NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Aquaplane

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
The Rhein States
Attaché

Founded: Jul 15, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

[DRAFT] Aquaplane

Postby The Rhein States » Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:09 am

I am going to try again with a construction error, again an airport, but based on a real story.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/07/clim ... ansai.html
I have asked a friend of mine, a pilot, if it was possible for a plane to aquaplane/hydroplane, in some rare cases it may do it. for example when there is too much water on the runway. He should be credited, IF I can make this one succesful.

Aquaplane

Validity: Must have chosen 379.3

Dilemma:
Air Might One, your personal transport aircraft, is making its descent towards the island airport after a state visit to Brancaland. It is raining and blowing heavily during the landing. The aircraft touches down but soon loses contact with the runway. In all likelihood it will crash into the ocean at the other end. Luckily, the experienced pilot managed to steer off the runway and get the aircraft bogged on the verge.

Option 1: “Everything alright, Sir?”, asks your pilot, who starts to swear, “There was too much water on the runway which caused a build up in front of the landing gear, leaving me unable to slow down enough, otherwise known as aquaplaning. All because this airport is sinking due to a construction failure! You could have died and if nothing changes it will! The runway needs to be raised so planes can safely depart and land.”

EF Passengers are stranded on the runway as it is the only part of the airport that sticks above the water

Option 2: “That won’t work!”, responds @@RANDOMNAME@@, an engineer who has travelled with you for business deals, making @@HIS@@ way towards the nearest exit, “The island will keep sinking and at some point it is physically impossible to raise the storm barriers higher. We need to add extra sand underneath to stabilise the island. The airport will be able to keep in operation during the construction work, I promise.”

EF: passengers can only enter the hydraulically jacked up terminal using a ladder

Option 3: As you have safely exited the plane your minister of finance comes sliding down the evacuation slide as he ponders, “This was a terrible idea. All this money spent on a sinking island. Expanding the old airport was a better, and now, a much cheaper choice. It is not too late, as the airport still has to be demolished. We should reopen the old one, perhaps even save money by repurposing the buildings and equipment of this airport.”

EF: an expensive bare slab of sand is slowly eroding into the sea

Option 4:Some muffled tones coming from your suitcase”, as a guard unzips your suitcase your nephew pops out, secretly hiding himself to get a free trip to Brancaland, uttering a genius idea, “If the water is unstoppable, let’s work with it. We need to convert the fleet of Air @@NATION@@ to aquaplanes with an aqua-airport! A world first.”

EF: flying tickets include a free swim to the shores
Last edited by The Rhein States on Sat Oct 08, 2022 1:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:49 pm

You might have to explain what Aquaplaning is
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

The Rhein States
Attaché

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Rhein States » Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:23 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:You might have to explain what Aquaplaning is

Okay, some might not know what aquaplaning is. Have to try to keep the description as short as possible though.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:46 am

The Rhein States wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:You might have to explain what Aquaplaning is

Okay, some might not know what aquaplaning is. Have to try to keep the description as short as possible though.

You still have to specify what it is in the issue
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

The Rhein States
Attaché

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Rhein States » Sat Oct 08, 2022 1:52 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:
The Rhein States wrote:

You still have to specify what it is in the issue

Oh, in that way. I have added the aquaplane explanation to option 1 now.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:21 am

I'm sorry I didn't mention this earlier, but why would a leader of a country concern himself with such matters? This would probably be for an engineering minister of something like that. The leader is neither qualified nor has the time to deal with this kind of stuff. That's why countries have departments of infrastructure. The leader can't dictate every minor decision in a country. Joe Biden, for example, might decide to increase the maintenance budget for the main road between New York and Washington DC. However, he's not gonna drive up and down looking for pot holes. Same logic applies here

Also, option 1's use of the word "sir" implies that leader is male, which is a non-no
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:27 am, edited 3 times in total.

