARNING! I am bri’ish, do NOT come within a 50m radius without protection.
they/them
[violet] wrote:Urggg... trawling through ads looking for roman orgies...
[violet] wrote:lol
Hispida wrote:english is a rather tough language. you can learn it through tough thorough thought, though.
Armeattla wrote:You know, watching a personality cult live is pretty fun.
Racoda wrote:
Kuraiva wrote:IS THIS dumpster fire APRIL FOOLS UPDATE or something permanent!?
Nothing is permanent.

Diplomat

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby West Barack and East Obama » Sat Oct 22, 2022 12:35 am

Cataleenia wrote:Option 2 either needs all of the ‘He’s and ‘his’ changed into @@HE@@ or @@HIS@@ or change @@RANDOMNAME_2@@ to @@RANDOMMALENAME_2@@ or similar

Also, unrelated but, you need to update your issues dispatch

Fixed. On both accounts :)
Sonnel is the place.

██████████

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Oct 23, 2022 2:19 am

Wouldn't the person in option 3 advocate for both sports?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Diplomat

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby West Barack and East Obama » Fri Oct 28, 2022 3:02 am

Bump
Sonnel is the place.

██████████

Diplomat

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby West Barack and East Obama » Thu Nov 03, 2022 4:54 am

bomp
Sonnel is the place.

██████████

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:05 am

This issue is weak. It's riding on a good concept and one funny line (stroking his prized cock), but the rest of the writing is poor, and not up to your usual standards.

You've got some unimaginative characters - the outraged animal rights activist and corrupt gambling boss are the worst offenders. There's no real thought of the trade-offs or other angles to this - there's more than just gambling. Option 2 tries to add a bit more, but doesn't feel like it fits very well, shoving a totally different sport into the narrative so early on. What about the cultural considerations? What else will people do for entertainment? What happens to the animals if you ban the sport? Would this issue (or some of its options) be different for vegetarian nations? Does animal fighting draw in tourists? Are there risks to it, like injuries to spectators? Could cock-fighting be toned down so no people/arnimals were harmed, maybe though taking the spurs off, and something silly like fitting them with foam body armour?

Above all, this issue is missing a "hen-pecked" pun.

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Founded: Feb 26, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:17 am

- Hmm, I feel like this either needs some kind of validity check, or else a little more explanation for why there's a sudden surge in a fairly obscure (in modern times) activity. The fact that it apparently has to be underground suggests that either gambling is relatively restricted, or there's extensive focus on animal welfare. Based on the options, it seems like animal welfare laws are the absent party and the gambling isn't really referenced – that would suggest it has to take place in a nation where gambling is very much allowed.

- The issue is about cockfighting, but then goes on to spend significant effort on dogfighting and bullfighting. It might be useful to have the description reference animal fighting somewhat more broadly, to set the stage for the choices that follow.

- The first speaker could do with a bit of context for why they feel these fights are so bad. Players may not be familiar with the details of cockfighting (or other types for that matter), and might not know about things like selectively breeding for aggression, use of metal blades, and the frequency of fatalities. Having the speaker mention those kinds of things would both support their argument and fill in the player at the same time.

- Is there a way to make effect line 1 a little snappier? The idea makes sense – just want it to flow smoothly.

- For option 2 there are just a couple wording alterations that might be worth playing with. We specifically don't include animal fighting under the umbrella of the "No Sports" policy, so we'll want to make sure we don't create the impression that that's what's on the table here (ie, be cautious with the use of the term "sport" or "sports"). Nothing wrong with it otherwise – just a technical nitpick due to that policy. I would also suggest citing bullfighting as part of some specific subset of the nation's tradition/culture, rather than making a claim about the entirety of the nation, which some players might feel strongly about. This choice is asking you to help it become widespread, which suggests that it isn't already.

- The third speaker's argument is a little weak – "everything is fine" (what does that even mean?) "and no one's getting hurt" (we're being told there are animals dying – might want to specify no "humans" getting hurt). What action is the speaker requesting that will keep them in business?

- I love the choice of wordplay in effect 3 – top notch. I usually hear it as "you can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs" but if yours is the syntax you prefer, I think it probably works. Brilliant pun either way.

Diplomat

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby West Barack and East Obama » Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:26 am

Thanks for the feedback guys - I've pretty much overhauled the entire draft. Couldn't really think of how to portray the animal rights character any better, so if anyone has a suggestion for that it would be great :)
Last edited by West Barack and East Obama on Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sonnel is the place.

██████████

Diplomat

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby West Barack and East Obama » Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:26 am

Bump!
Sonnel is the place.

██████████

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:39 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Wouldn't the person in option 3 advocate for both sports?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Diplomat

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby West Barack and East Obama » Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:02 am

Australian rePublic wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Wouldn't the person in option 3 advocate for both sports?

Now that option 2 has changed this comment is no longer applicable :p
Sonnel is the place.

██████████

Diplomat

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby West Barack and East Obama » Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:10 am

Bump!
Sonnel is the place.

██████████

Diplomat

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby West Barack and East Obama » Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:50 am

I am thinking about submitting this soon
Sonnel is the place.

██████████

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Founded: Feb 26, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:58 am

It does look like it's in pretty good shape for submission.

The only thing I can suggest is perhaps to have the first option make a little clearer why these matches in particular are a problem (as opposed to something like an @@ANIMAL@@ball game). Since it is evidently perfectly legal to hold these events, we can't just assume that they're automatically underground or gang-controlled. Doesn't need much – just a few words here or there from the speaker, speculating about the cause, so we can understand why the precautions suggested might work.

Diplomat

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby West Barack and East Obama » Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:41 pm

Verdant Haven wrote:It does look like it's in pretty good shape for submission.

The only thing I can suggest is perhaps to have the first option make a little clearer why these matches in particular are a problem (as opposed to something like an @@ANIMAL@@ball game). Since it is evidently perfectly legal to hold these events, we can't just assume that they're automatically underground or gang-controlled. Doesn't need much – just a few words here or there from the speaker, speculating about the cause, so we can understand why the precautions suggested might work.

Thanks VH :D

I have made some edits with regards to your suggestion, how does it look now?
Last edited by West Barack and East Obama on Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sonnel is the place.

██████████

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?