Cataleenia
Envoy

Founded: Apr 11, 2022
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Cataleenia » Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:59 am

I would recommend changing ‘The island airport’, to ‘A coastal airport’
WARNING! I am bri’ish, do NOT come within a 50m radius without protection.
they/them
[violet] wrote:Urggg... trawling through ads looking for roman orgies...
[violet] wrote:lol
Hispida wrote:english is a rather tough language. you can learn it through tough thorough thought, though.
Armeattla wrote:You know, watching a personality cult live is pretty fun.
Racoda wrote:
Kuraiva wrote:IS THIS dumpster fire APRIL FOOLS UPDATE or something permanent!?
Nothing is permanent.

Pennyslov
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 18, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Pennyslov » Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:25 pm

This Title's Too Short And Not Creative
Do Not Post Advice In My Forum Posts!

An Incredible Idea To Ban Vegans/Vegetarians Or Eating Fruits/Vegetables! That Is Proof That Global Warming Is Great!

ONP News Pennyslov: Mayo Gong's Application To Join The Ovan Legislative Was Rejected|Police Officer Is Wrongly Accused Of Veganism And Was Put On Death Row|Ovan Monkey Is Extinct|

Tsardom of Alaska
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jan 07, 2021
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Tsardom of Alaska » Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:27 pm

Cataleenia wrote:I would recommend changing ‘The island airport’, to ‘A coastal airport’

What if the nation is landlocked?
the guy who is like you know the dude

Cataleenia
Envoy

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Cataleenia » Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:13 pm

Tsardom of Alaska wrote:
Cataleenia wrote:I would recommend changing ‘The island airport’, to ‘A coastal airport’

What if the nation is landlocked?

Yes, but ‘The island airport’ would also suggest that the nation is not landlocked
WARNING! I am bri’ish, do NOT come within a 50m radius without protection.
they/them
[violet] wrote:Urggg... trawling through ads looking for roman orgies...
[violet] wrote:lol
Hispida wrote:english is a rather tough language. you can learn it through tough thorough thought, though.
Armeattla wrote:You know, watching a personality cult live is pretty fun.
Racoda wrote:
Kuraiva wrote:IS THIS dumpster fire APRIL FOOLS UPDATE or something permanent!?
Nothing is permanent.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:23 am

Cataleenia wrote:
Tsardom of Alaska wrote:What if the nation is landlocked?

Yes, but ‘The island airport’ would also suggest that the nation is not landlocked

You can get islands in lakes and even in rivers, not just out to sea.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Pennyslov
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 18, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Pennyslov » Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:45 am

Bears Armed wrote:
Cataleenia wrote:Yes, but ‘The island airport’ would also suggest that the nation is not landlocked

You can get islands in lakes and even in rivers, not just out to sea.
I Agree With You
Do Not Post Advice In My Forum Posts!

An Incredible Idea To Ban Vegans/Vegetarians Or Eating Fruits/Vegetables! That Is Proof That Global Warming Is Great!

ONP News Pennyslov: Mayo Gong's Application To Join The Ovan Legislative Was Rejected|Police Officer Is Wrongly Accused Of Veganism And Was Put On Death Row|Ovan Monkey Is Extinct|

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:42 am

Cataleenia wrote:
Tsardom of Alaska wrote:What if the nation is landlocked?

Many issues (a few, but not all, written by yours truely) have already established that nation isn't landlocked. Which is actually quite discouraging to those who want to write issues SPECIFICALLY about landlocked countries
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:03 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:Many issues (a few, but not all, written by yours truely) have already established that nation isn't landlocked. Which is actually quite discouraging to those who want to write issues SPECIFICALLY about landlocked countries
Even if a country isn't landlocked, it might have trouble accessing some oceans. For example, Finland has plenty of coastline on the Baltic Sea, but a narrow, barely-inhabited strip of land belonging to Norway keeps it from having direct access to the Arctic Ocean, forcing their ships to take the long way around Scandinavia if they want to go there. Burma almost but not quite has direct access to the Gulf of Thailand (and if they got direct access, that would split Thailand into two disconnected pieces). Saudi Arabia can't reach the Mediterranean without either passing through the articial Suez Canal or conquering Israel. Iraq has an even harder time, with only a tiny stretch of coast on the Persian Gulf, which is still theoretically enough to sail anywhere in the World Ocean.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:50 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Many issues (a few, but not all, written by yours truely) have already established that nation isn't landlocked. Which is actually quite discouraging to those who want to write issues SPECIFICALLY about landlocked countries
Even if a country isn't landlocked, it might have trouble accessing some oceans. For example, Finland has plenty of coastline on the Baltic Sea, but a narrow, barely-inhabited strip of land belonging to Norway keeps it from having direct access to the Arctic Ocean, forcing their ships to take the long way around Scandinavia if they want to go there. Burma almost but not quite has direct access to the Gulf of Thailand (and if they got direct access, that would split Thailand into two disconnected pieces). Saudi Arabia can't reach the Mediterranean without either passing through the articial Suez Canal or conquering Israel. Iraq has an even harder time, with only a tiny stretch of coast on the Persian Gulf, which is still theoretically enough to sail anywhere in the World Ocean.

Let's move this discussion to the writer's block

The Rhein States
Attaché

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Rhein States » Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:03 am

Nice for all the reactions that aren't much of a help for me.

This issue is a follow-up for issue 379.3 Stakes on a Plane. Leader has chosen to relocate the airport to an island along the coast and uses this airport also as a base for government planes, which seems acceptable. As issue 379 does not make a difference between landlocked and not landlocked nations, this one doesn't either. As it is paramount that the leader can make trips abroad this IS an issue that makes 'sense', certainly when you almost crash (hence the way this issue is written).

But you do have a point Australian Republic, the leader can be a female ;)

As for the name, it refers to all the water that has accumulated on the island and what happens to the government plane.
Last edited by The Rhein States on Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

Cataleenia
Envoy

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Cataleenia » Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:27 am

The Rhein States wrote:-snip-

If that is the case then, why not have it be @@ANIMAL@@ Island Airport as ‘The Island Airport’ may seem strange oit of context. In fact, why not have it say ‘@@ANIMAL@@ island airport, an airport that is mainly used for government travel,’

I’ve edited the dilemma part to show that change.
Strike = Removed
Red = New

Air Might One, your personal transport aircraft, is making its descent towards the island airport @@ANIMAL@@ Island airport, an airport that is mainly used for government travel, after a state visit to Brancaland. It is raining and blowing heavily during the landing. The aircraft touches down but soon loses contact with the runway. In all likelihood it will crash into the ocean at the other end. Luckily, the experienced pilot managed to steer off the runway and get the aircraft bogged on the verge.
Last edited by Cataleenia on Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Rhein States
Attaché

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Rhein States » Tue Oct 18, 2022 12:25 am

Cataleenia wrote:
The Rhein States wrote:-snip-

If that is the case then, why not have it be @@ANIMAL@@ Island Airport as ‘The Island Airport’ may seem strange oit of context. In fact, why not have it say ‘@@ANIMAL@@ island airport, an airport that is mainly used for government travel,’

I’ve edited the dilemma part to show that change.
Strike = Removed
Red = New

Air Might One, your personal transport aircraft, is making its descent towards the island airport @@ANIMAL@@ Island airport, an airport that is mainly used for government travel, after a state visit to Brancaland. It is raining and blowing heavily during the landing. The aircraft touches down but soon loses contact with the runway. In all likelihood it will crash into the ocean at the other end. Luckily, the experienced pilot managed to steer off the runway and get the aircraft bogged on the verge.

This issue is intended to be a follow-up for 379.3. Looking at the issue it talks about an international airport, it must also be an airport for normal passengers. You can't take the US situation, where it is a military base but more like a german issue. The german government uses the BER airport as its hub, which is also usable for commercial planes. I will try to rewrite parts and invent some other options make the point clearer.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?